Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 4th Jun 11, 11:19 AM
    • 9,343Posts
    • 17,889Thanks
    zippychick
    • 4th Jun 11, 11:19 AM
    4th Jun 11 at 11:19 AM
    Hi everyone,

Welcome to the fourth Grocery Challenge of 2012

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your March budget, then keep on posting in the:
    March 2012 Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be £1 a week or £20 a week.

If you are currently spending £200 a month don't suddenly drop it to £100 - you'll never do it but if you cut £20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is £80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on £80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    By request, here is Spiggles wonderful helpful post

We all have different budgets that suit our households. The most important thing to remember is that you set yours according to your needs and finances. It can take time to get to where you want to be too so don't knock yourself out if you go over in the first few months. We are here to support each other and it is not a competition.

I thought it might help to outline where we've come from and the top tips I've learned.

When we started in March 2010 we had spent in excess of £600 in the previous month. This had to stop, (there's only me and him and our two beautiful black cats) something which thankfully my OH completely agreed with so I have been lucky that he has been on board from the start. He gave me his debit card voluntarily and I still keep hold of it until he needs to get something for the home. At the same time we set up a system of pocket money (pm) at £15 each per week which doesn't count towards the GC and which we can each spend as we wish with no comebacks or complaints. OH predominantly uses his pm on his beer and I ferret mine away mostly.

The next step was to set up my own spreadsheet which is absolutely simple onto which I put all spends so that I have a continuous running total for the month and for the year. We initially set our budget at £280 per month and brought it down to £240 where it resides for most of the year it is occasionally increased to allow for extras e.g. Christmas to £260.

The important 'tools' we found greatly helped and continue to do so now are:

Stocktake cupboards, fridge, freezer - make lists and ensure that the older products get used up first. You'll be amazed at what you find squirrelled away and it will help with your shopping list as you'll realise that you don't actually need so much.

Before you go shopping check staples - running out of milk, bread, butter, etc often leads to going into a shop for one thing and coming out £20 lighter. Always check these and if they'll run out tomorrow buy them the same time as getting other things.

Always make a shopping list and stick to it - the supermarkets (sm) try every which way to get us to spend so having a list and strong resolve is the only way to beat them.

Keep every receipt - and then note it down on your spreadsheet/spend diary so that you always know where you are.

When tempted, ask yourself do you NEED it or just WANT it - now this advice goes with two things. Firstly, the things you see in store when shopping that APPEAR to be bargains - if you hadn't planned spending the money then its not a bargain. Secondly, the sm send us loads of vouchers for £X off a spend of £XX - if you had no NEED to spend £XX then have you SAVED anything???

Use my supermarket to compare prices (limited to four of the biggies) - The site may be used to actually do an online shop at whichever of the big four offers the best value or, if you have the time and sm availability, to make up lists for visiting each of the stores so that you can purchase all you need at different stores thus getting the best possible value. (I'd add, do a 'shop' virtually on this site and take the list you create on it with you, whichever one you shop at, it will help keep target prices in your head and allow you to spot bargains. MrM is not included but you can do a virtual list on their website so you know what you're going to be spending.)

Always have a list - this is just as important when shopping online as shopping on foot.

Use Approved Foods online (with a list!) - if you don't mind out of date things (ood) or you can search for only in date items. The only drawback is storing the goods as far as I can tell. Oh, and watch the delivery as it's done on a scaled charge for weight so keep an eye on it. You can of course do an AF order with friends, family, colleagues or like minded neighbours. Other GCers use Big Br*nds 4 Less too.

Invest in a breadmaker - we have saved so much by making our own bread. The prices in the shops are extortionate for bread these days. There's loads of advice on this thread and others in the forum on this.

Use the recipe lists - always posted at the front of a new thread. There are fantastic, tasty, healthy and economical recipes to use on them and there are a number of other threads on the forum such as Weezl's that will help you to eat well on a budget.

