Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Helen
    • By Former MSE Helen 2nd Mar 12, 9:18 AM
    • 2,324Posts
    • 971Thanks
    Former MSE Helen
    MSE News: Petrol prices set to reach record high
    • 2nd Mar 12, 9:18 AM
    MSE News: Petrol prices set to reach record high 2nd Mar 12 at 9:18 AM
    This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"Petrol prices are set to reach an all-time high, piling pressure on Chancellor George Osborne to cut fuel taxes ..."

Page 1
    • Bruciebonus
    • By Bruciebonus 2nd Mar 12, 10:57 AM
    • 240 Posts
    • 59 Thanks
    Bruciebonus
    • 2nd Mar 12, 10:57 AM
    • 2nd Mar 12, 10:57 AM
    I think petrol prices should be around £1 per litre for ''essential'' journeys and around £3 per litre for non essential ones.
    If organized religion is the opium of the masses, then disorganized religion is the marijuana of the lunatic fringe.
    • foofi22
    • By foofi22 2nd Mar 12, 10:58 AM
    • 2,011 Posts
    • 1,314 Thanks
    foofi22
    • 2nd Mar 12, 10:58 AM
    • 2nd Mar 12, 10:58 AM
    I think petrol prices should be around £1 per litre for ''essential'' journeys and around £3 per litre for non essential ones.
    Originally posted by Bruciebonus
    Yes me too. My journeys are all essential by the way.
  • Tier
    • 2nd Mar 12, 11:15 AM
    • 2nd Mar 12, 11:15 AM
    Absolutely shocking, things cant go on like this surely? Something has to give, fuel prices cant just keep rising and rising.
  • no more cards for me
    • 2nd Mar 12, 11:30 AM
    • 2nd Mar 12, 11:30 AM
    Unfortunatley it looks like the fuel price will continue to rise, not only due to the internal UK policy but also the global issue of Iran.

If fuel goes to £1.50 per litre which is the current estimate then its obviously going to have an effect on vehicle usage.

In my own case, i've elected to cycle to work 12 days of the month, effectively saving 288 miles fuel per month. My journey to work is 12 miles through the countryside and residential areas. I'm not saying this is a solution for everybody but for short journeys then rethinking how you travel could save money. I estimate that after costs I'm saving £40-£70 per month - costs include the purchase of the bike via a cycle to work scheme. Obviously I still have the car and its associated costs but using it on a reduced basis means my wear and tear costs go down, still have to tax and insure it however.
    • jaydeeuk1
    • By jaydeeuk1 2nd Mar 12, 1:58 PM
    • 7,454 Posts
    • 4,942 Thanks
    jaydeeuk1
    • 2nd Mar 12, 1:58 PM
    • 2nd Mar 12, 1:58 PM
    Oooh, yet another moan about petrol prices thread. Wait till Israel kicks off in the summer, then oil prices really will shoot up.
    • wymondham
    • By wymondham 2nd Mar 12, 3:18 PM
    • 5,538 Posts
    • 10,284 Thanks
    wymondham
    • 2nd Mar 12, 3:18 PM
    • 2nd Mar 12, 3:18 PM
    What ever happend to the refinery/truckers/angry people etc who caused mayhem back in 2000 - prices are higher now..?
  • vax2002
    • 2nd Mar 12, 3:23 PM
    Could hit £7 a gallon by July !
  • Dave_C
    Yay!

Any measure that stops short journeys being made by car and more by bicycle the better. Especially a big car with only one person in it!

Less cars and more bikes will mean safer roads.

And I do own a diesel car!

Dave
  • vax2002
    Yay!

Any measure that stops short journeys being made by car and more by bicycle the better. Especially a big car with only one person in it!

Dave
    Originally posted by Dave_C

ERR, Not quite,
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 2nd Mar 12, 3:33 PM
    • 10,188 Posts
    • 15,838 Thanks
    worried jim
    Yay!

And I do own a diesel car!

Dave
    Originally posted by Dave_C
    nob.
    "Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein
  • no more cards for me
    Short journeys of under 5 miles would be better completed by cycle or walking. Take away the school run and traffic is significantly lighter. Whilst there is little option for longer commutes, as public transport doesn't have the support or infrastructure, why shouldn't people use cycles for shorter journeys ? 15 minutes on a bike for a couple of miles shouldn't be too difficult for anybody. Safer roads would encourage more users.

