Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Martin
    • By MSE Martin 11th May 05, 11:19 AM
    • 8,111Posts
    • 42,248Thanks
    MSE Martin
    0 WOW
    Great 'what Shops Don't Want Us To Know" Hunt
    • 11th May 05, 11:19 AM
    0 WOW
    Great 'what Shops Don't Want Us To Know" Hunt 11th May 05 at 11:19 AM
    This Hunt calls on shop workers to collate the secrets the high street (and internet) stores wouldn't want us as customers to know. Can we haggle? What do consumers do wrong? How can we get better prices?

If you work in a shop please add your tips here.

Last edited by Former MSE Natasha; 25-07-2006 at 2:43 PM.
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.

Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.

Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
Page 1
  • OVERTHEODDS
    • 11th May 05, 1:28 PM
    • 11th May 05, 1:28 PM
    Excellent idea. I work part time for a large supermarket and will dig up my customer service training manual to let you know what you should know, that they don't want you to know.
  • tullula
    • 11th May 05, 1:33 PM
    • 11th May 05, 1:33 PM
    A friend works in Thomas Cook and told me they charge basically what they want on discounted hols. Apparently one guy paid nearly 500 over the odds for a holiday. Will I get in trouble posting this .
    • Katgoddess
    • By Katgoddess 11th May 05, 1:34 PM
    • 1,797 Posts
    • 1,426 Thanks
    Katgoddess
    • 11th May 05, 1:34 PM
    • 11th May 05, 1:34 PM
    I work for a supermarket but I don't think I'm going to be brave enough to post stuff.

My profit share is in jeopardy.

I'll see what others post first...
    "A baby will make love stronger, days shorter, nights longer, bankroll smaller, home happier, clothes shabbier, the past forgotten, and the future worth living for."
    • cosmokramer2004
    • By cosmokramer2004 11th May 05, 4:34 PM
    • 213 Posts
    • 46 Thanks
    cosmokramer2004
    • 11th May 05, 4:34 PM
    • 11th May 05, 4:34 PM
    an anonymous form of posting to this thread is what's required, since it's likely that a lot of "tips" will be confidential. If anyone wants to, they can PM the tips to me and I'll re-post them here in an anonymous way..
  • p4psb
    • 11th May 05, 4:55 PM
    • 11th May 05, 4:55 PM
    My partner used to work for a lighting shop. They doubled (at least) the price of everything they got in before selling it to customers. VAT was then added.
    In addition they had a sale all year!
  • Edinburghlass
    • 11th May 05, 4:57 PM
    • 11th May 05, 4:57 PM
    My partner used to work for a lighting shop. They doubled (at least) the price of everything they got in before selling it to customers. VAT was then added.
    In addition they had a sale all year!
    by p4psb
    That is the general rule of thumb for pricing
  • James Bond
    • 11th May 05, 5:19 PM
    • 11th May 05, 5:19 PM
    I've heard that various "GAME" and other similar shops can sell pre-owned games for whatever they want aslong as they make at least 40% profit. So if more than 40% profit is made, the workers get a share. So I guess it's worth haggling in these types of shops, although I'm haven't tried it myself.

Rgds,

James Bond
    The Name's Bond James Bond
  • pdrg
    • 11th May 05, 5:21 PM
    • 11th May 05, 5:21 PM
    Bit of an obvious one, but extended warranties...the assistant will push and push you to take one as the shop manager's bonus is paid on his store having a 10% take in warranties (certain large elecrical chain). I once had to sell a 40 warranty on a WALKMAN (admittedly a better than average walkman, but still, that was outrageous).

If, for some perverse reason, you *do* want an extended warranty from a large store, use it as a bartering point - as they are so desparate to get the 10% sales value on warranties, managers will often discount the goods heavily just to get you to sign for the overpriced warranty.
  • pdrg
    Oh, and I used to work at a holiday park where the only access between the bars and the real outside world was through the 'amusements'. A boss of mine was a smart chap, and one hour before the bar closed he'd swap all the 5 notes in the till for 1 coins - so you'd get all your change in coins.

This worked 2 ways -
    1) the kids of our upmarket guests would whine and pester their drunk parents for coins to play the games and likely as not gamble away on the penny falls
    2) as the amusements closed 30 mins after kicking out time, there were always plenty of bulging uncomfy pockets as the adults had to weave their way through the flashing lights...

Not a moneysaving tip per. se., more a jfyi
  • Lucie
    No "insider info" to share, but I have learnt that most tele-sales (insurance etc) have a discretionary % discount which they are allowed to offer. Usually 10%. They will never offer you this discount unless you ask for a better price. So the next time you get a quote for car/home/whatever insurance over the phone, just ask if that's the best price they can do or are they able to reduce it slightly?

If you don't ask you don't get.............
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 16-05-2005 at 11:50 AM.
    • purplegirluk1
    • By purplegirluk1 11th May 05, 6:36 PM
    • 1,457 Posts
    • 958 Thanks
    purplegirluk1
    If you buy a coffe in Mcdonalds you are entitled to as many free refills as you like as long as you use the same cup! Don't like coffe or Mcdonalds but its a little known fact that always seems to confuse the staff but its in their hand book and most managers know about it :-)
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 16-05-2005 at 11:52 AM.
    • jellyhead
    • By jellyhead 11th May 05, 6:48 PM
    • 20,889 Posts
    • 24,217 Thanks
    jellyhead
    depends on the mcdonalds to be honest. if it's their nasty filter coffee that's been sitting on the hotplate for a few hours then yes they will refill for free, but if they have the new machine that grinds the beans fresh for each cup then you won't get a free refill.
    52% tight
    • vaderag
    • By vaderag 11th May 05, 7:10 PM
    • 265 Posts
    • 58 Thanks
    vaderag
    I've heard that various "GAME" and other similar shops can sell pre-owned games for whatever they want aslong as they make at least 40% profit. So if more than 40% profit is made, the workers get a share. So I guess it's worth haggling in these types of shops, although I'm haven't tried it myself.

