Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 4th Jun 11, 11:19 AM
    • 9,343Posts
    • 17,889Thanks
    zippychick
    • 4th Jun 11, 11:19 AM
    4th Jun 11 at 11:19 AM
    Hi everyone,

Welcome to the sixth Grocery Challenge of 2012

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your March budget, then keep on posting in the:
    May 2012 Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be £1 a week or £20 a week.

If you are currently spending £200 a month don't suddenly drop it to £100 - you'll never do it but if you cut £20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is £80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on £80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    By request, here is Spiggles wonderful helpful post

We all have different budgets that suit our households. The most important thing to remember is that you set yours according to your needs and finances. It can take time to get to where you want to be too so don't knock yourself out if you go over in the first few months. We are here to support each other and it is not a competition.

I thought it might help to outline where we've come from and the top tips I've learned.

When we started in March 2010 we had spent in excess of £600 in the previous month. This had to stop, (there's only me and him and our two beautiful black cats) something which thankfully my OH completely agreed with so I have been lucky that he has been on board from the start. He gave me his debit card voluntarily and I still keep hold of it until he needs to get something for the home. At the same time we set up a system of pocket money (pm) at £15 each per week which doesn't count towards the GC and which we can each spend as we wish with no comebacks or complaints. OH predominantly uses his pm on his beer and I ferret mine away mostly.

The next step was to set up my own spreadsheet which is absolutely simple onto which I put all spends so that I have a continuous running total for the month and for the year. We initially set our budget at £280 per month and brought it down to £240 where it resides for most of the year it is occasionally increased to allow for extras e.g. Christmas to £260.

The important 'tools' we found greatly helped and continue to do so now are:

Stocktake cupboards, fridge, freezer - make lists and ensure that the older products get used up first. You'll be amazed at what you find squirrelled away and it will help with your shopping list as you'll realise that you don't actually need so much.

Before you go shopping check staples - running out of milk, bread, butter, etc often leads to going into a shop for one thing and coming out £20 lighter. Always check these and if they'll run out tomorrow buy them the same time as getting other things.

Always make a shopping list and stick to it - the supermarkets (sm) try every which way to get us to spend so having a list and strong resolve is the only way to beat them.

Keep every receipt - and then note it down on your spreadsheet/spend diary so that you always know where you are.

When tempted, ask yourself do you NEED it or just WANT it - now this advice goes with two things. Firstly, the things you see in store when shopping that APPEAR to be bargains - if you hadn't planned spending the money then its not a bargain. Secondly, the sm send us loads of vouchers for £X off a spend of £XX - if you had no NEED to spend £XX then have you SAVED anything???

Use my supermarket to compare prices (limited to four of the biggies) - The site may be used to actually do an online shop at whichever of the big four offers the best value or, if you have the time and sm availability, to make up lists for visiting each of the stores so that you can purchase all you need at different stores thus getting the best possible value. (I'd add, do a 'shop' virtually on this site and take the list you create on it with you, whichever one you shop at, it will help keep target prices in your head and allow you to spot bargains. MrM is not included but you can do a virtual list on their website so you know what you're going to be spending.)

Always have a list - this is just as important when shopping online as shopping on foot.

Use Approved Foods online (with a list!) - if you don't mind out of date things (ood) or you can search for only in date items. The only drawback is storing the goods as far as I can tell. Oh, and watch the delivery as it's done on a scaled charge for weight so keep an eye on it. You can of course do an AF order with friends, family, colleagues or like minded neighbours. Other GCers use Big Br*nds 4 Less too.

Invest in a breadmaker - we have saved so much by making our own bread. The prices in the shops are extortionate for bread these days. There's loads of advice on this thread and others in the forum on this.

Use the recipe lists - always posted at the front of a new thread. There are fantastic, tasty, healthy and economical recipes to use on them and there are a number of other threads on the forum such as Weezl's that will help you to eat well on a budget.

Shop locally - the local greengrocer (or preferably market but I don't have one ) is usually cheaper as an option for fruit and veg (f&v) than the sm. Often the prices may look the same but when you look at the quantity for the same price the greengrocer will be cheaper. The same goes for the local butcher. Often you will have far more variety of meat available, advice on how to cook a particular meat can be offered and there is (for me at least) no comparison in terms of quality. We buy our huge FR eggs there and I'm yet to find an equivalent FR egg in a sm at the same or lower price. Obvioulsy if you have your own chicks/know someone who has chicks you can get them even cheaper again.

