Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Helen
    • By Former MSE Helen 11th Jun 12, 2:41 PM
    • 2,324Posts
    • 971Thanks
    Former MSE Helen
    MSE News: Sky set to raise prices
    • 11th Jun 12, 2:41 PM
    MSE News: Sky set to raise prices 11th Jun 12 at 2:41 PM
    "Sky will raise the cost of many packages from September, but won't say by how much or which products are affected ..."

Read the full story:

Sky set to raise prices

Page 1
    • markdavey
    • By markdavey 11th Jun 12, 3:13 PM
    • 609 Posts
    • 252 Thanks
    markdavey
    • 11th Jun 12, 3:13 PM
    • 11th Jun 12, 3:13 PM
    TBH, anyone that thought this wouldn't happen after a 12 month freeze is delusional. Its no real surprise. I'd be surprised if the prices didn't go up by the equivalent to 2 years rises...

Whilst I am not happy to hear that yet another service provider is increasing prices, for most people, Sky TV is a discretionary spend, if its too much, cancel it (and probably get a discount from cancellations anyway).
    • ringo_24601
    • By ringo_24601 11th Jun 12, 3:40 PM
    • 17,148 Posts
    • 27,896 Thanks
    ringo_24601
    • 11th Jun 12, 3:40 PM
    • 11th Jun 12, 3:40 PM
    Excellent, my 1 year of HD is almost up (after getting 100 credit before the year started)... time to try to cancel and casually mention I've already god Virgin broadband at the same time
    • ElkyElky
    • By ElkyElky 11th Jun 12, 3:47 PM
    • 2,422 Posts
    • 2,739 Thanks
    ElkyElky
    • 11th Jun 12, 3:47 PM
    • 11th Jun 12, 3:47 PM
    I just cancelled my Sky movies package after a 6 month half price deal ended. Guess I'll be reverting to Freeview come September. I can live without Sky so it's no skin off my nose.
    Weve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if youre unsure why its been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Gordon Hose
    • By Gordon Hose 11th Jun 12, 4:00 PM
    • 6,057 Posts
    • 4,113 Thanks
    Gordon Hose
    • 11th Jun 12, 4:00 PM
    • 11th Jun 12, 4:00 PM
    Yeah, depending on how much the cost goes up I'll either drop from Entertainment Plus to Entertainment, or cancel altogether.

Only problem then is my Telephone and Broadband price will go up lol!