Rgds,

James Bond
    by James Bond

Thats not true - i used to work in game. How it works is that a game is traded in, and we usually give approx a 3rd of the fill retail price (although this varies by condition/game etc - we have a list) Then we sell it on at a set price according to the list. The workers dont get any share of the sales.

However, if we buy one with our staff discount, we get it for 1.5 times the trade in price. This means, that if you trade in a pile of games, and there is something a memeber of staff wants there, they will probably stick that as 1 or 2 and add an extra quid onto each of the others so that they can buy the game for <3 !

The pricing system on pre-owned games for customers however cannot be changed as there is a comparison list for what you trade it in at and what you sell it at, and if there is a discrepancy on the system, there is trouble. The only people with the authority to change things are the managers.

On a slightly different point, there was much word of an automated trade-in pricing system coming in when i left game, stopping staff doing this fiddle, although i dont know when thats going to happen.

My only point of advice on this is that you will probably get slightly more trade in value if you trade in separately to if you trade in a pile of games, although if you ask what you are getting for each one you should be fine. There is a slim chance that you may be able to haggle your trade in price up by a pound or two if you keep at it, but it depends on the member of staff - we get alot of people trying it on all the time, so usually dont have the patience!!!

Hope thats interesting to someone!!
  • James Bond
    Sorry it wasn't true , but I've heard it more than once, that's all! Thanks for clearing that up though.
    The Name's Bond James Bond
    • superhoop
    • By superhoop 11th May 05, 8:05 PM
    • 288 Posts
    • 227 Thanks
    superhoop
    12 month guarantees
    Again, many MSE readers will know this...

Don't automatically assume that if an electrical item breaks after twelve months that you cannot take it back for a repair or replacement.

A retailer has to sell goods of 'reasonable' merchandisable quality. It all hangs on the word 'reasonable', but the point runs something like this:

If you buy an 800 telly and it breaks after 13 months, you would have a good case to claim that you would expect this to last longer.

You're only entitled to a full refund up to 30 days after purchase, but in this case of the telly you should be able to claim a repair or a replacement from the retailer

Mind you, if you buy a 10 walkman and try to return it after 18 months, a retailer (and a court) would likely say that the item had lasted a reasonable amount of time.

The facts can be found on the DTI (or the DPEI as its now known) website:

http://www.dti.gov.uk/ccp/topics1/facts/salegoodsact.htm

Hope this helps someone.

Steve
    Last edited by superhoop; 11-05-2005 at 8:09 PM. Reason: Link did not work
    We are QPR, say we are QPR!
    • superhoop
    • By superhoop 11th May 05, 8:16 PM
    • 288 Posts
    • 227 Thanks
    superhoop
    Debenhams & Nectar
    Apologies if this is verging on the libellous, but I hear on the grapevine that Debenhams have been trying to extract themselves from their link-up with the Nectar card loyalty scheme, and therefore are not actively asking customers for cards at the till.

I suspect this is true since:

- I haven't seen any Debenhams offers in my last couple Nectar mailings

- I was in Debenhams recently and saw NO signage or reference to Nectar, and I wasn't asked at the till on two occasions.

Don't miss your Nectar points if you shop at Debenhams!

Steve
    We are QPR, say we are QPR!
    • hellofreebies
    • By hellofreebies 11th May 05, 8:32 PM
    • 1,049 Posts
    • 696 Thanks
    hellofreebies
    this might be not be applicable to this thread but do move it if need be....do you not find it annoying when your in a shop and your buying numerous items..whether it be in a clothes shop or grocers.... when they tap tap tap on the til there is no til display of what your getting charged per each item thus you only know what price you have paid (especially when the sale or reduced items hasnt been scanned at the sale price) only when you have paid got your reciept and walked away...jjb sport have no display whats so ever..there till is like its under a glass table so they can serve on goods on top.. complained about this in jjb sports and the guy said its always been this way at this store since he started working there 4 years ago... only im sure when i was once working in a shop i was trained that by law this info must be displayed for the customers view. its just time consuming when they have priced you incorrectly and you have to go queue customer service for a refund where it could of been rectified at point of sale. i wonder how much money the shop can swindle when people dont check their reciept til there home and cant be bothered to return to refund for wasting same amount in fuel?? what do you guys think?
    • redseven
    • By redseven 11th May 05, 8:46 PM
    • 92 Posts
    • 2,366 Thanks
    redseven
    This doesn't work in all cases. I was told by a friend who worked for a highstreet camera retailer. That the stock code of second hand goods often has the price paid for it 'hidden' in the code. For example when seaching for secondhand equipment on Jessops website (they don't tell you the price) if the code for a camera was 1550427754100, the price they paid for it is stated backwards in the last 3 digits (excl. the last 2 digits - usually zeros) so the 541, shows they paid 145 for it, I think they add between 25-30% profit margin, which gives you an idea of the price they will quote you. I'm sure other retailers use the same system. They may have changed the system since I was told this (over 2 years ago), maybe someone can verify if it was/is true.
  • Edinburghlass
    That used to be the case with British Home Stores, the price was the item code backwords, this was a lot of years ago now and it has been changed.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,796Posts Today

7,351Users online

Martin's Twitter