Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • SonOfPearl
    • By SonOfPearl 24th May 07, 3:16 PM
    • 88 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    SonOfPearl
    • 24th May 07, 3:16 PM
    • 24th May 07, 3:16 PM
    They're just like squabbling kids!

Na-na, na-na-na...

The funniest thing is that no-one else even cares.
    • olly300
    • By olly300 25th May 07, 9:33 PM
    • 14,312 Posts
    • 13,632 Thanks
    olly300
    • 25th May 07, 9:33 PM
    • 25th May 07, 9:33 PM
    RBS was the first Bank, Nationwide the first BSoc. Is that right?
    Originally posted by Al Mac
    Ah but Nationwide will argue that they provide bank accounts..... so they are the first company to provide online banking.
    • irishwench69
    • By irishwench69 1st Jun 07, 10:47 AM
    • 794 Posts
    • 5,634 Thanks
    irishwench69
    • 1st Jun 07, 10:47 AM
    • 1st Jun 07, 10:47 AM
    Hmmmm, I do love the Nationwide and their online banking is good - but *how* petty?!

For the sake of four days or so....... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

IW x
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 222
    Debt free wannabe - Proud to be dealing with my debts!

Remember the MoneySaving mantras!

IF YOU'RE SKINT......
    Do I need it? Can I afford it? Can I find it cheaper anywhere else?

IF YOU'RE NOT SKINT......
    Will I use it? Is it worth it? Can I find it cheaper anywhere else?
    • peterbaker
    • By peterbaker 4th Jun 07, 1:03 PM
    • 2,436 Posts
    • 1,088 Thanks
    peterbaker
    • 4th Jun 07, 1:03 PM
    • 4th Jun 07, 1:03 PM
    I thought Bank Of Scotland were first by a long way actually with something I recall might have been called HOBS ("Home Online Banking Service"?), but that was perhaps not quite broad enough to be called "internet-banking" as it was just a dial-up direct to the bank I think.
  • squidworth
    • 12th Jun 07, 12:30 PM
    • 12th Jun 07, 12:30 PM
    Great to read this thread, in my pre-divorce days (now i work at home to be with me kids) I was the main internet team consultant on this project and nationwide was the first bank to do any real internet banking, we were almost the first high street isp as well but tesco nipped us to the post by launching about a week before. These days it may not seem much but at that time the net was pretty much unchartered teritory for big business and we had to break a lot of new ground quickly and with a BIG emphasis on security and safety, especially being the first online bank in the UK. It was all a great success, with a great team and a lot of hard graft it all went well and the rest is history... me? I'm just pottering around on smaller web projects now and, although skint (ala uk divorce, she gets the money and i get the kids), am much happier!

So yes, maybe its not a big thing globally but if it had gone wrong even slighty it could have brought online banking, and shopping for that matter, into disrepute and who knows where we'd be now...

cheers!

ps normal disclaimers apply, this is not an official posting or anything just my random views as a member of the public
    Last edited by squidworth; 12-06-2007 at 12:38 PM. Reason: disclaimer added
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

952Posts Today

6,556Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the weekend, it's the weekend, yay. It's that moment, when as usual, to sign off for family time. So I bid y? https://t.co/2RYRnz3fEe

• Actually the BBC was set up to "educate, entertain and inform" so I think it is one of its responsibilities and cle? https://t.co/HMP4Q2Uptu

• Today's FRI twitter poll: Puritanical new laws by Tories/Labour/EU/Trump/Putin (pick ur own scapegoat) dictate mode? https://t.co/3LW55tFGJ9

• Follow Martin