Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Helen
    • By Former MSE Helen 16th Mar 12, 3:16 PM
    • 2,324Posts
    • 971Thanks
    Former MSE Helen
    0 WOW
    MSE News: Better-off switch to value brands
    • 16th Mar 12, 3:16 PM
    0 WOW
    MSE News: Better-off switch to value brands 16th Mar 12 at 3:16 PM
    This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"Many above-average income earners have been forced to switch to buying value or own-label brands to make ends meet ..."

Read the full story:
    Better-off switch to value brands

Page 1
    • richardw
    • By richardw 16th Mar 12, 3:46 PM
    • 18,965 Posts
    • 8,003 Thanks
    richardw
    • 16th Mar 12, 3:46 PM
    • 16th Mar 12, 3:46 PM
    It's easy to do, just keep the branded Gold instant coffee jar and when empty replace the coffee with own brand Gold coffee and throw the branded empty coffee jar away, thus retaining the brand and making ends meet.
    Last edited by richardw; 16-03-2012 at 4:44 PM.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • Dave_C
    • 16th Mar 12, 4:34 PM
    • 16th Mar 12, 4:34 PM
    During the last year, we have noticed that the Aldi Car park has gradually been getting full and there are are a lot more people in-store - as witnessed by the number of tills in use. Before parking was easy and less people in store.
    The credit crunch is indeed biting.
    Dave
  • Edwardia
    • 16th Mar 12, 5:37 PM
    • 16th Mar 12, 5:37 PM
    I don't believe the switch to own brand is so simple.

Whereas I might have bought a Bosch fridge in Argos, now that Argos doesn't sell them (and there's no way I'd buy Beko) I bought John Lewis. Own brand yes but arguably a better shop and still a German-made product.

People have probably been decanting Sainsbos own brand shampoo into Body Shop bottles for years. I don't because my mother does that sort of thing and I think it's hideously Hyacinth Bucket.

I buy Lidl products and I certainly don't hide them.
    • Consumerist
    • By Consumerist 16th Mar 12, 6:41 PM
    • 5,196 Posts
    • 2,601 Thanks
    Consumerist
    • 16th Mar 12, 6:41 PM
    • 16th Mar 12, 6:41 PM
    Almost one in five (17%) in this group said they had cut back use of oil, gas and electricity during this period.
    This is bound to generate pressure on energy suppliers to increase prices.
    Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
    • Billy-no-Money
    • By Billy-no-Money 16th Mar 12, 7:00 PM
    • 320 Posts
    • 341 Thanks
    Billy-no-Money
    • 16th Mar 12, 7:00 PM
    • 16th Mar 12, 7:00 PM
    Definitely busier at our local Aldi, it's normal on a Saturday now to find the car park full. Our routine is to do our main shop in Aldi then drive a mile down the road to Lidl for some other bits. We usually see several others doing the same.

I did think it amusing watching a couple transfer everything into Sainsbury's bags in the car park last week....having packed it into Aldi bags while in the store.
    Long-haul Supporters DFW 120
    Debt @ LBM (October 2007): 55187
    Debt Now (April 2014): 0
    Debt-free-date: July April 2014
    • A. Badger
    • By A. Badger 16th Mar 12, 8:37 PM
    • 5,282 Posts
    • 6,674 Thanks
    A. Badger
    • 16th Mar 12, 8:37 PM
    • 16th Mar 12, 8:37 PM
    I suspect it's somewhat misguided advice anyway.

If the postings to this forum are anything to go by, it is the value brands that have been suffering the most heinous price rises in recent months, under the cloak of 'brand price matching' by the major supermarkets.
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 16th Mar 12, 9:49 PM
    • 6,915 Posts
    • 19,775 Thanks
    Doc N
    • 16th Mar 12, 9:49 PM
    • 16th Mar 12, 9:49 PM
    I don't believe the switch to own brand is so simple.

Whereas I might have bought a Bosch fridge in Argos, now that Argos doesn't sell them (and there's no way I'd buy Beko) I bought John Lewis. Own brand yes but arguably a better shop and still a German-made product.
    Originally posted by Edwardia
    I hope you have more luck with JL refrigeration products than we've had. Never again - we've returned to the quality that Bosch provide.

Poor Which? reviews for reliability, and that's been more than borne out by our experiences with two products. To be fair, JL were good about sorting all the problems out, but even they accept that they have a problem with their current suppliers.
    • oldvicar
    • By oldvicar 16th Mar 12, 10:45 PM
    • 1,068 Posts
    • 944 Thanks
    oldvicar
    • 16th Mar 12, 10:45 PM
    • 16th Mar 12, 10:45 PM
    Trying the cheaper versions is exactly what MSE recommends in order to spend money wisely. If a minority of the well off high income asset rich are doing this it is more likely to prove that they are sensible, rather than being forced to because they can't afford the more expensive product.

My own shopping basket is quite eclectic, and I buy from the full range of price points from the dirt cheap to the seriously luxurious. What I am always looking for is value for money, according to my own quirky value system. Quite often I do not buy a product because 'its not worth it' or 'it will be on offer next week' because I am mean, not because I can't afford it.

If the final paragraph
    Just under three in 10 (29%) of those in the successful security bracket and almost one in five (18%) of those in the exclusive lifestyles category said they are likely to or have already switched to a cheaper supermarket for their basic food shopping
    is true, then the other 70%+ of the affluent or people in poorer categories must be switching to the traditionally more expensive supermarkets. Why else are Waitrose the fastest growing supermarket and Tesco the laggards?

