Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Former MSE Penelope
    'What'll happen to house prices in 2012?' poll
    • 31st Jan 12, 12:51 PM
    'What'll happen to house prices in 2012?' poll 31st Jan 12 at 12:51 PM
    Poll started 31 January 2012, click here to vote

What'll happen to house prices in 2012?

Annual UK house prices have reportedly fallen around 1% in the last year. So it's time for our regular poll to ask you where you think they'll go next.

What do you think'll happen to UK house prices over the next 12 months?

A. Increase by over 20% (big boom)
    B. Increase by 10-20% (boom)
    C. Increase by 5-10%
    D. Increase by 2-5%
    E. No real change
    F. Decrease by 2-5%
    G. Decrease by 5-10%
    H. Decrease by 10-20% (smaller crash)
    I. Decrease by over 20% (crash)
    J. I really have no idea
Page 1
    • By 2010 31st Jan 12, 1:36 PM
    • 4,244 Posts
    • 3,365 Thanks
    • 31st Jan 12, 1:36 PM
    • 31st Jan 12, 1:36 PM
    Who cares, I would have thought there are enough threads on the forum dealing with this pointless subject.
    Buy a house to LIVE IN.
    • landsker
    • By landsker 31st Jan 12, 1:43 PM
    • 65 Posts
    • 137 Thanks
    landsker
    • 31st Jan 12, 1:43 PM
    • 31st Jan 12, 1:43 PM
    If mortgage interest rates go up there will be very many repos. and the market will crash.

• Coveredinbees!!!!
    • By Coveredinbees!!!! 31st Jan 12, 1:55 PM
    • 3,177 Posts
    • 1,961 Thanks
    Coveredinbees!!!!
    • 31st Jan 12, 1:55 PM
    I just want to clear my mortgage before the rates do go up.

• MSE Martin
    • By MSE Martin 31st Jan 12, 1:55 PM
    • 8,115 Posts
    • 42,285 Thanks
    MSE Martin
    Who cares, I would have thought there are enough threads on the forum dealing with this pointless subject.
    Buy a house to LIVE IN.
    Originally posted by 2010

This is a discussion thread to a full site poll - the vote will likely have 20,000 people taking part. House prices are partly about sentiment so its a pretty good indicator of that. So overall I'd think quite a few people care - certainly the 250 who've voted in just the first 10 minutes.
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.

Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.

Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
    • torbrex
    • By torbrex 31st Jan 12, 2:00 PM
    • 61,883 Posts
    • 124,626 Thanks
    torbrex
    • 31st Jan 12, 2:00 PM
    • 31st Jan 12, 2:00 PM
    Buy a house to LIVE IN.
    Originally posted by 2010
    This is a discussion thread to a full site poll - the vote will likely have 20,000 people taking part. House prices are partly about sentiment so its a pretty good indicator of that. So overall I'd think quite a few people care - certainly the 250 who've voted in just the first 10 minutes.
    Originally posted by MSE Martin
    It would have been a good option for the poll.

k. I don't care, I bought my house to live in.
  • tescobabe69
    • 31st Jan 12, 2:52 PM
    • 31st Jan 12, 2:52 PM
    If mortgage interest rates go up there will be very many repos. and the market will crash.
    Originally posted by landsker
    Very big if.
    But I live in hope.
    • donny-gal
    • By donny-gal 31st Jan 12, 3:01 PM
    • 4,599 Posts
    • 38,150 Thanks
    donny-gal
    • 31st Jan 12, 3:01 PM
    • 31st Jan 12, 3:01 PM
    While everyone buys their house to live in, some need to buy small, and hopefully move on up as their family size/salary changes. No one wants to see what they have worked hard to get go down in value. DG
    Member #8 of the SKI-ers Club
    Why is it I have less time now I am retired then when I worked?
  • tescobabe69
    • 31st Jan 12, 4:01 PM
    • 31st Jan 12, 4:01 PM
    While everyone buys their house to live in, some need to buy small, and hopefully move on up as their family size/salary changes. No one wants to see what they have worked hard to get go down in value. DG
    Originally posted by donny-gal
    Think about it DG, if house prices drop by 25% will that make your move to a larger house easier or harder ?
    • donny-gal
    • By donny-gal 31st Jan 12, 5:09 PM
    • 4,599 Posts
    • 38,150 Thanks
    donny-gal
    We are fortunate, our mortgage is paid, it is our son who has to climb the ladder, but if his flat price drops by 25% then he will end up in debt for a large part of that amount, and as a 1 bedroom place on the second floor, does not allow for a family. DG
    • jimpix12
    • By jimpix12 31st Jan 12, 5:34 PM
    • 1,069 Posts
    • 956 Thanks
    jimpix12
    Does 'no real change' take into account a ~3% drop in real time prices owing to inflation etc?
    "The only man who makes money from a gold rush is the one selling the shovels..."
    • jimpix12
    • By jimpix12 31st Jan 12, 5:36 PM
    • 1,069 Posts
    • 956 Thanks
    jimpix12
    We are fortunate, our mortgage is paid, it is our son who has to climb the ladder, but if his flat price drops by 25% then he will end up in debt for a large part of that amount, and as a 1 bedroom place on the second floor, does not allow for a family. DG
    But in the long term others like your son will be able to afford housing if the prices go down to a suitable level of 3x income. In the short term your son goes into negative equity, in the long term he and every other FTB wins.

