Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 4th Jun 11, 11:19 AM
    • 9,343Posts
    • 17,889Thanks
    zippychick
    March 2012 Grocery Challenge
    • 4th Jun 11, 11:19 AM
    March 2012 Grocery Challenge 4th Jun 11 at 11:19 AM
    Hi everyone,

Welcome to the March Grocery Challenge of 2012

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your February budget, then keep on posting in the:
    Grocery Challenge - February 2012

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be £1 a week or £20 a week.

If you are currently spending £200 a month don't suddenly drop it to £100 - you'll never do it but if you cut £20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is £80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on £80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    For quidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #3, #4, #5 and #6 on this thread.

For everyones totals, see post #7 on this thread

I hope everyone has a great month!

Zip
    Last edited by squeaky; 27-02-2012 at 8:58 AM.
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

Page 13
  • mumwithamission
    Just switching over from Feb thread and already I'm 12 pages behind......that's my evening sorted then (with a few grumpy comments from DH no doubt!) Got my first ROSSPA order today , and I'm so impressed with the packaging - a polystyrene coolbox (which I will re-use) with coolbag etc for fruit and veg.

Got a serious Friday feeling this pm and resorted to buying LOTS of chocolate to make me feel better - not very GC or SW friendly but don't care tonight!

• XSpender
    • By XSpender 2nd Mar 12, 3:58 PM
    • 3,410 Posts
    • 34,908 Thanks
    XSpender
    Thanks to PennyGrabber and tigerfeet for your kind words and advice about my probable diagnosis of Coeliacs disease. All booked in for the biopsy so only a couple of months to wait until I know one way or the other.

It's made me a bit down in the dumps which has had a knock on effect on my grocery budget and we have had 2 takeaways in a week as I CBA to cook

Next week's shopping has been done today and a total of £81.99 spent mainly in ALdi with a couple of bits and toiletries in Mr T and then 2 items I had forgot in Mr S. Three shops and I still forgot to get blooming batteries and I have 3 stopped clocks in the house

Last weeks total was £140.13 so this has pushed me £42.12 over where I should be. The house is groaning with food and we are well stocked up on toiletries and loo roll.

Off to the Ald1 website to check their returns policy as I chucked incontinence pads in the trolley thinking they were sanitary towels Hope they let me swap them!
    October Grocery Challenge - £277.74/£220
    • rising from the ashes
    • By rising from the ashes 2nd Mar 12, 4:07 PM
    • 12,321 Posts
    • 59,551 Thanks
    rising from the ashes
    Please do any of you have any suggestions on economical solutions to worming cats? Our two now regularly bring in little living playmates and pounce and play them to death. We have bells on their collars to warn the birds but rodents and worms apparently don't listen. They are so well-fed here they don't feel the need to eat their playmates (yet!) thank goodness but I know I'm going to have to worm them to be on the safe side. I'm OK with flea and tick treatments but no idea on worms after several previous generations of cats that preferred the range or a nice lap to catching things (they were all elderly queens and hunting was clearly beneath their dignity).
    Originally posted by Suffolk lass
    Ohhh the joys!

The largest "haul" I've come home to is 14 lined up at the back door and only one of mine can catch anything!

TBH wormers are one of the few things I really believe it's not worth "scrimping" on - you can get cheaper ones at the sm or pet shops but they either tend to not be very good ... or not "do" all the different types (sorry if TMI) - esp for profilic hunters!

The ones from the vet are much better quality and more importantly work and are only a couple £s more. HTH
    Grocery Challenge £211/£455 (01/01-31/03)
    2016 Sell: £125/£250
    £1,000 Emergency Fund Challenge #78 £3.96 / £1,000
    Vet Fund: £410.93 / £1,000
    Debt free & determined to stay that way!
    • Coxy11
    • By Coxy11 2nd Mar 12, 4:08 PM
    • 2,322 Posts
    • 27,347 Thanks
    Coxy11
    My first AF ordered arrived today. I was good and only ordered couscous, popping corn, long grain rice, Eat Natural bars, Tyrells crisps and WW crisps. Also got some Byron Bay strawberry and clotted cream cookies - oh my - they are lush, really big and sweet nomnomnom

Total cost including postage was £21 odd. Will see if any of the family notice the BB dates have passed (got rid of the cookies evidence already ).

Hoping for a NS weekend, MrT shop planned for Monday.

