Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Helen
    • By Former MSE Helen 8th May 12, 3:49 PM
    • 2,324Posts
    • 971Thanks
    Former MSE Helen
    MSE News: Consumers warned over energy hikes
    • 8th May 12, 3:49 PM
    MSE News: Consumers warned over energy hikes 8th May 12 at 3:49 PM
    This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"Households have been urged to snap up a cheap energy deal while they can ..."

Page 1
    • ANGLICANPAT
    • By ANGLICANPAT 8th May 12, 7:06 PM
    • 1,177 Posts
    • 396 Thanks
    ANGLICANPAT
    • 8th May 12, 7:06 PM
    • 8th May 12, 7:06 PM
    Well, Ive hung back from taking up SP's fixed rate 13 in the hope that the Which price will be competitive. Cant imagine it will be now as it only has to compete with the new raised prices I guess. Wonder if all the big companies will now anounce rises before Which has a chance to reveal its offer.
    • Butterfly Brain
    • By Butterfly Brain 8th May 12, 8:18 PM
    • 8,736 Posts
    • 61,001 Thanks
    Butterfly Brain
    • 8th May 12, 8:18 PM
    • 8th May 12, 8:18 PM
    They have us over a barrel, they have not put the bills down in the last year even though the price has fallen a lot. Why do you think that we don't have storage capacity so that they can buy more gas when it is cheaper? Oh yes it is because they would have to invest some of their shareholders money to build them and it wouldn't be in their interest anyway, because they wouldn't have an excuse to milk us more for their fat cat bosses and shareholders.....thieves the lot of them.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • Dave_C
    • 8th May 12, 8:28 PM
    • 8th May 12, 8:28 PM
    But shirley as consumers we have a whole government department to protect us from these ripoff merchants, sorry big six energy companies increasing prices. Ofgem, the seventh energy company.

Dave
    • dori2o
    • By dori2o 8th May 12, 9:11 PM
    • 7,811 Posts
    • 13,103 Thanks
    dori2o
    • 8th May 12, 9:11 PM
    • 8th May 12, 9:11 PM
    Until people stop paying their bills and force these companies to bring their charges down to a reasonable level, they'll always have the upper hand.

People power forced the banks to back down over their charging regeims and their PPI mis-selling, it needs a similar type of action to show these companies they are taking the p***.

Unfortunately not enough people are willing to stand together and fight and so the fat cats keep getting fatter.

If ever there was a case for re-nationalisation, then the energy sector is the prime example.
  • Terrylw1
    • 8th May 12, 10:29 PM
    • 8th May 12, 10:29 PM
    Problem: Ah, heading into the summer months are we, people using less heating?

Solution: Price rise, weh heh!
    It's better to live 1 year as a tiger than a lifetime as a worm...but then, whoever heard of a wormskin rug!!!
    • I luv cats
    • By I luv cats 8th May 12, 10:37 PM
    • 14,065 Posts
    • 72,008 Thanks
    I luv cats
    • 8th May 12, 10:37 PM
    • 8th May 12, 10:37 PM
    http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bills/article-2141174/Fuel-bills-rocket-winter-Japanese-tsunami-pushes-wholesale-gas-price-28.html

They say a 28% increase in wholesale ??

We are sitting flaming ducks!!!!
    • Fred Bear
    • By Fred Bear 8th May 12, 11:17 PM
    • 393 Posts
    • 192 Thanks
    Fred Bear
    • 8th May 12, 11:17 PM
    • 8th May 12, 11:17 PM
    One way to fight back is to use less.