Surely it's blindingly obvious that lower house prices are better for the economy.. Surely.......?
    Last edited by jimpix12; 31-01-2012 at 5:42 PM.
    "The only man who makes money from a gold rush is the one selling the shovels..."
    • donny-gal
    • By donny-gal 31st Jan 12, 5:58 PM
    • 4,599 Posts
    • 38,150 Thanks
    donny-gal
    It still is a matter of where you live, he could have got a 3 bedroom detached bungalow around the corner from us, for half of what a flat in London costs, but they again the wages are much better. DG
  • tescobabe69
    It still is a matter of where you live, he could have got a 3 bedroom detached bungalow around the corner from us, for half of what a flat in London costs, but they again the wages are much better. DG
    OK on your sons behalf I hope property prices double, then we will all be better off.

• Saetana
    • By Saetana 1st Feb 12, 4:03 AM
    • 1,182 Posts
    • 2,298 Thanks
    Saetana
    We have to move away from this idea of buying houses with the main aim of making money from selling them (as individuals obviously, not talking about property developers). A house should be looked at as a place to live before anything else, most countries on the continent do not have a housing market like ours, they only move house when necessary for more space or for work, and there is a far higher level of renting (at a reasonable price) than in this country. The housing market plays far too big a part in our economy, for me I'd be happy to see house prices fall even further and then level out at a sensible figure - this may also tackle the issue of ridiculously high rents charged by private landlords and more people would be able to afford to buy their own home.
    2019 Wins: 45 cash, 125 vouchers, football shirt, 2 x meal out for 2 voucher, 4x scratchcard, 2 t-shirts, football, face cream, 85 sun creams, chocolates, coffee
  • oldmasterjds
    Surely looking at the overall market like this is pointless for most of us?
    Regional variations will mean the market moves up for many even it's down overall so this poll would be of more interest if it was regionalised..
    • Mistral001
    • By Mistral001 1st Feb 12, 9:41 AM
    • 3,747 Posts
    • 2,885 Thanks
    Mistral001
    Surely looking at the overall market like this is pointless for most of us?
    Regional variations will mean the market moves up for many even it's down overall so this poll would be of more interest if it was regionalised..
    Originally posted by oldmasterjds
    Also there is a quote from the famous economist, J K Galbraith, which is perhaps relevant. It goes as follows:

The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectable. J K Galbraith
  • mwil1969
    It will be the usual 10 year cycle 2007-2017 every 10 years this country goes property mad starting in London and heading north.
    Due to the new rules the banks have i don't think we will see the double digit rises we have in the past.
    • By 2010 1st Feb 12, 10:43 AM
    • 4,244 Posts
    • 3,365 Thanks
    Originally posted by MSE Martin
    This is a poll about guessing what house prices will do, a bit like guessing that other well worn subject, where share prices will head.
    The truth is NOBODY knows, despite that there are countless threads already arguing about it.

What I`m saying is, people should stop speculating about what their house price was, is and will be and buy one to live in.
    • lynneinjapan
    • By lynneinjapan 1st Feb 12, 12:53 PM
    • 384 Posts
    • 169 Thanks
    lynneinjapan
    Are we taking inflation into account? I voted "stay about the same" but that's absolute prices - i.e. a 100K house will still be about 100K in a year's time, but that's a drop in real terms once 5% or so of inflation is taken into account. In that respect I think we're looking at a slow decline for another couple of years and then prices will start to even out and then rise again.

But of course what will actually happen is anyone's guess!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

64Posts Today

2,127Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Oh if only one were brave/honest enough to say "my mental health" - in answer to the weakness question. I say this? https://t.co/RyihpzwPdY

• Been out with the little one, just got back and turned the #c4debate on. What have i missed? Who is winning?

• It's the weekend, it's the weekend, yay. It's that moment, when as usual, to sign off for family time. So I bid y? https://t.co/2RYRnz3fEe

• Follow Martin