Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Martin
    • By MSE Martin 22nd May 07, 4:08 PM
    • 8,111Posts
    • 42,248Thanks
    MSE Martin
    0 WOW
    Online Pedometer: Ditch the car, count your calories and work out distances
    • 22nd May 07, 4:08 PM
    0 WOW
    Online Pedometer: Ditch the car, count your calories and work out distances 22nd May 07 at 4:08 PM
    What's this all about?

Now I must admit I only put this in because I thought it was really cool. Google has a smart tool, the Gmaps Pedometer, which allows you to map routes online and will automatically work out how far you're walking and the calories you'll burn.

Simply go to G-map and navigate to the area you would like to map. Click on 'start recording' then double click on your start point. Carry on by clicking on each point of your route.

Once you're done the pedometer on the left hand side will show you the total distance, the distance of the last leg and the calories burnt. You can also print off the map for reference.

Happy clicking

Martin

Last edited by MSE Martin; 22-05-2007 at 7:16 PM.
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.

Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.

Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
Page 1
    • Butlers1982
    • By Butlers1982 22nd May 07, 4:13 PM
    • 2,580 Posts
    • 1,773 Thanks
    Butlers1982
    • 22nd May 07, 4:13 PM
    how cool is that ! ! ! !
    Now i can pretend to have done some exercise!
  • Pete283
    I walk to work every day, so this could come in handy to see if its worth it or not!

Thanks Martin!
  • joapet
    • 22nd May 07, 7:04 PM
    • 22nd May 07, 7:04 PM
    wow i burnt 230 calories today and walked over 2 miles. Cool.
  • Miss Bliss
    • 22nd May 07, 9:12 PM
    • 22nd May 07, 9:12 PM
    This site is excellent! I used it to map walks training for the London Playtex Moonwalk! Much more reliable than a pedometer!
  • madbat
    • 22nd May 07, 9:40 PM
    uk
    • 22nd May 07, 9:40 PM
    I cant get it to load for the UK, has anyone else had this problem??
    Kate
    insert extremly witty and clever name here and thats me!!!
    • knithappens
    • By knithappens 22nd May 07, 10:56 PM
    • 1,784 Posts
    • 9,557 Thanks
    knithappens
    • 22nd May 07, 10:56 PM
    • 22nd May 07, 10:56 PM
    i started walking too and from work monday. works out it is a 3.3 miles round trip, burning roughly 382 calories. Very please
  • sarerb18
    • 22nd May 07, 11:45 PM
    • 22nd May 07, 11:45 PM
    I cant get it to load for the UK, has anyone else had this problem??
    Kate
    Originally posted by madbat
    Zoom out to the largest size and you get the world and then double click on england and hey presto you click the scale thingy (sorry to be so technical) and you can go where you want. Some one else will tell the correct way but this worked.

Sarer

Thanks Martin it's brilliant!!
    Last edited by sarerb18; 22-05-2007 at 11:46 PM. Reason: spelling

• Prudent
    • By Prudent 23rd May 07, 7:50 AM
    • 11,212 Posts
    • 48,844 Thanks
    Prudent
    • 23rd May 07, 7:50 AM
    • 23rd May 07, 7:50 AM
    This is great. Had a lot of fun working out all my usual routes.
    • iamsam
    • By iamsam 23rd May 07, 9:31 AM
    • 104 Posts
    • 96 Thanks
    iamsam
    Alternative online pedometer/mapping utilies.
    MapMyRun does essentially the same job (it also uses Google maps data), but it's a lot slicker and has many more features. It allows you to save a default starting locatation, and workout/training data. It also has a searchable database of user-submitted routes (in many more categories than just running - hiking, dog walks, cycling, etc.). You can even export your route to a GPS device/Google Earth.
    EDIT: I suggest you use this site with an ad-blocker on firefox.