Have a good weekend all.
    Cross-stitch WIP: Pretty Maids in a Row
    • Spiggle
    • By Spiggle 2nd Mar 12, 4:08 PM
    • 1,751 Posts
    • 14,202 Thanks
    Spiggle
    Each month I re-read this splendid post and get more out of it. Your achievement is underplayed though Spigs you ought to put what your current budget is in brackets next to the £600 you were spending just to show off a little tiny bit
    Go you!!
    SL
    Thank you for that Suffolk lass. It's funny you say that as I was thinking today I ought to work out how much we've saved as this is my GC 2nd birthday month! I started in March 2010 and it's been a fantastic journey of discovery, inspiration and support. Everyone here is just so wonderful.

Please do any of you have any suggestions on economical solutions to worming cats? Our two now regularly bring in little living playmates and pounce and play them to death. We have bells on their collars to warn the birds but rodents and worms apparently don't listen. They are so well-fed here they don't feel the need to eat their playmates (yet!) thank goodness but I know I'm going to have to worm them to be on the safe side. I'm OK with flea and tick treatments but no idea on worms after several previous generations of cats that preferred the range or a nice lap to catching things (they were all elderly queens and hunting was clearly beneath their dignity).
    Ooh, wish I could help with that Suffolk lass but I usually get the tablet from the vet every year when my beauties have their booster jabs. I do spend a fortune on flea stuff though. Do you maen you have a MS way of dealing with fleas? Would you mind sharing please?

I'm afraid mine do eat their 'playmates' (ground animals not birds thankfully), well I say eat, half eat is more like it and I had the pleasure of sitting down at my computer with no socks on to discover the remains of one with my bare toes the other day. I was not amused but OH found it very funny apparently!

Ok, confession time, we didn't go to MrM as I'm not feeling very good and have some sort of cold type thing that's really rocking my head and neck. So instead we did an online at MrT. I went through Quidco and got the £5 off code for existing customers spending over £40, used two of the £1 off codes from the price drop online leaflet, the £10 code they gave me for my hassle trying to get Persil in January and the £9 off code that they sent through for a £60+ order plus £1.50 voucher. So £27.50 off the total means it should come in at around a £65 spend but I'll update tomorrow when it arrives.

It means though I'll have to pay full whack for my fuel next week but that's the way the cookie crumbles. As soon as OH suggested I wasn't up to it (especially as its Friday and the world and his wife will be there to get the fuel deal) I caved in and my resolve vanished. I must say I'm ever so grateful to him but I'll probably be fuming when I fill the car up next week.

Well that's enough of my rambling, keep up the great work everyone.

Take care,
    Spigs
    Mortgage Free October 2013
  • Ninno820
    Hi all - mia yesterday due to the guests arriving - it was only one night I am proud to say that we survived it without going "guest shopping". So it was another NSD yesterday without the need for more sugar!

This evening I need to pop into the Coop for a couple of staples but am hoping to make the fruity bread later and will aim to use the bread mix to make bread rather than buying a loaf - tomorrow is a sewing day so I need to take a pack up.

Tea is a pasta / philly ham combo with a ham cooked in the sc yesterday but whuch had been in the freezer since chrismas 2010. oops!

Take care everyone - off to check the cupboard for dried fruit.

ETA - Shopping update - saved on the fruit - found 3 packs! Spent £15.31 at Coop but included some whoopsied steak and kidney so its in the freezer.
    Last edited by Ninno820; 02-03-2012 at 6:25 PM.
    44 day challenge

1. Pay £650 off overdraft (£ 288/ £650)
    2. Lose 12 lbs (4.5/ 12)
    3. Use YNAB everyday (6/44)
    • rising from the ashes
    • By rising from the ashes 2nd Mar 12, 4:56 PM
    • 12,321 Posts
    • 59,551 Thanks
    rising from the ashes
    I'm afraid mine do eat their 'playmates' (ground animals not birds thankfully), well I say eat, half eat is more like it and I had the pleasure of sitting down at my computer with no socks on to discover the remains of one with my bare toes the other day. I was not amused but OH found it very funny apparently!
    Originally posted by Spiggle
    Sorry, I am chuckling away with the total understanding that only a fellow owner slave of a prolific hunter could totally understand
    • tigerfeet2006
    • By tigerfeet2006 2nd Mar 12, 5:30 PM
    • 13,826 Posts
    • 29,891 Thanks
    tigerfeet2006
    zepsgal - Don't forget the OS MS recipes rosieben gathers on the first screen of this thread - there are 6 variations near the bottom of post #3
    Was just going to say the same myself

Hugs! to those who aren't feeling to well. Hope you feel better soon.
    Last edited by tigerfeet2006; 02-03-2012 at 5:43 PM.
    BSCno.87
    The only stupid question is an unasked one
    Loving life as a Kernow Hippy
  • supersally01
    Evening all.

