Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 4th Jun 11, 11:19 AM
    • 9,343Posts
    • 17,889Thanks
    zippychick
    • 4th Jun 11, 11:19 AM
    4th Jun 11 at 11:19 AM
    Hi everyone,

Welcome to the seventh Grocery Challenge of 2012

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your March budget, then keep on posting in the:
    June 2012 Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be £1 a week or £20 a week.

If you are currently spending £200 a month don't suddenly drop it to £100 - you'll never do it but if you cut £20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is £80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on £80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    By request, here is Spiggles wonderful helpful post

We all have different budgets that suit our households. The most important thing to remember is that you set yours according to your needs and finances. It can take time to get to where you want to be too so don't knock yourself out if you go over in the first few months. We are here to support each other and it is not a competition.

I thought it might help to outline where we've come from and the top tips I've learned.

When we started in March 2010 we had spent in excess of £600 in the previous month. This had to stop, (there's only me and him and our two beautiful black cats) something which thankfully my OH completely agreed with so I have been lucky that he has been on board from the start. He gave me his debit card voluntarily and I still keep hold of it until he needs to get something for the home. At the same time we set up a system of pocket money (pm) at £15 each per week which doesn't count towards the GC and which we can each spend as we wish with no comebacks or complaints. OH predominantly uses his pm on his beer and I ferret mine away mostly.

The next step was to set up my own spreadsheet which is absolutely simple onto which I put all spends so that I have a continuous running total for the month and for the year. We initially set our budget at £280 per month and brought it down to £240 where it resides for most of the year it is occasionally increased to allow for extras e.g. Christmas to £260.

The important 'tools' we found greatly helped and continue to do so now are:

Stocktake cupboards, fridge, freezer - make lists and ensure that the older products get used up first. You'll be amazed at what you find squirrelled away and it will help with your shopping list as you'll realise that you don't actually need so much.

Before you go shopping check staples - running out of milk, bread, butter, etc often leads to going into a shop for one thing and coming out £20 lighter. Always check these and if they'll run out tomorrow buy them the same time as getting other things.

Always make a shopping list and stick to it - the supermarkets (sm) try every which way to get us to spend so having a list and strong resolve is the only way to beat them.

Keep every receipt - and then note it down on your spreadsheet/spend diary so that you always know where you are.

When tempted, ask yourself do you NEED it or just WANT it - now this advice goes with two things. Firstly, the things you see in store when shopping that APPEAR to be bargains - if you hadn't planned spending the money then its not a bargain. Secondly, the sm send us loads of vouchers for £X off a spend of £XX - if you had no NEED to spend £XX then have you SAVED anything???

Use my supermarket to compare prices (limited to four of the biggies) - The site may be used to actually do an online shop at whichever of the big four offers the best value or, if you have the time and sm availability, to make up lists for visiting each of the stores so that you can purchase all you need at different stores thus getting the best possible value. (I'd add, do a 'shop' virtually on this site and take the list you create on it with you, whichever one you shop at, it will help keep target prices in your head and allow you to spot bargains. MrM is not included but you can do a virtual list on their website so you know what you're going to be spending.)

Always have a list - this is just as important when shopping online as shopping on foot.

Use Approved Foods online (with a list!) - if you don't mind out of date things (ood) or you can search for only in date items. The only drawback is storing the goods as far as I can tell. Oh, and watch the delivery as it's done on a scaled charge for weight so keep an eye on it. You can of course do an AF order with friends, family, colleagues or like minded neighbours. Other GCers use Big Br*nds 4 Less too.

Invest in a breadmaker - we have saved so much by making our own bread. The prices in the shops are extortionate for bread these days. There's loads of advice on this thread and others in the forum on this.

Use the recipe lists - always posted at the front of a new thread. There are fantastic, tasty, healthy and economical recipes to use on them and there are a number of other threads on the forum such as Weezl's that will help you to eat well on a budget.

