Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 4th Jun 11, 11:19 AM
    • 9,343Posts
    • 17,889Thanks
    zippychick
    • 4th Jun 11, 11:19 AM
    4th Jun 11 at 11:19 AM
    Hi everyone,

Welcome to the first Grocery Challenge of 2012

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your December budget, then keep on posting in the December Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be 1 a week or 20 a week.

If you are currently spending 200 a month don't suddenly drop it to 100 - you'll never do it but if you cut 20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is 80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on 80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    For quidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #3, #4, #5 and #6 on this thread.

For everyones totals, see post #7 on this thread

I hope everyone has a great month!

Zip
    Last edited by zippychick; 27-12-2011 at 12:52 PM.
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

Page 120
    • Byatt
    • By Byatt 19th Jan 12, 1:48 PM
    • 3,403 Posts
    • 46,835 Thanks
    Byatt
    I spent 13.12 in Mr T's...went in for whoopsies, but they never reduce them by much in my local and it doesn't always justify the petrol to go trawling around a couple of others.

Anyway, I got some organic mince, 500g, reduced to 2.59, which I will divide into portions (just me and pooch)...so will get about 6 meals of various sorts. reduced rice, reduced coriander (85p) for my carrot and coriander soup, pasta shells reduced to a 1, and dairylea triangles bogof. (would love to know who is buying all the reduced cheese in A*m!nster store, the shelves are always cleared! Also a few othe bits including half price tinned tuna (4 tins)...

4.38 left till end of month. Should be ok.

updated sig to show new amount 45.62/50 at 19th jan
    Last edited by Byatt; 19-01-2012 at 1:50 PM.
    • meg72
    • By meg72 19th Jan 12, 2:06 PM
    • 5,082 Posts
    • 46,072 Thanks
    meg72
    Evening all - just popping in to record another NSD. With so little of the budget left I am limping along to pay day. Mind you I'm going to cheat a little - if thats okay. Payday is the 23rd yet the Mr M voucher is only valid until 22nd so I will call it quits on 21st and then nip and use the voucher - call it out of next months.

All in all this is the first time that I have stuck to a budget - normally I would spend at least three times this amount so I am chuffed. Thankyou everyone for your advice.
    Originally posted by Ninno820
    I dont think that is cheating, when you are so close to the end of this month anyway it makes very good sense to use your voucher,
    you cant help but win in the end as you will spend less eventually.
    So dont feel guilty at all use your voucher and get some bargains. Good luck.
    Slimming World at target
    • Coxy11
    • By Coxy11 19th Jan 12, 2:29 PM
    • 2,295 Posts
    • 27,317 Thanks
    Coxy11
    Hi everyone,

It's been a few days since I last posted. Small spend today in MrT - Dorritos 350g packs usually 2.69 are 67p - cool original or tangy cheese, if anyone's interested.

Off to catch up on the thread.
    Cross-stitch WIP #1: Collecting Shells by Nancy Cole
    Cross-stitch WIP #2: Pretty Little London by Satsuma Street
    • sistercas
    • By sistercas 19th Jan 12, 2:43 PM
    • 4,841 Posts
    • 58,661 Thanks
    sistercas
    back from c0stco
    spent about 60
    have got toilet roll for a couple of months and sugar to last a year
    picked up the rotisserie chickens which are 2.99 at the moment
    also a large bag of onions , bacon , sausages, fabric conditioner which should last 3 months , cheese,yoghurts and squash

all the meat has been portioned off and put in the freezer

still need to a shop for fresh stuff and cat food tomorrow
  • mi jardin
    I had a spend today; 4.84 on smoked cod, sausages, leeks, teacakes all reduced and a haggis, only 1.50 on the meat counter at MrS!
    That takes me to 63.12 for the month so far, but my month finishes on the 27th so its looking good!

