Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Penny-Pincher!!
    Is Jam Easy To Make???
    • 16th May 05, 7:41 AM
    Is Jam Easy To Make??? 16th May 05 at 7:41 AM
    Hello There

I have this morning received a voucher from Lakeland Had a look through their mega expensive brochure..prices shocking

Anyway, noticed their jam jars priced I assume quite cheaply. 12 1lb jars for 4.50. So it got me thinking :rolleyes:

How easy and cheap is jam to make at home? I dont know if I have missed another thread regarding this?

How much fruit would I need etc to fill 12 jars and how do i do it??? Is it really cost effective to do this?

I normally buy jam from Lidls, either Cherry, Strawberry & Raspberry. I think these are like 69pence each...so is it really worth making?

Thanks
    Penny-Pincher!!
    xxx
Page 1
    • spendaholic
    • By spendaholic 16th May 05, 7:43 AM
    • 1,454 Posts
    • 7,664 Thanks
    spendaholic
    • 16th May 05, 7:43 AM
    • 16th May 05, 7:43 AM
    Quick reply here, PP - jam, I think, is incredibly easy to make. You can control the amount of sugar you use and it tastes deliciious. I have loads of jam and marmalade recipes, including one from the WW2 cook book, We'll Eat Again. If you like I'll post a few up - unless others already have them ready to copy and paste ...
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 16th May 05, 7:45 AM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    • 16th May 05, 7:45 AM
    • 16th May 05, 7:45 AM
    You'll find some help and advice Here
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = 5.20 Apr 0.50
    • Chris25
    • By Chris25 16th May 05, 8:07 AM
    • 12,776 Posts
    • 12,609 Thanks
    Chris25
    • 16th May 05, 8:07 AM
    • 16th May 05, 8:07 AM
    If you'd like to try something a bit different, try these - http://www.recipegoldmine.com/microwave/micro16.html
    http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/cat/7/0.shtml

Not sure why the second one doesn't work as a link but you can cut and paste for more recipes and tips.

Weird! it works as a link now:confused:
    Last edited by Chris25; 16-05-2005 at 8:13 AM.
    • Chris25
    • By Chris25 16th May 05, 8:08 AM
    • 12,776 Posts
    • 12,609 Thanks
    Chris25
    • 16th May 05, 8:08 AM
    • 16th May 05, 8:08 AM
    http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/recs/7/Fresh_Peach_Jam_in_the_Microwave51600.shtml

this might work
  • ET03
    • 16th May 05, 8:11 AM
    • 16th May 05, 8:11 AM
    delia has some great well explained jam recipes
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 16th May 05, 8:13 AM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    • 16th May 05, 8:13 AM
    • 16th May 05, 8:13 AM
    Delias site is here: http://www.deliaonline.com/
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• Ted_Hutchinson
    • 16th May 05, 8:22 AM
    • 16th May 05, 8:22 AM
    I make jam and marmalade every year and have never "Bought" a jamjar.

If you are currently using bought jam then just put those jars through the dishwasher when empty and reuse them or wash them up as normal. If you haven't got a batch of jars to hand when you want to make some jam you can usually scrounge some empties from friends and neighbours. Giving the lids a good clean as well will enable them to be reused at least once but if your using old pickle jars you may not be able to get the smell off so may need to buy new lids (lakeland or WI) to replace those.

You can practice making small quantities of jam in a microwave and I think some people with some breadmakers can use those to make small batches of jam.

We make jam because we have a lot of soft fruit which needs dealing with and the quality, taste of home made jam is better than bought, but as far as cost is concerned Lidl's will be cheaper.
    • apprentice tycoon
    • By apprentice tycoon 16th May 05, 8:27 AM
    • 3,286 Posts
    • 2,939 Thanks
    apprentice tycoon
    • 16th May 05, 8:27 AM
    • 16th May 05, 8:27 AM
    I use Jam Sugar that you can buy at supermarkets, it has added pectin which makes things a lot easier (pectin is a natural substance that helps setting, some fruits don't have enough, some do) using the jam sugar cuts out the need to test for pectin with meths. If you are in the mood for experimenting you can try the more unconventional jams, such as kiwi or peach, adding a little alcohol if you have it (peach with Archers is good) just make a jar full at a time then if it isn't quite right you can always use it up with ice cream.
    • moggins
    • By moggins 16th May 05, 8:33 AM
    • 5,177 Posts
    • 10,159 Thanks
    moggins
    I was also going to say don't buy jars. You can accumulate loads of these in no time at all especially if you ask family, friends and neighbours to save their jars for you.

