Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Guy
    • By MSE Guy 21st May 12, 4:43 PM
    • 1,628Posts
    • 1,255Thanks
    MSE Guy
    MSE Blog: Would you get a bank account with a free dog?
    • 21st May 12, 4:43 PM
    MSE Blog: Would you get a bank account with a free dog? 21st May 12 at 4:43 PM
    Hi all, this is a thread to discuss the MSE blog:
    Would you get a bank account with a free dog?

"We’re all used to banks offering freebies to lure us into lending them our cash. But the oddest – but maybe sweetest – offer yet comes from London-based Metro Bank..."
Page 1
  • Dr_Cuckoo3
    • 21st May 12, 6:15 PM
    • 21st May 12, 6:15 PM
    What gimmick will they come up with next ?

Nobody uses the coin counting machine , dog biscuits and lollipops

Nobody uses the counter service in the evening
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
    • wouldbeqaulitymoneysaver
    • By wouldbeqaulitymoneysaver 21st May 12, 6:30 PM
    • 5,607 Posts
    • 10,481 Thanks
    wouldbeqaulitymoneysaver
    • 21st May 12, 6:30 PM
    • 21st May 12, 6:30 PM
    A free pooch!!!!!!????
    #TY[/B] Would be Qaulity MSE Challenge Queen.
    [B]Reading whatever books I want to the rescue!:beer[/B
    WannabeBarrister, WannabeWife, Wannabe Campaign Girl Wannabe MSE Girl #wannnabeALLmyFamilygirl
    #notbackyetIamfightingfortherighttobeMSEandFREE
  • Anubis
    • 21st May 12, 6:56 PM
    • 21st May 12, 6:56 PM
    You need to read it, they will refund the cost of rescue dogs/cats.

Account holders who rehome a dog from Battersea Dogs and Cats Home will get their fees refunded by up to £105. If you’re more of a cat person, you can get up to £65 refunded for bringing home a tabby.

So you could, essentially, open an account and get a free dog given £105 is the Battersea rehoming fee. Or a heavily-discounted one, at least.
    How people treat you becomes their karma; how you react becomes yours.
    • JuicyJesus
    • By JuicyJesus 21st May 12, 8:44 PM
    • 3,481 Posts
    • 3,940 Thanks
    JuicyJesus
    • 21st May 12, 8:44 PM
    • 21st May 12, 8:44 PM
    Metro Bank smack to me of an amateurish operation. I'd rather my bank focused on providing an efficient banking service rather than going on about sodding pets.

I don't care if you allow dogs in your branches or not. I don't care if you give out doggy biscuits. Just run my accounts competently and otherwise shut up.

This latest exercise... whose idea was this precisely? It's like someone extremely stupid tried to copy Santander's switching bonuses. Only missing the point spectacularly. Not least since the massive outlay of getting a dog or cat is not usually in the dog or cat; it's in the years/decades of food, medical care and repeated hoovering that ensue.

What gimmick will they come up with next ?

Nobody uses the coin counting machine , dog biscuits and lollipops

Nobody uses the counter service in the evening
    Originally posted by Dr_Cuckoo3
    Let's condense this down: Nobody uses Metro Bank. Well, aside from people rate tarting for foreign card usage, and I fail to see how that makes a solid, reliable and profitable customer base.

Moreover I have never once sworn myself blind because I needed to use the bank and they were shut. I think Metro are targeting a niche that doesn't actually exist with late/Sunday branch openings.
    Last edited by JuicyJesus; 21-05-2012 at 8:48 PM.
    urs sinserly,
    ~~joosy jeezus~~
    • Joe_Bloggs
    • By Joe_Bloggs 21st May 12, 9:53 PM
    • 4,485 Posts
    • 1,582 Thanks
    Joe_Bloggs
    • 21st May 12, 9:53 PM
    • 21st May 12, 9:53 PM
    I think it is a noble attempt to assist abandoned animals but it is not practical and is unsuitable for so many of their customers. The success stories would make great publicity.

They could sponsor some dog dancing team / and get publicity / new accounts that way.

J_B. (In many other cultures dog and cat is on the menu. )
    • callum9999
    • By callum9999 21st May 12, 11:51 PM
    • 3,950 Posts
    • 2,408 Thanks
    callum9999
    • 21st May 12, 11:51 PM
    • 21st May 12, 11:51 PM
    They have a partnership with Battersea Dogs Home (the founder of Metrobank loves dogs) and this is just an extension of that support - one which may get some customers involved.

The founder did the same concept in America and within a few years it became one of the biggest in the country. As bank satisfaction is a LOT lower in the UK than it is in the US, logically it should work.

Though it honestly wouldn't surprise me if people stick with a bank they hate just so they can have a moan about it!
    • wouldbeqaulitymoneysaver
    • By wouldbeqaulitymoneysaver 21st May 12, 11:57 PM
    • 5,607 Posts
    • 10,481 Thanks
    wouldbeqaulitymoneysaver
    • 21st May 12, 11:57 PM
    • 21st May 12, 11:57 PM
    Barclays Bank sponsers Bikes.http://www.tfl.gov.uk/roadusers/cycling/14808.aspx
    #TY[/B] Would be Qaulity MSE Challenge Queen.
    [B]Reading whatever books I want to the rescue!:beer[/B
    WannabeBarrister, WannabeWife, Wannabe Campaign Girl Wannabe MSE Girl #wannnabeALLmyFamilygirl
    #notbackyetIamfightingfortherighttobeMSEandFREE
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

166Posts Today

1,400Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Quick twitter poll: Will Theresa May still be the PM of the UK a week today?

• Thank you for all the sensitive teeth rememedies. I'm going to try (not the alchohol ones though - on air early tomorrow)

• Grrrr. I've sensitive tooth pain after going to the dentist last week for a filling. I've been putting sensodyne? https://t.co/A1Q8sdSukK

• Follow Martin