Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 6th May 05, 7:59 PM
    • 33,829Posts
    • 39,965Thanks
    Browntoa
    Free Premium Rate Dialler Blocker Software
    • 6th May 05, 7:59 PM
    Free Premium Rate Dialler Blocker Software 6th May 05 at 7:59 PM
    BT have just lauched this free download

http://www.btmodemprotection.com/

In response to the growing problems internet users are experiencing regarding unregistered diallers BT have developed a software application that will help combat the issue and minimise the probability of an end user being tricked by unregistered diallers into making these calls.

By monitoring dial-up connections our software will alert you anytime your computer attempts to dial a premium rate, international or non-approved number. The software is for information purposes only, it will alert you to the fact you are dialling a premium rate number, it will not stop the call, it is your responsibility to cease the call if necessary by disconnecting. If in any doubt you should unplug your modem and check your settings before attempting to redial.

Once downloaded, the software automatically launches everytime you start your computer. It monitors internet dial-up connections and alerts you when unauthorised users attempt to dial restricted numbers. When suspicious activity is noticed a display window will warn "You are attempting to dial a premium rate, international or non-approved number. If you do not want to proceed with this call hang up. If in any doubt you should unplug your modem and check your settings before attempting to redial".

If you are alerted by this window you should unplug your modem and run your anti-virus software to check for problems.
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 17-05-2005 at 11:45 AM.
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
Page 1
  • Inspector_Clouseau
    • 7th May 05, 10:15 PM
    Try this instead...
    • 7th May 05, 10:15 PM
    Try this instead this long awaited software claims to stop International and Premium rate numbers from being dialled from your PC.

https://www.bt.com/btprivacyonline/

Spread the word!!
  • andy88
    • 8th May 05, 12:21 AM
    • 8th May 05, 12:21 AM
    Apologies Monsieur l'Inspecteur but this is exactly the same product. The link off the page you mention goes straight to the page Browntoa gave.

Hardly worth a new thread as well
    • tobykim
    • By tobykim 8th May 05, 2:17 PM
    • 432 Posts
    • 252 Thanks
    tobykim
    • 8th May 05, 2:17 PM
    • 8th May 05, 2:17 PM
    Just read the faqs and note that it will only work on sp2 as I've just given the link to someone who is on dial up so I don't know if it'll work on theirs
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 8th May 05, 5:38 PM
    • 33,829 Posts
    • 39,965 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 8th May 05, 5:38 PM
    • 8th May 05, 5:38 PM
    it's designed for dial - up ?? :confused:

not a problem on broadband

if you need to upgrade to SP2 on dial up then go to PC-World and pick up the free disk !!!
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • tobykim
    • By tobykim 8th May 05, 5:42 PM
    • 432 Posts
    • 252 Thanks
    tobykim
    • 8th May 05, 5:42 PM
    • 8th May 05, 5:42 PM
    I know I've got the disc here but I don't know if they have sp2 installed, I don't use sp2 myself installed it and didn't like it as it slowed everything also I'm on broadband so don't need a dialer blocker but I sent the link to someone else
  • navid
    • 8th May 05, 11:54 PM
    • 8th May 05, 11:54 PM
    Why not ask BT or your other provider to just pemanantly block the premium rate numbers from your line?
  • draig
    • 19th May 05, 11:40 PM
    • 19th May 05, 11:40 PM
    or better yet, just get a firewall like zonealarm then if a dialler tries to make a new connection it'll have to ask you for permission first!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,051Posts Today

9,697Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Major new guide... Brexit, what it means for you and your finances: M mortgages, savings, flights, consumer rights? https://t.co/SXCMG2qXwX

• Have you haggled on the high street in the last year? If so who with and did you succeed? Please vote in this week? https://t.co/fdzmmFfA4u

• Warning: Energy price comparisons are now WRONG due to the price cap - it needs fixing - my letter to Ofgem alerti? https://t.co/vE9IHyM58X

• Follow Martin