Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 1
  • marshy50
    • 9th Feb 12, 5:02 PM
    Didn't work
    • 9th Feb 12, 5:02 PM
    I signed up for this on-line streaming don't think I will be bothering with LoveFilm again. Firstly if you have ever been with love film in the past even if it was a long time ago when there was no streaming service you can not have this offer. I did email and complained then mysteriously in my account it said the 30 day free trail was active and they would be taking the next payment on 10/3/2012 all well and good I thought. Then I tried to play something from there very large not very visual pleasing list which makes it difficult to find anything to watch. I clicked on new movies old movies new and old TV programs and everything just came up with the message to watch this please upgrade to a package. I don't no if this is just a glitch but what is actually available for the 4.99 streaming package or do you have to have the DVD rental package to get the streaming package. Confused I am. Signed up to Netflix a few weeks ago and there was none of this hassle no waiting for email to activate very easy to find stuff worked great on my Apple TV and Pad and Phone and quality very good HD and surround sound looked great on my HD TV. Have enjoyed a fair few film and lots of TV series effortlessly. I have only managed to watch free trailers on love film and if the quality of the trailers is a indication of the quality of the actual stream I don't think I will be bothering Lovefilm needs to do a lot better than this. As of now a Netflix recommend a Love Film give it a miss.
  • ellieellieellie
    • 10th Feb 12, 10:50 PM
    • 10th Feb 12, 10:50 PM
    Firstly, I'd like to say my subscription includes DVD rentals, which was the main reason for me signing up. As far as I am concerned, the streaming service is an added extra

The quality of streaming on my PC is good. The picture isn't HD, but I've not had any problems with freezing or skipping of audio or video.

The selection of films, on the other hand, is not great. Films available to stream for free are generally older than 2 years. Some newer films are available to stream on a pay per view basis (usually around 3.50 each). TV shows aren't grouped by series, so you have to find each episode individually, which is annoying.

I love Lovefilm's DVD rental service, and streaming is a nice bonus feature for when I'm waiting for my next title, but I wouldn't pay a fiver a month for the standalone streaming service as it stands.
    • I luv cats
    • By I luv cats 17th Feb 12, 11:08 PM
    • 14,001 Posts
    • 70,290 Thanks
    I luv cats
    • 17th Feb 12, 11:08 PM
    • 17th Feb 12, 11:08 PM
    I've signed up to Lovefilm Instant rather easily via Quidco. (month free+18)

Have to be vigilant that my searches can pull up streaming films that are not included. (an extra charge!!)

I am comparing Lovefilm to Netflix to keep feeding my movie appetite. (Lovefilm has more instant appeal. I have needed both services to net exclusive and inclusive films)

My first film streamed on my netbook without any hiccups. Shame not accessible on my Wii.

It's shocking really that some of these films are 2.49 to 4.49 to rent individually on Itunes!!!!

• jaytin
    • By jaytin 18th Feb 12, 9:48 AM
    • 463 Posts
    • 496 Thanks
    jaytin
    • 18th Feb 12, 9:48 AM
    • 18th Feb 12, 9:48 AM
    I have the 2-at-home DVD package (9.99) with streaming films thrown in. I have been using this service for a few months now. I watched all three of the Scandinavian version of the Millenium Trilogy recently (girl with the dragon tattoo etc.) which played with no problems. I have also watched another 3 or 4 films all of which played well.

I do think I should point out though that the streaming quality has a lot more to do with my own PC being pretty good and having a very good internet connection. Average broadband is around 6 meg with a very low ping.
  • DelBoyPhil
    • 23rd Feb 12, 7:12 PM
    • 23rd Feb 12, 7:12 PM
    If you want to take the lovefilm then go via groupon for the 6 months for 9.99 and make up an address if you have used it before and you get 6 months for 9.99
    • jenlan
    • By jenlan 29th Feb 12, 11:54 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    jenlan
    • 29th Feb 12, 11:54 PM
    • 29th Feb 12, 11:54 PM
    I recently took up the 9.99 Groupon offer for 6 months streaming, but have now found, upon checking my new Lovefilm account, that I have only got a 30 day trial with the next payment of nearly 15 to be taken from my card after the 30 days! I've emailed then to clarify, hoping this is put right. Has anybody else had similar problems with the Groupon deal?
    • satchef1
    • By satchef1 3rd Mar 12, 7:08 PM
    • 112 Posts
    • 69 Thanks
    satchef1
    • 3rd Mar 12, 7:08 PM
    • 3rd Mar 12, 7:08 PM
    Thieves tbh. Won't ever sign up again and I'll drag their name through the dirt at every oportunity I get.

