Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 1
    • ruby_eskimo
    • By ruby_eskimo 3rd Jul 12, 2:32 PM
    • 2,255 Posts
    • 12,613 Thanks
    ruby_eskimo
    • 3rd Jul 12, 2:32 PM
    • 3rd Jul 12, 2:32 PM
    Your story sounds exactly the same as my experience when I went to Rhodes with Olympic. We were invited to a "free" BBQ with drinks included provided by the hotel. What they failed to say was it was free if you booked an excursion through the Rep. Our flight times were changed the day before we left, when checkout was 12, our original flights were 3pm but were changed to 2:30am! So we spent all day and most of the night in the bar. We were dumped at Rhodes airport and the Reps left to go back to where they were staying, knowing full well that there was a delay to our flight! There were no boards, no announcements, we just had to keep asking staff in the airport where we had to go/what was going on. Ended up not getting on the plane till almost 8am! No apology from Olympic, and I would not go with them again. This was 5 years ago, and if you went with them, clearly they haven't learnt their lesson!
    Emergency Fund - £0 / £5,000 :: Decluttering - 12 / 1095
    :: VSP #13 - £18.49:: NSD 2019 - 17 / 200 Weight Loss: 43 / 58lbs January GC - £76.35/ £200
    Engaged 9th December 2010 Married 29th October 2015 Bought a House 13th January 2017
  • cottonhead
    • 3rd Jul 12, 5:10 PM
    • 3rd Jul 12, 5:10 PM
    I once had a holiday that turned out not to be as advertised and so I wrote to the tour operator to complain. They sent me a £50 voucher off my next holiday so I worte and complained again and stated a £50 voucher is no good as I will NEVER book with them again. The second reply had a £700 cheque enclosed. Holidays are a product and should be what you sign up for ( unless it states somewhere that alternatives can be offered ).
    • minnie123
    • By minnie123 3rd Jul 12, 5:46 PM
    • 2,048 Posts
    • 11,672 Thanks
    minnie123
    • 3rd Jul 12, 5:46 PM
    • 3rd Jul 12, 5:46 PM
    I went on holiday to Rhodes with Olympic and they thought it was a good idea to walk us past a car crash that had just happened to drop us at our apartments. We had a lovely view of a man with his brains hanging out still alive making noises I have never heard come from a human and a blonde woman covered in blood. Lovely start to the holiday in fact we could hear him making noises for a couple of hours after we were dropped as the ambulance took so long to arrive. I asked the rep if she could move us the next day as I was a mess tbh and she just shrugged it off. Later in the holiday our apartments got egged and the cleaner used one of my t-shirts to clean it up. Worst holiday ever.
    Eleventh Heaven (#123):
    • rachhh
    • By rachhh 3rd Jul 12, 7:26 PM
    • 326 Posts
    • 3,253 Thanks
    rachhh
    • 3rd Jul 12, 7:26 PM
    • 3rd Jul 12, 7:26 PM
    Not trying to be rude or even impolite, but I think this would get more replies on the holidays board, wouldn't it?
    Started 30/08/2011
    Biggest Wins: GHD's, 5* Trip to London, VIP Trip to Isle of MTV Festival in Malta.
    Thanks so much to all who post
    • brightonman123
    • By brightonman123 3rd Jul 12, 8:34 PM
    • 8,338 Posts
    • 48,512 Thanks
    brightonman123
    • 3rd Jul 12, 8:34 PM
    • 3rd Jul 12, 8:34 PM
    I had an 'all inclusive' week in Tunisia several years ago - cant remember the t/a.

Agent made no mention of it being Ramadam that week (staff at hotel got a bit ratty, as fasting, busy times..), or that most snack/drink items at hotel were not included!

It took a lot of hassle to get refund of costs incurred, and compensation (a nominal £50) for money wasted- that would have otherwise gone on souvenirs and seeing the 'sights'..

