Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 4th Jun 11, 11:19 AM
    • 9,343Posts
    • 17,889Thanks
    zippychick
    March 2012 Grocery Challenge
    • 4th Jun 11, 11:19 AM
    March 2012 Grocery Challenge 4th Jun 11 at 11:19 AM
    Hi everyone,

Welcome to the March Grocery Challenge of 2012

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your February budget, then keep on posting in the:
    Grocery Challenge - February 2012

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be 1 a week or 20 a week.

If you are currently spending 200 a month don't suddenly drop it to 100 - you'll never do it but if you cut 20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is 80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on 80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    For quidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #3, #4, #5 and #6 on this thread.

For everyones totals, see post #7 on this thread

I hope everyone has a great month!

Zip
    Last edited by squeaky; 27-02-2012 at 8:58 AM.
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

Page 28
  • Twiceblessed
    6.63 on essentials at T*sco (bar the jam doughnuts)
    0.85 on milk

so far not too bad....
    January grocery challenge 159.43/250.00
    February grocery challenge 209.53/200.00
    March grocery challenge 165.66/190
    April grocery challenge 186.27/170.00
    May grocery challenge 22.51/180.00
    • Florenceem
    • By Florenceem 7th Mar 12, 10:37 PM
    • 3,996 Posts
    • 52,590 Thanks
    Florenceem
    Wednesday.
    NSD here. We had pork & bean casserole with roast potatoes, cabbage, carrot, and onion for dinner.

Off tomorrow to the Midlands - back on Monday. Mr F is under instructions to not spend any money while I am away - let you know what happens!
    15 in 2015 1/15
    • Sue14
    • By Sue14 7th Mar 12, 10:39 PM
    • 899 Posts
    • 10,894 Thanks
    Sue14
    Didn't go shopping until Sunday in the end. Went to A!d! and spent 16.31 on groceries, would have been a couple of pounds less if I went by myself, but OH is like a kid sometimes and insists on putting 'treats' in the trolley! At least it was only a couple of packets of biscuits and 4 individual desserts, but as I'm supposed to be on a diet it's not good, lol!
    Weight loss challenge 3/10lbs
    Total weight loss 21lbs

• carolinerunner
    • By carolinerunner 7th Mar 12, 10:50 PM
    • 504 Posts
    • 6,309 Thanks
    carolinerunner
    Hi all, been MIA for a few days, just seems no time, but already over 200 for March, what is it about this month, I know I'm not alone in thikning where has it all gone already?! Also waylaid by a W'rose trip, only staples and the odd YS but almost 30, and that was on top of a 70+ Ocado shop... well stocked up with all sorts of things but nothing I can actually make into a meal! Also just had to do a 50 ish pet shop online, cat food, litter and rabbit food, plus DS shoes x 2, school stationery, printer paper... none of it's groceries but how many other budgets are there?! Also DS1 now needs specs, that's another 60 as I let him get nobbled by the lovely optician instead of dragging him to Specs@vers like I should have done... didn't have the heart to say 'no you can't have those, I can't afford it' and watch his face fall, he was so pleased with them and he could have been fed up about just having to have them at all... I was so relieved he was ok about it, I didn't want to rock the boat! Honestly!

On a positive note, have taken up Florence's idea of one square of chocolate a night - instead of 2 Rocky bars etc - but bought v posh choc (Montezuma) at WR and it's like a feast if eaten really really slowly! Honest!