Grow your own - it's quite simple to grow some f&v at home even if it's only in pots on the patio. There are also supportive threads on the forum for this.

Cook your own - making meals at home from ingredients is far more economical, often tastes better than shop bought and is probably far better healthwise.

Meal Plan - this is something that others can advise on as we don't do it. I have a tremendous capacity for eating the same food over many days but presented in slightly different form. For example, we could buy £7 worth of brisket from the butchers and eat it as pot roast for a couple of days, sliced for sarnies, sliced with a salad, chucked into a casserole or shredded up and fried as crispy beef.

Don't waste food - either only make what you need or use any leftovers for other meals/creations or freeze it for another day.

Withdraw the cash you want to spend - and keep it in a separate purse. This can be particularly effective as you have the money in front of you reducing rather than spending with plastic which is so easy to lose track of. Very useful when you first start out.

Don't go to the shops to browse - this can only lead to pain and hardship!!!

Keep posting and reading the thread - there really is no better supportive, wise and inspirational place to be! I think I saw that somebody mentioned forgetting to read/post. I get around this by using the Advanced button to post, below the window where your text is displayed you will see Additional Options. In the Thread Subscription box use the dropdown to select either instant email notification (this is what I use) or daily email notification before you submit your latest post. Then you will get an email into your inbox from which you can click to the thread to see what others are saying.

Always remember the sm is not your friend - it wants to profit from you and take as much of your money as it can coerce out of you!

So, there you go as a starting point. Others on here will offer tremendous advice on meal planning. And don't forget, the only silly question is the one you didn't ask!

See you all later,
    Spigs
    For quidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #3, #4, #5 and #6 on this thread.

For everyones totals, see post #7 on this thread

I hope everyone has a great month!

Zip
    Last edited by zippychick; 11-05-2012 at 6:59 PM.
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

Page 44
    • MrsCD
    • By MrsCD 12th Jun 12, 8:41 PM
    • 753 Posts
    • 11,263 Thanks
    MrsCD
    Same here sonastin - I've had to stop baking as much

Hello Katy - have you tried downsizing? If you usually buy Heinz beans for example, try the SM's own brand, or if that's what you usually buy, then try the budget version. I've done this with a few things and some are just as good, but others I prefer what I would normally buy. It all adds up Anyhow, welcome to GC. Hope you enjoy it here

Did my 'weekly' shop today. Will update sig soon.
    • Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 12th Jun 12, 8:51 PM
    • 3,310 Posts
    • 29,414 Thanks
    Suffolk lass
    Note to all Newbies
    KatyReed+5 and all our other Newbies - Quick top tips to make this work for you:

1. I urge you to start at page 1 and read Zippychick's standing posts that are at the start of every month. As you will see; it is whatever works for you, we encourage, advise and even gently chide but we don't criticise or b!!!! (except about supermarkets) on here

2. This is followed by several pages of recipes previously posted on GC and collated by Rosieben (she hasn't been on here for over a month but we can ask one of the other guides to edit her posts if she is missing).

3. Then HelenJelly posts our targets; be they weekly, monthly or annual - she only picks them up if you post big and red (advanced posts give you the options).

4. As you will see, some of us give a summary of progress in our signatures (size of household, maybe other challenges on MSE, target and spend to date, but some have philosophical or poetic, sometimes thought-provoking statements; entirely up to you) personally I love the celebrations when someone clears their debts (Barbeduk in May for example ).

5. Finally, as you read, if you Thank the posts you have a fighting chance of finding where you got up to and resuming where you left off (I have just worked through over 160 since Sunday so) it is worth sitting down frequently to catch up but if you can't keep up, read the page before last and the last and post away.

Finally, finally, good luck and enjoy - loads of experience and useful advice for free; not much of that left in this day and age!

All the best
    SL
    Save £12k in 2019 - #68 target is £7k £8,766.30 after Sep
    OS Grocery Challenge 2019 target £3k - 57.28% spent after Sep
    Mortgage Free Wannabes 2019 #37 108.23% £43,292.24 including Sep - reducing now to avoid fees
    MFIT T5 target to clear our mortgage completely (£59,998) Q2 £30,085 or 50.14% paid
    My DFD is here
    • little_miss_moneysaver
    • By little_miss_moneysaver 12th Jun 12, 8:53 PM
    • 1,229 Posts
    • 7,653 Thanks
    little_miss_moneysaver
    Evening all!