At the time, this included late night building (noise!) on the site next door- along with unfinished roads, etc.

regarding rep-arranged tours, i would def DIY- usually cheaper in most cases, when its YOUR choice, and at YOUR pace.
    Last edited by brightonman123; 03-07-2012 at 8:36 PM.
    Long time away from MSE, been dealing real life stuff..
    Sometimes seen lurking on the compers forum :-)
    • msb5262
    • By msb5262 3rd Jul 12, 8:38 PM
    • 1,575 Posts
    • 4,664 Thanks
    msb5262
    • 3rd Jul 12, 8:38 PM
    • 3rd Jul 12, 8:38 PM
    I went on holiday to Rhodes with Olympic and they thought it was a good idea to walk us past a car crash that had just happened to drop us at our apartments. We had a lovely view of a man with his brains hanging out still alive making noises I have never heard come from a human and a blonde woman covered in blood. Lovely start to the holiday in fact we could hear him making noises for a couple of hours after we were dropped as the ambulance took so long to arrive. I asked the rep if she could move us the next day as I was a mess tbh and she just shrugged it off.
    Originally posted by minnie123
    Sorry to hear your holiday was ruined by seeing the aftermath of a car accident, but I can't help thinking the accident probably had a rather more severe long-term effect on the families of the people involved!

Am I the only person thinking it shows an unusual attitude to a serious car crash to be saying, "My holiday was wrecked!"?

MsB
    Last edited by msb5262; 03-07-2012 at 9:29 PM.
    • minnie123
    • By minnie123 3rd Jul 12, 11:15 PM
    • 2,048 Posts
    • 11,672 Thanks
    minnie123
    • 3rd Jul 12, 11:15 PM
    • 3rd Jul 12, 11:15 PM
    Sorry to hear your holiday was ruined by seeing the aftermath of a car accident, but I can't help thinking the accident probably had a rather more severe long-term effect on the families of the people involved!

Am I the only person thinking it shows an unusual attitude to a serious car crash to be saying, "My holiday was wrecked!"?

MsB
    Originally posted by msb5262
    You are twisting my words - I never said my holiday was wrecked by them having the accident - I said the Olympic rep should have made the correct decision to not walk us past the accident.

It more than "wrecked my holiday" I was in tears the whole week traumatised, couldn't sleep or be left alone and the rep didn't want to know. I saw the accident for months afterwards. The point is to the Olympic reps this was all fine!

Of course I felt for the people I spent the whole week trying to find out how they were - the rep informed me they were drink driving with no seatbelts in an open top car he survived but in what state I do not know.

Anyway this is the reason I rarely post there is always someone there to twist my words as I am not very eloquent at writing down what I mean.
    Last edited by minnie123; 03-07-2012 at 11:18 PM.
    Eleventh Heaven (#123):
  • Mara69
    • 4th Jul 12, 7:19 AM
    • 4th Jul 12, 7:19 AM
    Personally, I'd never go on an all inclusive holiday - everyone I have spoken to that has been on one reports that the food is cheap and the drinks watered down. That, plus the fact that this type of holiday generally attracts hard core drinkers and families with lots of kids, means it is not my type of holiday at all.

I am learning at the knee of a master (my Mum) on how to book cheap holidays by booking flights and accommodation separately. She and my Dad have had some stunning holidays very cheaply.
  • Former MSE Becca
    Not trying to be rude or even impolite, but I think this would get more replies on the holidays board, wouldn't it?
    Originally posted by rachhh
    Thanks for the recommendation - will move to the holidays board.

MSE Becca
  • mcfisco
    What our holiday rep failed to mention...
    So some people actually make contact with the holiday rep?

I tend to avoid them at all costs
  • wallbash
    Personally, I'd never go on an all inclusive holiday - everyone I have spoken to that has been on one reports that the food is cheap and the drinks watered down. That, plus the fact that this type of holiday generally attracts hard core drinkers and families with lots of kids, means it is not my type of holiday at all.
    Your friends have tried to do Ai on the cheap, they got what they paid for.

I pay a fair price and therefore have a wonderful time.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

84Posts Today

1,658Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @IsabelHardman: This is really good. For all the stuff about noisy rows over the past few days, it?s worth remembering that a lot of abu?

• This is why I wrote the guide to financial abuse. It's tough to know when it's happening to you. It's also worth? https://t.co/XGI2sI7hOU

• RT @David_Challen: Really happy @MartinSLewis is raising awareness of economic/financial abuse. My mother cleaned her cousins home for poc?

• Follow Martin