Gnight all, off to update siggie when I can bear to...
    Erratically money saving
    • rising from the ashes
    • By rising from the ashes 8th Mar 12, 5:58 AM
    • 12,321 Posts
    • 59,551 Thanks
    rising from the ashes
    You should have a moan in your Ald! you are missing out as their crumpets are lovely (and cheap)
    http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/product_range/product_range_22419.htm
    Originally posted by JIL
    Ohhhh I will, thanks JIL - they've never had them in our store so just thought they didn't sell them!
    Grocery Challenge 211/455 (01/01-31/03)
    2016 Sell: 125/250
    1,000 Emergency Fund Challenge #78 3.96 / 1,000
    Vet Fund: 410.93 / 1,000
    Debt free & determined to stay that way!
  • MunniMuncha
    Hi all, been MIA for a few days, just seems no time, but already over 200 for March, what is it about this month, I know I'm not alone in thikning where has it all gone already?! Also waylaid by a W'rose trip, only staples and the odd YS but almost 30, and that was on top of a 70+ Ocado shop... well stocked up with all sorts of things but nothing I can actually make into a meal! Also just had to do a 50 ish pet shop online, cat food, litter and rabbit food, plus DS shoes x 2, school stationery, printer paper... none of it's groceries but how many other budgets are there?! Also DS1 now needs specs, that's another 60 as I let him get nobbled by the lovely optician instead of dragging him to Specs@vers like I should have done... didn't have the heart to say 'no you can't have those, I can't afford it' and watch his face fall, he was so pleased with them and he could have been fed up about just having to have them at all... I was so relieved he was ok about it, I didn't want to rock the boat! Honestly!

On a positive note, have taken up Florence's idea of one square of chocolate a night - instead of 2 Rocky bars etc - but bought v posh choc (Montezuma) at WR and it's like a feast if eaten really really slowly! Honest!

Gnight all, off to update siggie when I can bear to...
    Originally posted by carolinerunner
    Hi CR, in my experience it is better to let them have the frames they want (within reason, obviously) in order to ensure that they wear them. I have 'persuaded' my children on occasion to have a pair over the ones they really liked as they were cheaper and lo and behold, they hardly ever wore them!! And don't beat yourself up about not going to SS either, coz I have found of late that other independent opticians are just as competitive, if not better, than they are Happy Thursday
    When you were born, you were crying and everyone around was smiling. Live your life so at the end, you're the one who is smiling and everyone around you is crying!

June GC - 352.04/350
    SP challenge 3P 171.28
    • skilly
    • By skilly 8th Mar 12, 6:24 AM
    • 882 Posts
    • 10,225 Thanks
    skilly
    Morning all, spent 27. ? Something over the last 2 days will add to sig in a bit .
    27 Sealed pot challenge 3496/4706.75/5 376.74/6 645.08/ 7 861.34 /8 786.90/9610.49/10 722.03 / 11? / gold star from sue
    • Naomim
    • By Naomim 8th Mar 12, 7:59 AM
    • 1,226 Posts
    • 2,941 Thanks
    Naomim
    Morning All,

0.87p on toasting muffins to go with salmon & poached egg for last nights dinner. So pleased I managed to run in and out.

Naomi
    CC's Nov16 18,609.97 / Jun17 21032.03 Overdraft 06/17 4577.44 07/17 4505.35
    Aiming for a debt free date: April 2024
    2 savings club #26 lost count but still collecting!
    Here's my diary: A Ditherer's Diary Again
  • cleggie
    Morning!
    Spent about 38 yesterday in Mr M, but that should see me through until next Friday now! Have updated my signature already.
    • tessie bear
    • By tessie bear 8th Mar 12, 8:16 AM
    • 4,364 Posts
    • 30,028 Thanks
    tessie bear
    hi...im cross as the puter wont let me see the lidl meat offers...aint technology great....got to do a bit of peeling for tea and for lunch i am going to make felafels (from a packet) never eaten them before so will see if i like them
    need to get some chicken out of the freezer for tomorrow and have a think about meals for the weekend

take care tess
    onwards and upwards
    • carolinerunner
    • By carolinerunner 8th Mar 12, 8:58 AM
    • 504 Posts
    • 6,309 Thanks
    carolinerunner
    Thanks munnimuncha, that really cheered me up !
    Erratically money saving
    • tigerfeet2006
    • By tigerfeet2006 8th Mar 12, 9:28 AM
    • 13,826 Posts
    • 29,891 Thanks
    tigerfeet2006
    Pork with leeks, apples, creme fraiche and mustard (GF)
    Last nights dinner was a variation on a theme. I had some apples and creme fraiche that needed using up.

