Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 4th Jun 11, 11:19 AM
    • 9,343Posts
    • 17,889Thanks
    zippychick
    • 4th Jun 11, 11:19 AM
    4th Jun 11 at 11:19 AM
    Hi everyone,

Welcome to the first Grocery Challenge of 2012

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your December budget, then keep on posting in the December Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be £1 a week or £20 a week.

If you are currently spending £200 a month don't suddenly drop it to £100 - you'll never do it but if you cut £20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is £80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on £80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    For quidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #3, #4, #5 and #6 on this thread.

For everyones totals, see post #7 on this thread

I hope everyone has a great month!

Zip
    Last edited by zippychick; 27-12-2011 at 12:52 PM.
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

Page 133
    • Kylieminoag
    • By Kylieminoag 22nd Jan 12, 5:07 PM
    • 159 Posts
    • 2,649 Thanks
    Kylieminoag
    Questions questions!
    2 NSDs on the trot for me.... that'll help me get through to payday without going over.

Please can I ask if you do come under budget what do you do with the underspend? I dont know whether to save it in my sealed pot or carry it forward.

Also - as we get near to the end of the month is it a new thread for the new challenge? - I'd like to reduce my target for february a bit

Thanks
    DFWNerd 1417
    MFW by 2018 Jan 2012 £186,000 Sept 2015 £50,000
    • mothershipton
    • By mothershipton 22nd Jan 12, 5:11 PM
    • 301 Posts
    • 2,692 Thanks
    mothershipton
    have just totted up this months spend so far only £164, this is because we are still eating from the freezer and christmas stuff!!
    • rising from the ashes
    • By rising from the ashes 22nd Jan 12, 5:38 PM
    • 12,321 Posts
    • 59,551 Thanks
    rising from the ashes
    Please can I ask if you do come under budget what do you do with the underspend? I dont know whether to save it in my sealed pot or carry it forward.

Also - as we get near to the end of the month is it a new thread for the new challenge? - I'd like to reduce my target for february a bit
    Originally posted by Kylieminoag
    Up to you what you do with any underspend ..... mine goes into a "pot" to help balance out with months that there may be a bit more spent if I stock up but I work an annual budget rather than a monthly one so there will always be peaks & troughs in this.

I think some use it for a treat, or extra money for summer hols and others to put towards Christmas etc ... entirely up to you

The February thread will probably be up and running by the end of the coming week - there's always a few days where 2 threads run as some people run by calander month and others use various other dates to fit in with paydays etc.

If your "Feb" has already started, post up your budget in Red letters with a "F" or FEB beside it and HelenJelly will add it to the new thread once it appears and keep posting here meantime.

Well done on coming in under budget
    Grocery Challenge £211/£455 (01/01-31/03)
    2016 Sell: £125/£250
    £1,000 Emergency Fund Challenge #78 £3.96 / £1,000
    Vet Fund: £410.93 / £1,000
    Debt free & determined to stay that way!
  • LondonDreamer
    2 NSDs on the trot for me.... that'll help me get through to payday without going over.

Thanks
    Originally posted by Kylieminoag
    I move any underspend from my entire budget (not just groceries) into savings. I can transfer it back out if I genuinely need it, but usually find I don't miss it if it's not there.

There will be a new thread for February, should be started any day now.
  • Brassic Park
    NSD today... thank goodness!
    Future hopes, dreams & emergencies fund: £4,000
    No. Internet. Shopping.
    • CherryPie
    • By CherryPie 22nd Jan 12, 5:44 PM
    • 427 Posts
    • 5,349 Thanks
    CherryPie
    OK, I've decided on £100 for Feb. This is my first GC of 2012 so need to get into the swing of it pdq.

Have enjoyed reading through the thread for inspiration to get me started.

My name is CherryPie and I'm addicted to grocery shopping!!

Grocery Challenge

Feb 2016 - £46.73 / £100.00
    • debbiedeejay
    • By debbiedeejay 22nd Jan 12, 6:08 PM
    • 504 Posts
    • 5,182 Thanks
    debbiedeejay
    Extra spend to declare - did a swift recky on the Mr T Expre$$ in town last night (I know ....I really know to have a good night out)

Included in my £8.49 spend where the Xmas Crackers for next year reduced to £1.25(note to self,they are now on top of wardrobe ,else I forget)plus 4 boxes of Lind£s McC&rtn£ys veggie sausages at 49p per packet!Not sure why they were on at that price but I bought last 4.

Best bit was two of the boxes of said sausages were for another member of family but they weren't in(no room for all boxes in my freezer) -so I posted them through letter box,and then had a slight panic thinking they might be away for weekend.

