Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 4th Jun 11, 11:19 AM
    • 9,343Posts
    • 17,889Thanks
    zippychick
    • 4th Jun 11, 11:19 AM
    4th Jun 11 at 11:19 AM
    Hi everyone,

Welcome to the first Grocery Challenge of 2012

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your December budget, then keep on posting in the December Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be 1 a week or 20 a week.

If you are currently spending 200 a month don't suddenly drop it to 100 - you'll never do it but if you cut 20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is 80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on 80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    For quidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #3, #4, #5 and #6 on this thread.

For everyones totals, see post #7 on this thread

I hope everyone has a great month!

Zip
    Last edited by zippychick; 27-12-2011 at 12:52 PM.
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

Page 113
  • rosieben
    JIL, your Egg and Lentil Curry is in the list
    aberdeensaver, your Coconut Curry is in the list too
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
    • Gorgeestwo
    • By Gorgeestwo 17th Jan 12, 9:11 AM
    • 364 Posts
    • 5,889 Thanks
    Gorgeestwo
    morning

Going to have a NSD today, but will need some milk by tomorrow, not sure where the milk goes tbh!!
    I'm going to order the cat's food in the next couple of days, so will definitely be over budget, but in the long run I'll be saving money as its cheaper to buy it in a huge bag.

Have a good day
    Last edited by Gorgeestwo; 17-01-2012 at 9:51 AM.
    Grocery challenge : January 2016 65.86/300
    For 2 adults, 2 children (10 & 9 yrs) 3 cats & 2 dogs.

• quintwins
    • By quintwins 17th Jan 12, 10:06 AM
    • 5,003 Posts
    • 29,347 Thanks
    quintwins
    nsd today i did an online order for the 30th but that will be for next month i only did it to use up a 10 voucher, i need a few bits to see me threw until then but i'm not going out til i feel better
    DFW 7632/28996 26.3%
  • majjak
    Just a few bits today, mainly fruit and yogurt to start me off on my diet. Will update spends in a bit.

Had a bit of a funny turn last night (ongoing heart condition) so am taking it easy today, although I do have to go to work this afternoon . Another reason to get this excess weight off .

Love the recipes everyone, keep them coming !
    Save 12K challenge 2015 # 173
    0.00/10,000
  • helen jelly
    Good Morning everyone

Budgets done to here - please feel free to give me a nudge if I've missed you or spelt your name wrong

Well done everyone on how you are all doing

Welcome and hello to all our newbies - lovely to see you and don't be shy about asking lots of questions - there are lots of very clever people on here who will help. If you don't come in under budget the first few months don't be surprised - its taken alaong time for most of us to get it right - I still haven't!

Helen x
    Projects made for craft fair - 40
    1st fair on 13/4/14
    • Meadows
    • By Meadows 17th Jan 12, 10:24 AM
    • 4,074 Posts
    • 10,404 Thanks
    Meadows
    Went to Lidl to buy a spice rack that was offer which they didn't have and came back with 80 of shopping , not really though as most of it was stuff I would have ordered from Tesco next week and now will not need to.
    Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it.
    • Meadows
    • By Meadows 17th Jan 12, 10:36 AM
    • 4,074 Posts
    • 10,404 Thanks
    Meadows
    Wher do you get your seeds from please
    Originally posted by tigerfeet2006

White Poppy seeds - Steenbergs Organic White Poppy Seeds (but you can buy bigger and cheaper).

Black Sesame Seeds - Williams & Sonoma America (but are available over here on line).

Black Poppy seeds, White Sesame Seeds, Sunflower Seeds,
    Pumpkin Seeds & Linseed's - In supermarkets, Holland & Barrett, Julian Graves, on line.... where ever I see the best buy.

You can buy bags of mixed seeds but they may not be the quantities of each of what you want in the bags. I keep them all in separate pots and then add as much as I fancy also hndy to have separate so they can be added to other cooking.
    Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it.
  • M0neysav3r
    Just updated my sig to include this weeks shop of 40.02..... I thought it would be lots less this week as I didn't need to buy any meat but I did but alot of fruit and veg this week. Hopefully I will be under budget this month for the first time ever Fingers crossed!!

Off to check on my soup
    No Debts (Other than HUGE mortgage! )
    Generally trying to cut back where possible
    GC - March 143.82 / 200 Feb 156.03 / 150 Oops! Jan 180.78/200
  • LittleMissHappy
    Signature updated with another 25 ish I like the idea of a second purse but instead of doing this I am buying in bulk when I see a good deal and setting up a 'shop' in my garage, then every time I use the product I will deduct what it cost me (not it's current price) from my grocery budget So far I have beans, coffee and cereal bars
    Be the change you want to see in the world - Gandhi
    OU - DD100 (P ), DSE141 (D ), DSE212 (P ), ED209 (02/12), DXR222 (07/12) SD226 (02/13)
    • xxlouisexx56
    • By xxlouisexx56 17th Jan 12, 11:29 AM
    • 2,191 Posts
    • 30,133 Thanks
    xxlouisexx56
    Hello There. Hardly any spends last week so i havent been here to update!

Spent 40 pounds in Mr S whilst they had all their baby bits on offer. I have enough nappies for 3 months, 10 packs of wipes and alot of jars! lol!

29 pounds spent yesterday on milk, bacon, bread in iceland and a few bits in morrisons.

We go away next thursday (4am) so i have meal planned up until then and wont need to buy much. We are leaving the kids here with family so will need to get a few bits in for them to see them through.

