Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Helen
    • By Former MSE Helen 31st May 12, 10:08 AM
    • 2,324Posts
    • 971Thanks
    Former MSE Helen
    MSE News: Millions wasting money on mobiles
    • 31st May 12, 10:08 AM
    MSE News: Millions wasting money on mobiles 31st May 12 at 10:08 AM
    "Pay monthly users are throwing away cash by not using their inclusive minutes, says research ..."

Page 1
    • grumbler
    • By grumbler 31st May 12, 10:29 AM
    • 51,813 Posts
    • 21,982 Thanks
    grumbler
    • 31st May 12, 10:29 AM
    • 31st May 12, 10:29 AM
    Wasn't it 'news' a year ago?:
    MSE News: Mobile phone users waste 200 a year

I think very little changed during a year and that news is far more related than
    As the new "Findings from comparison site uSwitch.com" seem to say nothing about taking the cost of the 'free' handsets, other 'gifts' and cashback into account, they are likely to be flawed again. Also, I would guess that the majority of their "2,100 sample" simply couldn't switch even if they wanted.
    Last edited by grumbler; 31-05-2012 at 12:29 PM.
    We are born naked, wet and hungry...Then things get worse.

.withdrawal, NOT withdrawel ..bear with me, NOT bare with me
    .definitely, NOT definately ......separate, NOT seperate
    should have, NOT should of
    .....guaranteed, NOT guarenteed
    • WestonDave
    • By WestonDave 31st May 12, 10:41 AM
    • 5,038 Posts
    • 8,521 Thanks
    WestonDave
    • 31st May 12, 10:41 AM
    • 31st May 12, 10:41 AM
    Pointless research as people often either choose their tariff by the phone they want "free" (in effect making the monhtly charge a HP system for buying the handset with the calls allowance somewhat incidental), and/or are restricted by minimum tariffs which still provide more than occasional users need. Fresh used to do a tariff where you provided your own phone, and simply got billed for what you used, so if you only used 10 minutes one month, you only paid 3.00 etc rather than being stuck paying at least 5 each month (even that tariff is dead with the minimum now being 7.99 with yet more texts people won't use).

Its all well and good Uswitch saying people will save money if they switch, but not if there isn't any actual practical alternative!
    Adventure before Dementia!
    • banger9365
    • By banger9365 31st May 12, 10:43 AM
    • 1,665 Posts
    • 640 Thanks
    banger9365
    • 31st May 12, 10:43 AM
    • 31st May 12, 10:43 AM
    that will be me then,only pay 18 a month for Flex35 and get half price line rental for life from t-mobile and its not a loyalty added discount ,its an old company discount from years ago,when they gave discount to staff from different company's,
    i know if i paid the full price i would not be with t-mobile on the flex plan ,because thier is better deals out thier but with it, ive not found anything to beat it
    the deal
    180 to spend on calls,text,and picture messages ,and includes picture messages from abroad
    with unlimited internet and its not got 500mb fup on it ,well if it has ive never hit it and my usage is 2GB a month
    there or their,one day i might us the right one ,until then tuff

