Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Jo4
    • By Jo4 21st Sep 04, 1:36 AM
    • 6,685Posts
    • 4,777Thanks
    Jo4
    Freeze fresh fruit/veg?
    • 21st Sep 04, 1:36 AM
    Freeze fresh fruit/veg? 21st Sep 04 at 1:36 AM
    Can you freeze fresh fruit/vegetables, if so what ones and is there anything you have to do to them first?
Page 1
  • cathy
    • 21st Sep 04, 1:59 AM
    Re: Freeze fresh fruit/veg?
    • 21st Sep 04, 1:59 AM
    you can but you need to blanch them first or they go mushy

http://www.ag.uiuc.edu/~vista/html_pubs/PREPVEG/freezing.html
    • Jo4
    • By Jo4 21st Sep 04, 2:03 AM
    • 6,685 Posts
    • 4,777 Thanks
    Jo4
    • 21st Sep 04, 2:03 AM
    • 21st Sep 04, 2:03 AM
    cathy Thanks for your very prompt response!
    • Chris25
    • By Chris25 21st Sep 04, 10:50 AM
    • 12,776 Posts
    • 12,609 Thanks
    Chris25
    • 21st Sep 04, 10:50 AM
    • 21st Sep 04, 10:50 AM
    ......don't bother with strawberries unless you want to use them as sauce but raspberries freeze beautifully. Just lay them on a tray put in freezer til frozen and then you can put all together into a box.

Grapes are really good frozen and you can take them wiith you on a journey on a hot day - tip for next year, I'm afraid! ;D Eating them frozen is very much like eating sorbet.

You can freeze slices of pineapple and if you have teething babies (another great one for a long car journey), give them one of these frozen slices (leave in the core) and they'll suck away happily on it and as the flesh doesn't completely freeze, it sooths baby's gums. they get very sticky but a wetwipe or two cures that!

Regarding veg - I always seem to have a problem freezing sprouts, although I blanch them, they never taste nice, so if I have a glut of them, I give them away!

And you can mash or duchesse your potatoes before freezing.
    • By 16011996 21st Sep 04, 2:40 PM
    • 8,140 Posts
    • 3,704 Thanks
    • 21st Sep 04, 2:40 PM
    • 21st Sep 04, 2:40 PM
    whats duchesse??
  • aussielle
    • 21st Sep 04, 3:05 PM
    • 21st Sep 04, 3:05 PM
    Duchesse potatoes

Recipe Summary
    Prep Time: 40 minutes
    Cook Time: 20 minutes
    Yield: 8 servings
    User Rating: No Rating

4 pounds large red potatoes
    3/4 stick (6 tablespoons) unsalted butter, cut into pieces
    1 1/4 cups milk
    3 large egg yolks

Peel and quarter potatoes and in a large saucepan cover with salted cold water by 2 inches. Bring water to a boil and simmer potatoes until tender, about 15 minutes.
    While potatoes are simmering, in a small saucepan heat butter with milk over moderately low heat until melted and keep warm.

Drain potatoes in a colander and force through a ricer or food mill into a bowl. With an electric mixer beat in milk mixture, yolks, and salt and pepper to taste.

Preheat oven to 400F. Spread about one third potatoes in a buttered 1-quart gratin dish and transfer remaining potatoes to a pastry bag fitted with a 3/4-inch star tip. On potatoes in dish pipe potatoes in the bag. Potatoes may be prepared up to this point 1 day ahead and chilled, covered loosely. Bake potatoes until heated through and tops of "ghosts" are golden, 15 to 20 minutes.

• By 16011996 21st Sep 04, 8:05 PM
    • 8,140 Posts
    • 3,704 Thanks
    • 21st Sep 04, 8:05 PM
    • 21st Sep 04, 8:05 PM
    too complicated, think i'll stick to mash. do nothing that involves piping bag if i can help it, but thanks.
    • jaybee
    • By jaybee 21st Sep 04, 8:57 PM
    • 1,418 Posts
    • 2,676 Thanks
    jaybee
    • 21st Sep 04, 8:57 PM
    • 21st Sep 04, 8:57 PM
    I agree - too messy. Told you I was a lazy cook!
    • Jo4
    • By Jo4 22nd Sep 04, 4:03 AM
    • 6,685 Posts
    • 4,777 Thanks
    Jo4
    • 22nd Sep 04, 4:03 AM
    • 22nd Sep 04, 4:03 AM
    Thanks for all the responses! Carrots, cabbage and brocolli don't seem to freeze too well, but maybe they will if I try to blanch them?! :-/
    • Chris25
    • By Chris25 22nd Sep 04, 10:40 AM
    • 12,776 Posts
    • 12,609 Thanks
    Chris25
    Jo4.... carrots are great frozen - so easy but yes, you do have to blanch them and you can mix them with swede too. Never tried cabbage - not sure i want to and my efforts with brocolli aren't consistent. :-/ Parsnips are another easy veg to freeze.

