Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Helen
    • By Former MSE Helen 13th Mar 12, 12:32 PM
    • 2,324Posts
    • 971Thanks
    Former MSE Helen
    MSE News: British Gas to add comparison tables to energy bills
    • 13th Mar 12, 12:32 PM
    MSE News: British Gas to add comparison tables to energy bills 13th Mar 12 at 12:32 PM
    This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"The giant will add details of its top tariffs from April to show cheaper options, but won't include rivals' deals ..."

Page 1
  • Plushchris
    • 13th Mar 12, 12:49 PM
    • 13th Mar 12, 12:49 PM
    "Statements will show in pounds and pence the amount of energy used in the previous year, the forecast for the next six months, and based on that estimate, what they would pay on another tariff."

Why go from a year to six months??

Bit pointless doing a comparison on six months usage is it not?

So in April people will get a comparison based on the six months over the summer when usage is lowest then get stung in the winter when the usage goes up.
    Missing Tesco R&R since Feb '07 & now a "Tesco veteran" apparently!
    • SnowMan
    • By SnowMan 13th Mar 12, 1:14 PM
    • 3,185 Posts
    • 5,929 Thanks
    SnowMan
    • 13th Mar 12, 1:14 PM
    • 13th Mar 12, 1:14 PM
    A much clearer approach would be to simplify their tarriffs so that (say) variable rate customers in identical circumstances paid the same for their gas and electricity.

Having large numbers of tarriffs and then having comparisons to show cheaper tarriffs customers could move to is pretty ridiculous if you think about it.

It seems like a deliberate attempt by Ian Peters to confuse the situation rather than an ongoing commitment to the obvious solution of simplifying tarriffs and reducing the number of tarriffs.

To be fair to British Gas they did simplify their tarriffs back in November. I just don't like the emphasis of their latest comments.

With the simplest tarriff system all that should be required on bills would be simple statements showing how customers could reduce their bills such as:

'you are currently not paying by direct debit, if you pay by direct debit we will give you an x% discount or about z based on last year's bills'
    'if you switch to managing your account on-line we will give you a discount of y'
    Last edited by SnowMan; 13-03-2012 at 1:33 PM.
    I came, I saw, I melted
    • victor2
    • By victor2 13th Mar 12, 1:22 PM
    • 4,939 Posts
    • 3,312 Thanks
    victor2
    • 13th Mar 12, 1:22 PM
    • 13th Mar 12, 1:22 PM
    "Statements will show in pounds and pence the amount of energy used in the previous year, the forecast for the next six months, and based on that estimate, what they would pay on another tariff."

Why go from a year to six months??

Bit pointless doing a comparison on six months usage is it not?

So in April people will get a comparison based on the six months over the summer when usage is lowest then get stung in the winter when the usage goes up.
    Originally posted by Plushchris
    Exactly!
    You have to ask what BG are hoping to take their customers for. Perhaps they are thinking customers will look at the cost for the last year, see a range of costs for the next 6 months (which one would hope are lower) and think "look at these deals with BG, I'd better stay with them."
  • Plushchris
    • 13th Mar 12, 1:59 PM
    • 13th Mar 12, 1:59 PM
    Exactly!
    You have to ask what BG are hoping to take their customers for. Perhaps they are thinking customers will look at the cost for the last year, see a range of costs for the next 6 months (which one would hope are lower) and think "look at these deals with BG, I'd better stay with them."
    Originally posted by victor2
    The sad fact is there will be thousands (if not millions) that get taken in by it..
    Missing Tesco R&R since Feb '07 & now a "Tesco veteran" apparently!
  • Airmike23
    • 13th Mar 12, 2:48 PM
    • 13th Mar 12, 2:48 PM
    You do realise all this talk of "simplifying tariffs" means the power company makes more money and we have less choice in terms of cost and there for reduced savings between the power co's ultimately making it an almost pointless exercise to switch and thus have an open energy market, we might as well go back to gas and electric boards!
    • Consumerist
    • By Consumerist 13th Mar 12, 3:00 PM
    • 5,221 Posts
    • 2,606 Thanks
    Consumerist
    • 13th Mar 12, 3:00 PM
    • 13th Mar 12, 3:00 PM
    Ian Peters, the firm's managing director of energy, says: " . . . If other energy suppliers follow our lead, even more customers will reap the benefit."
    Without commenting on the specifics of BG's approach, where is the regulator on this? Why aren't all the energy suppliers compelled to provide comparisons among their tariffs?

Edit
    It occurs to me that nPower adds new tariffs so often that the bill might be eight feet long. . Scary!
    Last edited by Consumerist; 13-03-2012 at 3:06 PM.
    Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
    • davidgmmafan
    • By davidgmmafan 13th Mar 12, 10:10 PM
    • 1,446 Posts
    • 522 Thanks
    davidgmmafan
    • 13th Mar 12, 10:10 PM
    • 13th Mar 12, 10:10 PM
    "To be fair to British Gas they did simplify their tarriffs back in November. I just don't like the emphasis of their latest comments.

With the simplest tarriff system all that should be required on bills would be simple statements showing how customers could reduce their bills such as:

'you are currently not paying by direct debit, if you pay by direct debit we will give you an x% discount or about z based on last year's bills'
    'if you switch to managing your account on-line we will give you a discount of y'"

If they did this the cynic in me imagines all the people who may comment that its a scandal that they are penalised for NOT having direct debit or paperless billing...
    Mixed Martial Arts is the greatest sport known to mankind and anyone who says it is 'a bar room brawl' has never trained in it and has no idea what they are talking about.
    • Consumerist
    • By Consumerist 11th Apr 12, 10:58 AM
    • 5,221 Posts
    • 2,606 Thanks
    Consumerist
    • 11th Apr 12, 10:58 AM
    • 11th Apr 12, 10:58 AM
    Does Clegg read this forum?

From BBC Teletext Business News:

Energy companies will be required to let customers know what their best deal is, in a move which ministers say could save households up to 100 a year. Firms will be obliged to tell people about the most suitable tariff for them and to offer it if they request it.
    About time too, if you ask me.
    Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,407Posts Today

7,217Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the weekend, it's the weekend, yay. It's that moment, when as usual, to sign off for family time. So I bid y? https://t.co/2RYRnz3fEe

• Actually the BBC was set up to "educate, entertain and inform" so I think it is one of its responsibilities and cle? https://t.co/HMP4Q2Uptu

• Today's FRI twitter poll: Puritanical new laws by Tories/Labour/EU/Trump/Putin (pick ur own scapegoat) dictate mode? https://t.co/3LW55tFGJ9

• Follow Martin