Just a loaf of bread today to add to my total. Been very good in the sm and normally sticking to my little list of milk, fruit etc. my mum has paid for the last couple of top ups as she's been staying with us so the total is not a true total, most of the things we would have bought anyway. Got £20, well £19.03 to last until the 22nd - payday but we're well stocked up! Will update siggy in a mo

Katy welcome, one tip I would say is to think about portion size. I used to cook way too much although we didn't waste much, took it for lunches at work etc. I mean sometimes using two chicken breasts for two people when one would be enough etc (although these are normally got on ys). also I've been able to reduce costs a bit, but also not eating seconds so food wasn't wasted.
    For my groc challenge I include food, drinks, household/cleaning stuff and toiletries. I don't include baby stuff like nappies yet anyway, have been stockpiling) or cat food. Some people include eating out and takeaways, I don't do this either.

Had curry today for tea with chicken from the roast on Sunday. Still another quarter and drumstick left so may freeze it for now. Then hm fruit crumble for pudding, yummy yummy. Baby always seems to kick loads when I'm eating a nice pudding

OH is out tomorrow night so I have lo bolognaise in the fridge so will have that and maybe jacket potato and salad for tea. Thursday I'm away at a funeral and OH is out at his mum's (normally Thursday we go there). Friday will be fish from the freezer with potatoes and veg.
    Am liking meal planning again, easier now I'm at home though as I have time to prepare things and can do it over the whole day if I'm tired/in too much pain.

I'm rambling too much now. Thank you for everyone's tips and ideas. I may not post daily, but I try and read each day to keep me on track
    Baby boy arrived 22nd August 2012
    Second menace arrived safely 13th February 2014
    Debt Free Wannabee 2015
  • mummy2mygirls
    Hello Katy+5 Welcome. I will be keeping a eye open on all the advice and how you get on as ive got 5 kiddies aswell and the 3 little ones are the same age as yours, Ive got plus my older 2 are 5yr and 8 yr olds. So will love to see how you get one etc. Love all the advice people have already given. I have found going to the shops little and more often I seem to be doing better with the amount im spending - but find it harder as always got little ones with me. I cant get to the shops when its the time they normally make things cheaper as its bed time and madness I include all food toiletries, baby milk, nappies and wipes (I do try and use washables but ive been so bad with them recently!! must get back into useing them soon!!) cleaning products and dog food. I dont include OH baccy as take that from a different budget. You can include whatever you want in yours and what ever works for you... Good luck.

I has a NSD today which im happy with but will have to go to the shops again tomorrow as we are running low on toilet roll - im sure my kids use half a roll a time lol. Im only around £150 into my budget this mth so feeling like its going ok (so far) and will keep it to a small spend tomorrow.....

Made some flapjacks when the cooker was on for dinner tonight. Will be good to add to the lunch boxes tomorrow. Im trying to cook more and to also do it when the oven is already on instead off earlier in the day
    GC: Nov: £60.22/£450 Oct: £338.48/£450, July: £363.05/£450, June £447.98/£500
    £2 savers No68: £104/£100

mummy to: 8yr, 5yr, 3yr, 2yr, 1yr. No6 Due Mar 2013 My world.
    • MrsCD
    • By MrsCD 12th Jun 12, 11:03 PM
    • 753 Posts
    • 11,263 Thanks
    MrsCD
    [QUOTE=mummy2mygirls;53750075]

I has a NSD today which im happy with but will have to go to the shops again tomorrow as we are running low on toilet roll - im sure my kids use half a roll a time lol.

Have you tried squashing the toilet roll a bit into an oval shape rather than round? It makes it harder to just pull like those pesky puppies do on the TV!!!
    Last edited by MrsCD; 12-06-2012 at 11:04 PM. Reason: did something wrong with the quote!
  • MunniMuncha
    Hello again katy - the other site I would look at is Approved Foods - excellent for getting foodstuff really cheap - some of it is ood, but you can just buy stuff that is in date. Although, having said that it is the BB date, so it is still quite safe to eat!!
    When you were born, you were crying and everyone around was smiling. Live your life so at the end, you're the one who is smiling and everyone around you is crying!

