Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 4th Jun 11, 11:19 AM
    • 9,343Posts
    • 17,889Thanks
    zippychick
    • 4th Jun 11, 11:19 AM
    4th Jun 11 at 11:19 AM
    Hi everyone,

Welcome to the first Grocery Challenge of 2012

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your December budget, then keep on posting in the December Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be 1 a week or 20 a week.

If you are currently spending 200 a month don't suddenly drop it to 100 - you'll never do it but if you cut 20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is 80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on 80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    For quidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #3, #4, #5 and #6 on this thread.

For everyones totals, see post #7 on this thread

I hope everyone has a great month!

Zip
    Last edited by zippychick; 27-12-2011 at 12:52 PM.
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

Page 161
    • kersplatt
    • By kersplatt 30th Jan 12, 7:39 PM
    • 81 Posts
    • 1,133 Thanks
    kersplatt
    I will declare my total as whatever it is currently in my sig - think it's about 80.70 for January - as I was paid last Wednesday so technically onto the next month monetary wise since I try to clear down my current account to as close to 1 as possible to start the new month afresh

Alreayd started spending on my February challenge though!!!!
    Separated 17/06/10, now dealing with the fallout

House sold and debt cleared 23rd May 2014. Now saving to get married!
    Current savings 0
    • tigerfeet2006
    • By tigerfeet2006 30th Jan 12, 7:43 PM
    • 13,826 Posts
    • 29,891 Thanks
    tigerfeet2006
    Boneless bacon wrapped chicken thighs stuffed with philly (GF)
    For tonights dinner I opened up the boneless thighs and put a teaspoon of philly in (I used Phillidelphia. Beware if you use a shops own one if you are GI as some like MrT contain gluten). Then I pulled the edges together and put it on a slice of bacon and wrapped the bacon round the thigh. Put it in the oven for 50-60 min on 220deg C until cooked.

I served it with new potatoes with some butter mixed through, carrots and peas.

I reckon that the meal cost me around 9-ish for 5 of us and I have a portion for the freezer.

I portioned up the rest of the thighs and bacon and I have 1 bag at a 1kg and one bag at 600gm of the breasts. The bacon is divided into 3 bags at 500gm and 1 bag of 250gm.

I have also put a wanted ad in our local Freegle for a freezer. Hopefully someone will be able to help out as it will be really useful to have another freezer.
    BSCno.87
    The only stupid question is an unasked one
    Loving life as a Kernow Hippy
  • WillgetOrganised
    Hi everyone

I am very excitedly able to declare my spend for the month at 251.02/350.00

I think this is the first month that I have come in under budget - especially by such an amount and I am over the moon. Lots of thanks goes to all the wonderful people on here as although I do not post every day I read all the posts and get lots of ideas and enthusiasm from this thread.

So thank you everyone

I will go over to the February thread to set my budget for next month....
    GROCERY CHALLENGE
    January 214.42/300.00
    February 268.37/325.00

DMP - Too high to admit in public
    • sistercas
    • By sistercas 30th Jan 12, 7:47 PM
    • 4,842 Posts
    • 58,667 Thanks
    sistercas
    tigerfeet the chicken and philly sounds delish i have favourited it
    • tigerfeet2006
    • By tigerfeet2006 30th Jan 12, 7:48 PM
    • 13,826 Posts
    • 29,891 Thanks
    tigerfeet2006
    Another NSD for me today. I have 3.30p for tomorrow and my new month starts on Wednesday. So hoping not to spend the 3.30p tomorrow and then I can add it to next month's challenge.

I made Cauliflower Rissoto for tea tonight. Sounds funny but is really yum. Followed this with HM lemon sponge. Also managed a batch of flapjacks for DHs lunchbox this week. They turned out better this time.

Just sampling a small glass of HM Sloe Gin now.......Oh the joys of the GC
    Originally posted by elizabunny
    Please can we have the recipes for the risotto and lemon sponge
    BSCno.87
    • tigerfeet2006
    • By tigerfeet2006 30th Jan 12, 7:53 PM
    • 13,826 Posts
    • 29,891 Thanks
    tigerfeet2006
    Just popped in to say that my thoughts are with you at this difficult time Winchelsea

NSD for me today. Lunch was stuff from the freezer reheated and dinner is courtesy of my flatmate.

I think I will need to spend money tomorrow though. I have four slices of (thin) bacon, 2 eggs, pasta and cheese. I will probably need some mushrooms, maybe more bacon and cream for to bulk out a carbonara style dish if I do it 'to the recipe'.