• adelight
    Right I've gone well over this month, think 40 for two when i barely even had any meat or cheese in was a bit too much of a challenge. Spent about 8 at Lidl a few days ago and 5 in Mr S just now (couldn't resist 4 for 1 salmon fillets). I'll probably need to buy a few bits of veg early next week too, 3 or 4?
    Living cheap in central London
    • meg72
    • By meg72 19th Jan 12, 3:39 PM
    • 5,082 Posts
    • 46,072 Thanks
    meg72
    A bit late to start now but would love to join for February
    Originally posted by samarnesen
    No its not to late to start, do yourself a list of everything you have in and how many meals you can make for Feb. Then you will have a much better idea of how much budget to set yourself. This is a fabulous thread,lots of nice,kind helpful people who will give you a very warm welcome.
    Slimming World at target
    • chirpychick
    • By chirpychick 19th Jan 12, 4:05 PM
    • 968 Posts
    • 8,691 Thanks
    chirpychick
    Hi.
    Ive never used the grocery challenge before but in February's pay i want to only spend 10 on food and use up my store cupboard. My February money technically starts from 25th January - 25th February so i wondered do i post on here or wait for February to be started up?
    TIA
    Everything is always better after a cup of tea
    • Byatt
    • By Byatt 19th Jan 12, 4:05 PM
    • 3,403 Posts
    • 46,835 Thanks
    Byatt
    Sistercas just wanted to say I love your guinea pig pic.
    • kerri_dfw
    • By kerri_dfw 19th Jan 12, 4:27 PM
    • 4,556 Posts
    • 29,115 Thanks
    kerri_dfw
    I hope noone minds, I've made a 2nd purse spreadsheet for people to download here
    Yellow fields are updated automatically as they contain formulae.
    I think it's fairly straight forward, the first sheet details what's in your stockpile, the second sheet details the transactions from the second purse. The "out of purse" is where you can take out anything over the suggested 100
    I know most people have their own spreadsheets, but putting it down like this really helped me get my head around the idea
    Diary: Getting back on track for 2013 and beyond
    DEBT FREE 13-10-13
    Beautiful daughter born 11.1.14
    Mortgage: 399,435.91 377218.83
    Deposit loan from Dad: 900010000
  • moneysaver13
    Spent 21 in b**ts today. Naughty but they have electric oral b toothbrushes at half price so spent 17 on that and then had a 5 no 7 voucher and have run out of face cream and I am struggling to find a nice cream that will not leave your face feeling sticky or greasy. At 9 before the voucher I hope this will be a nice-ish cream. I use mineral powder makeup but my last cream didn't completely sink in (does that make sense?) and the mineral powder could slide if rubbed, one day I noticed a dark brown mark and it was where I had rubbed my face and the makeup had shifted, not vey fetching. Never had a cream do that before but it was cheap. If anyone can recommend a good moisturiser for a lady in her mid 40's then I would be grateful. The other thing I was wondering is whether I should create a second budget for toiletries? I don't really want to include these bits in my grocery budget and wondered what others do?
    GC 2012 April 0/150
    March: 176.71/150
    (payday 22nd) NSD 3/10
    Feb: 138.93/150 NSD:11/10
    Jan: 171.13/150
    Nectar rewards: 18.55, Boots 13.82
    Sealed pot challenge 5 no 1602:
    • Honey Bear
    • By Honey Bear 19th Jan 12, 4:40 PM
    • 5,714 Posts
    • 56,046 Thanks
    Honey Bear
    Mondysaver13 - A dermatologist I met recommended Aqueous Cream, which I always have to ask for in B**ts as they keep it behind the counter near the Pharamcy section (ALL other chemist also sell it). I've used it for years, it's about 3.50 for a 500ml tub and it also functions as a soap. Fabulous stuff.
    • quintwins
    • By quintwins 19th Jan 12, 4:52 PM
    • 5,003 Posts
    • 29,347 Thanks
    quintwins
    i use no7 creams i do think they take awhile to soak in, i have 3 of those no7 vouchers i wanted to stock up on wipes but they we're sold out in my store :O i find simple mouisterisers the best personally
    DFW 7632/28996 26.3%
    • rising from the ashes
    • By rising from the ashes 19th Jan 12, 5:14 PM
    • 12,321 Posts
    • 59,551 Thanks
    rising from the ashes
    II'm having a rotten time at the moment being made redundant, broken ankle and and and.... its been one thing after another. Coming on this site every night and catching up with all your antics and meeting you lot has really made me feel like I'm not alone and there are others who are having just as tough a time, facing up to it and getting on with it. I think you are all really brave and have some fabulous ideas.....thank you so much. I'm proud to be associated with you.
    Originally posted by Kylieminoag
    Awwww Kylie - sorry to hear what a tough time you're having atm - virtual (((hugs))) flying through cyber space.

I've never used the grocery challenge before but in February's pay i want to only spend 10 on food and use up my store cupboard.
    Originally posted by chirpychick
    I've been debating about whether to use some of my stocks up but my job is unfortunately not what you could call secure (have no idea what's happening at the end of March yet) - so think I'll hang onto them & keep buying just now and they'll be there should the worst happen.

Spent 21 in b**ts today. Naughty but they have electric oral b toothbrushes at half price so spent 17 on that and then had a 5 no 7 voucher
    Originally posted by moneysaver13
    Sounds like the one I got at the start of the week - I will say it's fantastic I also managed to get a 4 pack of heads off E*bay for less than 4 (incl p&p) and I've just tried them (compatible ones so was a bit worried) and they fit fine They arrived really quickly - drop me a PM if you'd like the sellers ID.

I incl toiletries & all household cleaning stuff in my budget - really to try to keep a grip on my spending and I buy a lot of stuff at the sm so find it easier to "log" these together on my spending spreadsheet, rather than having to keep changing tabs as I'm working through the receipt!
    Grocery Challenge 211/455 (01/01-31/03)
    2016 Sell: 125/250
    1,000 Emergency Fund Challenge #78 3.96 / 1,000
    Vet Fund: 410.93 / 1,000
    Debt free & determined to stay that way!
    • PennyGrabber
    • By PennyGrabber 19th Jan 12, 5:24 PM
    • 1,268 Posts
    • 22,438 Thanks
    PennyGrabber
    NSD foodwise, but I did need to get some woodshavings for the guinea pigs. I can't remember if I include this in my gc or not, so I'll have to have a think and get back to you...