• kerrydrobertson
    • 31st May 12, 11:49 AM
    • 31st May 12, 11:49 AM
    im definately wasting my money with my phone. my husband done it all for me and got a nice htc phone on a 2 year contract at 45 a month. before that i was barely using 10 a month top up credit and probably still wouldnt use it.
    vodafone wont budge 1 penny on the contract so will still be forking out for another year.
    • simax
    • By simax 31st May 12, 11:54 AM
    • 1,799 Posts
    • 617 Thanks
    simax
    • 31st May 12, 11:54 AM
    • 31st May 12, 11:54 AM
    that will be me then,only pay 18 a month for Flex35 and get half price line rental for life from t-mobile and its not a loyalty added discount ,its an old company discount from years ago,when they gave discount to staff from different company's,
    i know if i paid the full price i would not be with t-mobile on the flex plan ,because thier is better deals out thier but with it, ive not found anything to beat it
    the deal
    180 to spend on calls,text,and picture messages ,and includes picture messages from abroad
    with unlimited internet and its not got 500mb fup on it ,well if it has ive never hit it and my usage is 2GB a month
    Originally posted by banger9365
    I'm not wasting my money - got a cracking deal. Unlimtited calls/text/data and tethering for 30 a month with an iPhone 4S 64GB for 29. Bargain!
    I say it as it is - you may not like that but what would you prefer? A string of false platitudes that are no help whatsoever just to make you feel better? If my advice has helped, please press the Thanks button over here ----------------V. Cheers
    • sly_dog_jonah
    • By sly_dog_jonah 31st May 12, 12:05 PM
    • 1,005 Posts
    • 1,211 Thanks
    sly_dog_jonah
    • 31st May 12, 12:05 PM
    • 31st May 12, 12:05 PM
    An important point that the research ignores is that the marginal cost of exceeding call/text allowances is much greater than what can be saved by opting for a cheaper tarriff with fewer inclusive calls/texts. For example the difference between the 600min tariff SIM only deal I took with Vodafone and a 300min tariff was 5 (before EAP discount). However for every minute over 300 used, the charge is 35p. Therefore you only have to exceed the allowance by 15mins to exceed the cost of the higher tariff. Since my usage fluctuates dramatically from month to month it made more sense to go with the higher tariff to insure against bill shock.
    Cider Country Solar PV generator: 3.7kWp Enfinity system on unshaded SE (-36deg azimuth) & 45deg roof
    • michaels
    • By michaels 31st May 12, 12:07 PM
    • 23,033 Posts
    • 105,106 Thanks
    michaels
    • 31st May 12, 12:07 PM
    • 31st May 12, 12:07 PM
    I get 400 minutes, some irrelevant large number of texts and 1gb data for free each month but buy my handsets seperately. No doubt without looking at the cashback it would look like I was overpaying...
    Cool heads and compromise
    • sly_dog_jonah
    • By sly_dog_jonah 31st May 12, 12:14 PM
    • 1,005 Posts
    • 1,211 Thanks
    sly_dog_jonah
    • 31st May 12, 12:14 PM
    • 31st May 12, 12:14 PM
    I'm not wasting my money - got a cracking deal. Unlimtited calls/text/data and tethering for 30 a month with an iPhone 4S 64GB for 29. Bargain!
    Originally posted by simax
    Indeed that is a cracking deal so long as the term isn't longer than 2 years? That phone costs 699 direct from Apple so that's the equivalent of 29.12 over a 2 year deal. Hope the network coverage is up to scratch!
    Cider Country Solar PV generator: 3.7kWp Enfinity system on unshaded SE (-36deg azimuth) & 45deg roof
    • Jo_F
    • By Jo_F 31st May 12, 12:17 PM
    • 1,684 Posts
    • 2,173 Thanks
    Jo_F
    I would rather stick with the contract I have, and miss reaching the quota every month, that have a lower tariff and have a point where I exceed it, it feels more comfortable having that cushion of what's included in the tarrif.
    • ringo_24601
    • By ringo_24601 31st May 12, 12:20 PM
    • 17,148 Posts
    • 27,896 Thanks
    ringo_24601
    I would rather stick with the contract I have, and miss reaching the quota every month, that have a lower tariff and have a point where I exceed it, it feels more comfortable having that cushion of what's included in the tarrif.
    Originally posted by Jo_F
    Exactly - the opposite of this blog entry would be:

Millions choose the cheapest tariff and get 'stung' by excessive per minute phone charges!
    • Azari
    • By Azari 31st May 12, 12:43 PM
    • 3,941 Posts
    • 6,164 Thanks
    Azari
    Originally posted by Jo_F
    That's why the tariffs are arranged the way they are.

The less astute look at them and divide the monthly charge by the included minutes and think of that as the rate per minute.

The more mathematically 'with it' realise that what they should be doing is dividing the charge for a plan that ensures they will never go over their included minutes and divide that by their average use per month. That will get them the true cost of their call.

Of course, the real idiots then refuse to use a landline on the basis that they are getting 'free' calls in their mobile contract.
    There are two types of people in the world: Those that can extrapolate information.
    • grumbler
    • By grumbler 31st May 12, 12:58 PM
    • 51,813 Posts
    • 21,982 Thanks
    grumbler
    The more mathematically 'with it' realise that what they should be doing is dividing the charge for a plan that ensures they will never go over their included minutes and divide that by their average use per month. That will get them the true cost of their call.
    Originally posted by Azari
    The most mathematically wise will chose the tariff that just minimises the average cost allowing for going over sometimes.
    If the average minutes are, say, 110, a tariff with 100 minutes can be more cost-effective than the next one with, say, 300 minutes.

However, even this approach is far from being perfect as the amount of the 'free' minutes you get inevitably affects your average usage.
    Last edited by grumbler; 31-05-2012 at 1:01 PM.
    We are born naked, wet and hungry...Then things get worse.

