Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Helen
    • By Former MSE Helen 27th Mar 12, 9:03 AM
    • 2,324Posts
    • 971Thanks
    Former MSE Helen
    0 WOW
    MSE News: Stamp prices likely to rise as cap confirmed
    • 27th Mar 12, 9:03 AM
    0 WOW
    MSE News: Stamp prices likely to rise as cap confirmed 27th Mar 12 at 9:03 AM
    This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"The price of stamps is likely to rocket after Ofcom said it'll allow Royal Mail to set its own prices for first class..."

Page 1
    • Sue-UU
    • By Sue-UU 27th Mar 12, 9:22 AM
    • 8,814 Posts
    • 49,428 Thanks
    Sue-UU
    • 27th Mar 12, 9:22 AM
    • 27th Mar 12, 9:22 AM
    This is an absolute disgrace and should not be allowed! I'm sure this sort of hike will spell the end to Christmas cards - it certainly will for me as I just can't afford that sort of cost.

Ofcom should be ashamed of themselves for allowing Royal Mail to charge what they like, how many firms get to do that!! I'm sure their days are numbered - so too are the jobs of many of their workers surely!

Sue
    Sealed Pot Challenge 001 My Totals = 08 = £163.95 09 = £315.78 10 = £518.80 11 = £481.87 12 = £694.53 13 = £1200.20! 14 = £881 15 = £839.21 16 = £870.48 17 = £871.52 18 = £800.00 Grand Totals of all members (2008 uncounted) 2009 = £32.154.32! 2010 = £37.581.47! 2011 = £42.474.34! 2012 = £49.759.46! 2013 = £50.642.78! 2014 = £61.367.88!! 2015 = £52.852.06! 2016 = £52, 002.40!! 2017 = £50,456.23!! 2018 = £47, 815.88!!!!

• brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 27th Mar 12, 9:33 AM
    • 5,611 Posts
    • 2,493 Thanks
    brewerdave
    • 27th Mar 12, 9:33 AM
    • 27th Mar 12, 9:33 AM
    This is an absolute disgrace and should not be allowed! I'm sure this sort of hike will spell the end to Christmas cards - it certainly will for me as I just can't afford that sort of cost.

Sue
    Originally posted by Sue-UU
    ..and the charities will suffer because people won't buy cards!!
    • Reaper
    • By Reaper 27th Mar 12, 10:15 AM
    • 6,569 Posts
    • 4,920 Thanks
    Reaper
    • 27th Mar 12, 10:15 AM
    • 27th Mar 12, 10:15 AM
    So Royal Mail react to falling volumes by drastically upping their prices? Sounds daft to me. They are more likely to hasten the end of snail mail than save it.

I predict a boom in e-cards next Christmas.
    • whatmichaelsays
    • By whatmichaelsays 27th Mar 12, 10:34 AM
    • 2,836 Posts
    • 5,255 Thanks
    whatmichaelsays
    • 27th Mar 12, 10:34 AM
    • 27th Mar 12, 10:34 AM
    Ofcom should be ashamed of themselves for allowing Royal Mail to charge what they like, how many firms get to do that!!
    Every business in the country?
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
    • whatmichaelsays
    • By whatmichaelsays 27th Mar 12, 10:35 AM
    • 2,836 Posts
    • 5,255 Thanks
    whatmichaelsays
    • 27th Mar 12, 10:35 AM
    • 27th Mar 12, 10:35 AM
    Am I the only one who thinks that Royal Mail is the last bargain left on earth? For 60p, a huge operation of planes, trains, automobiles and staff will deliver a letter, overnight, anywhere in the country?

How far does a 60p train ticket get you these days?

Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
    • custardy
    • By custardy 27th Mar 12, 10:38 AM
    • 34,614 Posts
    • 29,323 Thanks
    custardy
    • 27th Mar 12, 10:38 AM
    • 27th Mar 12, 10:38 AM

Ofcom should be ashamed of themselves for allowing Royal Mail to charge what they like, how many firms get to do that!! I'm sure their days are numbered - so too are the jobs of many of their workers surely!

Sue
    So Sue
    whats your answer

do you know what downstream access is?
    do you have an answer for making up lost revenue?
    their 'many workers' number drop every year. whats your point?

So Royal Mail react to falling volumes by drastically upping their prices? Sounds daft to me. They are more likely to hasten the end of snail mail than save it.

I predict a boom in e-cards next Christmas.
    Originally posted by Reaper

Does RM only work at Christmas?
    • Rupert Bear
    • By Rupert Bear 27th Mar 12, 10:52 AM
    • 1,267 Posts
    • 630 Thanks
    Rupert Bear
    • 27th Mar 12, 10:52 AM
    Well if it helps support some of the deadwood in Royal Mail then it has to be a good!!!!!
    • tifo
    • By tifo 27th Mar 12, 10:52 AM
    • 1,186 Posts
    • 262 Thanks
    tifo
    Will they improve their delivery service as well ??

At the moment, with modernisation since Feb, my post can come any time between 11am and 5pm .... usually it's around 2pm. This is in contrast to before Feb when it used to come around 10.30am all the time. I don't see that as an improvement. All the postmen/women seem to have small red vans they drive around. It can't be that efficient with the prices of insurance and fuel these days.

And delivery is slow .... letters I send get there 3 to 4 days later and more are lost.
    • custardy
    • By custardy 27th Mar 12, 10:55 AM
    • 34,614 Posts
    • 29,323 Thanks
    custardy
    Will they improve their delivery service as well ??

