Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 1
    • Mr K
    • By Mr K 31st Jan 12, 8:59 PM
    • 1,122 Posts
    • 667 Thanks
    Mr K
    • 31st Jan 12, 8:59 PM
    • 31st Jan 12, 8:59 PM
    Still nowhere near as good as it used to be when they previously had the 5% offer. There used to be no annual fee and you could accumulate more than 100 cashback in the introductory period.
    • Occy
    • By Occy 31st Jan 12, 9:47 PM
    • 145 Posts
    • 293 Thanks
    Occy
    • 31st Jan 12, 9:47 PM
    • 31st Jan 12, 9:47 PM
    I had an Amex card for a couple of years, over 5 years ago, and it was definitely not worth the hassle.

There are two big downsides, firstly not everywhere accepts Amex you have to have a second credit card to hand in case of rejections. Secondly some places that take it do so with great reticence especially smaller retailers and the feeling you are handing over something the vendor would normally step over if it was lying on the pavement becomes grating.

Since then I stuck to something universally accepted, the old Egg money card with 1% cash back, simples.

Occy
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    C25K Graduate
    • Gromitt
    • By Gromitt 31st Jan 12, 10:10 PM
    • 4,981 Posts
    • 2,384 Thanks
    Gromitt
    • 31st Jan 12, 10:10 PM
    • 31st Jan 12, 10:10 PM
    Secondly some places that take it do so with great reticence especially smaller retailers and the feeling you are handing over something the vendor would normally step over if it was lying on the pavement becomes grating.
    Originally posted by Occy
    Noticed that at the weekend when a retailer was asking someone "Do you have any other cards or forms of payment?" after they tried to purchase goods to the value of 10. They blushed and got out a 10 note.
    • thegoodman
    • By thegoodman 1st Feb 12, 7:10 AM
    • 1,219 Posts
    • 217 Thanks
    thegoodman
    • 1st Feb 12, 7:10 AM
    • 1st Feb 12, 7:10 AM
    Capone cashvback or any other visa or MasterCard are better.
    Amex nice card but still many shops don't take it so you also need 2nd card.
    • hillendale
    • By hillendale 1st Feb 12, 9:35 AM
    • 299 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    hillendale
    • 1st Feb 12, 9:35 AM
    Amex
    • 1st Feb 12, 9:35 AM
    I've had my Amex cash back for several years and not really had any issues with retailers taking it as payment. All the main supermarkets and petrol stations etc near me take it also most of the online retailers I use. I even fund my paypal account with it which is ideal for shopping via ebay etc.
    I also have the Barclay card world mastercard (formerly egg money).
    Having both is good for me.
    hope this helps
    • Thesmiths
    • By Thesmiths 1st Feb 12, 9:39 AM
    • 25 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    Thesmiths
    • 1st Feb 12, 9:39 AM
    Never again!
    • 1st Feb 12, 9:39 AM
    We both held Gold AMEx cards for about four years after being invited to join by AMEX.
    We were attracted by the reward scheme which at the time offered us bonus miles onto my flight reward card.

I can only say it was one of our worst financial experiences ever and we would never use AMEX again or recommend them no matter how good the rewards.

In the UK we found the card to be almost useless. We found that about 8 in 10 transactions we performed where the card was not accepted. You simply cannot use it so whats the point? This starts to get very annoying and often quite embarrising It caused great amusement with our friends and became the standing joke on a night out.
    You have to have a second credit card as the AMEX is so bad. So what happens, you just end up using that card all the time.

Each year AMEX would send us a less than friendly letter telling us the account would be closed if we failed to use our card more and spend a minimum amount. Each year we would ring them and ask how exectly they expected us to do this when most retailers do not accept the card.

Now here come that best bit, on one occasion the person at AMEX asked me to name the shops and restaurants so they could ring them and ask them to start accepting the card! I was shocked, was this really a serious professional worldwide business suggesting such actions be taken.

Throughout the years there was a real arrogance to the way AMEX did business. They were always right and you the customer was always wrong.

In the end we decided to leave AMEX, we had no desire to go through the same hastle, stress and disappointment year on year any longer.

The best bit was AMEX telling us they were asking us to leave when we rang to cancel the cards as we were not the customers they wanted. i totally agree. DINKies, in professional jobs, frequently travelling, high spending, high earnings. Why would AMEX possibly want people like that?

