Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Guy
    • By MSE Guy 23rd Feb 12, 12:37 PM
    • 1,628Posts
    • 1,255Thanks
    MSE Guy
    MSE News: NHS prescription charges in England to rise
    • 23rd Feb 12, 12:37 PM
    MSE News: NHS prescription charges in England to rise 23rd Feb 12 at 12:37 PM
    This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"The cost of a prescription in England will rise 25p to 7.65 from 1 April, MPs were told today ..."

Page 1
  • Middy
    • 23rd Feb 12, 1:22 PM
    • 23rd Feb 12, 1:22 PM
    Great! I am funding the unemployed, the over 60s and those that live in Wales and Scotland.

The local chemist I go to if the prescription is available OTC at the same dosage and size for less money, will offer me that instead. Once I had a mosquito bite that turned septic and made my arm swell up. Was prescribed some cream. The chemist said there was the same tube but for 4.65. I took up his offer and saved about 2.20!
    • atarisrocks
    • By atarisrocks 23rd Feb 12, 1:54 PM
    • 559 Posts
    • 3,045 Thanks
    atarisrocks
    • 23rd Feb 12, 1:54 PM
    • 23rd Feb 12, 1:54 PM
    i dont mind paying for my medicines as i maybe get prescriptions every 2-3 years so it a lot cheaper than having to pay for health insurance or the full price of the medicine which can be 100s
    • Crabman
    • By Crabman 23rd Feb 12, 2:25 PM
    • 9,739 Posts
    • 7,171 Thanks
    Crabman
    • 23rd Feb 12, 2:25 PM
    • 23rd Feb 12, 2:25 PM
    Why do those of us who pay our taxes (in England) have to subsidise the prescriptions of those in Northern Ireland, Wales and Scotland?

Can you imagine the fuss Mr Salmond would make if the situation was reversed?
    I'm a Board Guide on the Savings & Investments, ISAs & Tax-free Savings, Public Transport & Cycling, Motoring and Parking Fines, Tickets & Parking Boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board Guides are not moderators & don't read every post. If you spot a contentious or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com

• JimmyTheWig
    • By JimmyTheWig 23rd Feb 12, 2:29 PM
    • 11,892 Posts
    • 11,422 Thanks
    JimmyTheWig
    • 23rd Feb 12, 2:29 PM
    • 23rd Feb 12, 2:29 PM
    Why do those of us who pay our taxes (in England) have to subsidise the prescriptions of those in Northern Ireland, Wales and Scotland?
    Originally posted by Crabman
    The article actually claims that free prescriptions actually saves the NHS in Wales money.
    • molerat
    • By molerat 23rd Feb 12, 2:33 PM
    • 21,564 Posts
    • 15,809 Thanks
    molerat
    • 23rd Feb 12, 2:33 PM
    • 23rd Feb 12, 2:33 PM
    And why do those of us who pay our taxes (in Scotland) have to subsidise the dental charges of those in England ?

Free prescriptions (and free parking) comes from the Scottish NHS budget which would be the same whether these were charged for or not. Our dental charges are higher than those in England as we are still on the old pay per item system (except that 6 monthly check ups are free).
    https://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/give-support/donate-now/
    • Crabman
    • By Crabman 23rd Feb 12, 3:03 PM
    • 9,739 Posts
    • 7,171 Thanks
    Crabman
    • 23rd Feb 12, 3:03 PM
    • 23rd Feb 12, 3:03 PM
    The article actually claims that free prescriptions actually saves the NHS in Wales money.
    Originally posted by JimmyTheWig
    That's a theory put forward by a Welsh Government spokesman, not a fact based on evidence. Going by that comment, there is no reason to believe free prescriptions in England wouldn't similarly save money for NHS Trusts in England.

I didn't know dental check-ups were free in Scotland

P.S: MSE Guy - the link in the first post is broken and goes to a 404 error page
    I'm a Board Guide on the Savings & Investments, ISAs & Tax-free Savings, Public Transport & Cycling, Motoring and Parking Fines, Tickets & Parking Boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board Guides are not moderators & don't read every post. If you spot a contentious or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com

• benham3160
    • 23rd Feb 12, 3:19 PM
    • 23rd Feb 12, 3:19 PM

The local chemist I go to if the prescription is available OTC at the same dosage and size for less money, will offer me that instead. Once I had a mosquito bite that turned septic and made my arm swell up. Was prescribed some cream. The chemist said there was the same tube but for 4.65. I took up his offer and saved about 2.20!
    Originally posted by Middy
    That's because there is an incentive here for the chemist too, they make only make 20p on the prescription charge for a trivial item (remember this goes to the central government) whereas if they OTC you the cream, they probably made 2.50 on that sale.

