Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Helen
    • By Former MSE Helen 6th Mar 12, 8:51 AM
    • 2,324Posts
    • 971Thanks
    Former MSE Helen
    MSE News: Halifax: House prices down last month but flat over the year
    • 6th Mar 12, 8:51 AM
    MSE News: Halifax: House prices down last month but flat over the year 6th Mar 12 at 8:51 AM
    This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"The average UK house price slipped 0.5% in February but is at broadly the same level as last spring ..."

Page 1
    • sprouty76
    • By sprouty76 6th Mar 12, 9:28 AM
    • 18 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    sprouty76
    • 6th Mar 12, 9:28 AM
    • 6th Mar 12, 9:28 AM
    The headline in the report itself begins with:

"Annual change: -1.9%"

Is that what they mean when they say "broadly the same level as last spring"?
    • brit1234
    • By brit1234 6th Mar 12, 7:38 PM
    • 5,191 Posts
    • 11,968 Thanks
    brit1234
    • 6th Mar 12, 7:38 PM
    • 6th Mar 12, 7:38 PM
    That's a further 1.9% fall on top of the previous years falls and top of that inflation has been around 5% making the real falls even bigger.

Over the last 2 years I have learned that flat and stagnation is media term for house price falls.

With mortgage rates going up, stamp duty back and unemployment rising 2012 is going to be a bad year for house flippers.

Scams - Shared Equity, Shared Ownership, Newbuy, Firstbuy and Help to Buy.

Save our Savers
    • leitmotif
    • By leitmotif 7th Mar 12, 9:39 AM
    • 300 Posts
    • 159 Thanks
    leitmotif
    • 7th Mar 12, 9:39 AM
    • 7th Mar 12, 9:39 AM
    Even if house prices fall considerably I won't be buying one here. Round my way (Portsmouth) I can get a poky 2-bedroom terraced house in a grotty area for 170K-190K (6-7 times national average annual salary, I believe). My kids will have to go to poor schools and I'll never get the car parked, and even if I do it will likely get vandalised.

Alternatively I can go to Germany and for the same money buy a 4-bedroom detached house in a very nice area with excellent local school and better health care. And when my kids get to university age, their education will be nigh on free, as opposed to 9K/annum over here. Housing shortage or not, it still never ceases to amaze me what Brits are willing to pay for what amounts to a box.
    Last edited by leitmotif; 07-03-2012 at 9:41 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,013Posts Today

5,769Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Mini MSE is on half term next week, so I'm excited to be taking the week off to be daddy. As normal I'm signing of? https://t.co/G3366shWh1

• I once blurted out on @gmb "Theresa May hasn't been given a poisoned chalice - she's been given a poisoned chalice? https://t.co/onfRbY3XVg

• It'd be fascinating to know how history will judge Theresa May's premiership. Currently, it is hard to see it as a? https://t.co/eH77G0O9LA

• Follow Martin