Went to M&S, and got 12 x wines, and LOADS of YS stuff. Put it all in freezer, so can get thro most of the month using freezer goodies, and drinking my wine stash.
    Total Spent £70.23

Also 4 x shower gels in superdrug £2.42.
    And deodorants and reduced smarties in Boots. £5.30
    Will update siggi now.

HM chicken curry and Nann bread for tea, loads left to freeze. Working all weekend, so must stay away from the SM!!!
    Have a good weekend all
    Sally.
    • Living proof
    • By Living proof 2nd Mar 12, 6:00 PM
    • 1,617 Posts
    • 10,571 Thanks
    Living proof
    Good evening all you frugal shoppers! I went in to town at 8am and had a quick whizz around A**i and L**l as I find that making the journey on a Saturday now just cuts the day in half somehow. I spent £19.50 and that is enough for a couple of weeks, except for milk, salad and bananas which I will need to get when I am next passing through. What amazing value those discount stores represent for fruit and vegetable and staple items. I am convinced they only make money on the tat in the middle aisles, although to be fair some of that is good value if it's something you need and don't buy on impulse.

I haven't had a chance to read all the posts yet but hope to catch up over the weekend. Hope this springlike weather is making life a little easier for you all in lots of ways. We will all have to walk everywhere soon as the price of petrol is so high!
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    Mortgage and Debt Free. Unfortunately Pension Free too!
    • mummygems
    • By mummygems 2nd Mar 12, 6:11 PM
    • 345 Posts
    • 4,032 Thanks
    mummygems
    Do you maen you have a MS way of dealing with fleas? Would you mind sharing please?
    Originally posted by Spiggle
    I dont know if this will help you but my mum always gives her cats (all 12 of them!!!!) garlic capsules in their food - the cheapo ones from the supermarket is fine and the garlic repels the fleas! Since she has been doing this for the past 7 or so years she hasnt had any uninvited guests on the cats!

She only tried this because a number of the cats are allergic to the spot on stuff and she has never looked back.

On the subject of them bringing you presents, I always remember one of her cats bringing in a lizard into the kitchen minus its tail which we all thought was dead and when my mum went to pick it up to dispose of it the blimmin thing ran under her cooker! Took us hours to catch it lol.
    2 adults and 3 children DD (13), DD (11) & DS (8) and 2 mental beagles
    • tigerfeet2006
    • By tigerfeet2006 2nd Mar 12, 6:13 PM
    • 13,826 Posts
    • 29,891 Thanks
    tigerfeet2006
    SC/casserole Pork Stew (GF&DF)
    Last night dinner went well, thankfully.

I put 50g of plain flour (I use Doves GF Plain flour) in a bowl with salt and pepper and a tsp of paprika and mixed it together. Then I cut up 450g of pork into cubes and stirred it into the flour mixture, making sure it was well covered.

I then put a little veg oil in a pan and browned the meat. Do it in batches if your pan is small. Put the pork in the SC when browned. Brown 2 medium chopped onions, a couple of cloves of garlic to taste and a couple of carrots cut into battens in the same pan, add a little butter (Pure for DF) if the pan is a bit dry. Add to the SC.

Add a little more butter (Pure) to the pan and then add in around 100g of sliced mushroms to brown, then pop into the SC.

Pop a couple of tbsp of marmalade and 450ml of beef or chicken stock ( I use Bisto best) and sprinkle some thyme on and stir through.

Turn on the SC

I served this with corn on the cob and buttery mash but you could do baked potatoes or even fresh, crusty bread.

If you want to do this as a casserole follow the instructions and put in a oven proof dish, cover and then put in a preheateted oven on 180degC for 3 hours.

(please check labels as manufacturers often make changes to ingredients.)

Tonights dinner was baked potatoes with beans and grated cheese. The kids asked for it as a treat I didn't complain Nice cheap meal
    BSCno.87
    The only stupid question is an unasked one
    Loving life as a Kernow Hippy
    • PennyGrabber
    • By PennyGrabber 2nd Mar 12, 6:19 PM
    • 1,268 Posts
    • 22,438 Thanks
    PennyGrabber
    Checked and mum has a dough hook thing as some lkind person mentioned before, so I'll try that next time!
    Originally posted by elsiepac
    That was me! I always make my pizzas like that. It's a bit dull, standing there while it's doing, but it's so much easier/cleaner than doing it by hand!!

