Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Former MSE Debs
    Who's your dream UK Chancellor?
    • 14th May 12, 12:14 PM
    Who's your dream UK Chancellor? 14th May 12 at 12:14 PM
    Poll started 14 May 2012, click here to vote

It’s been two years since the last general election. The economy still dominates political talk, just as it did back then. We asked the following question a year ago, but we’d like to know how your views stand now. Which of these politicians do you think would best improve the UK economy?

Pick your dream Chancellor…

Danny Alexander
    Ed Balls
    Gordon Brown

Vince Cable
    David Cameron
    Ken Clarke
    Nick Clegg
    Ed Miliband
    George Osborne

Click 'post reply' to discuss below. Thanks

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Debs; 14-05-2012 at 12:44 PM.
Page 1
    • jimpix12
    • By jimpix12 14th May 12, 12:58 PM
    • 1,069 Posts
    • 956 Thanks
    jimpix12
    • 14th May 12, 12:58 PM
    • 14th May 12, 12:58 PM
    I wish I could say that it's quite shocking that already Gormless Brown is winning, but unfortunately it isn't. Memory like a sieve?

Unfortunately MSE left out the "none of the above" option.
    "The only man who makes money from a gold rush is the one selling the shovels..."
  • danechip
    • 14th May 12, 3:54 PM
    • 14th May 12, 3:54 PM
    I voted Cameron. We elected him, why moan about it. My first choice would be Jeremy Clarkson, second Boris (because he's funy as phuck) and why not Martin Lewis for third ????
    Last edited by danechip; 14-05-2012 at 3:55 PM. Reason: EDIT: Sorry, I read as PM. Martin Lewis for Chancellor No1. wooooo
  • fatfei
    • 14th May 12, 3:59 PM
    • 14th May 12, 3:59 PM
    I wish I could say that it's quite shocking that already Gormless Brown is winning, but unfortunately it isn't. Memory like a sieve?

Unfortunately MSE left out the "none of the above" option.
    Originally posted by spunko2010
    You said it. Does no one remember this is the man who was the main cause of the UK's economic collapse.
    • Gordon the Moron
    • By Gordon the Moron 14th May 12, 4:31 PM
    • 1,452 Posts
    • 739 Thanks
    Gordon the Moron
    • 14th May 12, 4:31 PM
    • 14th May 12, 4:31 PM
    Ken Clarke for chancellor, Michael Howard for justice secretary.
    If you don't like what I say slap me around with a large trout and PM me to tell me why.

If you do like it please hit the thanks button.
    • happyinflorida
    • By happyinflorida 14th May 12, 4:44 PM
    • 766 Posts
    • 657 Thanks
    happyinflorida
    • 14th May 12, 4:44 PM
    • 14th May 12, 4:44 PM
    why isn't there a "none of the above" option?

i'm not voting in this due to that = not one of those idiots is worth anything
  • miketrim
    • 14th May 12, 5:25 PM
    • 14th May 12, 5:25 PM
    106 votes for Brown! Probably the Chancellor with the worst legacy in history and 22% of people want him back. That just about sums up Britain.
    • lynzpower
    • By lynzpower 14th May 12, 5:38 PM
    • 24,745 Posts
    • 39,940 Thanks
    lynzpower
    • 14th May 12, 5:38 PM
    • 14th May 12, 5:38 PM
    Love the way cables in the lead, he doesnt know what he thinks: he did used to be my favourite choice till he got a sniff of power and now pretty much agrees with the tory slash and burn approach to growth
    Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
    This Ive come to know...
    So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast
    • lukeuser01
    • By lukeuser01 14th May 12, 7:35 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    lukeuser01
    • 14th May 12, 7:35 PM
    Vince
    • 14th May 12, 7:35 PM
    Glad Vince is leading, though I find it surprising since lib dems doing terribly in opinion polls/council elections. Lib dems aren't trying to please anyone, just do the best thing (I wouldn't judge them on coalition performance, it's not they're fault Tories got so many votes).
  • MrPaulSir
    I'd like to say Vince Cable because he sounds like he should be one of them american wrestler types, it would be funny to see him as chancellor strutting his stuff in some over the top outrageous costume.

I am Vince Cable and I will beat this country into financial submission!

As long as no member of the *critical party* wins then good!

