Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Helen
    • By Former MSE Helen 30th Apr 12, 11:34 AM
    • 2,324Posts
    • 971Thanks
    Former MSE Helen
    'Are you a 'real person'?' blog discussion
    • 30th Apr 12, 11:34 AM
    'Are you a 'real person'?' blog discussion 30th Apr 12 at 11:34 AM
    This is the discussion to link on the back of Martin's blog. Please read the blog first, as this discussion follows it.

Read Martin's "Are you a 'real person'?" Blog.

Please click 'post reply' to discuss below.
    Last edited by Former MSE Helen; 30-04-2012 at 11:40 AM.
Page 1
    • torbrex
    • By torbrex 30th Apr 12, 12:36 PM
    • 61,883 Posts
    • 124,626 Thanks
    torbrex
    • 30th Apr 12, 12:36 PM
    • 30th Apr 12, 12:36 PM
    There are no real people, I prescribe to the Douglas Adams theory of the population of the universe.

It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Therefore, there must be a finite number of inhabited worlds. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near to nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely the products of a deranged imagination.
  • Memory Girl
    • 30th Apr 12, 1:09 PM
    • 30th Apr 12, 1:09 PM
    Yup - that's me, a figment of someone's "deranged imagination"

I find the phrase "Real People" thrown around by people almost as an excuse these days.

(Take a deep breath)

"Its all right for him, he has X, Y or Z" - what about "real people" - with "real people" being people just like me, but not like me because I am really a special case and because your case is different to mine and I am not getting the attention I feel I deserve it must be all your fault because it can't possibly be mine - you are not making it about "real people" therefore I have an excuse not to do this as its not really about me is it .....................???"

Reality is please, please grow up and take a little personal responsibility.

MG

Oops one too many teenage students this morning and perhaps one too many espresso too LOL
    FINALLY AND OFFICIALLY DEBT FREE

Small Emergency Fund £500 / £500
    Pay off all Debts £10,000 / £10,000
    Grown Up Emergency Fund £6000 / £6000
    Pension Provision £6688/£2376
    • danothy
    • By danothy 30th Apr 12, 2:15 PM
    • 2,056 Posts
    • 2,690 Thanks
    danothy
    • 30th Apr 12, 2:15 PM
    • 30th Apr 12, 2:15 PM
    I would guess that people who aren't real are the hypothetical people drawn up to fit a particular financial scenario that is being explained ... line that up with someone who believes that their experience or situation is representative of the population as a whole and you apparently get the kind of comments highlighted in the blog entry.
    If you think of it as 'us' verses 'them', then it's probably your side that are the villains.
    • luxor4t
    • By luxor4t 30th Apr 12, 4:21 PM
    • 10,475 Posts
    • 38,109 Thanks
    luxor4t
    • 30th Apr 12, 4:21 PM
    • 30th Apr 12, 4:21 PM
    ......someone who believes that their experience or situation is representative of the population as a whole .......
    Originally posted by danothy
    "I think, therefore I am but you aren't"
    I can cook and sew, make flowers grow.
    • Mandelbrot
    • By Mandelbrot 30th Apr 12, 5:27 PM
    • 8,633 Posts
    • 18,640 Thanks
    Mandelbrot
    • 30th Apr 12, 5:27 PM
    • 30th Apr 12, 5:27 PM
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSVs7njeko0
  • Derivative
    • 30th Apr 12, 8:56 PM
    • 30th Apr 12, 8:56 PM
    This is what I associate with the term "Real People".

On a serious note - I dislike the term.

If you want to talk about poor people, say 'poor people'. If you want to talk about the rich, say 'the rich'. "Real people" is derogatory to those who, by luck or by hard work, find themselves in a decent position.

The current usage of "real" ranks up there with "that's racist" and "PC gone mad" as tools used to stifle and confuse debate.
    Last edited by Derivative; 30-04-2012 at 9:29 PM.
    Said Aristippus, “If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.”
    Said Diogenes, “Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.”
    • waqasahmed
    • By waqasahmed 30th Apr 12, 10:13 PM
    • 1,037 Posts
    • 284 Thanks
    waqasahmed
    • 30th Apr 12, 10:13 PM
    • 30th Apr 12, 10:13 PM
    I dunno about you, but I'm not real. Every one on these forums are actually bots
    • Eco Miser
    • By Eco Miser 1st May 12, 12:25 AM
    • 3,444 Posts
    • 3,239 Thanks
    Eco Miser
    • 1st May 12, 12:25 AM
    • 1st May 12, 12:25 AM
    A real person is an imaginary person rotated ninety degrees clockwise in the complex plane.
    Eco Miser
    Saving money for well over half a century
    • oldvicar
    • By oldvicar 1st May 12, 5:59 AM
    • 1,068 Posts
    • 944 Thanks
    oldvicar
    I think it’s slightly sad that people don’t think those who aren’t in the same boat as them are deserving of information or help
    by Martin's Blog
    One of the finest blogs in a while, Martin.

It's not just a sense of entitlement that some people have developed, its a sense that they are more deserving than anybody else.

