Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 4th Jun 11, 11:19 AM
    • 9,343Posts
    • 17,889Thanks
    zippychick
    • 4th Jun 11, 11:19 AM
    4th Jun 11 at 11:19 AM
    Hi everyone,

Welcome to the first Grocery Challenge of 2012

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your December budget, then keep on posting in the December Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be 1 a week or 20 a week.

If you are currently spending 200 a month don't suddenly drop it to 100 - you'll never do it but if you cut 20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is 80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on 80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    For quidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #3, #4, #5 and #6 on this thread.

For everyones totals, see post #7 on this thread

I hope everyone has a great month!

Zip
    Last edited by zippychick; 27-12-2011 at 12:52 PM.
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

Page 122
  • money saving hedgehog
    Sugar I'm sure I read on a thread the other day that B&M (or somewhere similar - sorry I've forgotten) had sugar for 79p .... so it may be worth a hunt around if you've one nearby.

ETA I just did a quick search to try to find it but was on page 10 and only back to the 16th with all the threads it threw up so I'm afraid I've called it quits just now - will try to think where I saw it.
    Originally posted by rising from the ashes
    Bought sugar today in poundstretcher for 79p or 2 for 1.50.
    2015 in 2015 (Although actual goal is 10 a day)
  • rosieben
    Sorry Rosieben, link does not seem to work
    Originally posted by sproggi
    sorry sproggi, if you do an Advanced search for 'Meal plans' and make sure you select 'titles only', that should give you a list of meal plan threads as long as your arm
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
    • mummyyof5
    • By mummyyof5 19th Jan 12, 9:03 PM
    • 1,839 Posts
    • 39,830 Thanks
    mummyyof5
    Wish we had a Poundstretcher...cheapest sugar I can find is a bag weighing 1.25 kilo from Poundland.

3.50 on fruit and eggs from market.
    6.00 in Poundland
    52.00 in MrMs...61.50 to add to sig xx
    Feeding 6 Adults 1 Teen a 8 year old with hollow legs and a very fussy 5 year old. Also 3 cats and 3 fishies
    To include all Food,Toiletries and Petfood.
  • rosieben
    A bit late to start now but would love to join for February
    Originally posted by samarnesen
    you might like to keep a note of all your spends for the rest of this month, it could help you set your budget in Feb but do post in this thread if you like

... wondered do i post on here or wait for February to be started up?
    Originally posted by chirpychick
    there's no reason why you can't join in this thread and move to the Feb thread when it goes up (around 28th of the month usually)

I hope noone minds, I've made a 2nd purse spreadsheet for people to download here ...
    Originally posted by kerri_dfw
    fab job, kerri, thanks very much I've put a link to your post in the index
    Last edited by rosieben; 19-01-2012 at 9:18 PM.
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
    • freakyogre
    • By freakyogre 19th Jan 12, 9:11 PM
    • 1,454 Posts
    • 9,410 Thanks
    freakyogre
    16.82 spent...I think.

10.79 @ Tesco - I had a friend to stay for a few days and some of the shopping bought wasn't all for me, but i'll count the full amount.
    89p @ Sainsbury's.
    5.14 @ Aldi today on kiwis, grapes, oranges, bananas, juice and tuna.
    Grocery challenge - Nov: 52/100
  • rej-c
    Hi all. I'm about, ooh, 45 pages behind now, but still haven't given up hope of catching up with everything that's been going on... possibly catching up around the middle of April at this rate, but you never know

I'm adding my first spends since last weekend - 5.44 on offers at Waitro$e on the way home tonight - yummy Blue Dragon wholewheat noodles [86p/pk, usually more like 1.20], a head of broccoli [1/3 off the usual price] and a couple of packs of a favourite lazy treat, Tilda Mushroom rice pouches [1/pk], for the storecupboard.

Also added: 3 NSDs, Mon-Weds. Aiming for plenty more of those - I have to rack up another 9 to hit my NSD target...