I sent some DVDs back 2 weeks ago and... they"didn't" arrive. Annoying given I phoned up to cancel on the day I sent them back. Phoned again a week later as my next payment was due, they gave me a week extension to see if they turned up. On Thursday I rang for an update as the site was still showing them as "on loan" and was told there was nothing they can do. I popped on to Online Banking, cancelled the Direct Debit and... on the Friday they charged my Debit Card. It turns out that when I reactivated my account a few months ago (on a three month free offer) they changed the way I was being charged from DD to debit card. Friday afternoon they cancelled my subscription and the DVDs showed up as returned. I phoned them up to complain that they had basically stolen my money and was told "nothing we can do, the disks were late back". As such I've paid for a month of service that I didn't want and won't be receiving because allegedly Royal Mail took two weeks to return the disks (or maybe they conveniently got "lost" in the warehouse?).
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 3rd Mar 12, 7:24 PM
    • 33,140 Posts
    • 20,867 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 3rd Mar 12, 7:24 PM
    • 3rd Mar 12, 7:24 PM
    Been with lovefilm for years and they have been fine, all dvds have been received on time and new ones have been sent out. Only issue i jhave had has been discs that were scratched and wouldnt play but hey it wasn't a major issue that got me riled up, i just marked the envelope the disc was faulty and it was sorted.
    • wouldbeqaulitymoneysaver
    • By wouldbeqaulitymoneysaver 3rd Mar 12, 8:10 PM
    • 5,607 Posts
    • 10,481 Thanks
    wouldbeqaulitymoneysaver
    Lurkilicious LoveFilm Subscriber.
    I wondered about the Streaming Service also.
    #TY[/B] Would be Qaulity MSE Challenge Queen.
    [B]Reading whatever books I want to the rescue!:beer[/B
    WannabeBarrister, WannabeWife, Wannabe Campaign Girl Wannabe MSE Girl #wannnabeALLmyFamilygirl
    #notbackyetIamfightingfortherighttobeMSEandFREE
    • I luv cats
    • By I luv cats 4th Mar 12, 2:48 PM
    • 14,001 Posts
    • 70,290 Thanks
    I luv cats
    Lovefilm Instant does have annoying buffering BUT yesterday watching "Dog Pound" it kept buffering and saying this title is not available during playback.

When I eventually tried to resume playback each time it would take me back to an earlier (wrong) part of the film!

What is wrong with Lovefilm Instant as Netflix doesn't have any buffering???
    • jools2001
    • By jools2001 4th Mar 12, 6:45 PM
    • 82 Posts
    • 62 Thanks
    jools2001
    Rejoined Lovefilm, after using them about 5 years ago.

The service now is absolutely terrible, discs arrive dirty,have had to send back 6 rentals in total that wouldn't play at all, due to bad scratches etc, but at least lovefilm gave me 6 extra rentals as compensation.

Have noticed in past 4 - 5 weeks though, that they are taking approx a weeks turnaround to send me my next rentals, despite my rental list having 30 plus !
    Again last week, sent back 2 rentals in same envelope on Friday,it was not until following Friday, new ones arrived, absolute joke,it never used to be like this,but have had enough, and will be leaving at the end of my subs period in a few weeks time.

Good job i only signed up with a 4 groupon voucher,and had a 20 Amazon joining voucher!
  • the_opposite
    Does anybody know how they decide if somebody is a 'previous customer'?

Does it go by the customer's name / email address or is it the physical address?
  • ellieellieellie
    Does anybody know how they decide if somebody is a 'previous customer'?

Does it go by the customer's name / email address or is it the physical address?
    Originally posted by the_opposite
    Both, I believe. I have heard of someone being refused an introductory discount because a previous tenant had had a subscription. They contacted LoveFilm to explain and were eventually given the first month free as a new customer.