Jaybee & 16011996.............. no they're easy, not much more than just mashing the potatoes anyway, just add the egg and pipe little shapes - traditional little stacks or for kids, you could do a fish shape, or letters or the best - mounds with dents in the middle and then when you've taken them out of the freezer and heated them through, fill them with veg or cocktail sausages or tomato ketchup
    • By 16011996 22nd Sep 04, 1:36 PM
    • 8,140 Posts
    • 3,704 Thanks
    think you mean cocktail sausages??
    • Chris25
    • By Chris25 22nd Sep 04, 3:21 PM
    • 12,776 Posts
    • 12,609 Thanks
    Chris25
    LoL - how come you got away with typing it? perhaps I left a break between the k and the t ???
    Or else this software doesn't like my posts - I tried to type about the equivalent of a dog lifting his leg (on another thread) and the software had changed it to thingied his leg ;D
    • By 16011996 22nd Sep 04, 3:31 PM
    • 8,140 Posts
    • 3,704 Thanks
    you need to put 2 spaces before it. read it somewhere else earlier today, thats couldn't work out what thingytail sausages were. made me laugh when i realised it'd been censored.
    • Chris25
    • By Chris25 22nd Sep 04, 5:22 PM
    • 12,776 Posts
    • 12,609 Thanks
    Chris25
    Oh, thanks, let's give it a go then cocktail sausages
    • Chris25
    • By Chris25 22nd Sep 04, 5:23 PM
    • 12,776 Posts
    • 12,609 Thanks
    Chris25
    ;D ;D ;D
    • By 16011996 22nd Sep 04, 5:37 PM
    • 8,140 Posts
    • 3,704 Thanks
    ;D ;D ;Ddon't know if it works with others, daren't try.
    • Curry Queen
    • By Curry Queen 1st Oct 05, 1:09 PM
    • 5,482 Posts
    • 3,081 Thanks
    Curry Queen
    Freezing vegetables
    I was just looking up some info on freezing veggies as I got my organic box yesterday and there's so much in it I'm never gonna get to use it all whilst it's still at it's best, so thought maybe I could freeze some of it until I decide what to use it in.

Anyway, I came across this website which has some very useful advice, and I know this subject has cropped up a couple of times before so thought I'd post it here for anyone else wanting to freeze veggies

Just one question though, after blanching in boiling water it says to put them straight into iced water to cool. Does this mean water which actually contains ice, or just very cold water? I don't have any ice so wondered if just cold water from the tap would suffice?
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• bargainqueen
    Thanks hun, have added to favourite websites. I reckon iced water does mean a couple of ice cubes in the water but don't think it'll make too big a difference between that and plain old cold water!
    Three years, six months, three weeks, 13 hours, 48 minutes and 30 seconds. 26011 cigarettes not smoked, saving $11,704.80. Life saved: 12 weeks, 6 days, 7 hours, 35 minutes.
    • Curry Queen
    • By Curry Queen 1st Oct 05, 1:50 PM
    • 5,482 Posts
    • 3,081 Thanks
    Curry Queen
    I suppose the idea is to cool it quickly so maybe if I had two bowls of cold water ready and dunk it in one then the other it should work :confused:

I'm going to roast some of the softer veg - aubergine, courgettes, tomatoes etc - and have some with pasta for dinner and any leftovers can be made into a ratatouille for the freezer. Half the cauli, broccoli and carrots will be fine for tomorrow's roast and any leftovers can be eaten the following day, but could do with freezing the other half.

Which leaves me with a mountain of leeks, a swede, chard, landcress, corn cobs, squash, parsnips, pak choi and salad stuff, some of which will have to be eaten soon rather than frozen.

The squash, parsnips and some of the leeks are ear-marked for soups which I'm hoping will keep for a few days until I get around to making them as I don't feel up to cooking a mountain of different dishes today

Any suggestions of what to do with any of this stuff would be good too ... apart from not ordering so much veg in one go next time
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• squeaky
    • By squeaky 1st Oct 05, 4:01 PM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    I cook all sorts of stews and soups to freeze extras of rather than trying to freeze the vegetables on their own. My freezer is filling up! Or rather - it's full already. I can't seem to empty it any faster than I find new stuff to put in.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = 5.20 Apr 0.50
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

81Posts Today

2,888Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • A brilliant and gripping profile of Boris Johnson by the great @JPonpolitics well worth the 15 minute read https://t.co/odelHYEbRg

• Boris Johnson is now going to be our prime minister. Worth a pause for thought, whatever your political persuasion.

• Boy they're dragging out this #conservativeleadership announcement.Three introducers now each grabbing air time. Get on with it please!

• Follow Martin