Shop locally - the local greengrocer (or preferably market but I don't have one ) is usually cheaper as an option for fruit and veg (f&v) than the sm. Often the prices may look the same but when you look at the quantity for the same price the greengrocer will be cheaper. The same goes for the local butcher. Often you will have far more variety of meat available, advice on how to cook a particular meat can be offered and there is (for me at least) no comparison in terms of quality. We buy our huge FR eggs there and I'm yet to find an equivalent FR egg in a sm at the same or lower price. Obvioulsy if you have your own chicks/know someone who has chicks you can get them even cheaper again.

Grow your own - it's quite simple to grow some f&v at home even if it's only in pots on the patio. There are also supportive threads on the forum for this.

Cook your own - making meals at home from ingredients is far more economical, often tastes better than shop bought and is probably far better healthwise.

Meal Plan - this is something that others can advise on as we don't do it. I have a tremendous capacity for eating the same food over many days but presented in slightly different form. For example, we could buy £7 worth of brisket from the butchers and eat it as pot roast for a couple of days, sliced for sarnies, sliced with a salad, chucked into a casserole or shredded up and fried as crispy beef.

Don't waste food - either only make what you need or use any leftovers for other meals/creations or freeze it for another day.

Withdraw the cash you want to spend - and keep it in a separate purse. This can be particularly effective as you have the money in front of you reducing rather than spending with plastic which is so easy to lose track of. Very useful when you first start out.

Don't go to the shops to browse - this can only lead to pain and hardship!!!

Keep posting and reading the thread - there really is no better supportive, wise and inspirational place to be! I think I saw that somebody mentioned forgetting to read/post. I get around this by using the Advanced button to post, below the window where your text is displayed you will see Additional Options. In the Thread Subscription box use the dropdown to select either instant email notification (this is what I use) or daily email notification before you submit your latest post. Then you will get an email into your inbox from which you can click to the thread to see what others are saying.

Always remember the sm is not your friend - it wants to profit from you and take as much of your money as it can coerce out of you!

So, there you go as a starting point. Others on here will offer tremendous advice on meal planning. And don't forget, the only silly question is the one you didn't ask!

See you all later,
    Spigs
    For quidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #3, #4, #5 and #6 on this thread.

For everyones totals, see post #7 on this thread

I hope everyone has a great month!

Zip
    Last edited by zippychick; 25-03-2012 at 4:56 PM.
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

Page 49
    • Save Dosh
    • By Save Dosh 21st Apr 12, 3:40 PM
    • 1,314 Posts
    • 15,703 Thanks
    Save Dosh
    Jumblejack - thanks for the salmon tartlets recipe. I do not have salmon and am VERY close to my budget now, but will stock up on my new budget, loving the dinner piccies. My kind of meal that is.
    April GC - Food £37.40/£80 - Alcohol £14.50/£20
    Bulk Funds - Food £0
    - Alcohol £0
    Save 12k in 2019 £1,300/£5,000 - #155
  • jumblejack
    there is nothing wrong with a pyjama day, i am working from home today currently wearing my dressing gown. i too will get changed later but will not be allowed out for any bargains, i will take the my last batch of hm soup out of the freezer to defrost for tomorrow evening, will have to make some more possibly carrot and corriander as i know i have those ingredients in stock. (dressing gown will be put in the wash later with the rest of the whites)
    Originally posted by abitofhelp
    Hehe

Glad it's not just me

My carrot n coriander soup turned into carrot, coriander and roasted pepper soup as a quick look in the fridge uncovered a pack of 3 peppers:green, yellow and red!

Will serve up with buttered wholemeal toast when the gang come in.
    Now that's prepped, I can crack on with some catchup chores. Paperwork, here I come *groan*....
    Every moment is a gift. That's why we call it the present.!
    Grocery Spend Weekly Challenge (Sat-Fri):£30.50/£40
    • NickJW
    • By NickJW 21st Apr 12, 4:00 PM
    • 678 Posts
    • 13,646 Thanks
    NickJW
    Hi All

Nearly had a mini 'disaster' today. I was planning on having chorizo, parsley, parmesan and roasted pepper spaghetti dish using a jar of peppers given as part of a Xmas present. Was getting a bit peckish so thought I would open the jar and pinch one, but they weren't roasted - they were CHILLI peppers!