*critical party = labour, they love to criticise policies but never provide any solutions other than feeding human vending machines and inventing systems like tax credits which credit non-taxpayers!!! What?!! Diatrocious!!
    Sir yes sir, sir?
    • stevemcol
    • By stevemcol 15th May 12, 10:16 AM
    • 1,650 Posts
    • 781 Thanks
    stevemcol
    I'm labour through and through but have always had a grudging respect for Ken Clarke.
    He is one of the most pragamatic, straight talking, least political senior MPs around. I just wish he leaned to the left.
    Apparently I'm 10 years old on MSE. Happy birthday to me...etc
  • tescobabe69
    106 votes for Brown! Probably the Chancellor with the worst legacy in history and 22% of people want him back. That just about sums up Britain.
    Originally posted by miketrim
    Might that be the 22% that benefitted from his policies ?
    • nickorossa
    • By nickorossa 15th May 12, 7:28 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    nickorossa
    Ken Clark / Gordon Brown.... Really?
    Wasn't Ken Clark pro taking us into the Euro?

The only good thing Gordon Brown did was keep us out of the Euro.
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 15th May 12, 8:23 PM
    • 9,469 Posts
    • 11,380 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    Can we have Harvey off the telly adverts as an option please?
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
    • dug123
    • By dug123 16th May 12, 8:46 AM
    • 289 Posts
    • 287 Thanks
    dug123
    I think that before the next election (where if things carry on as they are the Lib Dems will be annihilated) That Nick Clegg will be sacked and Vince Cable will be the new Lib Dem leader and in the next 18 months we will see the coalition break up, the Lib Dems will pick a fight with the Tories on an issue which they believe the public care about.
    This is the only way I can see a resurgance of the Lib Dems.
    IMO as a Labour supporter.
    Last edited by dug123; 16-05-2012 at 8:47 AM. Reason: grammer
    • stevemcol
    • By stevemcol 16th May 12, 9:23 AM
    • 1,650 Posts
    • 781 Thanks
    stevemcol
    Wasn't Ken Clark pro taking us into the Euro?

The only good thing Gordon Brown did was keep us out of the Euro.
    Originally posted by nickorossa
    I didn't say I agree with all his policies, past or present. I don't actually agree with his choice of party. I just think his personal attributes, intelligence, experience and no nonsense approach are rare in the world of UK politics.
    His record as chancellor in the 90's was formidable. Something Gordo built on in the early years before it all went pear shaped.
    • StaffsSW
    • By StaffsSW 16th May 12, 11:24 AM
    • 5,530 Posts
    • 5,760 Thanks
    StaffsSW
    This is why Winky should never have been left in charge of the National cheque book, and why we are having to endure so many cuts at the moment.
    (and bear in mind this if from the pro-Labour Guardian)

<--- Nothing to see here - move along --->
    • ceivegz
    • By ceivegz 16th May 12, 11:51 AM
    • 66 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    ceivegz
    This is why Winky should never have been left in charge of the National cheque book, and why we are having to endure so many cuts at the moment.
    (and bear in mind this if from the pro-Labour Guardian)

Originally posted by stevew8975
    Dull and characterless, maybe, and maybe even one of the worst prime ministers we've had, but this chart does prove that Gordon Brown was the best chancellor we've had ... does anyone remember what interest rates were like in the early to mid 90s? 12% at one point. And as for Vince Cable ... he'd just tax us all out of existence!
    • stevemcol
    • By stevemcol 16th May 12, 12:05 PM
    • 1,650 Posts
    • 781 Thanks
    stevemcol
    Similar picture across the pond. Difficult to attribute the whole scenario to the UK PM / Chancellor

• StaffsSW
    • By StaffsSW 16th May 12, 12:07 PM
    • 5,530 Posts
    • 5,760 Thanks
    StaffsSW
    Dull and characterless, maybe, and maybe even one of the worst prime ministers we've had, but this chart does prove that Gordon Brown was the best chancellor we've had ... does anyone remember what interest rates were like in the early to mid 90s? 12% at one point. And as for Vince Cable ... he'd just tax us all out of existence!
    Originally posted by ceivegz
    3 years of a surplus in an economic boom, but without the foresight to build a warchest? And what was he doing in the latter years if he wasn't squandering our money in a desperate attempt to buy the votes of the masses who were only interested in their own benefit, and not that of the nation, or the nations future?
    In just 6 years he overspent by 270bn, and allowed his successor to overspend by a further 152bn on top of that?!

Just how exactly can that be seen as "the best chancellor we've had"? The nation will be paying off his debts for many many years.

He couldn't run a bath, let alone an economy.
    <--- Nothing to see here - move along --->
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,822Posts Today

3,812Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Mini MSE is on half term next week, so I'm excited to be taking the week off to be daddy. As normal I'm signing of? https://t.co/G3366shWh1

• I once blurted out on @gmb "Theresa May hasn't been given a poisoned chalice - she's been given a poisoned chalice? https://t.co/onfRbY3XVg

• It'd be fascinating to know how history will judge Theresa May's premiership. Currently, it is hard to see it as a? https://t.co/eH77G0O9LA

• Follow Martin