June GC - £352.04/£350
    SP challenge 3P £171.28
  • cleggie
    Good morning!

Welcome to Katy and all the other newbies You are most definitely in the right places. The ladies and gents on here have helped me so much, i am really glad i joined the GC.

So, today i am doing my 1st online shop with Mr T. They responded to the message i posted on their FB page about a code for £10 your 1st £50 shop, and i also have a £15 off a £75 shop.

I think i can use them together. So i think i may do a £75 which meand i'll end up paying £50 for it! Hopefully it'll work!!
    Also, the new offer leaflet comes out today, with loads of coupons to use, so i will have a look at that 1st, to see if i can enter any codes from there.

Hope you all have a great day!
    • mummyyof5
    • By mummyyof5 13th Jun 12, 7:16 AM
    • 1,839 Posts
    • 39,830 Thanks
    mummyyof5
    Today WILL be a NSD..DD has used my megarider for work...she finishes at 11 today so home in time for her brother to use it for college...very MSE.

HM pizza for tea I think ...
    Feeding 6 Adults 1 Teen a 8 year old with hollow legs and a very fussy 5 year old. Also 3 cats and 3 fishies
    To include all Food,Toiletries and Petfood.
  • Mrs Addicted to Spending
    Chilli con carnie for tea tonight. I have all the ingredients in so plan to have a NSD in the Purplesheila Household

DS still off school and he wants a bike ride today, I think we will go the alternative way past the ice cream shop so he doesn’t ask “Can I have an Ice Cream?” – We have ice cream at home so he is not missing out. Sometimes you feel mean saying no – especially to a £1.05 ice cream. But I have tried to keep this ½ term spend really low as I have given up work for the time been.

I did really well with spending this 1/2 term. We went to the Cinema one rainy morning to a Kids Club costing £5.00 we smuggled in our own goodies. And I purchases Ice cream from L!dl after a trip to the local park. We went to a Sailing Club for an evening out (free trial night) and it was our local fate day this last Saturday where a Fair comes to town. My Mum and Dad always give the kids a £5 each and my DS did extra jobs round the house for an extra £5. DD didn’t get any extra as she was a lazy mare and needs to learn.

Anyhow the weather was very poor and the fair was only charging £2 aride. Usually £3.50 – so even the fair folk are seeing a pinch in people’spockets

Both my children have Cub/Scout camp this Friday so that has cost me an extra £20. I don’t mind paying for Cubs/Scouts because they both get so much out of it. Last week DD came home after making fires and camp food – excellent life skills.

That all for now

Originally posted by purplesheila
    I stopped taking my purse with me when I had to pick up my children from school and walk past an ice cream van. Then I'd say "Oh sorry I haven't got any money with me" when they asked .

£9.18 spent in Mr T today - not too bad, but could be better! I couldn't resist the cherries, but they were nearly £4 for a bag!!

I've updated my sig.

Welcome KatyReed - this is a lovely thread, you'll get loads of support and help with your budgeting here!

Have a good evening all! CBx
    Originally posted by chelseabun
    When I went to A!di on Sun they had cherries on offer for 69p a bag - not sure what quantity though.

Good morning!

Welcome to Katy and all the other newbies You are most definitely in the right places. The ladies and gents on here have helped me so much, i am really glad i joined the GC.

So, today i am doing my 1st online shop with Mr T. They responded to the message i posted on their FB page about a code for £10 your 1st £50 shop, and i also have a £15 off a £75 shop.

I think i can use them together. So i think i may do a £75 which meand i'll end up paying £50 for it! Hopefully it'll work!!
    Also, the new offer leaflet comes out today, with loads of coupons to use, so i will have a look at that 1st, to see if i can enter any codes from there.

Hope you all have a great day!
    Originally posted by cleggie
    I'll be interested to know how you get on with the 2 offers and if they let them both through! If yes, I might try that one myself .