Shop locally - the local greengrocer (or preferably market but I don't have one ) is usually cheaper as an option for fruit and veg (f&v) than the sm. Often the prices may look the same but when you look at the quantity for the same price the greengrocer will be cheaper. The same goes for the local butcher. Often you will have far more variety of meat available, advice on how to cook a particular meat can be offered and there is (for me at least) no comparison in terms of quality. We buy our huge FR eggs there and I'm yet to find an equivalent FR egg in a sm at the same or lower price. Obvioulsy if you have your own chicks/know someone who has chicks you can get them even cheaper again.

Grow your own - it's quite simple to grow some f&v at home even if it's only in pots on the patio. There are also supportive threads on the forum for this.

Cook your own - making meals at home from ingredients is far more economical, often tastes better than shop bought and is probably far better healthwise.

Meal Plan - this is something that others can advise on as we don't do it. I have a tremendous capacity for eating the same food over many days but presented in slightly different form. For example, we could buy £7 worth of brisket from the butchers and eat it as pot roast for a couple of days, sliced for sarnies, sliced with a salad, chucked into a casserole or shredded up and fried as crispy beef.

Don't waste food - either only make what you need or use any leftovers for other meals/creations or freeze it for another day.

Withdraw the cash you want to spend - and keep it in a separate purse. This can be particularly effective as you have the money in front of you reducing rather than spending with plastic which is so easy to lose track of. Very useful when you first start out.

Don't go to the shops to browse - this can only lead to pain and hardship!!!

Keep posting and reading the thread - there really is no better supportive, wise and inspirational place to be! I think I saw that somebody mentioned forgetting to read/post. I get around this by using the Advanced button to post, below the window where your text is displayed you will see Additional Options. In the Thread Subscription box use the dropdown to select either instant email notification (this is what I use) or daily email notification before you submit your latest post. Then you will get an email into your inbox from which you can click to the thread to see what others are saying.

Always remember the sm is not your friend - it wants to profit from you and take as much of your money as it can coerce out of you!

So, there you go as a starting point. Others on here will offer tremendous advice on meal planning. And don't forget, the only silly question is the one you didn't ask!

See you all later,
    Spigs
    For quidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #3, #4, #5 and #6 on this thread.

For everyones totals, see post #7 on this thread

I hope everyone has a great month!

Zip
    Last edited by zippychick; 04-06-2012 at 12:30 PM.
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

Page 45
    • GreenFairy
    • By GreenFairy 11th Jul 12, 8:45 PM
    • 301 Posts
    • 3,786 Thanks
    GreenFairy
    I hate microwaves with a passion, but after reading rave reviews I made Curry Queen's microwave steamed pudding this evening, complete with golden syrup and a little river of custard. It was absolutely gorgeous and I can see myself making all the combinations of it that I can think of!

Just what's needed on a horribly wet day - the rain was so heavy this afternoon that it set off car alarms in the area!
    Feb GC €253.11/€400
    Jan GC €203.37/€400
    • meg72
    • By meg72 11th Jul 12, 8:46 PM
    • 5,082 Posts
    • 46,072 Thanks
    meg72
    [QUOTE=PennyGrabber;5443164

Bought loo rolls yest in t; not impressed with how expensive and carp they are!! I'm so used to getting mine from farmf00ds, that I have really noticed the difference. Will def make sure I get my next load there!!!

Night all,

PG x[/QUOTE]

Have you tried the Iceland ones, 4 for a pound, 3ply and really good,I got fed up of chasing offers and stick to these now
    Slimming World at target
    • meg72
    • By meg72 11th Jul 12, 9:00 PM
    • 5,082 Posts
    • 46,072 Thanks
    meg72
    My quote included the electricity. I asked for my Panny as a Christmas present one year and several people clubbed together for it.

Todays dinner was chicken, sprinkled with garlic powder and done in the slow cooker, potatoes tossed in butter, carrots and peas.