Unfortunately convincing car drivers to give up their status symbols is going to be a more difficult. As fuel costs rise then there might be a further significant increase in cycle use. Anything to reduce the burden on the NHS of obese car drivers has got to be a good thing.
  • vax2002
    I would pay good money to watch someone do 5 miles on a bike from Slaithwaite to Shepley
    • louiser123
    • By louiser123 2nd Mar 12, 3:46 PM
    • 1,238 Posts
    • 1,434 Thanks
    louiser123
    i am really noticing it myself, i have to use my car for my job which i get paid 45p a mile for, this to be honest is not really covering all it should now inc wear and tear. i am debating trying to find a job which i wont need a car for that i can access by bus/walk but this proving difficult too. it really is time that us everyday people had a break since this govt has been in its been constant cuts, tax rises and further costs. we really do need a change or the country needs to stand up for itself in the correct way of course.
    if petrol rose to these prices in the USA there would be uproar so if they can sell it cheaper why in the world cant we????
    self confessed 80's throwback
    sealed pot challenge 2009 #488 (couldnt tell you how much so far as i cant open it to count it!! )
  • no more cards for me
    I would pay good money to watch someone do 5 miles on a bike from Slaithwaite to Shepley
    Originally posted by vax2002
    Perfectly good route apparently
    http://www.waterscape.com/in-your-area/yorkshire/slaithwaite/cycling
  • Derivative
    if petrol rose to these prices in the USA there would be uproar so if they can sell it cheaper why in the world cant we????
    Originally posted by louiser123
    The US actually need cars. They spend vast amounts of money warring to keep oil prices down. The vast majority of the US is actually designed around the automobile - everything is spaced out massively.

By contrast, we like cars. You might need one for your job but you're a rare example. Most are off burning petrol because their kids can't be arsed to walk a mile to school. Most major cities in the UK have everything within walking distance, cycling if you want to save a bit of time. Only rural users actually need them.
    Said Aristippus, “If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.”
    Said Diogenes, “Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.”
  • no more cards for me
    Most are off burning petrol because their kids can't be arsed to walk a mile to school. Most major cities in the UK have everything within walking distance, cycling if you want to save a bit of time. Only rural users actually need them.
    Originally posted by Derivative
    How very true
    • louiser123
    • By louiser123 2nd Mar 12, 4:15 PM
    • 1,238 Posts
    • 1,434 Thanks
    louiser123
    The US actually need cars. They spend vast amounts of money warring to keep oil prices down. The vast majority of the US is actually designed around the automobile - everything is spaced out massively.

By contrast, we like cars. You might need one for your job but you're a rare example. Most are off burning petrol because their kids can't be arsed to walk a mile to school. Most major cities in the UK have everything within walking distance, cycling if you want to save a bit of time. Only rural users actually need them.
    Originally posted by Derivative
    yes i see what your saying and agree completely but the rises dont help those of us who do NEED one. it would be fairer to assist those that do, how that would be done im not sure but i wont hold my breath.
    self confessed 80's throwback
    sealed pot challenge 2009 #488 (couldnt tell you how much so far as i cant open it to count it!! )
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 2nd Mar 12, 4:16 PM
    • 10,188 Posts
    • 15,838 Thanks
    worried jim
    Originally posted by louiser123
    We have universal healthcare.
    "Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein
    • whatmichaelsays
    • By whatmichaelsays 2nd Mar 12, 4:16 PM
    • 2,836 Posts
    • 5,255 Thanks
    whatmichaelsays
    Absolutely shocking, things cant go on like this surely? Something has to give, fuel prices cant just keep rising and rising.
    Originally posted by Tier
    Why not? Demand will keep rising and supply will keep falling - simple economics.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

58Posts Today

2,574Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Mini MSE is on half term next week, so I'm excited to be taking the week off to be daddy. As normal I'm signing of? https://t.co/G3366shWh1

• I once blurted out on @gmb "Theresa May hasn't been given a poisoned chalice - she's been given a poisoned chalice? https://t.co/onfRbY3XVg

• It'd be fascinating to know how history will judge Theresa May's premiership. Currently, it is hard to see it as a? https://t.co/eH77G0O9LA

• Follow Martin