Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Helen
    • By Former MSE Helen 20th Apr 12, 8:47 AM
    • 2,324Posts
    • 971Thanks
    Former MSE Helen
    MSE News: Petrol prices hit new high
    • 20th Apr 12, 8:47 AM
    MSE News: Petrol prices hit new high 20th Apr 12 at 8:47 AM
    This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"After a brief halt following weeks of increases, the average cost of petrol has gone up to 142.48p a litre, says the AA"

Read the full story:
    Petrol prices hit new high

Page 1
    • roddydogs
    • By roddydogs 20th Apr 12, 8:54 AM
    • 6,417 Posts
    • 2,775 Thanks
    roddydogs
    • 20th Apr 12, 8:54 AM
    • 20th Apr 12, 8:54 AM
    Thats funny, I paid 143 p pl at BP last week
    • jaydeeuk1
    • By jaydeeuk1 20th Apr 12, 9:15 AM
    • 7,454 Posts
    • 4,942 Thanks
    jaydeeuk1
    • 20th Apr 12, 9:15 AM
    • 20th Apr 12, 9:15 AM
    Is there really any need for a 'petrol prices have gone up' thread nearly every !!!!!!! week?
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 20th Apr 12, 9:45 AM
    • 13,517 Posts
    • 10,108 Thanks
    neilmcl
    • 20th Apr 12, 9:45 AM
    • 20th Apr 12, 9:45 AM
    +1. The trend for petrol prices is on the rise. This is really old news so why the new discussion.
    • Azari
    • By Azari 20th Apr 12, 10:05 AM
    • 3,941 Posts
    • 6,164 Thanks
    Azari
    • 20th Apr 12, 10:05 AM
    • 20th Apr 12, 10:05 AM
    I will consider this news when it is accompanied by a piece that says that traffic has dropped noticeably.

As the roads seem just as busy we have two possibilities:

1) People can still easily afford petrol.
    2) During the last 20 years a hell of a lot more people have arranged their lives so that they have to keep using their cars, no matter what the cost.
    There are two types of people in the world: Those that can extrapolate information.
  • Premier
    • 20th Apr 12, 10:44 AM
    • 20th Apr 12, 10:44 AM
    I think my post from last months thread on the same topic probably still holds:

It's all about supply and demand.

And when the pumps start running dry next month because the tanker drivers are going on strike, just watch that demand.

People will be queueing up for hours to pay any price asked ...
    Originally posted by Premier
    Decision day today as their mandate to call a strike runs out...
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
    • mystic_trev
    • By mystic_trev 20th Apr 12, 11:37 AM
    • 5,147 Posts
    • 15,365 Thanks
    mystic_trev
    • 20th Apr 12, 11:37 AM
    • 20th Apr 12, 11:37 AM
    Decision day today as their mandate to call a strike runs out...
    Originally posted by Premier
    Not right, they're continuing discussions with ACAS next week. No decision until Tuesday at the earliest, and even then they have to give 6 days notice of a strike.
    • gadgetmind
    • By gadgetmind 20th Apr 12, 12:05 PM
    • 10,951 Posts
    • 8,951 Thanks
    gadgetmind
    • 20th Apr 12, 12:05 PM
    • 20th Apr 12, 12:05 PM
    Drive less, cycle more. The fuel in my car's tank should last me another three months so I'm pretty chilled by the whole thing TBH.
    I am not a financial adviser and neither do I play one on television. I might occasionally give bad advice but at least it's free.

Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorns is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that they are pink; we logically know that they are invisible because we can't see them.
  • Notmyrealname
    • 20th Apr 12, 12:12 PM
    • 20th Apr 12, 12:12 PM
    The fuel in my car's tank should last me another three months so I'm pretty chilled by the whole thing TBH.
    Originally posted by gadgetmind
    You might want to use it before then. Fuel goes off and starts to turn to jelly, clogging the fuel lines and injectors.
  • Premier
    Not right, they're continuing discussions with ACAS next week. No decision until Tuesday at the earliest, and even then they have to give 6 days notice of a strike.
    Originally posted by mystic_trev
    I'm no expert, got my details from the bbc

...Unite has until Friday to accept a deal or announce a strike, after a deadline for calling industrial action was extended.

It would then have to give seven days' notice of any industrial action...
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17753488

Do you have a more reliable source please?

Edit: Ah looks like they've since got a further extension
    ...Peter Harwood, Acas chief conciliator said, "Acas talks will reconvene on Monday. The employers and Unite have agreed to an extension of the validity of the ballot period for a further four days until Tuesday, to enable these talks to take place."...
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17771769

Kind of makes sense as alternatively I understand they could have called a strike for as little as 15 minutes in 7 days time, allowing them to get an extension for a longer one later if necessary.