Had to get my thinking cap on and find an alternative dish to make without going to the supermarket, but still using the parsley I bought. Found a recipe and search through the freezer/cupboard and I'm now having lamb chops with squashed cannelini beans with lemon (instead of mash), served with broccoli. Just hope the lamb chops defrost on time because I only got them out of the freezer 2 hours ago...

Hopefully it's nice, but I often find new favourite meals when I'm pushed for things to use. It's a big pack of chops so if I am not a glutton I'll have some leftover for lunch on Monday (I'm going to my aunties for lunch tomorrow so NSD apart from the train fare).
    Grocery Challenge 14 Jan 14 £46.05/£130

Grocery Challenge 13 -spent £1453.06
    Grocery Challenge 12 -spent £1565.51

DFD 1st March 2011
    • fozziebeartoo
    • By fozziebeartoo 21st Apr 12, 4:10 PM
    • 1,564 Posts
    • 12,674 Thanks
    fozziebeartoo
    Still in my nightie here today too!!

But I will NOT be getting dressed again before bed because then I would want to go and look for YS/whoopsies
    • Florenceem
    • By Florenceem 21st Apr 12, 4:13 PM
    • 3,984 Posts
    • 52,562 Thanks
    Florenceem
    Hehe

Glad it's not just me

My carrot n coriander soup turned into carrot, coriander and roasted pepper soup as a quick look in the fridge uncovered a pack of 3 peppers:green, yellow and red!

Will serve up with buttered wholemeal toast when the gang come in.
    Now that's prepped, I can crack on with some catchup chores. Paperwork, here I come *groan*....
    Originally posted by jumblejack
    Love the colour but soup is something I don't eat. Never have - it must be the liquid texture - I don't like?
    15 in 2015 1/15
    • craigywv
    • By craigywv 21st Apr 12, 4:24 PM
    • 1,976 Posts
    • 27,825 Thanks
    craigywv
    Morning all, after my shopping trips yesterday morning i have to say i am very peeved about tesc0. they seem to have removed the value cooking bacon, i hope it is coming back rebranded as the everyday value twaddle they are now stocking. At only 74p a pack when i did my shopping list using the online site it was ideal for an old skinflint like me. I added 4 packs on the list. i checked the next day to add something else and it was out of stock. the packs weighed 500g and consisted of offcuts. we could make a breakfast (with other bits) some sandwhiches and bits out of the pack added to various meals. tesc0 still works out cheaper for me, however i have found one closer to us than our usual haunt, but with an ald1 and farmf00ds close to it. My regards to everyone.
    Originally posted by abitofhelp
    hi, just letting you know that i too have been using mr t cooking bacon in quiche etc but have foubd that past few weeks its been pure fat cut up into cubes not at all like the one we had before where you got a few rashers etc... I stopped buying it and went into li£dles the other day , they selling a massive 1 kg bag choice of smoked/unsmoked for 1.25 absolute bargain!!!! its a 100 times tastier than mr t one and hardly any fat on it.....i poked through ALL the packs and got 2 with hardly any fat in the packs. got loads of rashers also in the pack hope this helps.
  • abitofhelp
    Love the colour but soup is something I don't eat. Never have - it must be the liquid texture - I don't like?
    Originally posted by Florenceem
    i like a liquid soup myself oh prefers his before i whizz it up, though he gets what he is given. i can do a good minestrone, carrot & lentil, & mushroom. not had much success with leek & potato but will try again, it has also been a while since i made carrot and corriander, but i do have a large bag of carrots so i will make a start on them tomorrow and make the soup in the slow cooker. i will also check the peppers in the salad box, the best ones i will keep for salads during the week and the remaining i will slice for monday nights fajitas and maybe add some to the soup, going to farm shop tomorrow to stock up on salad and fruit(small spend)
    Grocery Challenge 24th Feb-28 Dec 2012 £2000/£1404
    18th May- 15th June 2012 £100/£75
    Dont Throw Food Away 2012 May £5/0
  • abitofhelp
    hi, just letting you know that i too have been using mr t cooking bacon in quiche etc but have foubd that past few weeks its been pure fat cut up into cubes not at all like the one we had before where you got a few rashers etc... I stopped buying it and went into li£dles the other day , they selling a massive 1 kg bag choice of smoked/unsmoked for 1.25 absolute bargain!!!! its a 100 times tastier than mr t one and hardly any fat on it.....i poked through ALL the packs and got 2 with hardly any fat in the packs. got loads of rashers also in the pack hope this helps.
    Originally posted by craigywv
    thanks for the tip. we have a lidle close by, i shall pop in on monday to see if they have anything similar.
    Grocery Challenge 24th Feb-28 Dec 2012 £2000/£1404
    18th May- 15th June 2012 £100/£75
    Dont Throw Food Away 2012 May £5/0
    • Florenceem
    • By Florenceem 21st Apr 12, 4:35 PM
    • 3,984 Posts
    • 52,562 Thanks
    Florenceem
    Originally posted by craigywv
    Thanks for that - will look in my local Lid. next time I am there.
    15 in 2015 1/15
  • jumblejack
    Thanks for the tip Craig. I was gonna nip in Lidl for the weekend offer of bacon which is a quid a pack. This tip is much better value for me as I usually use bacon in stuff, rather than having the actual rashers anyway.

