Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Helen
    • By Former MSE Helen 31st May 12, 12:59 PM
    • 2,324Posts
    • 971Thanks
    Former MSE Helen
    MSE News: Charity tax relief plans scrapped
    • 31st May 12, 12:59 PM
    MSE News: Charity tax relief plans scrapped 31st May 12 at 12:59 PM
    "Controversial plans to cap tax relief on charitable donations have been scrapped, the Treasury announced today ..."

Page 1
    • Gordon the Moron
    • By Gordon the Moron 31st May 12, 7:48 PM
    • 1,452 Posts
    • 739 Thanks
    Gordon the Moron
    • 31st May 12, 7:48 PM
    • 31st May 12, 7:48 PM
    Thank god for that, I vote Conservative (I'm not Gordon Brown as my name might suggest!) but thought from the start this was a dreadful idea and would be something this government would be worst remembered for. I actually agreed with the 'pasty tax' though!
    If you don't like what I say slap me around with a large trout and PM me to tell me why.

If you do like it please hit the thanks button.
    • ashleyriot
    • By ashleyriot 1st Jun 12, 8:21 AM
    • 89 Posts
    • 122 Thanks
    ashleyriot
    • 1st Jun 12, 8:21 AM
    • 1st Jun 12, 8:21 AM
    I work for the Charities Aid Foundation and I've been so proud of the way the Third Sector has rallied together around this.
    • chattychappy
    • By chattychappy 2nd Jun 12, 2:10 AM
    • 7,083 Posts
    • 3,919 Thanks
    chattychappy
    • 2nd Jun 12, 2:10 AM
    • 2nd Jun 12, 2:10 AM
    What a pity.

Nobody likes tax, and it should be kept to a minimum. But to the extent its necessary, nobody should be able to "opt out" by placing their favourite good causes above what the state needs.

No doubt about it, many charities do essential work. But people should pay their dues first. Under this scheme, there was still to be an element of tax relief and I thought that reasonable.
    • oldvicar
    • By oldvicar 3rd Jun 12, 6:01 AM
    • 1,068 Posts
    • 944 Thanks
    oldvicar
    • 3rd Jun 12, 6:01 AM
    • 3rd Jun 12, 6:01 AM
    This should save Martin Lewis a few £million on his philanthropy this year. Says he's gonna give £10M from the £60M sale of his business.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

592Posts Today

4,716Users online

Martin's Twitter