I was probably thinking of risking adding a handful of saut!ed celery (needs using up) and peas and upping the cheese (so it melts into the pasta) to avoid needing getting the extra mushrooms and cream. It is a risk though, so I'm not sure if I should play safe. I'll see how I feel in the morning.

Lunch and breakfast are sorted tomorrow so at least they are no spends
    Originally posted by NickJW
    Go oooooon! be a devil and risk it, you know you want to
    BSCno.87
    • Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 30th Jan 12, 7:58 PM
    • 3,305 Posts
    • 29,392 Thanks
    Suffolk lass
    Winchelsea So sorry my dear. Families are wonderful things and you are fortunate to have their support. My very best wishes to all of you for your loss.
    Save 12k in 2019 - #68 target is 7k 8,766.30 after Sep
    OS Grocery Challenge 2019 target 3k - 57.28% spent after Sep
    Mortgage Free Wannabes 2019 #37 108.23% 43,292.24 including Sep - reducing now to avoid fees
    MFIT T5 target to clear our mortgage completely (59,998) Q2 30,085 or 50.14% paid
    My DFD is here
    • NickJW
    • By NickJW 30th Jan 12, 7:59 PM
    • 678 Posts
    • 13,646 Thanks
    NickJW
    Go oooooon! be a devil and risk it, you know you want to
    Originally posted by tigerfeet2006
    Haha! I sound so sad don't I!

Your recipe with chicken, bacon and Philadelphia has seriously tempted me to go and get some chicken and philly from Mr W - but that will definately result in an overspend....

I'll just have force myself to give my concoction a go! Must.Stay.Away.From.Supermarket!
    Grocery Challenge 14 Jan 14 46.05/130

Grocery Challenge 13 -spent 1453.06
    Grocery Challenge 12 -spent 1565.51

DFD 1st March 2011
    • Florenceem
    • By Florenceem 30th Jan 12, 8:10 PM
    • 3,996 Posts
    • 52,590 Thanks
    Florenceem
    For tonights dinner I opened up the boneless thighs and put a teaspoon of philly in (I used Phillidelphia. Beware if you use a shops own one if you are GI as some like MrT contain gluten). Then I pulled the edges together and put it on a slice of bacon and wrapped the bacon round the thigh. Put it in the oven for 50-60 min on 220deg C until cooked.

I served it with new potatoes with some butter mixed through, carrots and peas.

I reckon that the meal cost me around 9-ish for 5 of us and I have a portion for the freezer.

I portioned up the rest of the thighs and bacon and I have 1 bag at a 1kg and one bag at 600gm of the breasts. The bacon is divided into 3 bags at 500gm and 1 bag of 250gm.

I have also put a wanted ad in our local Freegle for a freezer. Hopefully someone will be able to help out as it will be really useful to have another freezer.
    9 - seems a lot. Is that counting the stuff you had left over for the freezer?
    15 in 2015 1/15
    • tigerfeet2006
    • By tigerfeet2006 30th Jan 12, 8:11 PM
    • 13,826 Posts
    • 29,891 Thanks
    tigerfeet2006

Your recipe with chicken, bacon and Philadelphia has seriously tempted me to go and get some chicken and philly from Mr W - but that will definately result in an overspend....

I'll just have force myself to give my concoction a go! Must.Stay.Away.From.Supermarket!
    No you don't. I quite often find those meals that I am just cobbling together at the end of the month to use up all those odds and ends that are languishing are sometimes the best meals ever. The problem is those that turn out good quite often can't be replicated again

I must say the chicken,bacon and philly turned out absoultly spot on and was wolfed down by my gannets. Maybe put it on the menu plan for later on in the month.
    BSCno.87
    • tigerfeet2006
    • By tigerfeet2006 30th Jan 12, 8:12 PM
    • 13,826 Posts
    • 29,891 Thanks
    tigerfeet2006
    9 - seems a lot.
    Originally posted by Florenceem
    You know what I think you are right. Will just go and calculate again.

ETA: You are right, a miscalulation on my part. More like 7 for the five of us plus 4 thighs and veg (divided into 2 boxes of 2 thighs and veg.) in the freezer, so 7 meals in total.
    Last edited by tigerfeet2006; 30-01-2012 at 8:20 PM.
    BSCno.87
  • elizabunny
    Please can we have the recipes for the risotto and lemon sponge
    Yes of course, I have added the links below:- As they were not my own creations Wish I was that clever!

