Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Helen
    • By Former MSE Helen 10th May 12, 1:34 PM
    • 2,324Posts
    • 971Thanks
    Former MSE Helen
    MSE News: Split ticket app reveals hidden cheaper rail fares
    • 10th May 12, 1:34 PM
    MSE News: Split ticket app reveals hidden cheaper rail fares 10th May 12 at 1:34 PM
    This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"Trailblazing new tool hits the top 10 in the App Store in its first week ..."

Page 1
    • Kushan
    • By Kushan 10th May 12, 2:16 PM
    • 70 Posts
    • 44 Thanks
    Kushan
    • 10th May 12, 2:16 PM
    Obvious question is obvious
    • 10th May 12, 2:16 PM
    When will there be an android app?
    • jamesd
    • By jamesd 10th May 12, 3:01 PM
    • 23,514 Posts
    • 15,841 Thanks
    jamesd
    • 10th May 12, 3:01 PM
    • 10th May 12, 3:01 PM
    Is this really free? All commissions delivered to the ticket purchaser and none retained by the service provider? Or only sufficient retained to pay for the service development and operating costs?

For some idea of the ethical considerations involved here, take a look at this discussion in pure money, where one IFA suggested that another should be reported to a compliance officer for a "lie" that a service would be free if it was being paid for by commission.

None of this should be taken as me expressing a view that the concept is bad nor that any charges involved are excessive - my views on those things are more likely to be the opposite of that. It's purely about the ethics of the pricing claim if any commission, referral fee or similar is being retained.

I expect MSE to be at least trying to match the ethical standards expected of IFAs.
    Last edited by jamesd; 10-05-2012 at 3:03 PM.
    • jamesd
    • By jamesd 10th May 12, 3:06 PM
    • 23,514 Posts
    • 15,841 Thanks
    jamesd
    • 10th May 12, 3:06 PM
    • 10th May 12, 3:06 PM
    It's nice to see this being done and it should help people to save a lot of money. Nice move!
    • dggar
    • By dggar 10th May 12, 3:12 PM
    • 593 Posts
    • 285 Thanks
    dggar
    • 10th May 12, 3:12 PM
    • 10th May 12, 3:12 PM
    I tried this today to find the best split for a journey from
    Manchester to Whitby.

The most logical station is Middlesborough where there is a change of train operationg company.

the app came up with Stalybridge which, for those not familiar with Manchester, is the first stop on the Manchester-Leeds route about 7 miles out of Manchester.
  • Former MSE Dan
    • 10th May 12, 3:17 PM
    • 10th May 12, 3:17 PM
    When will there be an android app?
    Originally posted by Kushan
    Hi Kushan,

We have built a mobile optimised version for non-iOS smartphones - just go here:

http://splitticket.moneysavingexpert.com/

Dan
  • powershopper
    • 10th May 12, 3:53 PM
    • 10th May 12, 3:53 PM
    This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"Trailblazing new tool hits the top 10 in the App Store in its first week ..."

Originally posted by MSE Helen
    can I use this in my PC ?
    • Jeff Bridges hair
    • By Jeff Bridges hair 10th May 12, 5:44 PM
    • 5,952 Posts
    • 7,233 Thanks
    Jeff Bridges hair
    • 10th May 12, 5:44 PM
    • 10th May 12, 5:44 PM
    Once again you have mentioned 'Hidden fares'.

Can you please alter your thread title and your story to reflect this. Once again I have to inform you that the fares are NOT 'Hidden' they are all in the booking engines - the same ones that you use to find the splits your app uses.

Whilst your app is probably the first one that has seemingly cracked the difficulty of finding splits you are misleading the public who will use this app by stating that the fares are hidden.

Im quite dissapointed that even though you changed the original thread which had the app in you have gone again and claimed that the fares are 'Hidden'.

This is not true. And its not the sort of sensationalist journalism that I would expect from yourselves.

EDIT: Also I hope that when the full service with advances and returns goes live you will have the full list of restrictions clearly shown on the screen for the tickets that you are showing. And you fix the rather odd timing anomolies that are apparent with some searches i have done already
    Last edited by Jeff Bridges hair; 10-05-2012 at 5:47 PM.
    "If you no longer go for a gap, you are no longer a racing driver" - Ayrton Senna
    • poppy10
    • By poppy10 10th May 12, 5:55 PM
    • 6,226 Posts
    • 7,548 Thanks
    poppy10
    • 10th May 12, 5:55 PM
    • 10th May 12, 5:55 PM
    Can you please alter your thread title and your story to reflect this. Once again I have to inform you that the fares are NOT 'Hidden' they are all in the booking engines - the same ones that you use to find the splits your app uses.
    Originally posted by Jeff Bridges hair
    They are effectively hidden as they are (deliberately) difficult to find using the standard booking sites. This app makes it much easier.
    • Jeff Bridges hair
    • By Jeff Bridges hair 10th May 12, 6:01 PM
    • 5,952 Posts
    • 7,233 Thanks
    Jeff Bridges hair
    They are effectively hidden as they are (deliberately) difficult to find using the standard booking sites. This app makes it much easier.
    Originally posted by poppy10
    No they are not. You enter you want to go from place A to place B it will show the fare for the journey you want.

You want to be split you ticket and go from A to B to C to D then you can easily enter them into any booking engine. Therefore they are not hidden.

In fact on most websites now - especially the National rail one you can actually open up the 'calling points' of the train you want and then do it yourself. Therefore the fares are NOT hidden.