Good un

A good deal if you use em is this too:
    East end chick peas 400g can 25p @ Tesco

I love em in a curry or for bulking out stews n casseroles!

Edit:
    Just seen my total grocery spend am a bit worried that I might go over
    It is possible really as I have so much in my pantry and freezer but it's the whoopsy spending on fresh items when I buy my milk that tots up the total in a crafty way.
    Need to go again tonight for milk but can't seem to help myself when I see a bargain
    Last edited by jumblejack; 21-04-2012 at 4:52 PM.
    Every moment is a gift. That's why we call it the present.!
    Grocery Spend Weekly Challenge (Sat-Fri):£30.50/£40
  • supersally01
    Afternoon all,

Done a good shop today, lots of meat and store cupboard things. Also the bacon and other offers from LIDL were good this week, gonna make mushroom risotto and tomato soup for light suppers. Got home and chucked out some OOD cereal etc that had been lurking a while, so nice and tidy now!

Spent,

£46.99 in Morrisons (used the £5 MOC)
    £11.00 in LIDL
    £2.60 in COOP (3 for 1 cheese, sold my mum one tho!)

Total £60.59

Declaring at £214.07 for April, as pay day Monday, and new month starts then!!! Not bad, as I had dropped the target spend to £200, so money saved on my usual £250.

May will be £250, just me and 2 kids, as OH not back till June!
    Have a great weekend all,

Sally.
    • Florenceem
    • By Florenceem 21st Apr 12, 5:38 PM
    • 3,984 Posts
    • 52,562 Thanks
    Florenceem
    Afternoon all,

Done a good shop today, lots of meat and store cupboard things. Also the bacon and other offers from LIDL were good this week, gonna make mushroom risotto and tomato soup for light suppers. Got home and chucked out some OOD cereal etc that had been lurking a while, so nice and tidy now!

Spent,

£46.99 in Morrisons (used the £5 MOC)
    £11.00 in LIDL
    £2.60 in COOP (3 for 1 cheese, sold my mum one tho!)

Total £60.59

Declaring at £214.07 for April, as pay day Monday, and new month starts then!!! Not bad, as I had dropped the target spend to £200, so money saved on my usual £250.

May will be £250, just me and 2 kids, as OH not back till June!
    Have a great weekend all,

Sally.
    Originally posted by supersally01
    Chucked out OOD cereal! Couldn't it have gone in krispie type cakes or syrup/treacle tart! Bossy Florenceem here!
    15 in 2015 1/15
    • Becks81
    • By Becks81 21st Apr 12, 5:42 PM
    • 426 Posts
    • 2,903 Thanks
    Becks81
    Spent £23.07 at Morrisons today, was only going to help my Nan around with her shopping, but managed to pick up a few pieces that have disappeared of Tesco's shelves, namely soda crystals and stardrops. Plus Pepsi Max was on offer at £1 a bottle so I picked up 4 - that should last me the week.

