Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Helen
    • By Former MSE Helen 7th Feb 12, 6:41 PM
    • 2,324Posts
    • 971Thanks
    Former MSE Helen
    MSE News: Home phone and broadband prices on the rise
    • 7th Feb 12, 6:41 PM
    MSE News: Home phone and broadband prices on the rise 7th Feb 12 at 6:41 PM
    This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"Virgin Media, O2 and Orange have all announced an array of price rises to come into force over the coming months ..."

Page 1
    • dtaylor84
    • By dtaylor84 7th Feb 12, 10:27 PM
    • 635 Posts
    • 519 Thanks
    dtaylor84
    • 7th Feb 12, 10:27 PM
    • 7th Feb 12, 10:27 PM
    BT are being forced to lower the wholesale cost of broadband and voice line rental by pennies per line per month.

The cost of calls (for voice) and data (for broadband) are not being cut, and inflation is driving the other costs of telecoms providers up.

Overall, the Ofcom announcement is likely to mean that prices rise less than otherwise, not fall.
    • Heinz
    • By Heinz 9th Feb 12, 7:09 AM
    • 11,038 Posts
    • 4,449 Thanks
    Heinz
    • 9th Feb 12, 7:09 AM
    Virgin put up prices by up to 25%
    • 9th Feb 12, 7:09 AM
    Virgin's price rises are astonishing in percentage terms if you consider the rate of inflation is around 5%.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • Conan_the_librarian
    • 12th Feb 12, 1:11 PM
    • 12th Feb 12, 1:11 PM
    I suspect the price increases are not because of increased costs in providing lines, its to raise money to roll out fibre broadband.
    • sbrom1ss
    • By sbrom1ss 13th Feb 12, 1:19 AM
    • 11 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    sbrom1ss
    • 13th Feb 12, 1:19 AM
    • 13th Feb 12, 1:19 AM
    I have written to Virgin media to complain that I can no longer have "Medium" broadband as an option and MUST have their "Large" broadband as they are discontinuing the Medium service - an increase of around 5 a month. I told them I don't download anything and don't want the large package. Their response was to say I had no choice but to accept the Large broadband or move to another provider! I will - moving my broadband, TV, phone and mobile. I have been a customer of their's for over 10 years and I am very angry with their attitude.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,525Posts Today

6,419Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • The maths is wrong. Even if MPs weren't given a penny by the state in salary or expenses, it'd save a trivial count? https://t.co/Kgskcjd6eG

• What an utterly depressing watch this is. I think the MP handles it as well as possible. Good on him for not just t? https://t.co/LrSY56HbPA

• RT @Caitch22: @MartinSLewis Maybe the cheap housing, final salary scheme generation that want to tax the young should pay for their own car?

• Follow Martin