Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Guy
    • By MSE Guy 30th Mar 12, 12:31 PM
    • 1,628Posts
    • 1,255Thanks
    MSE Guy
    MSE News: 'Huge Switch' aims to beat Which? 'Big Switch'
    • 30th Mar 12, 12:31 PM
    MSE News: 'Huge Switch' aims to beat Which? 'Big Switch' 30th Mar 12 at 12:31 PM
    This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"A rival to consumer group Which?'s campaign has been launched by Energyhelpline.com ..."

Page 1
    • MillicentBystander
    • By MillicentBystander 30th Mar 12, 1:00 PM
    • 3,450 Posts
    • 2,225 Thanks
    MillicentBystander
    • 30th Mar 12, 1:00 PM
    • 30th Mar 12, 1:00 PM
    Great, another email harvesting initiative that very probably won't guarantee anything like the best deal. Anyone remember the fuel one a few years ago? I got marketing emails for years....
  • meggsy
    • 30th Mar 12, 1:01 PM
    • 30th Mar 12, 1:01 PM
    British Gas refuses to take part in the Which Big Switch

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/consumertips/household-bills/9175504/British-Gas-refuses-to-take-part-in-Big-Switch.html
    Last edited by meggsy; 30-03-2012 at 1:04 PM.
    • victor2
    • By victor2 30th Mar 12, 1:15 PM
    • 4,931 Posts
    • 3,304 Thanks
    victor2
    • 30th Mar 12, 1:15 PM
    • 30th Mar 12, 1:15 PM
    Which? arguably has more potential signatories than Energyhelpline and still has only attracted a little over 200,000 possible customers. Would make them a nice little sum if it works, but why would energy providers give Which? 40 per customer when comparison sites effectively advertise their rates (if competitive) for free?
    • patman99
    • By patman99 30th Mar 12, 1:16 PM
    • 8,263 Posts
    • 9,786 Thanks
    patman99
    • 30th Mar 12, 1:16 PM
    • 30th Mar 12, 1:16 PM
    Then BG will miss-out on gaining new customers instead of losing some.

The Which 'Big switch' commission payments will go to funding more consumer investigations and campaigns.

The Energyhelpline 'Huge switch' commission payments will go towards the shareholders premiums.

I know which one I'd rather see my cash go to.
    Never Knowingly Understood.

Member #1 of 1,000 challenge - 13.74/ 1000 (that's 1.374%)

3-6 month EF 0/3600 (that's 0 days worth)

Do you/your spouse earn less than 197 p/w ?. Fill-in Form R85 and get your Bank interest Tax free.
  • Premier
    • 30th Mar 12, 1:29 PM
    • 30th Mar 12, 1:29 PM
    Great marketing spin there by EHL, but remember the amount of profit the intermediary takes is unimportant; all that matters is what is the cheapest cost to the consumer ... and the myriad of tariffs and suppliers currently available clearly indicates this isn't a one size fits all.

I'm not sure how this is supposed to work.
    Either they plan to set up their own supply company and do everything (billing, customer service, etc) like multimillionaire, Matt Stockdale spectacularly failed to do with his atcostenergy company ... and he said he wasn't going to earn any commission at all.

Or, they will approach the companies and do a deal with one to supply & handle all the billing etc, just as non-profit making Ebico currently do with their supply partner SSE.
    But whilst Ebico may be good for some, (in this case the low users, and those on PPMs who they target) it clearly is not the cheapest for everyone.

As I said with the Which? campaign, and I said with the atcostenergy promotions at the time ... and I said with the pipedream, sorry Pipeline, card that was promising to get us cheap petrol/diesel but is now spamming those who signed up with that energy company we cannot mention here, be careful what you sign up for ... and don't expect anything soon.

Just keep using those comparison sites (and yes I do like EHL for that) to check for the best deal that suits your individual household requirements.
    • Blackdog
    • By Blackdog 30th Mar 12, 1:33 PM
    • 452 Posts
    • 309 Thanks
    Blackdog
    • 30th Mar 12, 1:33 PM
    • 30th Mar 12, 1:33 PM
    Also worth considering is the Peoples Power who are only taking 2 commission and it's a community interest company. www.thePeoplesPower.co.uk

They say they have signed up some Housing Associations and are having a big push to get more people signed up by Easter.
    • Reaper
    • By Reaper 30th Mar 12, 2:00 PM
    • 6,486 Posts
    • 4,841 Thanks
    Reaper
    • 30th Mar 12, 2:00 PM
    • 30th Mar 12, 2:00 PM
    Great, another email harvesting initiative that very probably won't guarantee anything like the best deal. Anyone remember the fuel one a few years ago? I got marketing emails for years....
    Originally posted by MillicentBystander
    Not only that but the Fuel people did a group energy deal as well similar to these schemes. I went along with it but it turned out more expensive than the tariff I was on. I fully expect both these schemes to similarly fail to be the cheapest on the market.
    • thelawnet
    • By thelawnet 30th Mar 12, 2:24 PM
    • 2,458 Posts
    • 1,690 Thanks
    thelawnet
    • 30th Mar 12, 2:24 PM
    • 30th Mar 12, 2:24 PM
    Which? is increasingly irrelevant in the internet age, and are having to pimp themseves out to washing up liquid manufacturers and come up with schemes like this to raise revenue to make up for the fact that much of their printed output is now available from free, consumer-generated websites for free. If you want to buy a TV in this day in age, the Which magazine is no longer the place to go for advise.
    • Consumerist
    • By Consumerist 30th Mar 12, 4:08 PM
    • 5,203 Posts
    • 2,602 Thanks
    Consumerist
    It's hard to see how energy customers could do any better than by using the energy comparison sites, particularly when coupled with possible cash-back incentives.