Have updated my signature, and can still squeeze in that £40 shop at Tesco's if I need to now This will then put me in good shape for starting the May challenge, which I have just realised has 1 more day in the month than April so I'm sure this will make a difference somewhere.
    • hex2
    • By hex2 21st Apr 12, 6:03 PM
    • 4,722 Posts
    • 80,174 Thanks
    hex2
    More 28p beans from MrA for me - cheaper than using the dried ones at the moment.

I bought the madhur jaffrey eastern veg cooking that someone suggested and it is indeed a very good recipe book, very inspiring. Feta pastries and green lentil salad for lunch - we had thirds which rather defeats the point of it being cheaper!
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need' Marcus Tullius Cicero
    • craigywv
    • By craigywv 21st Apr 12, 6:10 PM
    • 1,976 Posts
    • 27,825 Thanks
    craigywv
    Thanks for the tip Craig. I was gonna nip in Lidl for the weekend offer of bacon which is a quid a pack. This tip is much better value for me as I usually use bacon in stuff, rather than having the actual rashers anyway.

Good un

A good deal if you use em is this too:
    East end chick peas 400g can 25p @ Tesco

I love em in a curry or for bulking out stews n casseroles!

Edit:
    Just seen my total grocery spend am a bit worried that I might go over
    It is possible really as I have so much in my pantry and freezer but it's the whoopsy spending on fresh items when I buy my milk that tots up the total in a crafty way.
    Need to go again tonight for milk but can't seem to help myself when I see a bargain
    Originally posted by jumblejack
    will get the chickpeas ab love em ty
  • Mrs Addicted to Spending
    I've done well this week with spends so think I'm only going to go about £13.00 over my monthly budget - this is good as the way I was going earlier in the month, it looked like I would bust the budget by much more than that .

This week I've made a real effort to use what we have in - but I've still got lots left in freezer, so next week I'm not doing a 'big shop' but will just buy what we need as we need it, so hopefully next week will be cheap . I'll post final monthly spend when my week ends on Tues, just in case we have a sudden rush on something and I need to buy stuff.

Please can you put my May budget down for £320 again, as I'm going for the £80 per week again, in the hope that I will stick within it this month . Thank you .
    Pay debt in 2012 #278 £2347/£5364
    Sealed Pot 5 #1713 £78.57 //Crazy Clothes Challenge #97 £79.49/£100
    Grocery Challenge:
    Feb £359/£360 Mar £390/£450 Apr £335/£320
    May £330/£320 Jun £455/£400 Jul £321/£320
    Aug £399/£370 Sep £345/£300 Oct £421/£400 Nov £0/£320
    • Florenceem
    • By Florenceem 21st Apr 12, 6:42 PM
    • 3,984 Posts
    • 52,562 Thanks
    Florenceem
    Marrow and Apple Chutney.
    This recipe is from my making preserves book - 1981.
    We grew the marrow/apples/onions - my notes from that time say - cost to make - 11p a jar. The recipe says - makes 6 -7lbs.

1.5 kg/3 lb marrow, after peeling and seeding.
    675g/1 1/2 lbs onions.
    2 tablespoons coarse salt.
    1 kg/ 2 lbs apples, after peeling and coring.
    675g/1 1/2 lb brown sugar
    1.75 litres/ 3 pints spiced vinegar.

