Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
  • 2sides2everystory
    • 19th Jan 12, 12:04 PM
    • 19th Jan 12, 12:04 PM
    I think the little slogan sign with another behind it is a neat idea.

Can I make a plea, so big business doesn't forget where you came from, Martin? Just for those of us that know, can you swap what is visible of the slogan on the sign behind so we know it might have said 'Consumer Revenge' - that is when moneysaving is really tops even if you don't want to shout it anymore

You could do it by repositioning the back sign to the rear left of the front one and simply showing enough to make out the bold initials

C
    R

except what can be seen of the R might mean they can equally well be taken as

C
    F

as in the bolded parts of your more recent slogan
    Last edited by 2sides2everystory; 19-01-2012 at 12:32 PM.
    • MSE Martin
    • By MSE Martin 19th Jan 12, 12:40 PM
    • 8,115 Posts
    • 42,285 Thanks
    MSE Martin
    • 19th Jan 12, 12:40 PM
    • 19th Jan 12, 12:40 PM
    I think the little slogan sign with another behind it is a neat idea.

Can I make a plea, so big business doesn't forget where you came from, Martin? Just for those of us that know, can you swap what is visible of the slogan on the sign behind so we know it might have said 'Consumer Revenge' - that is when moneysaving is really tops even if you don't want to shout it anymore

You could do it by repositioning the back sign to the rear left of the front one and simply showing enough to make out the bold initials

C
    R

except what can be seen of the R might mean they can equally well be taken as

C
    F

as in the bolded parts of your more recent slogan
    Originally posted by 2sides2everystory
    Will consider it as a later tweak (for now we want to get it out )
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.

Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.

Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
    • nzseries1
    • By nzseries1 19th Jan 12, 12:41 PM
    • 2,144 Posts
    • 1,851 Thanks
    nzseries1
    • 19th Jan 12, 12:41 PM
    • 19th Jan 12, 12:41 PM
    Martin, you said in your blog:

I’ve been reducing my head size gradually over the years and would love to get to the stage where it’s not there anymore

I'm not sure I like the idea of your masthead without a head. So I knocked one up in photoshop...

Yep, I definitely prefer it with the head there!
    Last edited by nzseries1; 19-01-2012 at 12:44 PM.
    You're spelling is effecting me so much. Im trying not to be phased by it but your all making me loose my mind on mass!! My head is loosing it's hair. I'm going to take myself off the electoral role like I should of done ages ago and move to the Caribean. I already brought my plane ticket, all be it a refundable 1.
    • pinball13
    • By pinball13 19th Jan 12, 1:19 PM
    • 49 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    pinball13
    • 19th Jan 12, 1:19 PM
    Green!
    • 19th Jan 12, 1:19 PM
    Will really miss the green masthead, especially on the weekly email. You can recognise it straight away - even at some distance! Hope it makes a comeback and we don't lose the green on the forums. If the masthead must change at least get rid of the cartoon placards.
  • Evilm
    • 19th Jan 12, 1:42 PM
    • 19th Jan 12, 1:42 PM
    That really reminds me of Money Supermarkets page headers. You are using different colours for each subject than they do.

I'm not saying its bad though.
  • stagey
    • 19th Jan 12, 3:01 PM
    Centralised!!!
    • 19th Jan 12, 3:01 PM
    Why has everything been centred - very odd - hate it - but maybe others think it's OK - ??
  • meher
    • 19th Jan 12, 3:06 PM

can I ask what is that small border for the grey doing there - it might look better if it were clear without shadows

I thought the colored text is better than the colored boxes but then when I tried a makeover, it looks like it might become bland if the header is going to be soft gray. The actual thing we've to come to terms with is that dark tone of grey on top. It feels like we have two headers. I think I prefer the existing one. Or at least it should be made a little thinner, something like this (not that thin, I couldn't make it little more wide because I simply did it on top of yours instead of creating another one):

and instead of the dim grey, may be it should be the skin color of the forum you'd choose so that it would look like it is part of the forum

the search box, please see if you could keep the corners straigh instead of curvy ones