What does need looking in to urgently is the whole system of pharmacies collecting money from prescription charges..... It's very easy for pharmacies to erm... "massage" the amount of money they get paid, and we're not talking small amounts here.....
    • Yogibear
    • By Yogibear 23rd Feb 12, 3:41 PM
    • 448 Posts
    • 231 Thanks
    Yogibear
    • 23rd Feb 12, 3:41 PM
    • 23rd Feb 12, 3:41 PM

Can you imagine the fuss Mr Salmond would make if the situation was reversed?
    Originally posted by Crabman
    utter bollox we pay the same taxes as the rest of the uk,I think Salmond is as popular in Scotland as is Cameron the snp got in up here because of apathy from the Labour voters,if you want to query abuse of tax payers money look at what is known as NI the population say a million and a half ,MLAs,MPs they dont pay Council Tax still having the Rates giving them Billions so that the peace can be maintained
    • Jennifer_Jane
    • By Jennifer_Jane 23rd Feb 12, 3:44 PM
    • 3,157 Posts
    • 4,365 Thanks
    Jennifer_Jane
    [QUOTE=Middy;51280237]Great! I am funding the unemployed, the over 60s and those that live in Wales and Scotland.
    QUOTE]

In view of this posting, I sincerely hope that you don't become unemployed; that your body does not age or that you need medication after 60, and, of course, that you never live in Wales or Scotland.

Good luck in the future, Middy. I hope you remember your post and it's lack of generosity and grace, in the future.

You are not the only one who pays tax. I do, and very many other people do too. Life is not all about you, Middy.

I'm 65 and a taxpayer, most pensioners are taxpayers, you are not the only taxpayer in the Country, Middy. Nevertheless, thank you for paying for my prescriptions.
    • harrys nan
    • By harrys nan 23rd Feb 12, 3:46 PM
    • 1,629 Posts
    • 3,236 Thanks
    harrys nan
    Great! I am funding the unemployed, the over 60s and those that live in Wales and Scotland.

Originally posted by Middy
    I'm a bit fed up with comments like that re OAP's.
    I worked from the age 15 to 62 (and then only stopped work due to being made redundant) I have NEVER claimed benefits except family allowance, when my children were growing up I either worked 2 jobs or took all the overtime I could get, my income now is under 8000 per year so I think over my working life I have more than paid my share of taxes etc. I still dont get any benefits so think I am lucky to get my free prescriptions, if your lucky you will get them as well one day.
    Treat other's how you like to be treated.

Harry born 23/09/2008
    New baby grandson, Louie born 28/06/2012,
    Proud nanny to two beautiful boys
    And now I have the joy of having my foster granddaughter becoming my real granddaughter. Can't ask for anything better

UPDATE,
    As of today 180919. my granddaughter is now my official granddaughter, adoption finally granted
    • Butterfly Brain
    • By Butterfly Brain 23rd Feb 12, 3:56 PM
    • 8,736 Posts
    • 61,001 Thanks
    Butterfly Brain
    Why put the dental costs up ? I have never seen a poor dentist have you?
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • beingpositive
    Oh Great! Husband has heart problem but still works never claimed for anything but has to pay for prescription for his heart tablets - at moment not enough to warrant yearly prescription fee but if fees going up then we might have to do that
  • beingpositive
    Oh also forgot to say he needs regular dental treatment (although we can't afford it) because of his heart problems
    • VT82
    • By VT82 23rd Feb 12, 5:12 PM
    • 1,052 Posts
    • 896 Thanks
    VT82
    The Welsh spokesperson's logic is a bit daft if you ask me.

Do they really think there are that many taxpayers, who supposedly can afford prescriptions, who are nevertheless so skint they would forego collecting their prescriptions, despite being so poorly that doing so could result in them needing treatment, who would then go on to get so ill that they cost the NHS the equivalent of the many millions of pounds that it loses by not charging for prescriptions to anyone???

That's the equivalent of them coming out and saying that Welsh people are so tight they put the money in their wallet above their own health, so need the state to nanny them.