PG x
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan 87.97/100 Feb 0/100
    Frugal 2018 needed! Saving and NOT spending
    • LisaJane
    • By LisaJane 19th Jan 12, 5:26 PM
    • 354 Posts
    • 2,800 Thanks
    LisaJane
    4.64 and 79p spends today...I am putting Jan down as a disaster! Roll on Feb and a more realistic target!
    Save 12k in 2014 (my target: 10 000):
    My savings: 4878.54/7000
    Joint account savings: 2685.57/3000
    Total:7564.11/10 000 (as at 26/10/14)
    • meg72
    • By meg72 19th Jan 12, 5:32 PM
    • 5,082 Posts
    • 46,072 Thanks
    meg72
    Spent 21 in b**ts today. Naughty but they have electric oral b toothbrushes at half price so spent 17 on that and then had a 5 no 7 voucher and have run out of face cream and I am struggling to find a nice cream that will not leave your face feeling sticky or greasy. At 9 before the voucher I hope this will be a nice-ish cream. I use mineral powder makeup but my last cream didn't completely sink in (does that make sense?) and the mineral powder could slide if rubbed, one day I noticed a dark brown mark and it was where I had rubbed my face and the makeup had shifted, not vey fetching. Never had a cream do that before but it was cheap. If anyone can recommend a good moisturiser for a lady in her mid 40's then I would be grateful. The other thing I was wondering is whether I should create a second budget for toiletries? I don't really want to include these bits in my grocery budget and wondered what others do?
    Originally posted by moneysaver13
    If you do not want to include toiletries in your grocery budget, then dont, its your budget and can include or not as you decide.

As for a moisturiser for a 40 year old I have for the last 25 years (I am 66) only used a cheap coconut butter and have pretty ok, not too many wrinkles, skin. I have found its not so much how much you spend as doing it regularly that counts.
    Slimming World at target
    • Florenceem
    • By Florenceem 19th Jan 12, 5:37 PM
    • 3,984 Posts
    • 52,562 Thanks
    Florenceem
    spent 20.60 in A!di last night so total is up to 183.39 / 200 for the month. 16.61 to last me 11 days? I reckon it is do-able as we've got most things in stock now. Might need to top up on a few veggies next weekend for the last few days of the month but I'm hoping I can make what we've got in last. I've got a sort of meal plan in my head but the detail keeps disappearing - its a bit like when you can see a poster on a wall but its just a bit too far away to read it properly! I should really write down the meal plan and check where we're up to but I just know if I commit it to paper, OH will make me change it. At least if I keep it vague and out of his way, I can adapt without feeling too bad about veering off track!
    Originally posted by sonastin
    Can't you write the menu in your diary - I take it - OH doesn't look there.
    15 in 2015 1/15
    • medsdemon
    • By medsdemon 19th Jan 12, 5:52 PM
    • 745 Posts
    • 6,098 Thanks
    medsdemon
    oh dear. Spent 8 in Poundlan* on shampoo, conditioner, facewipes, deodorant and crisps. though that should see us through into february hopefully. Also OH spent 2 in Ald* on 2 x milk and a jar of marmalade and I nipped into MrS to buy uch craved wine and also bought 12 eggs for 2, a tin of basics rice pud 25p and a carton of spread for 1. Spent 7.96. Will update total.
    Grocery challenge October: 228.28/250.00 NSD 4 ( not completed)
    Grocery challenge November : 291.65/300.00 NSD 10
    Grocery challenge December : 0/240.00 NSD
    • meg72
    • By meg72 19th Jan 12, 6:00 PM
    • 5,082 Posts
    • 46,072 Thanks
    meg72
    Right I've gone well over this month, think 40 for two when i barely even had any meat or cheese in was a bit too much of a challenge. Spent about 8 at Lidl a few days ago and 5 in Mr S just now (couldn't resist 4 for 1 salmon fillets). I'll probably need to buy a few bits of veg early next week too, 3 or 4?
    Originally posted by adelight
    Crikey I am sure given your limited stocks that 40 for two of you was way to much of a challenge. You have done extremely well. So pat yourself on the back and carry on. Good luck.
    Slimming World at target
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,153Posts Today

7,194Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Gumtree: @MartinSLewis Hi Martin, we do not tolerate unscrupulous advertising by third parties on the Gumtree platform and are working?

• Today's Twitter Poll: How do you view nuclear power? Is it an environmentally friendly form of clean renewable ene? https://t.co/WE5pRJ1Jsx

• So how much work do I actually do on the MSE weekly email these days, now I?m in the exhaulted position of ?Executi? https://t.co/b8XWxPiUwn

• Follow Martin