Hopefully enough chicken left to make another meal, possibly Chicken and Leek pie but I will have to see.

Was outside earlier putting the recycling out and my nieghbour came out to put some rubbish in the bin and made the comment she was emptying her fridge of all OOD stuff. I asked her what she was chucking and she said potatoes that had sprouted, carrots that were OOD from the 25th June, leeks 28th June, cheese 20th June, eggs 28th June and that is what I remember, there was other stuff. I said to her that they were perfectly fine and ok to eat and wouldn't poison her and that they were BBD's which meant that the products were best eaten before that date for taste and quality but were absolutly fine after that and if any were going a bit bendy then you could make vegetable soup or pop them in a casserole. Also that eggs would be fine past their BBD and explained the float test. All she had to do with the sprouty bits on the potatoes was take them off.

My goodness she gave me a mouthful about me trying to endanger her family and how dare I lecture her. I pointed out that this is how I live and we are perfectly healthy and she had been moaning to me last week about the cost of food and how much she was spending for 3 of them (£150 a week) and that this week I had spent £55 on shopping for 5 of us and that maybe she had better take my advice and go onto MSE and learn about food. She dumped her stuff in the bin and huffed in doors I was really trying to bite my tongue as she was letting loose at me.
    Originally posted by tigerfeet2006
    Oops,maybe you should have asked her if you could have what she was throwing away for your compost bin and then salvagedwhat you could.
    Slimming World at target
    • GreenFairy
    • By GreenFairy 11th Jul 12, 9:02 PM
    • 301 Posts
    • 3,786 Thanks
    GreenFairy
    What am I missing? What else do I need to do to slash my spending?
    Originally posted by XSpender
    I find a lot of "old fashioned" meals like stews to be really economical. I tend to do one stew, lasagne or cottage pie a week as myself and hubs will both get dinner out of one pot/dish for two or three nights - brings the price per meal right down, even using free range meat (less than €1 a portion).

I watch portion sizes - small amounts of meat, plenty of veg. Helps balance out things and if anyone complains, just say you're ensuring that they get their five a day I also try not to make mash too often, even though I love it, as I could easily eat 3 or 4 spuds worth, but if I boil or roast them I only eat half as many.

Outside of three main meals if anyone's hungry, there's bread and jam or the fruit bowl. No biscuits, crisps or other snacky things in the presses - started saving a fortune when I stopped buying them.
    Feb GC €253.11/€400
    Jan GC €203.37/€400
    • jasmin10
    • By jasmin10 11th Jul 12, 9:12 PM
    • 893 Posts
    • 1,720 Thanks
    jasmin10
    I am a bt worried about my budget for next month. Even with working on a decent reduction in my weekly spend compared with this month I still can't see how I can curb my spending to bring it down to the level I can afford next month. Dropping from £137/week to £80/week or less just doesn't seem possible but it must be, other people manage quite well on a lot less I need to crunch some more numbers, meal plan every meal, look at cheaper alternatives for every thing I buy, include some cheap meals each week and avoid taking DH when I go to the shop.

What am I missing? What else do I need to do to slash my spending?

I'm off to re read the front posts again to remind myself of the basics.
    Don't know if it would help but this what I do and have managed to get by on my £40 a week budget for the 4 of us.

I meal plan and have one meal out of the week made out of mince and alternate each week what I do with it ie cottage pie one wk and lasagne the next, Sunday is always a chicken dinner so that Monday I can strip it and make a curry out of the remain. Tuesday hm old ww recipe cheesy pasta bake, wed, the meal with mince in, thurs sausage egg an chips or something along those lines, friday breaded fish and chips or jacket, sat hm pizza, garlic bread and chips.

I also buy a big sack of spuds (25kg or something) for £6, this lasts us about two months covered over in the garage.