Pull the other one.

At the very least, charging a token amount for a prescription discourages wasting drugs, which according to the BBC is already a massive problem for the NHS arising from some of the people who don't pay for them at present.

And just to give my perspective, I have a chronic condition that requires me to get a prescription every 1-2 months. It's annoying paying for it, but i know I pay significantly less for the drugs than the NHS does.
  • benham3160
    The Welsh spokesperson's logic is a bit
    And just to give my perspective, I have a chronic condition that requires me to get a prescription every 1-2 months. It's annoying paying for it, but i know I pay significantly less for the drugs than the NHS does.
    Originally posted by VT82
    Maybe, the majority of prescriptions have a tariff price well below the prescription charge, that said of course there are plenty of drugs that are considerably more than the tariff price.

The millions that could be saved if pharmacies where more controlled as to how they claim money for drugs, people STOPPED ticking every box on their repeat prescription (pointlessly stockpiling), or people went to their GP for every minor ailment and expect the green pad to come out, then of course the wastage of drugs too, I've personally seen nearly 4,000 worth of drugs come back from a single person after they've had a "clearout" of their medicines cabinet.

Sadly when people pass away, or change treatments it's not unusual to receive carrier bags full of unopened boxes of tablets returned. Creams/lotions/ointments also seem to be big offenders, the amount of E45 tubs (cost NHS about 10 each) that are returned to be destroyed unopened is staggering.

Then once I've taken over the system I'd stop the mass "solve-all" strategy of prescribing statins...... But that's whole can of worms lol

Until you've worked in community pharmacy you can not imagine the sheer amount of wastage or abuse of the system - even from those within.

Regards,
    Andy
    Last edited by benham3160; 23-02-2012 at 5:33 PM.
    • brook2jack
    • By brook2jack 23rd Feb 12, 5:53 PM
    • 4,400 Posts
    • 4,072 Thanks
    brook2jack
    Why put the dental costs up ? I have never seen a poor dentist have you?
    Originally posted by Butterfly Brain
    The dentist doesn't get any more money, it just means the pct has to pay less. Patient contributions are knocked off the overall practice contract so the patient pays a larger proprtion of the cost of treatment. In fact dentists who mainly practice nhs dentistry earnings have gone down significantly in England over the last few years. 5.2% alone in the last financial year reported.
    Last edited by brook2jack; 23-02-2012 at 6:11 PM.
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 23rd Feb 12, 6:20 PM
    • 10,134 Posts
    • 7,759 Thanks
    pmduk
    I have diabetes and as a result used to receive free prescriptions. However once I'd worked hard on my health I stopped taking meds for the diabetes and my free prescriptions immediately stopped, despite many other chronic medical conditions. Hardly an incentive.
    • poppy10
    • By poppy10 23rd Feb 12, 6:30 PM
    • 6,220 Posts
    • 7,546 Thanks
    poppy10
    The Welsh spokesperson's logic is a bit daft if you ask me.

Do they really think there are that many taxpayers, who supposedly can afford prescriptions, who are nevertheless so skint they would forego collecting their prescriptions, despite being so poorly that doing so could result in them needing treatment, who would then go on to get so ill that they cost the NHS the equivalent of the many millions of pounds that it loses by not charging for prescriptions to anyone???
    Originally posted by VT82
    There's plenty of people, in Wales and elsewhere, who are on medication that they might not take if they had to pay each a month for it. It's hard enough getting people to keep taking their blood pressure, cholesterol, diabetes medications etc when it is free, introducing charges just makes it even more likely that people won't bother, and will end up down the line with more strokes, heart attacks and other expensive acute illnesses.

N.B. can we stop the 'subsiding scotland/wales/NI' theme, it's false and ridiculous. Each devolved nation has its own health budget and decides how to spend it. Scots getting free prescriptions means that there is less money in their health budget to spend on other things. The money to pay for the free prescriptions doesn't get taken out of the English budget.
  • Middy
    Oh Great! Husband has heart problem but still works never claimed for anything but has to pay for prescription for his heart tablets - at moment not enough to warrant yearly prescription fee but if fees going up then we might have to do that
    Originally posted by beingpositive

If he has to take these tablets for the rest of his life, he should get them free.

I have 3 friends that take medication for thyroid problems and this medication and others they need to take for other things are free.

Consult your GP.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

244Posts Today

3,560Users online

Martin's Twitter