Yes this app makes splitting tickets easier but that does not mean the fares are hidden and to claim they are is false.
    "If you no longer go for a gap, you are no longer a racing driver" - Ayrton Senna
    • Nath4n
    • By Nath4n 10th May 12, 6:19 PM
    • 2,075 Posts
    • 985 Thanks
    Nath4n
    Mental, the cost of a single from University to home is a very overpriced 31 - just punched it into this and it found me a split total of 16! That's even cheaper than the cheapest advance fare they do for the entire journey!

An 'on the day' open return is also slightly cheaper using the split (28 v 33).

Great app thanks, looking forward to the possible inclusion of returns and maybe in the far future - advance fares.
    • jamesd
    • By jamesd 10th May 12, 6:48 PM
    • 23,514 Posts
    • 15,841 Thanks
    jamesd
    Beating TicketySplit. Maybe.

Swindon to Manchester Picc via Crewe quoted: 192 split: 61 Saving: 131

Possibly beaten by the same day off peak web only day single from thetrainline that costs 54.60, travel via London. Buy this from your web-enabled phone. Checking times in the evening produced the result that it's not available for this journey, can't tell if it was due to the time I was checking.

Anytime single fare costs 75, travel via London not allowed, can be purchased on the same day, plenty of availability. Discount cards usable with this ticket. Off peak single with no discount is 108.20. Anytime Single via London costs 191.50.

Tamworth to Weymouth Gloucester 89 56 33

Possibly beaten by Off-Peak Day Single (web only) at 46.20 via London, can be purchased on day of travel. Checking times in the evening produced the result that it's not available for this journey, can't tell if it was due to the time I was checking.

Anytime single costs 88.50 (not via London), off peak via London 91.40 adn Anytime single 141.

Bournville to Penryn (Cornwall) Cheltenham Spa 135 73 6

Best still available today 135 but that may be because I'm searching at 6:40PM. The split fare is available though can't be completed today because of the train times.

London Paddington to Westbury (Wilts) Theale 84 27 57

Best still available 29.60 for a super off-peak single.

Glasgow Central to Sheffield Chorley 104 60 44

Best still available 104.30 off-peak single.

I stopped there because it's not worth continuing at this time of day, too few trains left.
    • dzug1
    • By dzug1 10th May 12, 7:52 PM
    • 13,359 Posts
    • 6,125 Thanks
    dzug1
    You shouldn't be able to buy an off peak web only day single on its own - only if you buy a similar (or advance) single for the return journey.

Does thetrainline ignore this restriction?
    • jamesd
    • By jamesd 10th May 12, 8:07 PM
    • 23,514 Posts
    • 15,841 Thanks
    jamesd
    It lists it as a possible ticket option but then says not available for the journey when you try to check availability. Thanks for explaining what was happening and that it wasn't just the time at which I was checking.

That means that TicketySplit will probably include those as an option once it can handle return journeys. Until then it looks like a case to be aware of. No surprise that an app described as incomplete is incomplete.
    • Mrs Arcanum
    • By Mrs Arcanum 11th May 12, 10:22 AM
    • 20,531 Posts
    • 44,074 Thanks
    Mrs Arcanum
    Would be handy for us on line irregular train users to know what stations a particular train stops at to work out our own split tickets. Single from Oxford to Leicester I have split into 3 and saved 10 (Now totals 40 at peak time rather than 50). I am sure I could save more if I knew where the Birmingham to Leicester train stopped.
    Truth always poses doubts & questions. Only lies are 100% believable, because they don't need to justify reality. - Carlos Ruiz Zafon, The Labyrinth of the Spirits
    • JezR
    • By JezR 11th May 12, 1:12 PM
    • 1,599 Posts
    • 1,152 Thanks
    JezR
    Only having one split is a significant weakness in this but I guess it has to start from small steps. For example from Didcot to Sheffield the cheapest fare is to split at Banbury, Birmingham, and Derby.
    • dggar
    • By dggar 11th May 12, 1:45 PM
    • 593 Posts
    • 285 Thanks
    dggar
    Would be handy for us on line irregular train users to know what stations a particular train stops at to work out our own split tickets. Single from Oxford to Leicester I have split into 3 and saved 10 (Now totals 40 at peak time rather than 50). I am sure I could save more if I knew where the Birmingham to Leicester train stopped.
    Originally posted by Mrs Arcanum
    The National Rail journey planner will allow you to find out the calling points for any journey shown. Click on the i (information)
    icon.
    • dzug1
    • By dzug1 11th May 12, 3:16 PM
    • 13,359 Posts
    • 6,125 Thanks
    dzug1
    The National Rail journey planner will allow you to find out the calling points for any journey shown. Click on the i (information)
    icon.
    Originally posted by dggar
    And many of the train companies have .pdf timetables on their websites so you can see it for a selection of trains all at once.
  • fandroid
    The MSE guide to splitting tickets misses out the ways that a Network Railcard can be used to reduce overall fares for a journey that passes outside the Railcard's area of validity. Book one leg with the discount, and then book the other leg without. For instance, Banbury is in the Railcard zone, so by splitting there, a cheaper overall journey results. Similarly, the same trick works by splitting at Northampton, Bedford, Exeter (via Basingstoke) and even Worcester!
  • fandroid
    I left Colchester off my list of Network Railcard valid stations (for the Ipswich & Norwich route). The same tricks apply for all of these routes if you are a SE Annual Season Ticket holder and have a Gold Card. If in doubt about where it can be done, the Network Railcard leaflet has a map showing the area of validity (it's usually in the racks in just about any SE station)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

262Posts Today

1,950Users online

Martin's Twitter