Really looking forward to payday, and really struggling to resist sweeties and chocolates at the mo for some reason. But resist I must, for GC and SW reasons...
    Haven't done the GC since February, but a glance at the Tower of Receipts tells me I really need to get back into it... and plenty of other Challenges besides.
    • carolinerunner
    • By carolinerunner 19th Jan 12, 9:40 PM
    • 491 Posts
    • 6,304 Thanks
    carolinerunner
    Only spent 3 today on 2lbs of cod trimmings from the fishmonger, what a bargain. Lovely cod in cheese sauce tomorrow for supper. Oh and 4 packs of reduced charity shop Christmas cards at 79p a pack, is that taking advantage of the charity shop or just giving them some money they might not have got otherwise? I'm never sure... have already got very reduced gift wrap from A$da so have made a small start on Christmas 2012 already, that'll be it now till November!
    Erratically money saving
  • LittleMissHappy
    Got a Mr T shop being delivered tomorrow which will be around 80 but will update sig when I get the exact amount Not doing too badly at the moment, lots of room for bargain buying (if I can ever find any )
    Be the change you want to see in the world - Gandhi
    OU - DD100 (P ), DSE141 (D ), DSE212 (P ), ED209 (02/12), DXR222 (07/12) SD226 (02/13)
    • TylersMummy
    • By TylersMummy 19th Jan 12, 11:08 PM
    • 132 Posts
    • 1,218 Thanks
    TylersMummy
    I was given a 4 off when you spend 30 voucher by Mr Ts so used the opportunity to buy 30s worth of baby formula (this doesn't come out of my GC budget) and I thought I'd grab the normal weekly things I usually do like milk, bread, meat for sandwiches, fresh veg for roast on sunday etc. Also grabbed some pasta as we ran out tonight. It all came to just over 36 with my 4 voucher and I also qualified for a new offer they're doing which is a free book on fruit usually 7.99, full of recipes and stuff when you spend 40 or more.

Excluding the formula which comes out of another budget, it's a 9.30 spend on groceries today. Shouldn't need to spend for a couple of days now.

Mummy to 1. Devoted wife. Christmas addict! Life lover. Thrifter & Crafter. OU Student
    • hamish222
    • By hamish222 19th Jan 12, 11:20 PM
    • 707 Posts
    • 3,004 Thanks
    hamish222
    Pleased with myself as have been eating out freezer and keeping spends down. Spent 30.95 in 10 days which is great for me. Keeping it up for another week to get freezer cleared out.
    • SueP19
    • By SueP19 20th Jan 12, 6:37 AM
    • 1,706 Posts
    • 14,488 Thanks
    SueP19
    Sugar I'm sure I read on a thread the other day that B&M (or somewhere similar - sorry I've forgotten) had sugar for 79p .... so it may be worth a hunt around if you've one nearby.

ETA I just did a quick search to try to find it but was on page 10 and only back to the 16th with all the threads it threw up so I'm afraid I've called it quits just now - will try to think where I saw it.
    Originally posted by rising from the ashes
    It's Home Bargains

Spent 87p on whoopsied bread yesterday
    Last edited by SueP19; 20-01-2012 at 6:42 AM.
    Mort Oct 15 70,353 66,422 58,804 MF Dec 31 Jun 31(191 176 mnths)
    EF 2016 700/1,000 Debt May 09 30,217Oct 17 14,093Nov 18 6,336.12[/B]
    • tigerfeet2006
    • By tigerfeet2006 20th Jan 12, 6:41 AM
    • 13,812 Posts
    • 29,889 Thanks
    tigerfeet2006
    Spicy Meatballs with Pea Pilaf (GF)
    This was a new one for us. I made the meatballs and the yoghurt mix in the morning and bunged it in the fridge for dinner time. Just made it easier for later timewise.

This serves four but you can stretch it to five.
    Put a 700g pack of mince in a bowl with 2tsp chili powder (adjust to how spicy you like things), 2 cloves of garlic-chopped ( or to taste), season with salt and pepper. Mix together well. Make into walnut size balls.

Chop half a cumbuber into small bits and mix with 300ml yoghurt and season well.

Heat some oil in a pan and bung 2 chopped cloves of garlic in with 300gms rice and mix together and fry for 30secs. Add 900ml veg stock ( I use Bisto Best), simmer for 15 mins or until almost all the liquid is absorbed and rice is cooked.

Meanwhile heat some oil in a pan and cook the meatballs in batches over a medium heat. Remove from pan and keep warm.

Add a couple of handful of peas to the rice and cook until heated through. Stir in zest and juice of a lemon and season well.

Serve the meatballs on the rice with the yoghurt mix spooned over.

Clean plates all round in the TF household. If I had MSE more DH would have quite happily scoffed them.

REMEMBER TO CHECK ALL INGREDIENTS BEFORE USING AS THEY CAN CHANGE OVER TIME.
    Last edited by tigerfeet2006; 20-01-2012 at 6:44 AM.
    BSCno.87
    The only stupid question is an unasked one
    I now live in a country that is 4 hours ahead of the UK so you may now find I post at weird times
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]
  • katie j
    153.48 spent so far this month and off to my first farmers market this morning. Seem to be getting through the bread flour pretty quickly (made a fab naan bread this week on top of the usual muffins/ breads) - anyone know where this can be bought in bigger bags?
    Grocery Challenge 2012
    January 300
    (Us two, 2 kids, 2 cats and 1 rabbit)
  • PolkaDotsAndLace
    Managed an NSD yesterday hoping for another today, just depends if I can eke out the milk till tomorrow morning, should manage it if I have a couple of black coffees rather than adding milk.