Spent another £12 on fresh stuff, milk, bananas, yoghurt etc yesterday so now I'm at budget with another week and half to go . However, I only need fresh stuff for this time period so shouldn't be too badly over budget, I hope .
    Pay debt in 2012 #278 £2347/£5364
    Sealed Pot 5 #1713 £78.57 //Crazy Clothes Challenge #97 £79.49/£100
    Grocery Challenge:
    Feb £359/£360 Mar £390/£450 Apr £335/£320
    May £330/£320 Jun £455/£400 Jul £321/£320
    Aug £399/£370 Sep £345/£300 Oct £421/£400 Nov £0/£320
    • Kitchenbunny
    • By Kitchenbunny 13th Jun 12, 8:13 AM
    • 1,861 Posts
    • 20,265 Thanks
    Kitchenbunny
    Good morning everyone! I am determined to have another NSD today We don't need anything, put it that way, so I figure if I don't go near a shop, I won't be tempted. At this rate I might get more NSDs than days where my wallet is opened!

Welcome Katy - good to see you All the best with the challenge. We're a friendly bunch here.

Tea tonight is going to be a variant on this as in I'll be switching the lamb for boned and diced chicken thighs, and will be serving it on a couple of nice (but cheap!) rolls with salad. Got everything in for it and I really fancy a curry

Have a lovely day, everyone.

K xx

• helen jelly
    Morning all

24 Fairy cakes made this morning to take on hols with us

Welcome and Hi to all the new people - lovely to see you on here, read the fisrt post - lots of excellent advice and check out the recipes posted and collected by Rosieben. Please ask lots of questions as there are lots of clever people on here who will help out. Post every day - this helps you to stay focused :]]

Budgets noted to here - will update later

Helen x
    Projects made for craft fair - 40
    1st fair on 13/4/14
  • cleggie
    I'll be interested to know how you get on with the 2 offers and if they let them both through! If yes, I might try that one myself .
    Originally posted by Mrs Addicted to Spending
    Not getting on very well with it at the moment, purely for the fact that i have reached £25 and cant think of what else i need! I used to spend £120 a week on food...and now i cant spend £80

Trying to decide if i should carry on, stock up on offers etc, or just cancel and go to Lidl. To be honest, i coud spend £40 in Lidl, so i may as well carry on with Mr T.
  • KatyReed+5
    I can't remember the last time i bought heinz, lol, although they are nice i do think i prefer some own brands, but not so-op they just taste nasty, lol, i buy the cheapest basic brands of beans for cooking, i.e. for in a sausage and bean casserole and i use a tin or 2 to bulk up a spaghetti bolognese. And then i buy the next one up for eating on toast etc.

I have found bulk cooking helps in my portion control, as before i would use one 500g pack of mince to cook one meal for 7 of us, now if i bulk cook and freeze i can get 3 - 5 meals of of one pack as i bulk it out more with veg etc.

I got some bolognese sauce out of the freezer this morning and i packet of garlic bread i bought last week redued in the co-op so that's tea sorted.

The 3 big kids are at school today so just me and the little ones today, although i'm looking after a friends little boy for a few hours over lunchtime so that's yet another mouth to feed, lol.

I'm excited about doing this, it's like going to a weight loss group, you have someone to answer to if it all goes wrong, i went to get some money out this morning to pay for the kids school lunches and chose not to go in the shop and buy some chocolate cause i knew it would affect my total.

Katy, X
    June £0.00 GC / £200.00

Family of 4 : 1 adult 3 kids ages 3,4 & 5.
    • fozziebeartoo
    • By fozziebeartoo 13th Jun 12, 8:46 AM
    • 1,566 Posts
    • 12,676 Thanks
    fozziebeartoo

Spent another £12 on fresh stuff, milk, bananas, yoghurt etc yesterday so now I'm at budget with another week and half to go . However, I only need fresh stuff for this time period so shouldn't be too badly over budget, I hope .
    Originally posted by Mrs Addicted to Spending

When I was putting codes into Tesco for a delivery, it said you can only use one XXX code but I have used loads of others at the same time.

The £20 off a £40 shop is an XXX one.
    • familyms
    • By familyms 13th Jun 12, 9:18 AM
    • 21 Posts
    • 246 Thanks
    familyms
    Hello All

I'm relatively new to all of this, and haven't been on here for quite sometime, however am desperate to budget!! can anyone help with ideas of getting everyone onboard that being OH and DD(11yrs old). How much would anyone say is a reasonable about to budget for grocery shop for 2 adults and one 11yr old, including any treats for all ie: beer/wine/pop?, feel we all need a little treat as work all week!. Look forward to hearing from you all. Apologies if I have posted this in the wrong place, I'm sure you will all help me. Thank you Mx