...Meanwhile military drivers are being put through an eight-day training course to enable them to operate commercial tankers, should a strike be called.

More than 80 drivers from the Royal Air Force have been training with one oil haulage firm.
    Last edited by Premier; 20-04-2012 at 12:35 PM.
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
    • gadgetmind
    • By gadgetmind 20th Apr 12, 12:36 PM
    • 10,951 Posts
    • 8,951 Thanks
    gadgetmind
    You might want to use it before then. Fuel goes off and starts to turn to jelly, clogging the fuel lines and injectors.
    Originally posted by Notmyrealname
    I thought that it was usually fine for several months, even more if the tank is mostly full?
    I am not a financial adviser and neither do I play one on television. I might occasionally give bad advice but at least it's free.

Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorns is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that they are pink; we logically know that they are invisible because we can't see them.
    • Azari
    • By Azari 20th Apr 12, 12:37 PM
    • 3,941 Posts
    • 6,164 Thanks
    Azari
    Originally posted by Notmyrealname
    No it doesn't.

It will only turn to jelly is it has been adulterated.

You can leave a car for months and it will run perfectly happily on the petrol that has been in the tank all that time.
    There are two types of people in the world: Those that can extrapolate information.
  • Premier
    We have vehicles that have sat around for years.
    They may need a jump start to overcome a flat battery, but otherwise run fine with the fuel that remains in the tank.

I wouldn't worry too much about fuel 'going off' unless you are racing a Formula 1 car or the like.
    • Pincher
    • By Pincher 20th Apr 12, 1:30 PM
    • 6,516 Posts
    • 2,491 Thanks
    Pincher
    TESCO should get into the car club business.

I want them to keep some plug-in electric cars in the car park.

I want to:

1. Book the car using my Clubcard (previously registered DVLA details)
    2. Cycle to the supermarket
    3. Start the car using the Clubcard
    4. Use the car
    5. Return the car, plug it in (or preferrably undercar contactless charger)
    6. Sign-off with Clubcard.
    7. Go home by bicycle.

I tried Zipcar, but the nearest car is too far.
    • gadgetmind
    • By gadgetmind 20th Apr 12, 1:34 PM
    • 10,951 Posts
    • 8,951 Thanks
    gadgetmind
    I want them to keep some plug-in electric cars in the car park.
    Originally posted by Pincher
    Yes, that would work well.

Our local Sainsburies has (or had?) bike trailers you could borrow, but I have my own "bike hod". The hod works well as you can wheel it around by hand, self-scan straight into it, hook it up to your bike to cycle home, and then wheel the trailer straight into the kitchen.

• im-lost
    oh no, the cost per mile has gone up by 0.01p what will we do,
    surely this is the end of the world.

ah well, my scooter is still under 7p a mile, when it gets to 25p
    a mile I'll start to worry.
    • AHAR
    • By AHAR 20th Apr 12, 6:52 PM
    • 969 Posts
    • 661 Thanks
    AHAR
    oh no, the cost per mile has gone up by 0.01p what will we do,
    Originally posted by im-lost
    One hundredth of a penny? Show your working please.
  • im-lost
    One hundredth of a penny? Show your working please.
    Originally posted by AHAR
    you know what I mean.. its an insignificant increase in the grand scheme of things.

2p extra per litre, 9p extra per gallon, a car at 50 mpg or scooter at 100 mpg then you get less than .2p and .1p respectively, hardly news worthy
    • posh*spice
    • By posh*spice 21st Apr 12, 7:26 AM
    • 1,389 Posts
    • 2,507 Thanks
    posh*spice
    I will consider this news when it is accompanied by a piece that says that traffic has dropped noticeably.
    Originally posted by Azari
    Petrol sales plummet as prices climb
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/petrol-sales-plummet-as-prices-climb-2258409.html

Fuel sales fall by a BILLION litres (which is a 637m hole in the Treasury's tank)
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2012480/Fuel-sales-fall-BILLION-litres-637m-hole-Treasurys-tank.html

Petrol prices rise again even as demand falls
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2012/jan/18/petrol-prices-rise-demand-falls
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 21st Apr 12, 7:41 AM
    • 22,820 Posts
    • 18,841 Thanks
    agrinnall
    It was being reported on the BBC yesterday that prices are expected to fall by 5p a litre in the next 2 weeks due to a collapse in wholesale prices. This is from The Telegraph:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/9215714/Petrol-prices-expected-to-drop-by-5p-a-litre.html
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

460Posts Today

5,326Users online

Martin's Twitter