Good evening all you frugal shoppers! I went in to town at 8am and had a quick whizz around A**i and L**l as I find that making the journey on a Saturday now just cuts the day in half somehow. I spent £19.50 and that is enough for a couple of weeks, except for milk, salad and bananas which I will need to get when I am next passing through. What amazing value those discount stores represent for fruit and vegetable and staple items. I am convinced they only make money on the tat in the middle aisles, although to be fair some of that is good value if it's something you need and don't buy on impulse.

I haven't had a chance to read all the posts yet but hope to catch up over the weekend. Hope this springlike weather is making life a little easier for you all in lots of ways. We will all have to walk everywhere soon as the price of petrol is so high!
    Originally posted by Living proof
    Amen to that! I have a petrol budget that I can't afford to raise, so if the price goes up too much, I'll be forced to use the car less. However, now farmf00ds has opened literally round the corner, I should be able to walk there and do my once a week shop. It'll certainly help me not buy too much! (I'm even thinking about getting a granny trolley!)

Our third a!di is currently being built in our town, and it looks like quite a big one. I'm loving having the choice of cheaper places, and really love getting loads for my money.

Spent today, £1.44 for some pork mince, reduced from £3, a large pack, and two kinder eggs for the children (and a kitkat chunky for me!)

Off to bake and decorate cakes now, so I'll catch up with you all tomorrow or Sunday. Happy weekend everyone!

PG x
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan £87.97/£100 Feb £0/£100
    Frugal 2018 needed! Saving and NOT spending
    • scotmumof3
    • By scotmumof3 2nd Mar 12, 6:21 PM
    • 1,783 Posts
    • 13,910 Thanks
    scotmumof3
    Hi everyone hope you are well. A NSD for me today.
    LHS #217 DFW#1421
    debt free day 29th October 2020
    • hex2
    • By hex2 2nd Mar 12, 6:29 PM
    • 4,722 Posts
    • 80,174 Thanks
    hex2
    Thanks for the heads up Spiggle on MrT. Have changed my order to tomorrow to take advantage of the Quidco £5 off as well as the £7 off a £70 they sent me. Wouldn't have spotted it otherwise so much appreciated.

Quick call into MrA this morning (c£12) for veg as I cancelled my F&V box this week, thanks also to whoever mentioned the 30p evaporated milk, both A and T have it so I am stocking up for DH who drinks two tins a week in his coffee so a good saving.

Someone mentioned Douwe Egberts, Amazon have 30% off DE for first time you order it via subscribe and save.

£11 in co-op on RTC whole chickens, and BOGOF bacon for the weekend.
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need' Marcus Tullius Cicero
    • sistercas
    • By sistercas 2nd Mar 12, 6:34 PM
    • 4,842 Posts
    • 58,667 Thanks
    sistercas
    Thanks - I'm still a beginner and hope to get it down further.... The story so far:

I tend to buy in bulk (we have a fab cellar) eg a 20kg sack of spuds is £3 or so and we can get through it before they go too soft. Flour I buy by the sack and bag up into loaf size bags. I tend to stick to whats in season or on offer - its a bit of a joke at the dinner table that I never pay full price for anything! We eat very little red meat, very few tins (other than tomatoes and kidney beans) and I never buy ready meals or ready prepared food - always make pastry from scrtatch etc etc. We ignore best before dates and are really committed to using up left overs. I have two small freezers - both with inventories stuck to the door. DH and I both love a "ready steady cook" challenge and often google whats in the fridge with the word recipe afterwards! Being all adults theres no fussy eating.... you eat whats put in front of you and are grateful - or go hungry

We limit take aways to one a month and never buy coffee/sandwiches. Toiletries are fairly basic unless they've been given as gifts - (we dont bother with lots of products soap, body lotion, shampoo, conditioner, toothpaste and deoderant are all we tend to use) and cleaning products are equally simple eg stardrops, lemon juice, vinegar!

I dislike supermarkets and would rather buy from the grower direct and do at every opportunity. Ald* is the exception to my rule!