PS: Anyone watched 'extreme couponing' on TV, any advise how similar savings can be made in UK?
    Last edited by familyms; 13-06-2012 at 9:23 AM.
  • cleggie
    Hey all!
    Well, i finished my online shop with Mr T. There was no way i could stretch to spending over £75, so i got as near to £50 as possible, to get my £10 off as it was my 1st online shop with them.
    The £10 came off with no probs at all, and i stocked up on my baking stuff.
    So, total was £57.92 - £10 (voucher) =£47.92
    If anyone wants the code for £15 off a £75 shop, let me know and i'll post it here (but not sure if i am allowed to post codes on here???).
    • elsiepac
    • By elsiepac 13th Jun 12, 10:08 AM
    • 1,776 Posts
    • 12,848 Thanks
    elsiepac
    Hey guys

I have a load of bacon to use up, so am wondering what you would use it for (to go into main meals for dinner)?
    The only thing i can think of is carbonara, but we all hate carbonara! Any ideas?
    Originally posted by cleggie
    There's an old Ainsley recipe I used to do, which is something like:

1 pack puff pastry (or make your own!!!)
    1 tin beans
    1 onion
    3-4 rashers bacon
    Tabasco sauce
    cheddar cut into little cubes

Fry the onion and bacon together (no oil if fatty bacon)
    When soft and cooked turn off heat and stir in beans, cubes of cheese and sprinkle Tabasco (depending how spicy you like it)

Cut pastry into 4 pieces and divide mixture between them, rolling up as you go into pasty shapes

Brush with milk and cook - can't remember what heat or how long for, but it's basically to cook the pastry so sure you can work it out!

VERY yummy

LC

Also, need to up my budget again this month...not sure what is wrong with me this month, my meal planning is shot!

HelenJelly please amend my budget to £120!!!
    Last edited by elsiepac; 13-06-2012 at 10:27 AM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style, Greenfingered, Energy & Going Out Deals boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and I can move and merge threads there. Please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this) Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    SPC No 074
    GC: Sep 19 £tbc/£250
    Vegan 27-8-13
    • NickJW
    • By NickJW 13th Jun 12, 11:21 AM
    • 678 Posts
    • 13,646 Thanks
    NickJW
    Spend of £3.54 in Mr S tonight - bought some cherry tomatoes, coconut milk and regular milk. Making a Goan fish curry tonight with a paste from Mr S which I noticed is OOD this month. Will update siggy.

Also booked a delivery for Mr T last night because I received a £20 off £40 code - tbh, it's mostly toiletries like mouthwash, toothpaste, shower gel, face wash, plus the water filter cartridges. Also got some lunch items, tuna and things to go with meat already in the freezer for meals this week/next week. I'll update this amount as soon as I get the delivery so I know the exact amount but it SHOULD come in around £25 when delivery is included in the cost. Not bad really
    Grocery Challenge 14 Jan 14 £46.05/£130

Grocery Challenge 13 -spent £1453.06
    Grocery Challenge 12 -spent £1565.51

DFD 1st March 2011
  • jumblejack
    [QUOTE=MrsCD;53752135]

I has a NSD today which im happy with but will have to go to the shops again tomorrow as we are running low on toilet roll - im sure my kids use half a roll a time lol.

Have you tried squashing the toilet roll a bit into an oval shape rather than round? It makes it harder to just pull like those pesky puppies do on the TV!!!
    Originally posted by mummy2mygirls
    Fantastic and practical tip

Nice one. I am going to implement this straight await
    Every moment is a gift. That's why we call it the present.!
    Grocery Spend Weekly Challenge (Sat-Fri):£30.50/£40
  • happy chick
    second time lucky - just deleted my first post without saving it!

still off sick and going through tissues at a rate of knots so off to buy some more. Feeling like I need soup today so going to get some watercress to make rose elliots delicious watercress soup - you fry the potatoes first and it gives it the most amazing taste! Also thinking I need some tom yum so will look for spinach or pak choy, whichevers cheaper!

on a disappointing note i found a grocery receipt for may in an old carrier bag and have to increase the total by £28. thought i had been so good at collecting receipts too. still it was only my first month which will make this months reduction look even better!
    GC: Jan £118.67/£175

Owed to Mum -
    £1,487/£6,400
    Overdraft -
    £1,391
    Total -
    £2,878/£7,791

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,275Posts Today

7,680Users online

Martin's Twitter