Luckily a hastily sent text assured me that they were on the way home within the half hour.Phew.
    Crazy Clothes Challenge 2012 £57.20/£100,CCC 2013 £68.67/£100 ,CCC 2014 £94.32/£100
    *Frugal Living Challenge 2012, 2013, 2014*
    GC 2014 Jan £154.14/£180;Feb £103.49/£180;Mar 117.63/£160
  • cat_smith
    Hello all. Just popping in to update. £80.53/£200 spent so far this month. And 18/22 NSD's. The freezer is still fully stocked and I'm going to have to play Tetris tonight as we are indulging in a cheeky takeaway. As we are paying delivery anyway I always order a bit extra to divide up for the freezer.

OK. Off to rubberise a pot roasted chicken and make stock.
    GC Mar 13 £47.36/£150
  • rachbc
    a bit of a spendy day today but think I am sorted til end of the month (ex bread and milk)

£27 in lidl - regretting only getting 5 packs of 74p sausages but never had them before and didn't want to get tons and not like them!

£16 in aldi but that inc 2 packs of hand warmers for the kids

£13 in jollyes on cat food and chicken straw.

Running total for the month is £186

Have over spent on the 'other's area of my budget though as dd's gym fees needed paying, ds needed new shoes and I spluged on a few household bits but they are making life easier so any savings in groceries will offset that!
    People seem not to see that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson
    • ModestyB
    • By ModestyB 22nd Jan 12, 6:35 PM
    • 1,573 Posts
    • 15,283 Thanks
    ModestyB
    TRy contacting them - I had the same problem with an online order from Whittards before christmas - except this time I forgot to put the number in at all - they credited me with the difference.
    Originally posted by Ninno820
    Thanks for this, I'll give it a try tomorrow. Don't suppose anyone will be there now.

Hugs.
    S.P.C. 9 2016 No. 062 Banked £337.50
    My Gold Stars off Sue.
    • Justamum
    • By Justamum 22nd Jan 12, 6:35 PM
    • 4,689 Posts
    • 35,913 Thanks
    Justamum
    Included in my £8.49 spend where the Xmas Crackers for next year reduced to £1.25(note to self,they are now on top of wardrobe ,else I forget)
    Originally posted by debbiedeejay
    You could put a reminder note on your mobile phone to go off sometime in December when you start looking for all your Christmas stuff.

• linz4383
    • By linz4383 22nd Jan 12, 6:40 PM
    • 287 Posts
    • 4,276 Thanks
    linz4383
    made home made chicken nuggets tonite (with whoopsied chicken breast ) absolutely gorgeous! really enjoyed them!!! finally a NSD today
    House deposit £0/£10000
    Loan £6,065.43- £5803.30
    credit card £3,932.25 - £4233.40
  • lula_moneybaggins
    End of the month draws near - thank goodness!
    Hi all

Just one shopping spree to report this week. Spent £21.59 in Mr Ts and 2.80 in B**ts on a lunchtime sushi box as I'd forgotten my lunch. The shop in Mr Ts did include loo rolls (9 for £3.50) and tuna (John West 4 tins for £3.49), so all in all I was quite pleased with my spend.

That brings me to £109.41 out of a budget of £120 for the longest-month-ever-known-to-man. Pretty confident I can see out the month with the pittance I have left, and I get paid on Friday (Hurrah!).

Something I quite discovered by accident last week was that it is the need for milk that drives me to go to the SM, as I need it for the copious amounts of tea I drink. However, I have discovered that wine is a more than satisfactory replacement for tea in any event, and means I don't care when I run out of milk!

Off to update sig
    Debt Jan 09 = £10,046 Debt-free since 16/12/2011
    Save £12,000 in 2012: £11,403.13/12,000
    Save £12,000 in 2013: £4000/£12,000
    • quintwins
    • By quintwins 22nd Jan 12, 7:04 PM
    • 5,058 Posts
    • 29,569 Thanks
    quintwins
    another nsd today, was planning to go shopping but it started to rain so i didn't, had a dig in the freezer and cooked soem sausages and bacon for dinner, took out a bag of frozen baps the kids can have the rest in the morning, served it with fried egg, beans and cheese, was very nice, and more importantly very cheap and made some freezer space

Can i have £150 for feb please
    Last edited by quintwins; 22-01-2012 at 7:07 PM.
    OCT GC £196.12/£200
    • JIL
    • By JIL 22nd Jan 12, 7:04 PM
    • 4,945 Posts
    • 25,059 Thanks
    JIL
    Cheese and nut loaf

Tonight I made a lovely nut loaf, which even the extremely carnivorous husband said tasted really meaty.