Alcohol - we tend to go to France at least once a year with the estate car (we have family there) and fill the boot with as much as we can - last year we got a fab merlot and a lovely cinsault for E16 for 10 litre box and bought over 100 litres

and most of all - we really enjoy the simple living / frugal challenge. Waste and extravagance just doesnt feel comfortable and we are really content with our lot and dont envy the people who are burdened by possessions. For me life is about creating memories - not aquiring furniture / clothes / big house. Good job really as we cant afford any of those anyway!

And of course - this thread and everyone who contributes are a source of constant inspiration and hope - thanks everyone.

Hope that helps - good luck with your own personal journey - and remember if you go over budget.... its not a failure but another opportunity to improve even more than you have already (we all remember the days before we even worked to a budget!!)

Sorry for long post - had my typing fingers on!

Night everyone - sweet dreams and hugs to everyone who would like one.
    x
    K
    Originally posted by Kylieminoag
    im even more impressed now
    i dont have room to bulk buy , but i do cook from scratch . we do eat alot of meat as i low carb for health reasons , and i buy local free range eggs and milk . other than that i go for all the offers, meal plan , and try not to waste anything. its a work in progress. thankyou for sharing how you do so well

es-six (((hugs)))

NSD today as i spent the day cleaning the house and tidying the patio .
    tea was meatball casserole , just onions, garlic and veg in stock with meatballs added for last 15 mins - yummy
    • FrugalLina
    • By FrugalLina 2nd Mar 12, 6:36 PM
    • 360 Posts
    • 3,357 Thanks
    FrugalLina
    Another unexpected no spend day for me today - I took next door's dogs all the way to the farm shop with my empty rucksack intent on buying some vegetables (not eggs LOL), but despite the struggle to get there as the road is a very busy one and the dogs (well the scatty little one) were all over the place and kept on trying to wander into the road. I was a bit fraught by the time I arrived to discover it was shut. I wandered around trying to find a human, but only chickens seemed to be running the shop.

So, shopping for vegetables abandoned until another day, we just went for a lovely walk instead.

My fabulous neighbour,s who kindly lent me these dogs for my entertainment, think I have been doing them a favour and rewarded me with some chocolates - which I didn't expect at all!

The vegetable shopping will be done tomorrow at L!dls on my way home from spinning group.
    17.5/100
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 2nd Mar 12, 6:57 PM
    • 3,602 Posts
    • 40,592 Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    Frugalina, i have a good picture of you and scatty dogs in my mind -thanx for the giggle
    Hello to all. Anunexpected no spend day. Got to work to find tuesday (when i was on annual leave) meetings postponed till 12:30. I teach 9:30 - 12:30 so my pizza and salad stayed at home (i work 5mins from home so usually get home for lunch) and i stayed at work so i cheekily asked if admin could get me a sarnie in. And they did. Someone kindly drov to mr t just to get me a £1 egg mayo sarnie my fave and came out of petty cash.
    Had the pizza and salad for supper. Someone gave me a bottle of wine so cam home for that rather than going to the pub. an cottage pie will be for tomorrow
    Be like a postage stamp—stick to one thing until you get there.
    Plastic bottles picked up to recycle Oct: 38
    • rising from the ashes
    • By rising from the ashes 2nd Mar 12, 6:59 PM
    • 12,321 Posts
    • 59,551 Thanks
    rising from the ashes
    It'll certainly help me not buy too much! (I'm even thinking about getting a granny trolley!)
    Originally posted by PennyGrabber
    I got one a while ago, for a similar reason ...... Home Bar*gains store near DM (none near me, so worth a 6 mile detour on my way home now & then) is on the main street where there's NO parking

I like to stock up when I go and after lugging loads of stuff, up the hill, in the pouring rain - and the handles broke on the loo rolls - I decided to get one ..... I Love it and really don't care what I look like!

I guess it depends on where you live - I've seen quite a few young people with them in the city but certainly not as many around here!
    • Florenceem
    • By Florenceem 2nd Mar 12, 7:12 PM
    • 3,996 Posts
    • 52,590 Thanks
    Florenceem
    Trolley.
    I told my DGD - I was getting a shopping trolley - she said - NO! Nannie - only old people have those. She was thinking - old - die! Anyway I got myself a designer trolley - yes - not MSE but it is so well made and I feel good out with it.
    I don't smoke/drink/gamble - and we all could do with a treat some time - well - that's how I justified it! Main thing was - worth any amount of money - to avoid back pain from carrying shopping - we don't have a car. I have had really bad pain in my back - just laid on the bed and cried.
    15 in 2015 1/15
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

220Posts Today

3,089Users online

Martin's Twitter