.withdrawal, NOT withdrawel ..bear with me, NOT bare with me
    .definitely, NOT definately ......separate, NOT seperate
    should have, NOT should of
    .....guaranteed, NOT guarenteed
  • austeritydave
    I get more annoyed by the extortionate cost of extra's (roaming and international minutes than I do about unused bundled minutes.

The big phone companies are experts in pricing - giving away zero cost on net minutes gets customers to sign-up and they can increase their revenues on high margin international calls and roaming minutes.
    • TESCO R+R RAIDER
    • By TESCO R+R RAIDER 31st May 12, 1:23 PM
    • 467 Posts
    • 441 Thanks
    TESCO R+R RAIDER
    im on 3 pay as you go.

my deal for 15 top up is.
    all you can eat internet. (limit is 80gb)
    300 min talk time
    3000 txt messages.
    not bad for pay as you go and no monthly contract.
    given up on tesco do a lot os boots offers. but weekends are now in orange trackside b. lol
    now a race marshal at silverstone.
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 31st May 12, 2:34 PM
    • 9,053 Posts
    • 7,106 Thanks
    esuhl
    I think the headline is probably very misleading. You won't know how many minutes you will want to use in any given month, so all you can do is guess. You also have to consider the possibility of exceeding your inclusive limits... What would you do? Could you stop using the phone or would you have "no choice" but to pay extortionate call charges? If the latter, you may be better off "insuring" yourself against such risks by getting a contract with more inclusive minutes than you are likely to need. If you end up not needing them, they haven't been wasted -- you've had the peace of mind that you could use your phone excessively if you wanted. It's like insurance -- no one complains that they have "wasted" money on house insurance if their house doesn't burn down.

And I wonder what figures they are using. I get 300 minutes, unlimited texts and 500MB Internet access per month. My bill shows that the tariff costs 15.50 a month. But I pay the network operator 10.50 a month and am due 80 cashback from a third-party... so effectively that works out at 3.83 a month. But I bet the report sees me as "overspending" because I don't use the 300 minutes and would probably be fine with 100.

I think it's one of those headlines that catches your attention... until you realise that the figures used and the justifications given make the research completely meaningless.
    Last edited by esuhl; 31-05-2012 at 2:36 PM.
    • NFH
    • By NFH 31st May 12, 6:04 PM
    • 4,329 Posts
    • 1,415 Thanks
    NFH
    This is all caused by bundling, whereby customers are encouraged to buy a number of minutes, texts and megabytes per month. This forces you to buy more than you need. Imagine if this system was the norm with electricity, gas and water supplies. It makes no more sense with mobile phones than it would with other utilities. A more transparent system would be to charge customers only for what they use, with lower rates per minute, text or megabyte above certain monthly levels, giving a discount to high users.
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 31st May 12, 7:09 PM
    • 14,782 Posts
    • 13,251 Thanks
    zagfles
    This is all caused by bundling, whereby customers are encouraged to buy a number of minutes, texts and megabytes per month. This forces you to buy more than you need. Imagine if this system was the norm with electricity, gas and water supplies. It makes no more sense with mobile phones than it would with other utilities. A more transparent system would be to charge customers only for what they use, with lower rates per minute, text or megabyte above certain monthly levels, giving a discount to high users.
    Originally posted by NFH
    Yes, I've got a company mobile which works that way. No line rental or inclusive minutes or any of that rubbish, just pay per call and the rates are about 1p/min on-net/landline and about 5p/min off-net, and 2p for texts IIRC. We have to pay for our personal calls, but my bill is only about 2 usually for 100-200 mins or so.

There don't seem to be contracts like that for personal use unfortunately.
    • choccyface2006
    • By choccyface2006 31st May 12, 7:26 PM
    • 2,267 Posts
    • 1,744 Thanks
    choccyface2006
    An important point that the research ignores is that the marginal cost of exceeding call/text allowances is much greater than what can be saved by opting for a cheaper tarriff with fewer inclusive calls/texts. For example the difference between the 600min tariff SIM only deal I took with Vodafone and a 300min tariff was 5 (before EAP discount). However for every minute over 300 used, the charge is 35p. Therefore you only have to exceed the allowance by 15mins to exceed the cost of the higher tariff. Since my usage fluctuates dramatically from month to month it made more sense to go with the higher tariff to insure against bill shock.
    Originally posted by sly_dog_jonah
    This is precisely my way of thinking, I do the same on Orange.

• prowla
    • By prowla 31st May 12, 7:31 PM
    • 10,711 Posts
    • 9,672 Thanks
    prowla
    My mobile SIM only deal is 5/month, and I never use all of the minutes.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,632Posts Today

6,582Users online

Martin's Twitter