If you've had an intro discount before and want another, I have heard that if you put your address in manually rather than searching by postcode and clicking on your address, and change the format slightly (such as by adding a comma after the house number, or using "ST", "RD", etc. instead of "street", "road"), you can, in effect, confuse the computer system into giving you the discount again.

I'd like to make it clear that this tactic is hearsay; I've not tried it myself and it might not work. If you decide to try it and it does work, but then they find you out, you may have to pay. You're (presumably) an adult, and if you make that decision and it backfires, that's your problem and not mine!
    • ladylouise62
    • By ladylouise62 11th Mar 12, 12:29 AM
    • 726 Posts
    • 627 Thanks
    ladylouise62
    We've been using it for years and have had very few problems. Three times a DVD has been lost in the post, twice to us and once to them, but we've never had to argue about it. Speed is usually good, this week I posted it Thursday, received replacement Saturday. Maybe a couple of time it's taken 4/5 days, but knowing what the postal service can be like that's only to be expected.

As for the streaming, I've been fine with it and not had a buffering problem. I have no issue with the free films being older - we aren't paying extra for it.

I do agree with the layout issue previously mentioned - it's so annoying when tv shows are listed separately and not even in the right order, thus making it hard work to find them in order.
    • CharleneUK
    • By CharleneUK 13th Mar 12, 4:47 PM
    • 3,170 Posts
    • 1,099 Thanks
    CharleneUK
    I've joined lovefilm instant via Quidco and I'm not impressed with the choice of films and can't find the TV series properly! Terrible to be honest.

Has images of Twilight on there and you can't find them to actually view!
    "I did then, what I knew then. And when I knew better, I did better"

Timberlake Hussy Clique Member No 2
    • liney
    • By liney 14th Mar 12, 12:15 PM
    • 4,884 Posts
    • 8,245 Thanks
    liney
    Lovefilm contacted and gave me 3 months for the price of 1 to tempt me back. The postal service is still very good; I generally recieve a disk within a couple of days of returning my old one.

The online service.. well it works! I can't say much more because being older content there isn't much I want to watch. On this basis, unless content became more current IMO it is not worth 5.00 per month when i'm paying 8.00 per month 1 disk/unlimited of current film.
    "On behalf of teachers, I'd like to dedicate this award to Michael Gove and I mean dedicate in the Anglo Saxon sense which means insert roughly into the anus of." My hero, Mr Steer.
    • russ331
    • By russ331 14th Mar 12, 7:09 PM
    • 305 Posts
    • 170 Thanks
    russ331
    I've been with LoveFilm for years, on the 3 DVDs any one time deal.

I'm generally happy with the service, apart from the fact that quite a few DVDs are not available, e.g.

Bridesmaids
    Contagion
    Fast & Furious 5
    Hanna
    Inglourious Basterds
    Johnny English Reborn
    One Day
    Scorpion King 3
    Sherlock Holmes - A Game of Shadows
    Somewhere
    The Adjustment Bureau
    The Change-Up
    The Debt
    The Kids Are All Right
    The Raven
    Last edited by russ331; 15-03-2012 at 8:01 AM.
  • BrendaG1974
    For everyone who has tried or is trying LoveFilm, what films/ TV series are actually on there from your expeirence (i.e. not ones they use to advertise, what's REALLY on there!)

I'd heard from one person that they've got Lost on there but others said no - anyone confirm or deny?

We've got Netflix at the mo and thought about trying LoveFilm Instant to/ instead, but feedback so far on LF hasn't been that great?
  • 5stardan
    I had a free trial with Lovefilm just before Xmas which I was impressed with. I didn't continue with the subscription afterwards due to my current financial situation but I was still seriously tempted to return. I then received a letter in the post the other day with a "comeback" offer which I tried to redeem through the website but was denied. I contacted customer services via email who replied using terrible English and said that the offer was for first time users only (completely in contrast to what the letter said) I was told, "You shall give this voucher to any of your friends, who does not have an account with us" Seems it was all just underhanded tactics to try and get me to hand the letter onto a friend which I will not be doing. I will be trying Netflix instead.

Lovefilm, don't send misleading offer letters in the post if the recipient has no way of actually claiming them.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

817Posts Today

5,838Users online

Martin's Twitter