WalkIt will plot a walking route between two locations, and allows you to print directions and a corresponding map (like a route planner, but for walking). Apart from walking distance/time, it'll also show you calories burned and CO2 emissions saved by not taking other forms of transport. Unfortunately, it's only for Central London at the moment; but there appears to be a beta version for Birmingham.
    -
    Last edited by iamsam; 23-05-2007 at 11:09 AM.
  • bigbadbiker
    My walk to the pub and back burned up one pint. Whoopee! Might get the landlord to install a treadmill so I can have a calorie neutral session!
  • beeniemac
    Good stuff, although unfortunately doesn't take into condsideration any gradients!

LBM
    September 2006

Yorkshire loan: 4164 >>> 0
    Amazon CC: 320 >>> 1700 (oops)
    HSBC OD: 1300 >>> 200

Total 5784 >>> 1900 21/05/2006

• iamsam
    • By iamsam 23rd May 07, 1:29 PM
    • 104 Posts
    • 96 Thanks
    iamsam
    Good stuff, although unfortunately doesn't take into condsideration any gradients!
    Originally posted by beeniemac
    What doesn't; MapMyRun? Under 'Map Settings', click the 'Display Elevation' box. I believe Gmaps Pedometer has a similar feature.
  • Wiggynut
    the gmap one asks for lbs - I always forget... is there 12lbs to a stone or 14lbs???
    Light bulb moment April 07: 3,655 Oct 07: 2,220 now 0 - 3 years of Uni debt to be added at a later date
    now at Uni as a Mature student -update: now has a First Class BA!
    • iamsam
    • By iamsam 23rd May 07, 3:18 PM
    • 104 Posts
    • 96 Thanks
    iamsam
    the gmap one asks for lbs - I always forget... is there 12lbs to a stone or 14lbs???
    Originally posted by Wiggynut
    I always forget these things too... It's 14lbs.

Google is pretty handy for conversions - just type what you want converting into their search box (e.g. 14 lbs in stones, or 9 stones 12lbs in lbs).
    Last edited by iamsam; 23-05-2007 at 3:20 PM.
    • pavlovs_dog
    • By pavlovs_dog 23rd May 07, 3:29 PM
    • 9,770 Posts
    • 23,794 Thanks
    pavlovs_dog
    fab link for runners, cheers!
    know thyself

MFW 2018 #22 - 2180.08 /6,000 (36%)
    MFi3 v4 #29 target 75,000

Nid wy'n gofyn bywyd moethus...
  • Wiggynut
    crikey - it can't be right!
    1120.68 calories burned for a 7.56 mile walk (to and from work).
    I wish... I eat just between 1,500 to 2,000 and rarely go over! so I should be skinny... I'm not!
    Light bulb moment April 07: 3,655 Oct 07: 2,220 now 0 - 3 years of Uni debt to be added at a later date
    now at Uni as a Mature student -update: now has a First Class BA!
  • halojones
    Does any one know of one for cyclists? I am trying to cycle into work 3 times a week, and its 6 miles each way.

Burning calories, saving money and the planet at the same time.
    Amazon Sellers Club Member Number 52
    2008 for 2008 Club Member Number 318
    total YTD 75
    Good Luck Everyone
  • VickyM
    I also think the calorie rate is a bit wrong - sorry!! I'm sure there's someone more knowledgeable around, but I don't really think my 3 and a halfmile walk last night burned up 400 calories...
  • Leonie
    Does walking use more calories than cycling? If not, my occasional cycle rides to the beach use up 1317 calories No wonder I'm always starving when I get back!

Does anyone know if you need to click round bends in the road to get the real mileage (the line seems to go as the crow flies) or just major points in your route?

I love it - I'll check how far it is to work, and see if I want to cycle it if my car breaks down again. It would take hours to get there by bus!
    "Be kind. For everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." Plato

"After all is said and done, more is said than done." Aesop
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

849Posts Today

6,058Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's FRI Twitter poll: As everyone knows, you're a creative genius with an huge range of highly honed skills.? https://t.co/KV5FHAqK6v

• Watching Theresa May... seriously would anyone in their right mind truly want her job right now!

• RT @thecheekypostie: @MartinSLewis Thanks to this, I have just skim read it. To those in Scotland - on page 548, Dounreay is mentioned by n?

• Follow Martin