Need to sit down and get shopping list sorted today as well, think I have meal plan all sorted though.
    February Grocery Challenge - 100.87/180
    February Don't Throw Food Away Challenge - 0.60/1.50
    • mrs-moneypenny
    • By mrs-moneypenny 20th Jan 12, 8:14 AM
    • 15,518 Posts
    • 198,189 Thanks
    mrs-moneypenny
    morning all
    nsd again yesterday havent been shopping since monday!!!
    leek and quorn pie for tea last night and jacket pots for dinner
    sweet potato and goats cheese pie for tea tonight and rice for dinner.
    promised a friend ill bake cakes for her DDs party tomorrow, going to bake this afty and ice tomorrow morning so planing on doing some twinks hobnobs at the same time to fill our tin for the weekend.
    got to go out to the hole in the wall in a bit so will drop of christmas cards and batteries for recycling and then do my shopping list for tomorrow
    have a good weekend all
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
    • tessie bear
    • By tessie bear 20th Jan 12, 8:21 AM
    • 4,324 Posts
    • 29,759 Thanks
    tessie bear
    hi...got chicken for tea tonight so not much to do except a bit of peeling...think i will do some fruit for pudding
    off to lidl tomorrow as want to geta few bits for our chinese new year meal also might get some of the pasta sauce

planning a nsd today but u never know
    tess
    onwards and upwards
    • quintwins
    • By quintwins 20th Jan 12, 8:23 AM
    • 5,003 Posts
    • 29,347 Thanks
    quintwins
    morning all, i had been thinking we don't drink enough milk, i've cut down to buying one 2 litre a week, which is mostly drank by ds3 the older 2 get milk twice in school and yogurts so they do get dairy, i mentioned this to hubby and he agreed so we drank a whole bottle with tea, i'm gonna nip soon and get 6 litres for over the weekend and some spuds from the farm shop in abit

we're having roast something for tea, i think it's pork shoulder, either that or gammon cause i never buy beef (far too expensive) will dig out some turnip from the freezer to go with it and serve with mash, roasties and yorkshires
    DFW 7632/28996 26.3%
    • tigerfeet2006
    • By tigerfeet2006 20th Jan 12, 8:25 AM
    • 13,812 Posts
    • 29,889 Thanks
    tigerfeet2006
    morning all
    nsd again yesterday havent been shopping since monday!!!
    leek and quorn pie for tea last night and jacket pots for dinner
    sweet potato and goats cheese pie for tea tonight and rice for dinner.
    promised a friend ill bake cakes for her DDs party tomorrow, going to bake this afty and ice tomorrow morning so planing on doing some twinks hobnobs at the same time to fill our tin for the weekend.
    got to go out to the hole in the wall in a bit so will drop of christmas cards and batteries for recycling and then do my shopping list for tomorrow
    have a good weekend all
    Originally posted by mrs-moneypenny
    Please can we have the recipe for sweet potato and goat cheese pie, thank you
    BSCno.87
    The only stupid question is an unasked one
    I now live in a country that is 4 hours ahead of the UK so you may now find I post at weird times
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]
    • Meadows
    • By Meadows 20th Jan 12, 8:33 AM
    • 4,074 Posts
    • 10,404 Thanks
    Meadows
    Got a big bag (5kg) Basmati Rice in Lidl yesterday 4.99, that will last us a while (was tempted to get two but thought NO one will last you and by the time it is gone it will be on offer again somewhere )
    Last edited by Meadows; 20-01-2012 at 10:28 AM.
    Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it.
    • dobs
    • By dobs 20th Jan 12, 8:35 AM
    • 515 Posts
    • 1,534 Thanks
    dobs
    hi everyone, not posted for a few days as was managing not to spend but hubs did pop out for milk and managed to spend over a tenner on unk food and drink grr! So as we r nearly out of loo rolls and other basics i won't be able to keep it under 200 this month only got just under three pounds left of my budget, think i will be going shopping with him next month, i'm usually banned but it seems to me i'm not the only one getting extras lol! Have a great day x
    grocery challenge jan 17 / 350.00
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,310Posts Today

7,538Users online

Martin's Twitter