We love the Cauliflower Risotto and have made it several times
    http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/risotto/cauliflower-risotto-risotto-ai-cavolfior

and we think this is gorgeous
    http://www.joyofbaking.com/LemonSpongePudding.html

Enjoy
    Sealed Pot Challenge 7 Member 022
    5:2 Diet started 28/1/2013 only 13lbs lost due to Xmas 2013 blip.
  • kj*daisy
    Declaring at 273 out of 300So very pleased with that..
    I will leave the budget the same for Feb. We are 2 adults and 2 kids, this includes all spends in the supermarket including cleaning products.
    Grocery challenge July 250

45 asd*/
  • PolkaDotsAndLace
    Declaring at 200.41 or thereabouts, since I shouldn't need to buy anything tomorrow. Over due to that ruddy takeaway! Planning new tactics for February...time to hop off to that thread now.
    February Grocery Challenge - 100.87/180
    February Don't Throw Food Away Challenge - 0.60/1.50
    • TheThriftyScrumpers
    • By TheThriftyScrumpers 30th Jan 12, 9:04 PM
    • 272 Posts
    • 5,359 Thanks
    TheThriftyScrumpers
    Hello all, I'm not declaring for this month as it has not been at all typical. As some of you may know, my DH Bill died of bronchopneumonia on 7th January. Our fantastic family and I are beginning to get back to normal a bit now, but as you can imagine, spending has been all over the place.

So I'll be back on track for February.

Well done everyone else on January efforts.
    Originally posted by Winchelsea
    I am so sorry for your loss. You are in my thoughts and prayers xx
    GC Mar 11 437.08Apr 11 459.26 May 11 485.52 June 11 423.79July 11 409.22 Aug 11 250.10Sept 11 396.14Oct 11 382.37Nov 11 372.55Dec 11 332.29 Jan 12 375.19:Feb 12 349.58Mar 12 279.66Apr 12 249.12May 12 337.66/Jun 12 362.58/Jul 12 317.03/Aug 12 354.02/Sept 439.72/Oct 12 210.16
    • hazzie123
    • By hazzie123 30th Jan 12, 9:04 PM
    • 2,488 Posts
    • 3,319 Thanks
    hazzie123
    My budget for the rest of the year is 3070,so far I've spent 230.Hoping only to need milk and veg for the next couple of weeks.
    Debt Free Date:10/09/2007
    • ModestyB
    • By ModestyB 30th Jan 12, 9:20 PM
    • 1,573 Posts
    • 15,283 Thanks
    ModestyB
    Hello all, I'm not declaring for this month as it has not been at all typical. As some of you may know, my DH Bill died of bronchopneumonia on 7th January. Our fantastic family and I are beginning to get back to normal a bit now, but as you can imagine, spending has been all over the place.

So I'll be back on track for February.

Well done everyone else on January efforts.
    Originally posted by Winchelsea
    I'm so sorry for your loss. Thinking of you and your family.
    Hugs to you and yours.
    S.P.C. 9 2016 No. 062 Banked 337.50
    My Gold Stars off Sue.
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 30th Jan 12, 9:51 PM
    • 3,602 Posts
    • 40,592 Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    Winchelsea so sorry to hear your news. Hugs.
    • freyasmum
    • By freyasmum 30th Jan 12, 10:04 PM
    • 16,731 Posts
    • 48,923 Thanks
    freyasmum

You don't need cream - it's an English addition Same as cheese and most other stuff as well.

This recipe, if you want one, doesn't have cream in it. And not too much bacon either.

It's not exactly easy though, is it

We love the Cauliflower Risotto and have made it several times
    http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/risotto/cauliflower-risotto-risotto-ai-cavolfior
    Originally posted by elizabunny
    Thanks for that!!

I'm having a bit of a love affair with cauliflower right now. I cauliflower biryani - it's a favourite in this house now

I'm also gonna try a cauliflower tart. A bit like cauliflower cheese in a quiche I think it'd be lovely as a meal in the slightly warmer, but not quite cold food and salad weather months
    • ModestyB
    • By ModestyB 30th Jan 12, 10:07 PM
    • 1,573 Posts
    • 15,283 Thanks
    ModestyB
    Hi all, after doing so well and nearly coming in under budget, I've had a relapse and gone over by 17.67. There were small shops in Ald! and the fruit shop and then I spent 22.50 on puppy food. I suppose I could take that out of Feb's budget as it won't be opened for a few days. Nope! I'll declare it on Jan's. So that's 217.67/200.00 which I'm quite happy about.
    If anyone's interested, the dry puppy food is in a 15kg bag, comes from Just for Pets and is on offer, down from 35.80 to 25.00. I had an in-house voucher for 2.50 that knocked it down for me.
    See you all over on the Feb thread.
    Hugs.
    S.P.C. 9 2016 No. 062 Banked 337.50
    My Gold Stars off Sue.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

270Posts Today

3,622Users online

Martin's Twitter