Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Helen
    • By Former MSE Helen 16th Feb 12, 6:20 PM
    • 2,324Posts
    • 971Thanks
    Former MSE Helen
    MSE News: Landline to mobile call costs could fall
    • 16th Feb 12, 6:20 PM
    MSE News: Landline to mobile call costs could fall 16th Feb 12 at 6:20 PM
    This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"Home phone users could be able to call mobiles for less following a ruling made this week on charges ..."

Page 1
    • Heinz
    • By Heinz 16th Feb 12, 6:36 PM
    • 11,038 Posts
    • 4,449 Thanks
    Heinz
    • 16th Feb 12, 6:36 PM
    • 16th Feb 12, 6:36 PM
    could...........
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
    • Buzby
    • By Buzby 16th Feb 12, 7:58 PM
    • 8,201 Posts
    • 3,011 Thanks
    Buzby
    • 16th Feb 12, 7:58 PM
    • 16th Feb 12, 7:58 PM
    Since this is Part 3 of and agreed 3 part stepped reduction, as the mobile networks agreed to the staged reduction in termination rates, they might squeal, but they've done it already so there's no reason to assume they won't do it again.
    • jamesd
    • By jamesd 16th Feb 12, 11:23 PM
    • 23,589 Posts
    • 15,888 Thanks
    jamesd
    • 16th Feb 12, 11:23 PM
    • 16th Feb 12, 11:23 PM
    Still too high. Should be zero with the recipient paying for airtime. No reason to make callers pay for the choice a person makes about what number they want to give out. That also means that the person with the phone and paying the bill is in control of all of the cost and can use market forces to pick the best deals instead of relying on regulators.
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 17th Feb 12, 10:40 AM
    • 14,934 Posts
    • 13,521 Thanks
    zagfles
    • 17th Feb 12, 10:40 AM
    • 17th Feb 12, 10:40 AM
    Excellent news - we could start seeing landline calling packages including calls to mobiles now that the termination rates are becoming more similar.
    • nomoneytoday
    • By nomoneytoday 17th Feb 12, 12:30 PM
    • 4,768 Posts
    • 2,883 Thanks
    nomoneytoday
    • 17th Feb 12, 12:30 PM
    • 17th Feb 12, 12:30 PM
    I'd prefer it if the Telcos stopped putting up the line rental every 5 minutes instead of knocking a few fractions of a penny off a call
    • Ectophile
    • By Ectophile 17th Feb 12, 10:44 PM
    • 3,996 Posts
    • 2,658 Thanks
    Ectophile
    • 17th Feb 12, 10:44 PM
    • 17th Feb 12, 10:44 PM
    Still too high. Should be zero with the recipient paying for airtime. No reason to make callers pay for the choice a person makes about what number they want to give out. That also means that the person with the phone and paying the bill is in control of all of the cost and can use market forces to pick the best deals instead of relying on regulators.
    Originally posted by jamesd
    No thanks. If somebody decides to call me on my mobile phone, I don't want to end up paying the bill.

I get enough telesales calls on my land-line already. I certainly don't want such calls on my mobile if I have to pay for the privilege of receiving them.
    • jamesd
    • By jamesd 17th Feb 12, 11:12 PM
    • 23,589 Posts
    • 15,888 Thanks
    jamesd
    • 17th Feb 12, 11:12 PM
    • 17th Feb 12, 11:12 PM
    I agree that telesales groups should be paying and should be required to call in ways that cause them to be charged. That's not enough reason to make everyone else pay for your choice, though. What we have now is unfair to the callers, who have to pay for the choice of the person being called, subsidising their choice. The North American airtime-based system is a good deal fairer because the person using mobile numbers pays for the cost of their choice.
    • Phones4Chris
    • By Phones4Chris 18th Feb 12, 12:37 AM
    • 175 Posts
    • 102 Thanks
    Phones4Chris
    • 18th Feb 12, 12:37 AM
    • 18th Feb 12, 12:37 AM
    jamesd your idea would be almost impossible to implement reliably. There could potentially be too many telesales individuals whose numbers could fall through the system and not be identified as telesales.
    Apart from which what about prank calls, misdialled numbers etc. I certainly have no wish to pay for any such calls. The American system is Not fairer as costs are not under the full control of the mobile phone owner. Callers have the choice whether to call a mobile number or not.
    If you don't want to have to pay the extra, don't call a mobile - simples!
    I agree totally with Ectophile.
    If a mobile phone owner wanted to receive calls on their mobile but reduce the cost to the caller, they could have a landline number and divert it to their mobile, thereby paying that part of the cost, and that would be their choice.
    The real problem with mobile operators, is the rip-off prices they get away with charging.
    Every little helps hurts when you're retired
    • jamesd
    • By jamesd 18th Feb 12, 1:22 AM
    • 23,589 Posts
    • 15,888 Thanks
    jamesd
    Phones4Chris, trouble is, it does work reliably in North America. The callers don't get the choice, the person providing the number does.
    • Phones4Chris
    • By Phones4Chris 18th Feb 12, 2:43 AM
    • 175 Posts
    • 102 Thanks
    Phones4Chris
    There is no choice in paying for a call you didn't ask to receive!
    • jamesd
    • By jamesd 18th Feb 12, 7:13 AM
    • 23,589 Posts
    • 15,888 Thanks
    jamesd
    Nor much of one in paying whatever exorbitant rate the phone company wants you to pay to call the mobile number you've been given. It's not as if you can go and look at SayNoToRipOffMobileCompanies when you're not the person who has the mobile contract.

The reason the mobile companies don't like these changes is that today they are charging callers premium rates and using those to pay for services that they are providing to the person who is being called. That's not something that should be happening, it's an abuse of callers to have them subsidise the phone deal of the person being called. The remedy is to eliminate the termination charges or have the person with the mobile pay their costs, not the caller.

I don't know about you but I don't get a lot of wrong numbers calling my mobile.

I agree about it being nice not to pay for a call you didn't want. That's where airtime minutes package or reporting a call as a marketing call can come in. Just oblige the phone company not to charge when it's reported as a marketing call and let them cancel the contracts of anyone who abuses those reports.
    Last edited by jamesd; 18-02-2012 at 7:54 AM.
    • redux
    • By redux 20th Feb 12, 1:58 AM
    • 20,091 Posts
    • 28,200 Thanks
    redux
    This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"Home phone users could be able to call mobiles for less following a ruling made this week on charges
    Originally posted by MSE Helen
    BT charges nearly 25 pence to call a mobile phone for a minute

If they cut a penny or so off that, how many people would actually notice?

Mind you, they charge about 21 pence for one minute to a landline ...
    • Phones4Chris
    • By Phones4Chris 22nd Feb 12, 7:15 PM
    • 175 Posts
    • 102 Thanks
    Phones4Chris
    jamesd I wouldn't want to have to waste my time challenging a Telco as to whether a particular call was marketing one and so I shouldn't be paying for it.
    Also no-one forces anyone to call a mobile - if you don't want to call a mobile number because of cost, then don't, simples!
    But apart from which there a number of very cheap PAYG mobile deals about where you can call mobiles and landlines for 8p/min (no connection fee) - that's a damn site cheaper than a landline in most cases unless you use a service like 18185 where it's 6p/min to a mobile weekday, 7p/min w/e.
    The American system just isn't worth the hastle or the cost.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

299Posts Today

4,239Users online

Martin's Twitter