By buying energy-efficient appliances and using them as efficiently as possible we have cut our electricity bill (not including the standing charge) from 383 (6500kWh @ 5.615p) in 2004 (equivalent to 479 after inflation) to 220 (2224kWh @ 9.43p) in 2011.
  • Terrylw1
    • 8th May 12, 11:33 PM
    • 8th May 12, 11:33 PM
    They always blame it on wholesale but its also the operating costs. After all, someone spending 200m+ on new billing systems is going to be shoving that on your bills for the next X years...
    It's better to live 1 year as a tiger than a lifetime as a worm...but then, whoever heard of a wormskin rug!!!
    • Butterfly Brain
    • By Butterfly Brain 9th May 12, 11:21 AM
    • 8,736 Posts
    • 61,001 Thanks
    Butterfly Brain
    So 28% wholesale will probably equate to 40%-50% to the consumer, after all they have to make a profit don't they.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
    • MillicentBystander
    • By MillicentBystander 9th May 12, 11:24 AM
    • 3,450 Posts
    • 2,225 Thanks
    MillicentBystander
    One way to fight back is to use less.

By buying energy-efficient appliances and using them as efficiently as possible we have cut our electricity bill (not including the standing charge) from 383 (6500kWh @ 5.615p) in 2004 (equivalent to 479 after inflation) to 220 (2224kWh @ 9.43p) in 2011.
    Originally posted by Fred Bear

I get what you are saying, I really do. But at what cost has this saving come? Obviously if the appliance no longer worked then it's a no brainer but have you replaced working (inefficient) appliances for new (efficient) appliances?
    • Fred Bear
    • By Fred Bear 9th May 12, 12:55 PM
    • 393 Posts
    • 192 Thanks
    Fred Bear
    I get what you are saying, I really do. But at what cost has this saving come? Obviously if the appliance no longer worked then it's a no brainer but have you replaced working (inefficient) appliances for new (efficient) appliances?
    Originally posted by MillicentBystander
    Thanks Millicent, this is a very good question. Over these past 7 years I have replaced appliances for 3 different reasons:

1. Because they are broken and not worth repairing: Washing machine, dishwasher.
    2. Working ok but using a lot of energy:
    10 year old Whirlpool freezer using 675kWh/annum replaced by same sized Hotpoint using 288kWh. (Old freezer donated to second hand shop.)
    Central heating pump. (Old pump given to friend.)
    40watt fluorescent tube (actually using 85watts!) replaced by two CFLs.
    3. All the other items are upgrades: eg: Old second hand TV replaced by modern digital LED TV. Computers and monitors updated.

When choosing replacements I always look for the most efficient models and these are normally good in other ways too.
    • MillicentBystander
    • By MillicentBystander 9th May 12, 1:52 PM
    • 3,450 Posts
    • 2,225 Thanks
    MillicentBystander
    But that's what I am (sort of) getting at. If you simply replace a perfectly working item for a more efficient one you really need to factor in how long the saving on fuel will take to pay back your outlay. Even though the freezer would appear to be 'saving' you 40/year on your leccy bill, how much did it cost you to buy, given that your existing one was working? for instance, if it was, say, 400, you could say it will be 10 years before it's actually saved you any money at all!*

*Obviously complicated by any increases in costs of fuel over that period plus the investment interest lost on the 400 that you spend.
    • Fred Bear
    • By Fred Bear 9th May 12, 2:49 PM
    • 393 Posts
    • 192 Thanks
    Fred Bear
    I understand the point you are making. In 7 years I have only replaced three items just to save energy. In the case of the freezer, it cost 314 in 2008. On today's prices it saves 52 per year and I am losing 9 in interest (assuming 3%). So that gives a saving of 43 per year and a 'payback' of less than 7 years - maybe sooner if energy prices continue to rise (that's what I assumed in 2008). Whether that is a good investment or not is a matter of opinion. Most of the other items I replaced for other reasons.
    Last edited by Fred Bear; 09-05-2012 at 3:17 PM. Reason: Correction
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

117Posts Today

1,399Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Mini MSE is on half term next week, so I'm excited to be taking the week off to be daddy. As normal I'm signing of? https://t.co/G3366shWh1

• I once blurted out on @gmb "Theresa May hasn't been given a poisoned chalice - she's been given a poisoned chalice? https://t.co/onfRbY3XVg

• It'd be fascinating to know how history will judge Theresa May's premiership. Currently, it is hard to see it as a? https://t.co/eH77G0O9LA

• Follow Martin