Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Helen
    • By Former MSE Helen 23rd Apr 12, 3:23 PM
    • 2,324Posts
    • 971Thanks
    Former MSE Helen
    MSE News: Post Office to raise home phone prices
    • 23rd Apr 12, 3:23 PM
    MSE News: Post Office to raise home phone prices 23rd Apr 12 at 3:23 PM
    This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"Home phone customers face a line rental hike, though the Post Office is cutting the cost of calls to mobiles"

Last edited by Former MSE Helen; 23-04-2012 at 3:54 PM.
Page 1
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 24th Apr 12, 8:51 AM
    • 38,870 Posts
    • 22,832 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 24th Apr 12, 8:51 AM
    • 24th Apr 12, 8:51 AM

Can I switch from the Post Office without penalty?
    • Phone-only. The answer's yes. This is because standard line
      rental comes with no minimum contract. You just have to give 30 days'
      notice.
    This is not quite the true picture.

If you had a new line installed by them, and you wish to leave within 6 months, then they do charge a 15 "penalty".

And you don't need to give a month's notice! (No notice is needed if you transfer to another provider, and if you want to completely cancel your phone (ie have it disconnected), then they just need 15 days notice.
    • guesswho2000
    • By guesswho2000 24th Apr 12, 4:51 PM
    • 1,623 Posts
    • 766 Thanks
    guesswho2000
    • 24th Apr 12, 4:51 PM
    • 24th Apr 12, 4:51 PM
    This is annoying, as I've just switched to them (1 month ago). My question is, as line rental is paid in advance, do they apply this retrospectively, or when they take the next quarter's payment?

Sky did exactly the same thing when I switched to them from BT three years ago, 1 month after the switch their prices rose by 1 per month!
    • m5rcc
    • By m5rcc 25th Apr 12, 10:15 PM
    • 1,530 Posts
    • 500 Thanks
    m5rcc
    • 25th Apr 12, 10:15 PM
    • 25th Apr 12, 10:15 PM
    The real question is there anyone else out there offering POHPs value?
  • Dorotheen
    • 25th Apr 12, 10:28 PM
    • 25th Apr 12, 10:28 PM
    I've been with PO Home Phone for three years, have had some unbelievable problems with no landline for 23 days because of a breakdown of communication between POHP and BT Openreach but I was eventually compensated for this. The good value for me comes with the free weekend landline calls abroad, free weekend UK mobile calls and free evening and weekend landline calls, and the other costs for broadband and line rental are in line with BT and other providers so I'm sticking with PO Home Phone.
  • Broderack
    • 26th Apr 12, 6:30 AM
    • 26th Apr 12, 6:30 AM
    This is annoying, as I've just switched to them (1 month ago). My question is, as line rental is paid in advance, do they apply this retrospectively, or when they take the next quarter's payment?

Sky did exactly the same thing when I switched to them from BT three years ago, 1 month after the switch their prices rose by 1 per month!
    Originally posted by guesswho2000
    Deeply I agree with you.That's too annoying.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 30th Apr 12, 9:06 AM
    • 38,870 Posts
    • 22,832 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 30th Apr 12, 9:06 AM
    • 30th Apr 12, 9:06 AM
    This is annoying, as I've just switched to them (1 month ago). My question is, as line rental is paid in advance, do they apply this retrospectively, or when they take the next quarter's payment?....
    Originally posted by guesswho2000
    Expect them to add it retrospectively to the following quarter's bill (pro rata from the date of the increase)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

721Posts Today

5,441Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Mini MSE is on half term next week, so I'm excited to be taking the week off to be daddy. As normal I'm signing of? https://t.co/G3366shWh1

• I once blurted out on @gmb "Theresa May hasn't been given a poisoned chalice - she's been given a poisoned chalice? https://t.co/onfRbY3XVg

• It'd be fascinating to know how history will judge Theresa May's premiership. Currently, it is hard to see it as a? https://t.co/eH77G0O9LA

• Follow Martin