Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Helen
    • By Former MSE Helen 23rd May 12, 11:25 AM
    • 2,324Posts
    • 971Thanks
    Former MSE Helen
    MSE News: Barclaycard Freedom scheme to be scrapped
    • 23rd May 12, 11:25 AM
    MSE News: Barclaycard Freedom scheme to be scrapped 23rd May 12 at 11:25 AM
    "Barclaycard Freedom customers have until 21 June to earn Reward Money, and until 26 July to redeem any points ..."

Page 1
    • VT82
    • By VT82 23rd May 12, 12:06 PM
    • 1,038 Posts
    • 877 Thanks
    VT82
    • 23rd May 12, 12:06 PM
    • 23rd May 12, 12:06 PM
    Barclaycard have sent me loads of bumf about Barclaycard Freedom in the past. While I love a good reward scheme, every time I looked into this I remember thinking it looked like a load of rubbish.

Doubt it will be missed.
    • Pincher
    • By Pincher 23rd May 12, 12:12 PM
    • 6,516 Posts
    • 2,491 Thanks
    Pincher
    • 23rd May 12, 12:12 PM
    • 23rd May 12, 12:12 PM
    Please use our pre-selected clip joints.

No wonder my Reward Money balance is zero.
    • Joe_Bloggs
    • By Joe_Bloggs 23rd May 12, 12:14 PM
    • 4,487 Posts
    • 1,583 Thanks
    Joe_Bloggs
    • 23rd May 12, 12:14 PM
    • 23rd May 12, 12:14 PM
    I think they should provide a means so that this reward money can be donated to charities if the card holder can't find anything suitable to spend it on.
    J_B.
    • oscarward
    • By oscarward 23rd May 12, 1:06 PM
    • 677 Posts
    • 267 Thanks
    oscarward
    • 23rd May 12, 1:06 PM
    • 23rd May 12, 1:06 PM
    With mine they put a credit balance on the card last year which I then used to pay my sons student insurance.
  • Abetorius
    • 23rd May 12, 2:37 PM
    • 23rd May 12, 2:37 PM
    I'm lost, I was a morgan stanley card holder (1% cash back) and was moved to goldfish and then to barclaycard when they bought them over, at that time they said that they would be uphold my existing 1% cashback scheme as they had bought my custom from the other provider. Now they are scrapping it, I feel totally cheated and like this can't be legal this would be like comet selling me a TV, dixons buying them over, letting me keep the tv for 2 years then replacing it with a radio.

Probably time to move away from Barclaycard and return to telling people not to bank with them I guess, bit like Bank of Scotland and Royal Bank of Scotland.
    • thegoodman
    • By thegoodman 23rd May 12, 2:44 PM
    • 1,219 Posts
    • 217 Thanks
    thegoodman
    • 23rd May 12, 2:44 PM
    • 23rd May 12, 2:44 PM
    Now they are scrapping it, I feel totally cheated and like this can't be legal this would be like comet selling me a TV, dixons buying them over, letting me keep the tv for 2 years then replacing it with a radio.

Probably time to move away from Barclaycard and return to telling people not to bank with them I guess, bit like Bank of Scotland and Royal Bank of Scotland.
    Originally posted by Abetorius
    Your example is wrong in this case. With all credit cards, the company do not need to give you a credit or rewards. You are not buying a product. The card company can stop your credit and reward at any time.
  • Abetorius
    • 23rd May 12, 3:11 PM
    • 23rd May 12, 3:11 PM
    Your example is wrong in this case. With all credit cards, the company do not need to give you a credit or rewards. You are not buying a product. The card company can stop your credit and reward at any time.
    Originally posted by thegoodman
    Not wrong, but certainly a grey area. Since I didn't at any point take a service with Barclaycard, they bought my custom from another company and are now ceasing to support the service that they bought after telling me that they would continue to support it.
    It's just another in a long chain of issues I have with Barclaycard, had they not upheld the cashback when buying out goldfish I would have jumped ship then.
    • TadleyBaggie
    • By TadleyBaggie 23rd May 12, 3:21 PM
    • 3,210 Posts
    • 2,476 Thanks
    TadleyBaggie
    • 23rd May 12, 3:21 PM
    • 23rd May 12, 3:21 PM
    I'm lost, I was a morgan stanley card holder (1% cash back) and was moved to goldfish and then to barclaycard when they bought them over, at that time they said that they would be uphold my existing 1% cashback scheme as they had bought my custom from the other provider. Now they are scrapping it
    They are not scrapping the cashback, that still remains. What they are scrapping are is Freedom Reward scheme which was nothing to do with the cashback.
    • callum9999
    • By callum9999 23rd May 12, 4:28 PM
    • 3,950 Posts
    • 2,408 Thanks
    callum9999
    Not wrong, but certainly a grey area. Since I didn't at any point take a service with Barclaycard, they bought my custom from another company and are now ceasing to support the service that they bought after telling me that they would continue to support it.
    It's just another in a long chain of issues I have with Barclaycard, had they not upheld the cashback when buying out goldfish I would have jumped ship then.
    I think what they meant was that your previous provider had zero obligation to give you 1% cashback (as in they can withdraw it at any time - obviously they have to honour any you've already acquired). Barclaycard then also had zero obligation to continue paying out the 1%, it is not illegal for them to stop (as long as they tell you).