*sigh*
    • jobdone1
    • By jobdone1 11th Jun 12, 4:04 PM
    • 719 Posts
    • 540 Thanks
    jobdone1
    • 11th Jun 12, 4:04 PM
    sky
    • 11th Jun 12, 4:04 PM
    Well just had an intresting online chat with a sky advisor she was not going to inform me of the rise due but when i challenged her she cut me off i did say its bound to be a big rise due to no rise for over a year and she just said she can't say read in to that what you will still i was about to say before she rudely cut me off that be carfull what you demand as this will start to be your downfull just like tesco's is stating to find out all well and good getting greedy but in tough times in my view a bad move
    • halibut2209
    • By halibut2209 11th Jun 12, 4:17 PM
    • 4,011 Posts
    • 4,399 Thanks
    halibut2209
    • 11th Jun 12, 4:17 PM
    • 11th Jun 12, 4:17 PM
    How much of a rise does it have to be before we can cancel our contracts early?
    One important thing to remember is that when you get to the end of this sentence, you'll realise it's just my sig.
  • CornishJon
    • 11th Jun 12, 4:23 PM
    • 11th Jun 12, 4:23 PM
    Spoke to Sky last week. Told them I was going to plusnet (cashback and offers work out at just over 8 a month for Broadband (10GB limit) and line rental.
    Sky said they would continue my line rental and Broadband Unlimited for 8.50. I said thanks very much and now in a 12 month contract for that! Sounds like I did it at just the right time. :O)
    • Gordon Hose
    • By Gordon Hose 11th Jun 12, 4:24 PM
    • 6,057 Posts
    • 4,113 Thanks
    Gordon Hose
    • 11th Jun 12, 4:24 PM
    • 11th Jun 12, 4:24 PM
    How much of a rise does it have to be before we can cancel our contracts early?
    Originally posted by halibut2209
    Got nothing to do with the amount.
    • aldredd
    • By aldredd 11th Jun 12, 4:38 PM
    • 918 Posts
    • 659 Thanks
    aldredd
    Was inevitable. They only froze it as a pr exercise following the hacking scandal. It was never a gesture of good will and any iincrease I'm sure will be planned to make up short fall from them freezing.
    • jobdone1
    • By jobdone1 11th Jun 12, 4:58 PM
    • 719 Posts
    • 540 Thanks
    jobdone1
    been told how much entertainment extra going up by online chat advisor adrian 50p
    Last edited by jobdone1; 11-06-2012 at 5:01 PM. Reason: reword
  • smcdonald04
    I used the live chat and was advised that it was only the Entertainment package that the price was going to increase. They said it was only going to be by a 1.
    • jobdone1
    • By jobdone1 11th Jun 12, 6:39 PM
    • 719 Posts
    • 540 Thanks
    jobdone1
    sky
    hummmm sounds like sky online advisers leading people astray i must admit it took two attempts to get info the first adviser was far from helpful and asked for my account details i stopped her in her tracks like i'm going to give confidential information over an isp live chat I THINK NOT mind you big company like that don't want you to know until the last minuet
    • Kite2010
    • By Kite2010 11th Jun 12, 7:05 PM
    • 4,163 Posts
    • 3,549 Thanks
    Kite2010
    They have got to pay the production costs of rubbish "comedy" shows & the costs of buying the rights to show a lot of American shows somehow.
    • davehills
    • By davehills 11th Jun 12, 7:11 PM
    • 404 Posts
    • 327 Thanks
    davehills
    I just cancelled my Sky movies package after a 6 month half price deal ended. Guess I'll be reverting to Freeview come September. I can live without Sky so it's no skin off my nose.
    Originally posted by ElkyElky
    If you have been with Sky for 12+ months you can keep the card and the box and revert to the " Freesat from Sky" option.

You'll get almost all of the Freeview channels and no need to shell out for a new box, aerial or disturb the wiring behind the telly..
    • chris-j
    • By chris-j 11th Jun 12, 8:07 PM
    • 336 Posts
    • 170 Thanks
    chris-j
    Whatever they increase all customers should remember they applied their deferred stealth rise last year.
    Anybody on less than the full entertainment pack (the 6 categories) were upgrades to the new entertainment extra pack at 25 but sky made out this was a gift for customers. So if they increase this by 50p even,for someone previously on 4 pack it will be about 3 increase.

Most important though, while the previous packs allowed you to at least pick a group of channels you liked you could but now if you want music or kids or documentaries you have no choice but to pay for the extra pack - kind of all or precious little.
    I asked Sky about this when they changed this but they just sent list of channels.
    • jobdone1
    • By jobdone1 11th Jun 12, 8:27 PM
    • 719 Posts
    • 540 Thanks
    jobdone1
    do you know i must be getting older or at least becoming wiser 300 to watch sky with the entertainment extra plus your t.v licence of around 145 its just getting a joke time for free sat i think
  • mcbob
    Expect a 10-15% rise
    • Crabman
    • By Crabman 11th Jun 12, 11:32 PM
    • 9,733 Posts
    • 7,170 Thanks
    Crabman
    If you pay a subscription for Sky, why do they then show adverts? More to the point, why is it tolerated by their customers?

The BBC by comparison only charges around 12 per month and in return we get mostly British content and no adverts across their TV, radio, online catch-up and internet platforms.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Savings & Investments, ISAs & Tax-free Savings, Public Transport & Cycling, Motoring and Parking Fines, Tickets & Parking Boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board Guides are not moderators & don't read every post. If you spot a contentious or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com

• M4RKM
    • By M4RKM 12th Jun 12, 8:51 AM
    • 5,065 Posts
    • 3,673 Thanks
    M4RKM
    This really is a non news article, that statement has been on their website for weeks now, and you've only just picked up on it.

Sky always raise their prices on a yearly basis, this is nothing that is different. At least we had 1 year without a price.

I get my monies worth from sky, and a few extra quid for me isn't going to break the bank.

M
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

402Posts Today

3,662Users online

Martin's Twitter