Cut marrow into slices, peel + chop onions. Put marrow + onions in a shallow dish, sprinkling with coarse salt; leave 24 hours then strain. Slice apples, put in a pan with marrow + onions and sugar. Cook in half the vinegar until tender and apples are pulpy, stirring (with large wooden spoon) from time to time - I did this in a large jam/preserve pan with lid on.
    Uncover now/add remaining vinegar + simmer until reduced and thickened. Pot up while still hot and cover at once. ( I used to put a jam making wax disc on top of the chutney before I sealed the jar - cut circles out of a wax paper roll.) I saved all my jars - gave them a wash in hot water/dried then sterilised in Microwave before using. My middle Son was mad on Branston pickle - this chutney is much nicer and he loved it.
    I had a cupboard especially for all my HM jams/chutneys and pickles. You can use windfall apples for this chutney as long as all bruised parts are removed. My children were sent into the garden with a bucket after a windy day - I even used the smallest windfalls! I sold jars of this chutney as well from my doorstep - had regular customers. Selling a few jars paid for the sugar/vinegar I used.
    Let me know if anyone wants the spiced vinegar recipe. I had a 4 storey house - the smells when I was making chutney went all over the house. It was a Victorian house and the kitchen door had warped over the years!
    15 in 2015 1/15
    • craigywv
    • By craigywv 21st Apr 12, 7:07 PM
    • 1,976 Posts
    • 27,825 Thanks
    craigywv
    I have joined the eating out of freezer and cupboards too ...............needs...must!!!! No room left,might try fiscal fast also , and maybe give hide my carkeys and purse challenge, starting that one up myself !! Along with my family will not concede to a terrible fate if there is a quarter inch of freezer space exposed!and also the walk away from the tinned tomatoes challenge convinced those blo%y tins have a magnectic force all of their own....rambled on enough here away to count my bottles of stardrops...didnt i mention yet another ocd of mine bye for now xx
    • tigerfeet2006
    • By tigerfeet2006 21st Apr 12, 8:29 PM
    • 13,812 Posts
    • 29,889 Thanks
    tigerfeet2006
    Closing my April budget with 37.80p left over as I have no shopping to get this week and I'm away on my hols next saturday for a week but will set my May Budget at £75.00 as I will start again on the 5th may when I come home.Very pleased with how April went as I managed to use up quite a bit from the freezer
    Originally posted by JackieO
    Have a fantastic holiday Jackie. Come back rested and raring to go.
    BSCno.87
    The only stupid question is an unasked one
    I now live in a country that is 4 hours ahead of the UK so you may now find I post at weird times
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]
    • PennyGrabber
    • By PennyGrabber 21st Apr 12, 9:14 PM
    • 1,268 Posts
    • 22,438 Thanks
    PennyGrabber
    All this talk of soup...

I made bendy soup on Thursday night. We had boiled ham for dinner, and I usually save the water, put it in the fridge and think 'I'll do something with that later...'. Well, Thurs I actually made some soup while dinner was cooking! I chopped up loads of veg while making the parsley sauce for dinner, and then just shoved the veg into the pan as soon as I'd taken the ham out. Then, when I took the plates back to the kitchen after dinner, it was done! (I added some lentils and stock cubes too.)

I had some for lunch on Friday at work, and my friends looked at it and said it looked nice, what type was it? I replied that it was bendy soup, and they said they'd never heard of it, what was in it?! I said you know, all the bendy veg from the bottom of the fridge! They all rotfl!!!

It's generally the only type of soup I make! This one was a carrot, an onion, a leek, a swede, two spuds and some celery. Was lush! Serving it to my mum and brother for lunch tomorrow. Hopefully she'll approve; either that or she'll rave about my brother who's so amazing and so skint but makes such wonderful food... Of course, she's bringing the brother who had depression so much worse than me. I'm kind of the failure of the family, never done anything quite as good as my brothers... And my sister in law is like the daughter she never had, the way she raves about her. I'm so looking forward to them visiting for my birthday!!

Whoops, I digress. Sorry.

Guess I'm off th bed then.

Night all,

Pg x

ps - spent £17 odd in a$da today, got loads of fruit for the week so no need to shop for a while.
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan £87.97/£100 Feb £0/£100
    Frugal 2018 needed! Saving and NOT spending
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,063Posts Today

8,990Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Channel 4 really screwed up not doing this on the Tory leaders debate last night, just think of the ratings... https://t.co/eYYfAYGdck

• Teacher/head in a London(ish) senior school? I want film a 1hr ish talk to 16-18 yr olds on student finance (to put? https://t.co/dSsSp1UVDF

• RT @thismorning: As a ban on rip-off bank fees is announced, @MartinSLewis explains if you can reclaim, and how to cut your overdraft costs?

• Follow Martin