the placcard idea is ok although it looks like a doodle
    • nzseries1
    • By nzseries1 19th Jan 12, 3:06 PM
    • 2,144 Posts
    • 1,851 Thanks
    nzseries1
    Why has everything been centred - very odd - hate it - but maybe others think it's OK - ??
    Originally posted by stagey
    According to this post:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=50343575&postcount=18
    The centering of the text in the forum is a temporary glitch unrelated to the new masthead and will be fixed soon. Thank Christ!
    Only happening for people using Internet Explorer.
    You're spelling is effecting me so much. Im trying not to be phased by it but your all making me loose my mind on mass!! My head is loosing it's hair. I'm going to take myself off the electoral role like I should of done ages ago and move to the Caribean. I already brought my plane ticket, all be it a refundable 1.
    • Tigsteroonie
    • By Tigsteroonie 19th Jan 12, 7:21 PM
    • 23,251 Posts
    • 58,302 Thanks
    Tigsteroonie
    I like Meher's revision of a thinner top masthead line (grey or not grey, don't mind). Looks less imposing.

Still not sure about the shirt and the chest-hair ...
    Mrs Marleyboy

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

Proud Parents to an Au-some son
    • oldvicar
    • By oldvicar 19th Jan 12, 9:32 PM
    • 1,068 Posts
    • 944 Thanks
    oldvicar
    Martin, you said in your blog:

I’ve been reducing my head size gradually over the years and would love to get to the stage where it’s not there anymore

I'm not sure I like the idea of your masthead without a head. So I knocked one up in photoshop...

Yep, I definitely prefer it with the head there!
    Originally posted by nzseries1
    But at least this version does away with the chest hair.
  • iamBoris
    looks much better than the green. Will you be following suit with the forums?

Very professional looking.
    I am not really boris..
    • Eco Miser
    • By Eco Miser 19th Jan 12, 10:48 PM
    • 3,444 Posts
    • 3,239 Thanks
    Eco Miser
    The shirt now looks like a coloured shirt, instead of a white shirt in a coloured shadow. Better.
    The cartoon placard gives the masthead more of a fun feel, and by removing the strapline from under
    MoneySavingExpert.com makes that clearer too. Both good.
    Having Title Case rather than ALL CAPS for the buttons also make them easier to read.
    Last edited by Eco Miser; 19-01-2012 at 10:52 PM.
    Eco Miser
    Saving money for well over half a century
    • eslick
    • By eslick 20th Jan 12, 1:45 PM
    • 2,038 Posts
    • 1,321 Thanks
    eslick
    leave it as it is
  • Gwizz1982
    Ive got a Masters in web design and I give it a thumbs up - its fine as it is As long as its compatible in all browers :P

Good contrast with colours & text (pink Deals link maybe pushing it). Clean Layout
    Proud to be dealing with my Student debts!
    Benjamin John born 05/03/2009 ♥ Matthew James born 25/06/2011
    Saving for our Galactic Wedding - 18th May 2013!
    • caz2703
    • By caz2703 20th Jan 12, 3:24 PM
    • 3,563 Posts
    • 29,626 Thanks
    caz2703
    The page looks a lot cleaner and easier to read than previously, my only comment would be in relation to the colour pallete used for the section links. My preference would be either all muted or all vivid but at present, the pink and green look out of place compared to the blue, red, orange, purple and green.

Just one more question, will you be leaving the ico files with the green background or is everything getting a revamp?

P.S. where's the 'poll'?
    Last edited by caz2703; 20-01-2012 at 3:27 PM.

• thisisace
    • By thisisace 20th Jan 12, 3:51 PM
    • 107 Posts
    • 94 Thanks
    thisisace
    So, you went with the photo no-one liked then????
    • luxor4t
    • By luxor4t 21st Jan 12, 11:19 AM
    • 10,476 Posts
    • 38,114 Thanks
    luxor4t
    "MSE stuff" what does MSE stuff?

Sorry, my gran used to ask questions like that
    I can cook and sew, make flowers grow.
    • John Gray
    • By John Gray 21st Jan 12, 12:09 PM
    • 5,434 Posts
    • 3,225 Thanks
    John Gray
    It's still shown as a Sneaky Preview, not a Sneak Preview. Grrrrh...

The shirt looks more textured, but the colour is still nondescript.
    • MoneySavingUser
    • By MoneySavingUser 22nd Jan 12, 6:45 PM
    • 1,638 Posts
    • 647 Thanks
    MoneySavingUser
    Lara Lewington should be on the masthead!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,795Posts Today

8,209Users online

Martin's Twitter