You don't really need to use jam sugar either. The juice of one lemon will usually give you enough pectin to set about 5lbs of jam. Or start off using a recipe that has some cooking apple in it, these set really easily. The only one I have problems with is strawberry and I can never get that to set no matter what I put in it.
    Organised people are just too lazy to look for things

F U Fund currently at 250
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 16th May 05, 8:35 AM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    I overdid my attempt at strawberry jam. Finished up with some really nice strawberry toffee instead

• moggins
    • By moggins 16th May 05, 8:36 AM
    • 5,177 Posts
    • 10,159 Thanks
    moggins
    LOL, can you come and help me then Squeaky? Between the two of us we should just about get it right.

• squeaky
    • By squeaky 16th May 05, 8:41 AM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    LOL. I make a really good mandarin toffee too It was meant to be a thick syrup for ice cream but set solid on contact. Oh well. It tasted nice.

• margaret
    I have just finished making rasberry jam and it is quite delicious. However, Lidl's jam is VERY cheap and tastes nothing like this. The only comparable commercial jam that compares is MacKay's Rasberry Conserve at 1.30 per jar and though I haven't worked it out, I think that both prices will be roughly the same.
    If you are trying to save money, it isn't worthwhile making your own.

Margaret
    • moggins
    • By moggins 16th May 05, 8:48 AM
    • 5,177 Posts
    • 10,159 Thanks
    moggins
    It all depends really, doesn't it? If you can get all your fruit for free, then all you are paying for is the sugar?

I never make jam before September, that's my time for touring round the countryside and finding what I can pick from the hedgerows.

Although I may make an exception this year now I have found a recipe for carrot marmalade

• ET03
    Easy Raspberry Jam
    3 cups raspberries
    3 cups sugar
    Mash berries in a saucepan and stir in sugar. Bring to a boil and boil for 3 minutes. Remove from heat and beat with a wire whip or mixer for 6 minutes. Pour into jars and allow to cool. If not canning, keep stored in refrigerator.
    • Chris25
    • By Chris25 16th May 05, 10:51 AM
    • 12,776 Posts
    • 12,609 Thanks
    Chris25
    I have just finished making rasberry jam and it is quite delicious. However, Lidl's jam is VERY cheap and tastes nothing like this. The only comparable commercial jam that compares is MacKay's Rasberry Conserve at 1.30 per jar and though I haven't worked it out, I think that both prices will be roughly the same.
    If you are trying to save money, it isn't worthwhile making your own.

Margaret
    by margaret
    .................but it won't be long before you'll be able to PYO, if you live near PYO centre or farm

.....and just look out for cheap sugar
  • lucky111
    HI i know im a bit thick? but has anyone got any recipies, of how to do jams and chutney etc,??? please many thanks
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 16th May 05, 11:13 AM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    Hiya, welcome to MoneySaving

If you click on The Indexes in my signature there are some recipes in our Old Style Collection listed there and also some in the BreadMaker thread listed there if you have a breadmaker and at the bottom of that page are links to sites like Jamie Oliver and Delia which you could search for inspiration and information.
    Last edited by squeaky; 16-05-2005 at 2:35 PM.

• Debt_Free_Chick
    • By Debt_Free_Chick 16th May 05, 11:15 AM
    • 13,149 Posts
    • 9,492 Thanks
    Debt_Free_Chick
    HI i know im a bit thick? but has anyone got any recipies, of how to do jams and chutney etc,??? please many thanks
    by lucky111
    Google is your friend

Chutney Recipes

Jam Recipes
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,905Posts Today

7,434Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Boris Johnson is now going to be our prime minister. Worth a pause for thought, whatever your political persuasion.

• Boy they're dragging out this #conservativeleadership announcement.Three introducers now each grabbing air time. Get on with it please!

• RT @Screeeeamer: @dwlstacey @MartinSLewis @TUIUK Dear mr Stacy, I need to let you know of a slight amendment to the Porsche 911 you ordered?

• Follow Martin