Though the impression I get is the same as TadleyBaggie above. Unless I'm wrong, freedom seemed to be their semi-cashback scheme that they applied to anyone who didn't have a proper cashback scheme with them. I'd imagine your cashback will continue (though that's not to say that will go as well when they release their new schemes in future).
  • Abetorius
    They are not scrapping the cashback, that still remains. What they are scrapping are is Freedom Reward scheme which was nothing to do with the cashback.
    Originally posted by TadleyBaggie
    They replaced the cashback with the freedom rewards scheme, or so it appears on my account information.
    From their email: "As we move forward with these programmes you will no longer be able to earn Reward Money after 21 June 2012 and you will have until 26 July 2012 to redeem any you've saved up."
    Could be I'm mistaken here, feel free to point me at your source that shows that I should still be receiving cash back as a founding card holder.
    • callum9999
    • By callum9999 23rd May 12, 5:15 PM
    • 3,950 Posts
    • 2,408 Thanks
    callum9999
    They replaced the cashback with the freedom rewards scheme, or so it appears on my account information.
    From their email: "As we move forward with these programmes you will no longer be able to earn Reward Money after 21 June 2012 and you will have until 26 July 2012 to redeem any you've saved up."
    Could be I'm mistaken here, feel free to point me at your source that shows that I should still be receiving cash back as a founding card holder.
    Ah, in that case you lose the cashback. And as I said above, Barclays have absolutely zero obligation to continue offering cashback so are doing nothing wrong (legally).

You can either close it down, or hang on for a few months to see if their replacement is going to be any good.
  • Abetorius
    Ah, in that case you lose the cashback. And as I said above, Barclays have absolutely zero obligation to continue offering cashback so are doing nothing wrong (legally).

You can either close it down, or hang on for a few months to see if their replacement is going to be any good.
    Originally posted by callum9999
    I'll wait until the end of June which will give me a chance to shop around.
    • redbiro
    • By redbiro 23rd May 12, 5:58 PM
    • 156 Posts
    • 90 Thanks
    redbiro
    Thought it would be a bad idea to sign up with there junk mail.
    They all jumped ship shortly after doin the Nectar card scheme some yras back so ,we know what to expect with the next;Also they keep changing my log in details , I have had to set them up 6-7 time now, I can only think that they are tryin to rip of by way of the premium rate number which goes to india & they conviently have diffuculty understanging everything said so repeat lots keeps folk on the phone longer
    • udydudy
    • By udydudy 23rd May 12, 6:21 PM
    • 551 Posts
    • 188 Thanks
    udydudy
    i24?
    I'll wait until the end of June which will give me a chance to shop around.
    Were you morgan stanley i24 customer? this used to be(and still is) a card with an annual fee and 1% Cashback. the freedom reward change has nothing to do with this as per as I know. A colleague has the same card and his cashback has not changed.
    • callum9999
    • By callum9999 23rd May 12, 6:46 PM
    • 3,950 Posts
    • 2,408 Thanks
    callum9999
    Thought it would be a bad idea to sign up with there junk mail.
    They all jumped ship shortly after doin the Nectar card scheme some yras back so ,we know what to expect with the next;Also they keep changing my log in details , I have had to set them up 6-7 time now, I can only think that they are tryin to rip of by way of the premium rate number which goes to india & they conviently have diffuculty understanging everything said so repeat lots keeps folk on the phone longer
    Originally posted by redbiro
    I think that's incredibly unlikely, what with their number not being premium rate, and their call centres making costing more to run than the call income they get (which is, to them, minuscule).
    • Froggitt
    • By Froggitt 23rd May 12, 7:11 PM
    • 5,833 Posts
    • 3,073 Thanks
    Froggitt
    Im assuming that ex-Egg card holders are unaffected by this ie 1% cashback?

Its bizarre they scrap the Rewards scheme without announcing the new scheme. Maybe its a cunning plan to lose half a million cardholders to CapitalOne.
    illegitimi non carborundum
  • juliusceasor
    Am unimpressed by the Rewards from Barclaycard, like others here I was with another provider the shell Citi card I think before ending up with Barclaycard. I'll see what they come up with as an alternative reward (not holding my Breath), in the interim research for a better cashback card and see if they'll match the credit limit then consider moving.
    Matching the limit is the unknown in my mind.
    • Froggitt
    • By Froggitt 23rd May 12, 7:41 PM
    • 5,833 Posts
    • 3,073 Thanks
    Froggitt
    It reminded me of the reward scheme TSB had about thirty years ago......toasters, kettles etc.
    illegitimi non carborundum
    • TadleyBaggie
    • By TadleyBaggie 23rd May 12, 7:54 PM
    • 3,210 Posts
    • 2,476 Thanks
    TadleyBaggie
    You are mistaken, I still get a monthly cashback figure on my online statement in a section called "Your Cashback". The Freedom award shows up on the summary page and in my case hasn't changed for at least a year.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

331Posts Today

1,815Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Mini MSE is on half term next week, so I'm excited to be taking the week off to be daddy. As normal I'm signing of? https://t.co/G3366shWh1

• I once blurted out on @gmb "Theresa May hasn't been given a poisoned chalice - she's been given a poisoned chalice? https://t.co/onfRbY3XVg

• It'd be fascinating to know how history will judge Theresa May's premiership. Currently, it is hard to see it as a? https://t.co/eH77G0O9LA

• Follow Martin