Done really well this month
    • xxlouisexx56
    • By xxlouisexx56 17th Jan 12, 11:32 AM
    • 2,191 Posts
    • 30,133 Thanks
    xxlouisexx56
    Also i must add, i really need to get a grip on cleaning products. We have so many but if i see something on offer i still buy it. We have enough fairy liquid for the next 3 months and enough laundry liquid to last until june!
  • cheekychipmunk
    Hello. Everything has gone a bit awry here. Been in bed with flu for a few days, so dh has taken over shopping and cooking. He has been fab, but I think the budget may be a bit shot! He's spent over 100 and I still can't find anything for tea! Not sure what he has been buying. Oh well. Won't let it get me down too much and will keep trying!
    January 2012 GC 296.96/300
    • tigerfeet2006
    • By tigerfeet2006 17th Jan 12, 12:04 PM
    • 13,822 Posts
    • 29,889 Thanks
    tigerfeet2006
    Chicken, mushroom and rice one pot
    This is what I did for dinner last night.

I put 300g basmati rice in a seive and rinsed it and left to it to drain. I heated some oil in a big pot and fried off a large chopped onion. Stirred in a tblsp rosemary and 250g of quartered chestnut mushrooms. Popped the rice in and stirred it to coat in oil. I then put 2 sliced peppers in (have used frozen peppers for this as well), a tin of chopped tomatoes, 500ml of veg stock and cooked chicken from a roast I did a while back and froze the meat left over. Season with pepper, bring to the boil, give it a stir. Turn it down and put a lid on it and cook until the rice is tender.
    BSCno.87
    The only stupid question is an unasked one
    Loving life as a Kernow Hippy
    • skilly
    • By skilly 17th Jan 12, 12:15 PM
    • 882 Posts
    • 10,225 Thanks
    skilly
    Hi all, well I am now up to 101.47 spent so far this month and not a lot to show for it ,forgot to cancel my veg box for tomorrow so will just to use it so that will be another 13 something to add on tomorrow !
    27 Sealed pot challenge 3496/4706.75/5 376.74/6 645.08/ 7 861.34 /8 786.90/9610.49/10 722.03 / 11? / gold star from sue
    • kerri_dfw
    • By kerri_dfw 17th Jan 12, 12:23 PM
    • 4,556 Posts
    • 29,115 Thanks
    kerri_dfw
    Having a tin of stockpile beans today, so that's 50p to add onto the budget.
    Diary: Getting back on track for 2013 and beyond
    DEBT FREE 13-10-13
    Beautiful daughter born 11.1.14
    Mortgage: 399,435.91 377218.83
    Deposit loan from Dad: 900010000
  • SuziQ1962
    Oh dear- I have gone over my budget for the month by 22 quid and still have a week to go! Perhaps I have set it too low at 60 per week-I may have to raise it next month to 70.Having said that I still have spent far less than I would have done if I wasn't doing this challenge and it is my first month in -will try to do better in Feb
    "Sealed Pot challenge" member No 1099 2011/26.00
    Crazy clothes challenge 2012-Budget 28.90/100
    January 2012 Grocery challenge 378.27/240
    14/16 NSD in January
    2012 Weight loss challenge -5lbs
    • iris
    • By iris 17th Jan 12, 12:42 PM
    • 1,013 Posts
    • 3,398 Thanks
    iris
    spent a whole quid this morning on a soya & seedy Burgen loaf.It lasts me a week, so well worth it.normally about 1.40 but Icelands are doing it for a pound.I portion it up into lots of four slice packs and freeze.I only ever eat a couple of slices of bread a day anyway so its not worth my while making my own ,plus only one of my arms works very well at all so kneading would be difficult.
    very pleased with my totals so far this month I am sticking to me 'stay out of shops if possible' mantra for January.Only 15 more days to go
    Originally posted by JackieO
    There is a coupon for 30p off Burgen bread on the first page of the Voucher and Coupon thread and I believe that Iceland take coupons, which makes it a bit more mse. HTH
    Iris
    • kerri_dfw
    • By kerri_dfw 17th Jan 12, 12:47 PM
    • 4,556 Posts
    • 29,115 Thanks
    kerri_dfw
    Does anyone know if lidl accept coupons?
    Diary: Getting back on track for 2013 and beyond
    DEBT FREE 13-10-13
    Beautiful daughter born 11.1.14
    Mortgage: 399,435.91 377218.83
    Deposit loan from Dad: 900010000
  • Ninno820
    Another NSD here - but I am working from home for once and hats off to anyone who does it as a norm. I am frozen and am bored rigid. I ahve also worked for longer than usual - out of guilt really. Dont want anyone to think that I am shirker so started at 8am and have just about finished without a break apart from the time it takes to make a coffee. No wonder that I am stiff!
    44 day challenge

1. Pay 650 off overdraft ( 288/ 650)
    2. Lose 12 lbs (4.5/ 12)
    3. Use YNAB everyday (6/44)
  • wear280902
    Just done my statement of affairs and after reading the tips ont his board on and off for a year now. I have braved to join it. I always realised this is the area I vastly overspend and
    strangely can rationalise everything else.

SO moment of truth with my daughter having shool dinners which I will include I spend on average for a family of 4 - 600 - 650. I can cook don't spend it on cosmetics this is for groceries and most of it is for food
    and yes I am embarrassed to say win an area where we have food waste bins mine is always full.

So I woulde like to join this thread and am borrowing a big slow cooker this weekso any ofther thresads or forums I should join would be greatly appreciated.
    So please can I be put down for a budget for the rest of January as 100 .

Plus I will look through this thread but I am guessing a realistic figure to spend aim for in Feb would be 350 for the month which is still going to be a shock to the system.
    Last edited by wear280902; 17-01-2012 at 1:55 PM.
    Extra Payment a Week Challenge: (joined 15.01.12) This week 27.34 /Total so far 42.34
    Pay off as much as i can in 2012: 222.34 / 5000
    FEB GC 11/200.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,026Posts Today

6,953Users online

Martin's Twitter