Anyhow, this is the basic sort of stuff I do. Beans etc for lunches and I make bread, blamonge (sp), jelly for puddings, own yogurt and lollies for dd.
    Last edited by jasmin10; 11-07-2012 at 9:18 PM.
    2016 - Pinecone £36 Pureprofile £25.55 Vivatic £25.00 TopCashback £1742.63
    My Little World
    • tigerfeet2006
    • By tigerfeet2006 11th Jul 12, 9:25 PM
    • 13,812 Posts
    • 29,889 Thanks
    tigerfeet2006
    Meg, I was a bit slow off the mark there. Just been out to see if I can get the bag but she's put a couple of big bin bags in there on top. It stinks, so it's a no go unfortunately.
    BSCno.87
    The only stupid question is an unasked one
    I now live in a country that is 4 hours ahead of the UK so you may now find I post at weird times
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]
    • XSpender
    • By XSpender 11th Jul 12, 10:05 PM
    • 3,338 Posts
    • 34,388 Thanks
    XSpender
    Thank you for the tips GreenFairy and Jasmin10.

Your budget is amazing Jasmin10. I am feeding 2 adults, 1 toddler (but I don't feed him during the week as he in childcare), 2 small dogs and include all toiletries, nappies and wipes, cleaning and laundry too.

I do think cutting out snacky things will save a few pounds, £ and lb. These find their way into the trolley more often when DH is with me so going on my own will help. I have stopped buying crisps, we don't need them, there isn't many that are GF and when I do buy them DH scoffs them all in a couple of days so he prefers for them not to be in the house and it winds me up when he does it

I have just started eating meat again after 25 years and haven't progressed to red meat yet and my coeliac disease means I can't eat quorn mince anymore but I have a lot of sausages in the freezer to make into a casserole and I would like to make a nice chicken casserole if I can find a good recipe.

I am going to have another look at my meal plan and add in a couple of pasta bakes as I have 2 tonnes of GF pasta in the larder from lots of freebie samples and the leftovers will do for DH lunch.

We don't eat puddings but I do like something sweet at work and tend to bake a cake and biscuits for me to eat during the week. I am going to make better use of my prescription certificate and get flour mixes to bake with. I have only had one scrip so far so I am still learning what items work best for me.

Our dinner plates are quite large but I have 2 smaller ones I might start using to cut our portions. Our waistlines will thank us I am sure
    • ikkle87
    • By ikkle87 11th Jul 12, 10:26 PM
    • 8,284 Posts
    • 179,659 Thanks
    ikkle87
    How do you do your corned beef stew?
    Originally posted by PennyGrabber
    We normally get a big pan and cook all the veg we want in the stew, so today had potatoes, carrots, swede, onion, cabbage. When the potatoes are almost fully cooked take some of the water out and add gravy granules to it then pour back in pan (can add more gravy to the pan if needed or to thicken) chop a tin of corned beef into cubes throw in pan, stir and leave to simmer for 10 minutes. I always have mine with brown sauce. Its comfort food in our family lol.

eta: where i'm from it's known as corned beef hash but I know other regions know that as something different.
    Last edited by ikkle87; 11-07-2012 at 10:29 PM.
    You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.

xx Mama to a gorgeous Cranio Baby xx
    • MrsCD
    • By MrsCD 11th Jul 12, 10:30 PM
    • 745 Posts
    • 11,241 Thanks
    MrsCD
    I just went to mr S and on the way saw that there's a wednesday market nd it's so much better than the saturday one!! Good value, big variety of stuff and it's so organised with aisles and baskets. Got courgettes, aubergines, peppers, garlic, grapefruits and the biggest cauliflower ever. And milk and cheese from mr S. Must update my sig now.
    Originally posted by adelight
    Good to see you back - adelight

