Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Helen
    • By Former MSE Helen 16th Mar 12, 9:22 AM
    • 2,324Posts
    • 971Thanks
    Former MSE Helen
    MSE News: Cineworld first big cinema chain to axe payment charges
    • 16th Mar 12, 9:22 AM
    MSE News: Cineworld first big cinema chain to axe payment charges 16th Mar 12 at 9:22 AM
    This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"Filmgoers in England and Wales will no longer be charged card fees when buying cinema tickets at Cineworld..."

Page 1
    • corbyboy
    • By corbyboy 16th Mar 12, 9:28 AM
    • 1,137 Posts
    • 1,378 Thanks
    corbyboy
    • 16th Mar 12, 9:28 AM
    • 16th Mar 12, 9:28 AM
    Any company that adds on a surcharge per item rather than one for the whole order is clearly profitering from credit card fees.

It was a significant extra charge for cinema tickets and I am glad it's going.
    • Bibbleq
    • By Bibbleq 16th Mar 12, 10:17 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Bibbleq
    • 16th Mar 12, 10:17 AM
    "pay to print at home"
    • 16th Mar 12, 10:17 AM
    Great, now can they take a crack at "Ticketmaster" and their charge to let you use your own printer ink & paper to "Print your own tickets" when you book an event...
    • nomoneytoday
    • By nomoneytoday 16th Mar 12, 12:26 PM
    • 4,768 Posts
    • 2,883 Thanks
    nomoneytoday
    • 16th Mar 12, 12:26 PM
    • 16th Mar 12, 12:26 PM
    Hopefully Odeon will follow suite. If not, then my 7 will go to Cineworld
    • Twiddy
    • By Twiddy 16th Mar 12, 2:24 PM
    • 145 Posts
    • 387 Thanks
    Twiddy
    • 16th Mar 12, 2:24 PM
    • 16th Mar 12, 2:24 PM
    Whens it happening does anybody know, is it immediate?
    Current Mortgage: 113,829
    Standard MF Date: May 2030
    MFW Target Date: Jun 2023
    On Target to complete: Feb 2027
    • BNU
    • By BNU 16th Mar 12, 3:13 PM
    • 502 Posts
    • 174 Thanks
    BNU
    • 16th Mar 12, 3:13 PM
    • 16th Mar 12, 3:13 PM
    By now surely paying by card is pretty much the norm. Why can't ALL companies just calculate their prices to incorporate all costs?

Or include it as standard and give a discount for cash?

Booking fees for gigs should be next. Why should we be charged again when there is plenty of profit within the ticket price? And if there isn't then they just aren't pricing it properly!

I can resist everything except temptation.
    Oscar Wilde
  • balluji
    • 16th Mar 12, 3:43 PM
    ...but price increased!!!
    • 16th Mar 12, 3:43 PM
    my local cineworld was 8.80 per ticket, now 9.60!!! fee was 50p.
    ...but less 10% for logging in = 8.64

so it's now more costly to buy at the cinema!
    • BNU
    • By BNU 16th Mar 12, 3:51 PM
    • 502 Posts
    • 174 Thanks
    BNU
    • 16th Mar 12, 3:51 PM
    • 16th Mar 12, 3:51 PM
    so it's now more costly to buy at the cinema!
    Originally posted by balluji
    Should keep the queues down a bit!

I can resist everything except temptation.
    Oscar Wilde
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 16th Mar 12, 4:53 PM
    • 35,385 Posts
    • 22,335 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 16th Mar 12, 4:53 PM
    • 16th Mar 12, 4:53 PM
    Originally posted by Twiddy

The email i received today says the booking fee is cut from today.
    Last edited by DCFC79; 16-03-2012 at 5:19 PM.
  • -abcde
    Originally posted by Twiddy
    Yes.

Should keep the queues down a bit!
    Originally posted by BNU
    Doubt it. You still need to queue to get the ticket. Yeah, you can use the quick pay machines, but the cineworld I work at, they always breakdown. Last Saturday we had 1 out of 4 working, with 2 people on box-office.

The whole idea is to get people to buy there tickets from the conessions area, we customers will be upsold popcorn and the like.