I chopped 450g pork up into cubes and browned it off in a little butter. Finely sliced a very large leek and chucked that in the pan. Chopped 2 red apples into eights, sliced out the core and chucked them in the pan. I added a bit more butter as it was drying out a bit. Chucked in a couple of crushed garlic cloves and a couple of tsp of dry thyme. Mixed together 300g creme fraiche and a tblsp wholegrain mustard. Popped this in the pan and stirred it through. Cooked it off for about another 5 mins or so.

Served it with buttery mash and green beans. Was enjoyed by all and had clean plates all round.

Abit pee'd off with DH though. He came in just as we were finishing off ours and served himself. The kids went through to the lounge to play on the Wii for a while and I sat with him in the dining room chatting about our day etc. I went up to supervise putting the kids to bed and then had to sit on the top of the stairs because DC2&3 didn't want to go to sleep and it was easier than going up and down the stairs. Came down about an hour later and plonked myself on the sofa to catch up with Sky+ stuff and then went to bed at 11pm. Got up this morning to find the pots still left out in the kitchen with a portion of pork, mash and beans left in them . Yes I know he is tired as he is working his butt off and is in a lot of pain with his knee but he could have told be so I could box it up Really, really pee'd off.

Got some bits from MrT, baking stuff, herbs and the Easter Eggs for my three and the three Nephews so another 30 spent.

I use my reuse-able shopping bags when I go shopping and it always surprises me the number of shoppers who are loaded up with plastic bags, whole shopping trolleys full being pushed out to their cars. It reminded me of a song by Tim Minchin (who I generally don't like but think this is brilliant) and I have been singing it in my head all morning

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVh15aUt8-c

Sorry got a bit preachy there
    BSCno.87
    The only stupid question is an unasked one
    Loving life as a Kernow Hippy
    • tigerfeet2006
    • By tigerfeet2006 8th Mar 12, 9:35 AM
    • 13,826 Posts
    • 29,891 Thanks
    tigerfeet2006
    hi...im cross as the puter wont let me see the lidl meat offers...aint technology great....got to do a bit of peeling for tea and for lunch i am going to make felafels (from a packet) never eaten them before so will see if i like them
    need to get some chicken out of the freezer for tomorrow and have a think about meals for the weekend

take care tess
    Originally posted by tessie bear
    If you like them then there is a couple of recipes in the Recipe Collection at the beginning of the thread. My lot like them.

If you want to PM me your postcode I'll have a look at the offers for you
    Last edited by tigerfeet2006; 08-03-2012 at 9:40 AM.
    BSCno.87
    The only stupid question is an unasked one
    Loving life as a Kernow Hippy
  • chips1959
    Morning challenge-ees

I havent been here in a couple of days so have just trawled through ten pages to catch up.

My approved foods delivery arrived this morning, minus some items which were apparently damaged in transit. Typically they were the items I most wanted - I wouldnt have ordered the other stuff without them. Have emailed AF asking them to re-send, but no doubt they'll just refund me

Did an online shop with Asda which was delivered yesterday costing 103.58, and did a couple of little shops with Morrissons and HB totalling 43.27. Added to the amount spent previously I'm now up to 191.19 spent so far this month, out of a possible 350. However, the cupboards are full to bursting, and I reckon I have at least a fortnights worth of bread/lunch/breakfasts and fresh stuff and a full months worth of evening meals.

I'm hoping to just top up the fresh food as I go along now. Might even come in under budget
    • tjak
    • By tjak 8th Mar 12, 10:09 AM
    • 137 Posts
    • 1,213 Thanks
    tjak
    I have updated my signature, and am really pleased with how my month is going - for once!
    I have 11 more days to go, and cupboards and fridge/freezer are well stocked.
    My veg box turned up today, haven't had one for a few weeks as we were getting fed up with swede and cabbage, but it looks good and I am about to meal plan for the week.