Happy anniversary - Helen Jelly

Have a good trip away Florenceem

NSD for me again I was really pleased with myself this afternoon, as I needed to bake a cake for tomorrow, but forgot to buy marg to cook with when I did my shopping on Tuesday. So I hunted online and found a brownie recipe on Good Food which didn't need marg, just a small amount of oil. I made it this afternoon, and it looks lovely.
    Tonight I used some of my 'treat purse' money to go to an open air theatre production of 'A Midsummer Night's Dream'. It was hilarious! Well worth the money! And even better knowing it was paid for by saving the money I would have spent in the SMs.
    Last edited by MrsCD; 11-07-2012 at 10:34 PM.
    • little_miss_moneysaver
    • By little_miss_moneysaver 12th Jul 12, 12:12 AM
    • 1,229 Posts
    • 7,653 Thanks
    little_miss_moneysaver
    Hi all
    Hope everyone is well. Sorry can't remember exactly who did what. Tiger can't believe your neighbour! Pity you couldn't get your hands on that food!
    Flo hope you enjoy your trip, don't work too hard.

Just reading back over the day, well yesterday now I guess!
    Went to Mr T on Tuesday evening with my list. I needed mint for today's dinner, but only if it was whoopsied and I found a plant for 40p. Only to be told I've got it growing in my garden.....I did not remember that! Also got an iceberg for 25p I stuck to my list. I fed OH before we went, but of course now his pudding tummy is growling at him! He snuck in some c@dbury pudding which were £1 got @ctivia yogs as we're half price at £1.50 for 8. I work on no more than 20p per yogurt so we only buy these when on a great offer! Got two lots as got a good date on anyway it was a spend of £14.16

So today (Wednesday) my sister comes up and wants to go to MrS. This seems to be getting a weekly habit, had I have known I may not have gone to MrT yday. But as mobility is limited I take advantage of a trip out (am beginning to sound like my gran!). So thought I'd grab a loaf whilst there. Well......massive whoopsie time there! Got massive bag of sugarsnap peas for 40p. We're going to have tinned veg for Friday so these will replace. Would have paid the ridiculous full price! Put nets of apricots were reduced to 20p each. Somehow 9 ended up in my trolley so I've got crumble, pie, tart, or just with custard on possible uses! Has reduced rhubarb too, OH's fav crumble. We have a plant but it's just planded this year so have been told not to cut it, so will make a crumble tomorrow with that. Am ashamed to say I got wooed by some 44p donuts so we had those for pudding with a couple of apricots. Also got some other little reduced bits inc reduced cheese (blue cheese so naughty ) Came to £5.09 in total Although my sister is constantly asking which is the better value, or would I buy this one or that one so maybe my money saving ways are rubbing off? She even used lentils in her spag bol last week

Have dinners sorted for the rest of the week and hopefully enough fruit. Will prob run out of bananas though. Seem to spend so much money on fruit and veg. I think maybe it's because I'm at home and snack a lot. I drink loads so I don't think it's thirst. Often kept busy too, I've always been a grazer. Just have to start rationing it a bit I think. Does anyone else have to do this? Had a load of bendy carrots which have been chopped up and frozen too so it looks like my ,freezer is rammed again.

Enougn rambling from me I think. Off to update my sig, going to look very close to target. Just need to get to the 23rd

Hugs to all that need them
    LMM
    Baby boy arrived 22nd August 2012
    Second menace arrived safely 13th February 2014
    Debt Free Wannabee 2015
    • ikkle87
    • By ikkle87 12th Jul 12, 4:11 AM
    • 8,284 Posts
    • 179,659 Thanks
    ikkle87
    Lmm I'm the same since getting pregnant and becoming mainly housebound. Find I eat loads of fruit as it gives me a bit of a pick up and it's better for me than crisps and sweets x
    You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.

xx Mama to a gorgeous Cranio Baby xx
  • rosieben
    I've run out of space in the recipe index, so will list new recipes here for the rest of this thread and ask Zip to enlarge the list for August.