Cineworld has no plans to increase the cost of tickets as a result, while customers who sign up online to its free Mycineworld club also receive a further 10% off the ticket price when booking online.
    BS! My cineworld upped there prices today. 10 after 5pm to see a 2D film - but it's still cheaper to book online.
    • Kite2010
    • By Kite2010 16th Mar 12, 8:49 PM
    • 4,170 Posts
    • 3,558 Thanks
    Kite2010
    I wonder how long the discount will last for booking online, after-all the cinemas make most of their money selling over-priced popcorn & drinks, if more people buy online then there is less of a reason for them to visit the ticket office/popcorn stand.

Cineworld will just make their money back by slowly putting up the price of a standard ticket so that it will include the 70p fee.
  • Honeydog
    The Unlimited card is the best way to beat the high prices. Even though that has gone up in recent years it is still a bargain if you go to the cinema frequently and take your own sweets (if you must have them).

I had a guest with me tonight and did the online booking for her. Very smooth and easy process.
    Last edited by Honeydog; 17-03-2012 at 1:12 AM.
    Don't grow up. Its a trap!

Peace, love and labradors!
    • jules888
    • By jules888 17th Mar 12, 6:35 AM
    • 530 Posts
    • 374 Thanks
    jules888
    What i would like to know is as an unlimited card holder have they dropped the fee of 1.50 per ticket booking fee for us.Cant find this out on website.
  • -abcde
    What i would like to know is as an unlimited card holder have they dropped the fee of 1.50 per ticket booking fee for us.Cant find this out on website.
    Originally posted by jules888
    There is NO 1.50 booking fee. You only pay an up-lift of 1.50 if you want to see a 3D film.

I wonder how long the discount will last for booking online, after-all the cinemas make most of their money selling over-priced popcorn & drinks, if more people buy online then there is less of a reason for them to visit the ticket office/popcorn stand.

Cineworld will just make their money back by slowly putting up the price of a standard ticket so that it will include the 70p fee.
    Originally posted by Kite2010
    Customers still need to visit the ticket stands/concessions stands to get there tickets. Booking online does not mean you dont need a ticket. You still will need to queue to get the ticket.
    • Helix
    • By Helix 17th Mar 12, 3:21 PM
    • 2,325 Posts
    • 1,410 Thanks
    Helix
    If the discount applies on the mobile apps then you are now better off paying through your phone whilst you are there than paying at the box office.
  • funnyguy
    Now they have got to deal with the 087 phone nos..
    • MiserlyMartin
    • By MiserlyMartin 17th Mar 12, 6:04 PM
    • 1,929 Posts
    • 1,389 Thanks
    MiserlyMartin

BS! My cineworld upped there prices today. 10 after 5pm to see a 2D film - but it's still cheaper to book online.
    Originally posted by -abcde
    I was about to say good news they dropped the surcharges but now I've read that... 10 is shocking. I don't suppose they'll add the fee onto the popcorn etc which is already about the price the tickets if you are buying for a whole family... will they?
    • jules888
    • By jules888 17th Mar 12, 6:34 PM
    • 530 Posts
    • 374 Thanks
    jules888
    Thanks abcde.Thats good news if thats right about unlimited cards.I knew about the charge for 3d films and wont pay it.
    • Kite2010
    • By Kite2010 17th Mar 12, 6:52 PM
    • 4,170 Posts
    • 3,558 Thanks
    Kite2010
    There is NO 1.50 booking fee. You only pay an up-lift of 1.50 if you want to see a 3D film.

Customers still need to visit the ticket stands/concessions stands to get there tickets. Booking online does not mean you dont need a ticket. You still will need to queue to get the ticket.
    Originally posted by -abcde
    Doesn't Cineworld have machines at the entrance where you can pop your card in and it prints the tickets off for you?
    • lemontart
    • By lemontart 18th Mar 12, 6:54 AM
    • 5,831 Posts
    • 7,416 Thanks
    lemontart
    great start lets hope it moves on to others
    I am responsible me, myself and I alone I am not the keeper others thoughts and words.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

18Posts Today

3,871Users online

Martin's Twitter