It is also now fashionable amongst the better off to boast about how little you have spent and what a canny shopper you are, rather than how much you have spent. I know some very affluent people who entertain each other to dinners but sometimes compete to spending as little as possible (in Waitrose) on the meal. But they don't stint themselves on wine at prices to make your eyes water .

Overall I don't agree that the article reflects a depressing state of affairs. Instead it is rather refreshing that some people are shopping sensibly. They may well subscribe to MSE.
    • LesU
    • By LesU 16th Mar 12, 11:44 PM
    • 337 Posts
    • 163 Thanks
    LesU
    Thank you Old Vicar for a breath of fresh air, in this over the top 'we're all doomed' summary of the state of our nation.
    There are too many pundits out there that are too willing to put a negative spin on certain trends in retail.
    We decided a long time ago to find and buy the cheapest branded goods wherever we could and to use the saved money to buy our luxuries in life, thus confounding the average 'expert' in retail analysis.
    • oldvicar
    • By oldvicar 17th Mar 12, 4:48 AM
    • 1,068 Posts
    • 944 Thanks
    oldvicar
    Thank you Old Vicar for a breath of fresh air
    Originally posted by LesU
    Thanks for the compliment!

I must be unwell. Normal service as curmudgeonly old cynic will be resumed as soon as possible.
    • MiserlyMartin
    • By MiserlyMartin 17th Mar 12, 4:51 PM
    • 1,904 Posts
    • 1,361 Thanks
    MiserlyMartin
    I've always bought wisely and tried not to only buy things because they are cheap but buy them because they are cheap and good. There are times when what you pay for is what you get. I'm not really surprised that finally the formally well off masses have started to live a more sensible and frugal lifestyle. It has to happen due to the adjustment in living standards and the reduction in so many peoples disposable income. Higher inflation caused by the flawed government and BoE policy, of QE and low interest rates is not helping.

Aldi is packed solid, and tesco are losing market share along with their share price value.
    • MiserlyMartin
    • By MiserlyMartin 17th Mar 12, 4:54 PM
    • 1,904 Posts
    • 1,361 Thanks
    MiserlyMartin
    I suspect it's somewhat misguided advice anyway.

If the postings to this forum are anything to go by, it is the value brands that have been suffering the most heinous price rises in recent months, under the cloak of 'brand price matching' by the major supermarkets.
    Originally posted by A. Badger
    That to be expected. If everyone is buying the cheap lines and not the normal or 'finest' lines then they can't hold them at cheaper levels forever, they have to go up.
    • Pincher
    • By Pincher 17th Mar 12, 6:25 PM
    • 6,516 Posts
    • 2,491 Thanks
    Pincher
    I have been refilling the cardboard box from Lidl with coffee filter cones from Costco. Too cheap to buy a Melitta box.
    • tyllwyd
    • By tyllwyd 17th Mar 12, 8:17 PM
    • 5,405 Posts
    • 4,393 Thanks
    tyllwyd
    My OH is just about a higher-rate taxpayer so I guess that makes us above average earnings - a couple of years ago I would always avoid the value brands, but with the price of food going up we've started buying some in the last year or so. But I agree that I have noticed them going up in price as well in the last couple of months.
    • A. Badger
    • By A. Badger 17th Mar 12, 9:19 PM
    • 5,282 Posts
    • 6,674 Thanks
    A. Badger
    That to be expected. If everyone is buying the cheap lines and not the normal or 'finest' lines then they can't hold them at cheaper levels forever, they have to go up.
    Originally posted by MiserlyMartin
    I think you are being too charitable. There's not much 'have' about it - rather, an awful lot of market gameplay by the major supermarkets.
    • lollipopsarah
    • By lollipopsarah 17th Mar 12, 9:23 PM
    • 1,294 Posts
    • 1,660 Thanks
    lollipopsarah
    I had to laugh when coming out of Lidl last week I saw a lovely Jaguar in the car park - and yes I would love to go round the block in it!
    x
  • anna d
    I've definitely noticed a lot more well dressed (in business suits etc) people loading up on value brands in my supermarkets.
    That said, I still see people loading their trolleys with the big brands, spending 200+ each time and I wonder how on earth they can afford it.
    • Pincher
    • By Pincher 18th Mar 12, 1:53 AM
    • 6,516 Posts
    • 2,491 Thanks
    Pincher
    There is a flip side to this.

I bought a Bosch WAQ28460GB washing machine from Costco in August 2011, because:

John Lewis ~480
    Costco ~420

Now John Lewis is selling it at 419, with 50 cashback.

At 369, why would anybody buy a Hoover or Hotpoint?

So, if we are not talking groceries, maybe the trend is trading UP the brands.
  • pqrdef
    Thought it was amusing when Sainsburys started saying on their value lines just what was supposed to be wrong with them.

But I didn't mind my tinned peach slices being odd sizes. Never had a problem with Tesco value lines either.

But I tried some at Asda and they all seemed to be made of cardboard, whether they were ginger nuts, sausages or toilet paper.

Sometimes it's too obvious where corners have been cut. You can feel the cynicism.

However, I do think it's a shame that the rich didn't spend more at Netto sooner. It might have still been with us.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,187Posts Today

6,934Users online

Martin's Twitter