Chicken, Leek and Tarragon pie - GF & DF
    Corned Beef Hash
    Sweet Potato and Leek Pie
    Vegetable and Blue Cheese Bake
    Last edited by rosieben; 16-07-2012 at 2:05 PM.
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • Mrs Addicted to Spending
    Well however are supermarkets going to make ginormous profits if they don't have everyone chucking out "toxic" produce as soon as it nears any sort of date stamp? Endanger, indeed. Antibacterial soap is more dangerous to her family than a bendy carrot!
    Originally posted by GreenFairy
    Excuse my ignorance but why is antibacterial soap dangerous? I know it gets rid of bacteria, including good bacteria, but didn't know it was actually dangerous ?

Lmm I'm the same since getting pregnant and becoming mainly housebound. Find I eat loads of fruit as it gives me a bit of a pick up and it's better for me than crisps and sweets x
    Originally posted by ikkle87
    I was heavily addicted to fruit when I was pregnant - had to stock up every 2/3 days - especially fruit with seeds (kiwis, berries etc) for some reason . But I used to think the same as you that it was good for me and the baby and also I didn't put lots of extra weight on. Both times when I came out of hospital I only had half a stone to lose but babies were both nearly 8lb when born. So all good.
    Pay debt in 2012 #278 £2347/£5364
    Sealed Pot 5 #1713 £78.57 //Crazy Clothes Challenge #97 £79.49/£100
    Grocery Challenge:
    Feb £359/£360 Mar £390/£450 Apr £335/£320
    May £330/£320 Jun £455/£400 Jul £321/£320
    Aug £399/£370 Sep £345/£300 Oct £421/£400 Nov £0/£320
    • Coxy11
    • By Coxy11 12th Jul 12, 8:45 AM
    • 2,295 Posts
    • 27,317 Thanks
    Coxy11
    Thai red chicken curry for tea tonight - nom, can't wait. I'm using the $harwoods paste I got from AF - 12 sachets for 1p!!! It's bb date was Nov 2011 - we have used several sachets and are still alive Going to serve it with basmati and wild rice - mixed tub from Co$tco which was left over from a church 'do', and ys naan bread.

Gammon in batter last night - mixed reaction from children and DH so won't be rushing to serve it again (sorry Flo ) although it felt really good to use up lo's and have a cheapy meal.

Change of plan for today - I'm taking advantage of a beautiful sunny dry morning to catch up on a gardening client I had to cancel on Monday. No painting for me today as I won't have the energy. Oh and just to clarify - the MrT plastic bag on my head is to cover my very long, very dark hair when I'm doing the ceilings. I already have natural 'highlights' (read 'grey'...) and don't want to look like I have nits as well
    Cross-stitch WIP #1: Collecting Shells by Nancy Cole
    Cross-stitch WIP #2: Pretty Little London by Satsuma Street
    • jasmin10
    • By jasmin10 12th Jul 12, 8:57 AM
    • 893 Posts
    • 1,720 Thanks
    jasmin10
    Thai red chicken curry for tea tonight - nom, can't wait. I'm using the $harwoods paste I got from AF - 12 sachets for 1p!!! It's bb date was Nov 2011 - we have used several sachets and are still alive
    Originally posted by Coxy11

We bought those too. didnt use coconut milk just ormal. Wow it was gorgeous, thoroughly enjoy it.
    2016 - Pinecone £36 Pureprofile £25.55 Vivatic £25.00 TopCashback £1742.63
    My Little World
  • jumblejack
    Good morning peeps

This is the calm before the storm. Just me today so I can crack on with things I REALLY need to do. The OH has taken the kids out to a volunteer oroject so i have gardening, cleaning, cooking, finishing off the elderflower champagne for future consumption and a mental list of many other tasks that need tackling to keep me occupied

Just having a brew before I hit the motivational music (an essential when you are doing chores in the house.... Alone!)

I have leftover curry and leftover rice.

The leftover curry is going to be turned into leftover pie for tea. The leftover rice is gonna be added to diced leftover bacon mixed with an egg and made into rice patties.

I ran out of cereal today so I had a single herby cheese bread toasted with a fried egg on one half and a slice of leftover bacon on the other instead of dashing to the stores.

