Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Helen
    • By Former MSE Helen 30th Apr 12, 8:04 AM
    • 2,324Posts
    • 971Thanks
    Former MSE Helen
    0 WOW
    MSE News: AA and Sky top firms to haggle with
    • 30th Apr 12, 8:04 AM
    0 WOW
    MSE News: AA and Sky top firms to haggle with 30th Apr 12 at 8:04 AM
    This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"Communications and breakdown providers are among the best at giving in to your demands, our poll reveals "

Page 1
    • Jimmyc
    • By Jimmyc 30th Apr 12, 11:18 PM
    • 149 Posts
    • 37 Thanks
    Jimmyc
    • 30th Apr 12, 11:18 PM
    • 30th Apr 12, 11:18 PM
    I'll phone sky once a year to "cancel" and usually get 6 months half price or better. If you only have sky sports for the football phone up sky and remove it over the summer, saves a few quid each month

Tried to haggle with AA but realise if you look on quidco or topcashbacl you can get a much better deal with AA or RAC! Just make sure you don't set your policy to auto renew Each year.
    • Blackjack Davy
    • By Blackjack Davy 1st May 12, 12:00 PM
    • 509 Posts
    • 272 Thanks
    Blackjack Davy
    • 1st May 12, 12:00 PM
    • 1st May 12, 12:00 PM
    I found the same experiance, I switched from BT line rental to Sky line rental after having Sky broadband and calls package for years and after haggling they threw it in free for 6 months and a reduced price for the remaining 12!

The AA was also an eye opener they quoted me 59 iirc for renewing my basic cover (I've been with with for years) but I noticed that if you're a new customer signing up for the first time it was only 29! So I phoned them saying I wanted to cancel and guess what, they said I have it for 29! I didn't even need to argue she just offered it to me there and then, no quibbles no hassle. I was quite surprised to get it so easily honestly.
    Blessed are the geeks, for they shall inherit the Internet.
  • robroy58
    • 2nd May 12, 1:49 PM
    AA buildings and contents renewal
    • 2nd May 12, 1:49 PM
    We got our renewal quote from AA of around 340 for the year - I did an AA online quote and got one of 230 - so I phoned them and asked if they could match it or I might go elsewhere. They did, so they now have two v happy customers for another year!
    • mark_beckwith
    • By mark_beckwith 2nd May 12, 3:01 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    mark_beckwith
    • 2nd May 12, 3:01 PM
    Sky Talk
    • 2nd May 12, 3:01 PM
    Had previously prepaid for 12mths line rental with Sky Talk when I moved just over a year ago. Called the other week, citing a Plusnet deal I had seen on MSE, and they blew it out of the water! 9 mths free line rental, 9mths broadband @ 2/mth, then both at full price for 3 mths (19.75), so 77.25 all in for a year's line rental and BB. Bargain!
  • Liongolfer
    • 3rd May 12, 2:10 PM
    • 3rd May 12, 2:10 PM
    Obviously telling Sky I was thinking of leaving there phone and broadband services was too strong as they just said well get new supplier to contact us, no attempt to keep custom what so ever and I pay for my broadband as I upgraded to unlimited.
  • pontoef
    • 23rd May 12, 1:24 PM
    SKY engineer successful haggle
    • 23rd May 12, 1:24 PM
    Having listened to Martin telling the nation to haggle with SKY I was almost pleased when I had to call them for help the other day. I am just over my years contract with them and the signal went dead. No one knows why. I called for assistance and was told after trying a number of things that I would need an engineer to come out with a cost of 65. Well, we are planning on moving in 4 months so I decided to 'cancel' instead as 65 was more than I was willing to spend for 4 mths. Well, he put me through to 'cancellations' and I said I was cancelling because I was going to move and cancel anyway so 4 months less sky was not big deal (a set top box would cost so little if I really need the telly). Anyway, she asked if I would be willing to contribute 10 to getting it fixed. Well, much better price than 65 so I have agreed. I am amazed. I wasnt arsey or rude to the first chap because Martin had said that they often have no power at all and that the 'customer retention' folk have much more room to negotiate so I just aimed for the right people in the first place. Thank you Martin. When I move I look forward to getting the best possible discount from Sky by playing the lot off on each other.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

233Posts Today

3,526Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Mini MSE is on half term next week, so I'm excited to be taking the week off to be daddy. As normal I'm signing of? https://t.co/G3366shWh1

• I once blurted out on @gmb "Theresa May hasn't been given a poisoned chalice - she's been given a poisoned chalice? https://t.co/onfRbY3XVg

• It'd be fascinating to know how history will judge Theresa May's premiership. Currently, it is hard to see it as a? https://t.co/eH77G0O9LA

• Follow Martin