I had some malted bread rolls that were going a bit hard so I blended them into breadcrumbs. (2 medium sized ones)

Then I added 75g ish mixed nuts I roughly chopped, added a handful of mixed seeds and a mixture of some of the ends of cheeses we had left over from Christmas, and a big dollop of cream cheese with garlic and herbs.

I fryed off in a little butter some onion, celery and grated carrot.

I added this to the breadcrumbs, nuts and cheeses with 2 eggs.

Put it in a lined loaf tin and baked it for 40 mins.

I made 10 very generous slices from it, had one with my tea with veges and froze the rest.
    • rising from the ashes
    • By rising from the ashes 22nd Jan 12, 7:07 PM
    • 12,321 Posts
    • 59,551 Thanks
    rising from the ashes
    Something I quite discovered by accident last week was that it is the need for milk that drives me to go to the SM, as I need it for the copious amounts of tea I drink. However, I have discovered that wine is a more than satisfactory replacement for tea in any event, and means I don't care when I run out of milk!
    Originally posted by lula_moneybaggins
    Ahhhhhaaaa that's my problem too .... and as it's an 18 mile round trip I always feel I have to buy something else when I'm there to justify the fuel

Will be trying the wine trick and seeing if it helps!
    Grocery Challenge £211/£455 (01/01-31/03)
    2016 Sell: £125/£250
    £1,000 Emergency Fund Challenge #78 £3.96 / £1,000
    Vet Fund: £410.93 / £1,000
    Debt free & determined to stay that way!
  • Ninno820
    Thanks for this, I'll give it a try tomorrow. Don't suppose anyone will be there now.

Hugs.
    Originally posted by ModestyB
    I emailed Whittard using the contact us details on the web site
    44 day challenge

1. Pay £650 off overdraft (£ 288/ £650)
    2. Lose 12 lbs (4.5/ 12)
    3. Use YNAB everyday (6/44)
  • M0neysav3r
    Another £2.68 today... A reduced Extra Large Chicken (huge thing - will do the three of us for 4 meals) and some other bits!
    No Debts (Other than HUGE mortgage! )
    Generally trying to cut back where possible
    GC - March £143.82 / £200 Feb £156.03 / £150 Oops! Jan £180.78/£200
    • PennyGrabber
    • By PennyGrabber 22nd Jan 12, 7:20 PM
    • 1,268 Posts
    • 22,438 Thanks
    PennyGrabber
    made home made chicken nuggets tonite (with whoopsied chicken breast ) absolutely gorgeous! really enjoyed them!!! finally a NSD today
    Originally posted by linz4383

Glad you liked them - my two really enjoy making them, and I'm the talk of the town when I serve them up on the party food table at the children's parties!! Whoopsied breast makes it even more !!!
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan £87.97/£100 Feb £0/£100
    Frugal 2018 needed! Saving and NOT spending
    • PennyGrabber
    • By PennyGrabber 22nd Jan 12, 7:33 PM
    • 1,268 Posts
    • 22,438 Thanks
    PennyGrabber
    I just have to share my weekly shop I did yesterday! I was so excited! (and it's ok, I realise that's completely sad!)

DD had a ballet lesson at half 12, so my plan was to do the shopping, drop her off, then go home and put it away, then pick her up after her lesson en route to my mum's. This plan actually worked. I didn't spend ages in the shop mooching, as we were on a deadline; the children had been warned not to ask for things today, or to stop and look at things; I shared my list with DD, who is very good at ms, as she knows I'm saving up for us to go to Australia to visit her best friend!! So, we went around, went up some aisles, but not all, and used a small trolley. Ch were very good and held onto the sides (unheard of normally!), and helped to look out for things. We got a few treats, like some (basics) crumpets and some doughnuts to take to mum's, and I bought a year's supply of teabags - sounds more impressive than it is - typh00 are half price at sains, £2.58 or something like that for 240 bags. I drink less than a cup a day at home, so that'll keep me going for ages! Anyway, I digress..

Lots of basics items in the trolley, and cheaper things. Got to checkout, still with time to spare. The girl said £17.24 please, and I asked her to take off my reward points, so then she said £2.24 please!!!! My whole week's shopping cost £2.24! Well, I did spend £4 Fri on a couple of melons and some other bits, but still! £2.24!! Can you feel the excitement coming through your screen right now?!?!?

Even better/more ironic, was that my mum couldn't believe it, she'd spent £80 odd that morning, and didn't have anything for dinner!!!

I felt very , and now much more confident on coming in on my budget. Sig updated.

Have a good week back at work everyone, and keep those purses closed!

PG x
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan £87.97/£100 Feb £0/£100
    Frugal 2018 needed! Saving and NOT spending
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

576Posts Today

5,798Users online

Martin's Twitter