The 'compensation culture' where somebody/everybody else must owe me for something which went wrong in my life is partly to blame of course.
    • ashleyriot
    • By ashleyriot 1st May 12, 6:05 AM
    • 89 Posts
    • 122 Thanks
    ashleyriot
    Lol, the magazine, "Real People" above:

"My mate boiled my willy."
  • Derivative
    Lol, the magazine, "Real People" above:

"My mate boiled my willy."
    Originally posted by ashleyriot
    Another one, just for you.

I coughed up my cancer!
    Said Aristippus, “If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.”
    Said Diogenes, “Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.”
    • Lotus-eater
    • By Lotus-eater 1st May 12, 6:51 PM
    • 10,426 Posts
    • 23,111 Thanks
    Lotus-eater
    Well OK, everyone wants to have a laugh, but more seriously, it's probably because like most things, the media focuses on the more extreme of examples. As it makes good headlines/bloglines etc.
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.
    • sariebeth
    • By sariebeth 1st May 12, 7:56 PM
    • 238 Posts
    • 1,094 Thanks
    sariebeth
    Using the term 'real people' just enables someone somewhere to disagree with what ever stance you take or whatever you are talking about.

Am I a real person?... erm I'm quite happy being just me!

Another overused term that really, really winds me up... "I know my rights" (usually used in reference to something that it is not their right to have/do)

Oh and my personal favourite... "i know what I'm entitled to". (used in reference to something that they are not entitled to like that flat screen TV that they spent the housing benefit on)
    Last edited by sariebeth; 01-05-2012 at 7:59 PM.
    Deposit £5880/£10,000
    £10 a day challenge - May £75.86/£465
    Sparkle Challenge - Loose 1 stone 0/14lbs
    • waqasahmed
    • By waqasahmed 1st May 12, 11:29 PM
    • 1,037 Posts
    • 284 Thanks
    waqasahmed
    Another one, just for you.

I coughed up my cancer!
    Originally posted by Derivative
    So this is what real people do? *Gets out notepad*

Melt people's faces
    Have two kids in ten months
    Become a page three girl as a middle aged guy
    Trap yourself under a lift
    and cough up your cancer

Considering I've never done any thing that extreme, it's fair to say that I'm not a real person then
    • PaulJM
    • By PaulJM 2nd May 12, 9:50 AM
    • 525 Posts
    • 356 Thanks
    PaulJM
    There are an awful lot of people out there who think helping others consists of being rude, to somehow jolt them out of their situation.
    It ends up reading like they are showing off how together and under control they are themselves. These people are openly idealists, but usually do not apply the same rules to themselves.

You can earn a lot of money and be in debt. You can have a great job and be in debt. You can work really, really hard and be in debt - in fact I've found personally that I spend more money on more stupid things, the more I work - gives me a feeling of a release.
    When people send out a cry for help, they need to be nurtured and informed of their options nicely - they need empathy more than anything.

That's what Martin can show, and many on MSE forums do. There are a hardcore that don't though - "I'll tell it like it is - that'll shake em out of it" No it won't, and it doesn't. Think twice if you're planning of employing that tactic.
    • wozearly
    • By wozearly 2nd May 12, 8:06 PM
    • 202 Posts
    • 210 Thanks
    wozearly
    I feel a lot of those types of grumbles are being driven by;

1) This issue affects people who have more money / a better situation / fewer other problems than me. Why are you helping them? People like me need help more

2) That's got to be a rare case, and even if the time you spent made a huge personal difference to a small number of people (or even one person), I think you should be spending your time focusing on issues that affect larger numbers of people

3) This issue doesn't affect me. I'm a normal person with real problems (I must be, I'm "me"), so that problem can't be affecting lots of people (because I'm normal, lots of people must be like me). I want you to focus on my problems instead.

...or the even less empathetic and judgemental version of number 3;

4) This issue doesn't affect me. I wouldn't have been stupid enough to allow myself to get into that situation and I don't think anyone who did is as deserving of your help as people who do all the right things, but still face big problems (like me, for example)
  • blossomhill
    Try being skinnier than the national average - there are fashions out there for "real women" - what does that make the thin ones?
    You never know how far-reaching something good, that you may do or say today, may affect the lives of others tomorrow
    • N1AK
    • By N1AK 8th May 12, 8:01 AM
    • 2,851 Posts
    • 3,795 Thanks
    N1AK
    Real person seems to be interchangeable with:
    1/ People who are like me
    2/ People with who I can relate
    Generally showing an amazing willingness to trivialise the views of others.
    • inflationiscoming
    • By inflationiscoming 8th May 12, 9:05 PM
    • 62 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    inflationiscoming
    you are helping real people. It is clear that banks, marketing companies, energy companies etc. exploit the behavioural characteristics of "real people" and have been doing so for years. These traits have been demonstrated over the years through psychological studies. Financial advice and education should be for everyone, even those who make mistakes or get into debt. It is an unfortunate world with no second chances... keep up the good work
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,254Posts Today

6,875Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the weekend, it's the weekend, yay. It's that moment, when as usual, to sign off for family time. So I bid y? https://t.co/2RYRnz3fEe

• Actually the BBC was set up to "educate, entertain and inform" so I think it is one of its responsibilities and cle? https://t.co/HMP4Q2Uptu

• Today's FRI twitter poll: Puritanical new laws by Tories/Labour/EU/Trump/Putin (pick ur own scapegoat) dictate mode? https://t.co/3LW55tFGJ9

• Follow Martin