Managing NSDs more often now, and reading the daily digest of posts keeps me focused.
    I would like this month to come in on budget and give me a boost.
    Keep going everyone ....
    Debt free and saving
    • Gorgeestwo
    • By Gorgeestwo 8th Mar 12, 11:52 AM
    • 364 Posts
    • 5,889 Thanks
    Gorgeestwo
    Another 24 spent this morning I'm so cross with myself, I only needed Milk and some bits for school lunches tomorrow, but made the fatal mistake of not taking a list
    Anyway sig updated
    Grocery challenge : January 2016 65.86/300
    For 2 adults, 2 children (10 & 9 yrs) 3 cats & 2 dogs.

• epskie
    • By epskie 8th Mar 12, 12:31 PM
    • 182 Posts
    • 203 Thanks
    epskie
    Hello All,

I am new here and have been kindly directed to this thread. I'm not too sure how it works yet. I've just been clobbered with a 102 per month tax credit repayment bill plus a 200 per month Gas bill from Scottish Power, needless to say - something has to change; groceries it is.

For a family of 4 plus 1 dog I am going to attempt 250 per month shopping bill. I'm going to retain my receipts and try to stick to Aldi and Lidl as a rule of thumb. Any further advice would be much appreciated (as would a 'heads up' if I have the wrong end of the stick about the grocery challenge)

Many Thanks
  • elizabunny
    Hello everyone!

Fairly large shop last night 94 odd. Not too many bargains about either, usually Mr*S is quite good on a Wednesday Eve (lots of reduced bits) but nothing much at all really. It is really annoying me how the prices are creeping up. Even the offers -I find myself asking 'Was it ever that price in the first place and if it was, why, when and how did it get so high'.

Worst offenders, Tea, Coffee, Cereal, flour, cheese, spread/butter, milk and fresh juice WOW some of this is fetching over 3.50 a bottle (it must be pure gold)
    Washing Powder/Liquid/Tabs, Fabric Softner, Wash-up liquid Dishwasher tabs and I could go on (only it's boring and depressing)

My food bill seems to have doubled in a year no matter how careful I am.

Tonight I am cooking a nice Gammon joint from the local Butcher. It's looks lovely, is a reasonable size, didn't cost me an arm and a leg. It will provide at least 2 dinners plus leaving extra's for sandwiches for DHs lunch box. (Can't bear the stuff in packets nor the price)

I had a quick look along the cake section and decided no way, I am NOT paying that for that. Similar reaction to the bread section.

So now I am off to do a bit more baking and I will feel extremely resourceful and indispensible
    Sealed Pot Challenge 7 Member 022
    5:2 Diet started 28/1/2013 only 13lbs lost due to Xmas 2013 blip.
    • Need2bthrifty
    • By Need2bthrifty 8th Mar 12, 3:03 PM
    • 1,205 Posts
    • 10,117 Thanks
    Need2bthrifty
    Just popped in to update my signature, just one 6.47 shop to declare, needed eggs, milk, veg, peanut butter and scourers. I'm managing to keep shopping to a minimum, which is a good job as other commitments are going to keep me out of the shops for a while - at least the fridge & freezer are well stocked so shouldn't need to go for at least 5 days and that will probably be for bread and fresh veg/salad.

Haven't been on the thread for a while so off to catch up on ..........countless posts
    • raphanius
    • By raphanius 8th Mar 12, 3:59 PM
    • 1,269 Posts
    • 6,634 Thanks
    raphanius
    4.96 spend in sp@r on crumpets and choccie last night
    5.54 spend in m@rks on 2 lots of 3 for 10 meat, noodles, davidstow cheese and a bottle of water....daily fail moc plus l!ving soc!al ecard today
    Wins: 2008: 606.10 2009: 806.24 2010: 713.47 2011: 328.32

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

350Posts Today

4,616Users online

Martin's Twitter