The kids have requested special packed lunches for the next few days so I am going to use next weeks shopping budget tonight and then record the spend on Saturday.

Lovely to hear everyone's successes with the grocery challenge. I pick up lots of tips everyday.

Littlemissmoneysaver, I only ever pad out my spot the mince chilli with lentils. Why, oh why, did I never think of doing the same to bolognaise too!!!!!
    I am so doing that next time. Thanks so much for mentioning it!

Have a fab n frugaltastic day, peeps
    Every moment is a gift. That's why we call it the present.!
    Grocery Spend Weekly Challenge (Sat-Fri):£30.50/£40
    • meg72
    • By meg72 12th Jul 12, 11:12 AM
    • 5,082 Posts
    • 46,072 Thanks
    meg72
    We bought those too. didnt use coconut milk just ormal. Wow it was gorgeous, thoroughly enjoy it.
    Originally posted by jasmin10
    Sounds goodto me,Ihave boxes of the paste to use up and some chicken thighs. dinner sorted I think.
    Slimming World at target
    • Make-it-3
    • By Make-it-3 12th Jul 12, 11:18 AM
    • 1,550 Posts
    • 7,040 Thanks
    Make-it-3
    Urgh had to make another visit to MrS today as I somehow overlooked that we are out of bananas and chopped tomatoes when I went yesterday. Items purchased and another £1 to add to my spends. £81.23/£200
    We Made-it-3 on 28/01/11 with birth of our gorgeous DD.
  • Boodle

I have just started eating meat again after 25 years and haven't progressed to red meat yet and my coeliac disease means I can't eat quorn mince anymore but I have a lot of sausages in the freezer to make into a casserole and I would like to make a nice chicken casserole if I can find a good recipe.

I am going to have another look at my meal plan and add in a couple of pasta bakes as I have 2 tonnes of GF pasta in the larder from lots of freebie samples and the leftovers will do for DH lunch.

We don't eat puddings but I do like something sweet at work and tend to bake a cake and biscuits for me to eat during the week. I am going to make better use of my prescription certificate and get flour mixes to bake with. I have only had one scrip so far so I am still learning what items work best for me.

Our dinner plates are quite large but I have 2 smaller ones I might start using to cut our portions. Our waistlines will thank us I am sure
    It sounds like you are doing all of the right things XSpender. You could use dried soya mince instead of the Quorn which is cheaper than Quorn anyway The only thing I can think of, though obviously I don't know the reasons you have begun eating meat again, pulses and nuts are usually a much cheaper source of protein and iron.
    Love and compassion to all x
    • GreenFairy
    • By GreenFairy 12th Jul 12, 11:24 AM
    • 301 Posts
    • 3,786 Thanks
    GreenFairy
    Excuse my ignorance but why is antibacterial soap dangerous? I know it gets rid of bacteria, including good bacteria, but didn't know it was actually dangerous ?
    Originally posted by Mrs Addicted to Spending
    My point was that her bendy carrots weren't going to harm anyone, not that antibac soap is dangerous - she accused the OP of "endangering" her family by telling her to stick her bendy veg into a soup

That said, I don't use antibac soap (or cleaning products) at all as it gets rid of good bacteria as you've pointed out. Plus, combined with all the other antibac products that get used these days, they're actually serving to make us less healthy, not more. All we really need is normal soap and hot water for bodies and household cleaning.
    Feb GC €253.11/€400
    Jan GC €203.37/€400
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4Posts Today

3,936Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Oh if only one were brave/honest enough to say "my mental health" - in answer to the weakness question. I say this? https://t.co/RyihpzwPdY

• Been out with the little one, just got back and turned the #c4debate on. What have i missed? Who is winning?

• It's the weekend, it's the weekend, yay. It's that moment, when as usual, to sign off for family time. So I bid y? https://t.co/2RYRnz3fEe

• Follow Martin