I think it's going to take action by Ofgem, to force the energy suppliers to advise their customers of the discounts they offer on their other tariffs, to achieve more widespread savings in energy costs.

The downside, of course, is that the more widely the cheaper tariffs are taken up, the more likely it is that competition will close the gap between the cheaper and the more expensive tariffs.
    Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
    • Michael_Nottingham
    • By Michael_Nottingham 30th Mar 12, 5:26 PM
    • 268 Posts
    • 2,690 Thanks
    Michael_Nottingham
    but why would energy providers give Which? 40 per customer when comparison sites effectively advertise their rates (if competitive) for free?
    Originally posted by victor2

Yes true the comparison sites have to quote all the rates - but they all take a cut for any deals that they switch the customer to online - a good guide how much is the cashback you can get from Quidco / TopCashback etc. So likely to cost them a similar amount to the Which cut
  • Terrylw1
    More sales gimmicks, without caring about all the mess it will create.

Its good they are funding investigations since this type of deal is going to increase the amount of problems suffered, raise operating costs, slow down performance, etc.

I would like to know how they plan to compensate customers in the queue waiting to switch because there is an industry limit of transmission of data so getting everyone to switch at the same time would require cross business projects to manage all the data transfer. Even if you pick a future date, the process won't allow them to work in batches as much of it is automated.

I don't think the utilities will fancy the prospect of testing their systems with volume like this. Oh yeah, and remember that since overnight batch processing is the norm, a sudden large influx could cause that to take a lot longer and stop systems working in office hours.

Its a shame someone isn't raising all this in the media because Which seem to largely be seen as campaigning for customers...but they aren't being open over the logistics of it...typical sales people.
    It's better to live 1 year as a tiger than a lifetime as a worm...but then, whoever heard of a wormskin rug!!!
    • Pincher
    • By Pincher 31st Mar 12, 2:06 AM
    • 6,516 Posts
    • 2,491 Thanks
    Pincher
    So what happens if you move house half way through this fixed deal? Does Which have to give the 40 back?

Similarly, the householder sees an even better deal three months in, can they switch out?

They need to put in ball and chain clauses to stop you from messing up their sweet deal.
  • Premier
    Yes true the comparison sites have to quote all the rates - but they all take a cut for any deals that they switch the customer to online - a good guide how much is the cashback you can get from Quidco / TopCashback etc. So likely to cost them a similar amount to the Which cut
    Originally posted by Michael_Nottingham
    There are a significant number of supplier tarrifs on any comparison site that the comparison site won't switch a customer to. That is because the supplier won't give them a bung for doing so.

Ebico, to name one supplier, will not pay anyone any commission for signing up new customers.

It was due to complaints made by Ebico that all generally available suppliers & tariffs must now be shown by the comparison sites, irrespective of whether or not they offer a bung.
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
  • meggsy
    Coop energy is another listed on comparison sites but you need to go to their site to switch to them. They offer 50 off to new customers though from time to time.
  • jwarren66
    Victor - not sure if I misunderstood you - I think all the comparison sites take a big commission - pretty much from all the energy companies - thats why you see adverts for them everywhere!

As far as I can see thepeoplespower Blackdog mentioned takes the lowest fees - so should be able to pass on the most savings. Though they are smaller than which?
    heard them on Money box radio 4 on saturday - they claimed that as they do a smaller set of switches, the small energy companies will work with them too - where big switch can only deal with big six (now 4 left ... Paul lewis implies will not want to deal with them.

I can't bear the big six so don't like big switch approach.

Energyhelpline thing just looks like a cynical ploy to me - agree that I would rather my commission goes to which than energyhelpline ... but would prefer to pay a lower commission full stop! after all its us who pay for the commissions in one way or another
    • alinwales
    • By alinwales 3rd Apr 12, 9:09 AM
    • 318 Posts
    • 186 Thanks
    alinwales
    I've given up thinking that this mass switching thing is going to work. My theory is that even if the suppliers play ball and take part in the auction, there could be a headline tariff that beats all else, but there will be no sweetners. For instance, for my sins I am switching to nPower because they offer over 100 discount, plus by going through MSE site I get another 40. Their rates are higher than others, but over the time of their fix I will still be quids in over other suppliers. If they took part in an auction, and offered prices 10% lower than they currently do, but I get no incentives, I am still on a better deal over the next 14 months with my rebates.
    • Pincher
    • By Pincher 3rd Apr 12, 12:08 PM
    • 6,516 Posts
    • 2,491 Thanks
    Pincher
    Assuming the auction bid is based on energy futures,
    you can't buy the contracts in the hope of getting the Big Switch customers. If you lose the bid, and the market moves, you could lose millions.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,576Posts Today

5,352Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Mini MSE is on half term next week, so I'm excited to be taking the week off to be daddy. As normal I'm signing of? https://t.co/G3366shWh1

• I once blurted out on @gmb "Theresa May hasn't been given a poisoned chalice - she's been given a poisoned chalice? https://t.co/onfRbY3XVg

• It'd be fascinating to know how history will judge Theresa May's premiership. Currently, it is hard to see it as a? https://t.co/eH77G0O9LA

• Follow Martin