At the moment, with modernisation since Feb, my post can come any time between 11am and 5pm .... usually it's around 2pm. This is in contrast to before Feb when it used to come around 10.30am all the time. I don't see that as an improvement. All the postmen/women seem to have small red vans they drive around. It can't be that efficient with the prices of insurance and fuel these days.

And delivery is slow .... letters I send get there 3 to 4 days later and more are lost.
    Originally posted by tifo
    you even use RMs terminology
    what do you think they mean by modernisation?
    Its an increase in workload and a cut in staff levels. nothing about improving anything
    Park & loop is RMs 'answer'
    I could list dozens of news storys on its failings
    PS RM dont pay insurance,they self insure
    • tifo
    • By tifo 27th Mar 12, 11:04 AM
    • 1,186 Posts
    • 262 Thanks
    tifo
    you even use RMs terminology
    what do you think they mean by modernisation?
    Originally posted by custardy
    Yes, they sent me a long letter on 'modernisation' and the improvements it will give me. So far i'm waiting.

All that extra driving in more vans around can't be good for their carbon footprint ....
    • custardy
    • By custardy 27th Mar 12, 11:09 AM
    • 34,614 Posts
    • 29,323 Thanks
    custardy
    Yes, they sent me a long letter on 'modernisation' and the improvements it will give me. So far i'm waiting.

All that extra driving in more vans around can't be good for their carbon footprint ....
    Originally posted by tifo
    don't get me started
    I was part of a park & poop 'modernisation
    duties are too long
    not correctly planned
    on my own duty,I had the problem of park & poop with no parking
    the key issue is the computer is king.
    if the computer says it can be done then no excuses are accepted
    I doubt any post 'modernisation' customer woul say they have felt an improvement
    • Windows
    • By Windows 27th Mar 12, 11:15 AM
    • 47 Posts
    • 59 Thanks
    Windows
    This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"The price of stamps is likely to rocket after Ofcom said it'll allow Royal Mail to set its own prices for first class..."

Originally posted by MSE Helen
    It is no longer "likely to rise" as:

From the BBC website:

"A first-class stamp will rise in price from 46p to 60p from 30 April"

"A second-class stamp will go up from 36p to 50p"

So 14p on each 1st and 2nd class stamp; that is a BIG increase. For sure stock up NOW; Superdrug are still doing 5% off 1st and 2nd class stamps until 10th April (so I was told at Peterborough's Superdrug).
    • KxMx
    • By KxMx 27th Mar 12, 11:26 AM
    • 7,610 Posts
    • 11,166 Thanks
    KxMx
    Any word on packet prices or Airmail?
    • custardy
    • By custardy 27th Mar 12, 11:30 AM
    • 34,614 Posts
    • 29,323 Thanks
    custardy
    Any word on packet prices or Airmail?
    Originally posted by KxMx
    could have just looked on the RM site

http://www.royalmail.com/sites/default/files/Royal_Mail_Our_Prices.pdf
    • WestonDave
    • By WestonDave 27th Mar 12, 11:36 AM
    • 5,038 Posts
    • 8,521 Thanks
    WestonDave
    I wonder what the legality is of setting up a franking service! Prices for franked mail after the rise will be 44p first class and 31p second class, so 16p and 19p cheaper for franked mail. Makes sense as RM knows that most mail is now business generated so its safer for them to go hardest at the people who rarely use RM, and cushion its regular users to avoid losing them - particularly as business users are also probably better placed to switch to other carriers which just makes RM's problem worse when they have to deliver the final stage!
    Adventure before Dementia!
    • KxMx
    • By KxMx 27th Mar 12, 11:39 AM
    • 7,610 Posts
    • 11,166 Thanks
    KxMx
    Originally posted by custardy

No need to be sarcastic. I did look but obviously not in the right place as I didn't see it.
    • custardy
    • By custardy 27th Mar 12, 11:50 AM
    • 34,614 Posts
    • 29,323 Thanks
    custardy
    I wonder what the legality is of setting up a franking service! Prices for franked mail after the rise will be 44p first class and 31p second class, so 16p and 19p cheaper for franked mail. Makes sense as RM knows that most mail is now business generated so its safer for them to go hardest at the people who rarely use RM, and cushion its regular users to avoid losing them - particularly as business users are also probably better placed to switch to other carriers which just makes RM's problem worse when they have to deliver the final stage!
    Originally posted by WestonDave
    services like that already exist.
    Im not really sure what you mean by the rest of your post?
    DSA prices are regulator set
    RM has no control over that.
    • custardy
    • By custardy 27th Mar 12, 11:52 AM
    • 34,614 Posts
    • 29,323 Thanks
    custardy
    No need to be sarcastic. I did look but obviously not in the right place as I didn't see it.
    Originally posted by KxMx

prices>2012

http://www.royalmail.com/customer-service/terms-and-conditions/tariff-2011
    • KxMx
    • By KxMx 27th Mar 12, 11:58 AM
    • 7,610 Posts
    • 11,166 Thanks
    KxMx
    Like I said, I obviously didn't look in the right place! Sheesh.

Did have a panic about having to go out and stock up before next week, but then I realised i've got until the 30th April. Not on top form today, tend to be a bit fuzzy after pain flare-ups like yesterday lol.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

362Posts Today

6,406Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • A brilliant and gripping profile of Boris Johnson by the great @JPonpolitics well worth the 15 minute read https://t.co/odelHYEbRg

• Boris Johnson is now going to be our prime minister. Worth a pause for thought, whatever your political persuasion.

• Boy they're dragging out this #conservativeleadership announcement.Three introducers now each grabbing air time. Get on with it please!

• Follow Martin