We still get endless promotions asking us to join them dispite asking on several occasions to be removed from their systems and mailing lists.

As you might be able to tell the experieince is still raw for us both!
    • Tirian
    • By Tirian 1st Feb 12, 11:47 AM
    • 950 Posts
    • 365 Thanks
    Tirian
    • 1st Feb 12, 11:47 AM
    • 1st Feb 12, 11:47 AM
    I had an Amex SonyCard for a few years, mainly because of the intro offer which gave me a pretty decent freebie MP3 player - which was quite a good deal at the time.

I didn't use it for much after that, but I never had any great difficulties with it. Sure, quite a few places don't take it, but since most places have a sign showing the cards that they accept I never found it a particular problem. Got a few more decent Sony goods (a couple of very nice alarm clock radios, and then ditched it a couple of months ago when they removed the Sony reward program - no point having it after that really.

5% cashback is a decent offer - I'm half inclined to go for it, it's a free 75 after all.
    For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also ...
    • macalloa
    • By macalloa 1st Feb 12, 1:58 PM
    • 61 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    macalloa
    • 1st Feb 12, 1:58 PM
    Airport lounge access
    • 1st Feb 12, 1:58 PM
    Does Amex Platinum cashback card give free airport executive lounge access ?
    • AMILLIONDOLLARS
    • By AMILLIONDOLLARS 1st Feb 12, 2:23 PM
    • 2,242 Posts
    • 2,545 Thanks
    AMILLIONDOLLARS
    I got a letter yesterday saying they would be increasing the interest rate for this card in April. haven't got the details with me at the moment, but luckily this card stands at zero, so might cancel it.

AMD
    MORTGAGE FREE 17/10/2013!!
    6500 - PAID OFF Barclays @ 0% interest free 24mths
    • AMILLIONDOLLARS
    • By AMILLIONDOLLARS 2nd Feb 12, 10:12 AM
    • 2,242 Posts
    • 2,545 Thanks
    AMILLIONDOLLARS
    UPDATE: AMEX Platinum Cashback Credit Card

Now have letter to hand that states as of May's Statement the following will apply

Section 5.1 Interest Rate

The Purchase rate will change from 1.17% per month to 1.53% per month an from 14.9% per year to 19.9% per year.

Section 5.3
    Standard balance transfer rate will change by the same amount of interest increase.

Obviously if you wish to opt out of the changes you can do this by visiting their website at www.americanexpress.co.uk/optout, or you can call their Customer Service number. If you want to opt out you will need to do so before the 10th April 2012. Your Account will be closed and any existing balances will be charged at your current interest rate.

Hopes this help anyone

AMD
    Last edited by AMILLIONDOLLARS; 03-02-2012 at 9:41 AM.
    MORTGAGE FREE 17/10/2013!!
    6500 - PAID OFF Barclays @ 0% interest free 24mths
    • NFH
    • By NFH 2nd Feb 12, 1:50 PM
    • 4,329 Posts
    • 1,415 Thanks
    NFH
    Now here come that best bit, on one occasion the person at AMEX asked me to name the shops and restaurants so they could ring them and ask them to start accepting the card! I was shocked, was this really a serious professional worldwide business suggesting such actions be taken.
    Originally posted by Thesmiths
    They want to know where there's a problem so they can fix it. That seems like good business sense and good customer service, and not something to complain about.
    • NFH
    • By NFH 2nd Feb 12, 1:53 PM
    • 4,329 Posts
    • 1,415 Thanks
    NFH
    Noticed that at the weekend when a retailer was asking someone "Do you have any other cards or forms of payment?" after they tried to purchase goods to the value of 10. They blushed and got out a 10 note.
    Originally posted by Gromitt
    That puts the retailer in breach of Section 2(c)(i) of the Terms and Conditions for American Express Card Acceptance.
    • malcolmffc
    • By malcolmffc 2nd Feb 12, 5:18 PM
    • 331 Posts
    • 175 Thanks
    malcolmffc
    Anyone who is paying interest on an AMEX card is seriously misusing it.
    • skaterboy
    • By skaterboy 2nd Feb 12, 8:04 PM
    • 86 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    skaterboy
    Amex is the only Credit card that Costco accepts, so its a great card for me.

Just need Lidl to take the card and I'll be sorted ;-)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

552Posts Today

5,789Users online

Martin's Twitter