Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 4th Jun 11, 11:19 AM
    • 9,343Posts
    • 17,889Thanks
    zippychick
    • 4th Jun 11, 11:19 AM
    4th Jun 11 at 11:19 AM
    Hi everyone,

Welcome to the first Grocery Challenge of 2012

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your December budget, then keep on posting in the December Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be 1 a week or 20 a week.

If you are currently spending 200 a month don't suddenly drop it to 100 - you'll never do it but if you cut 20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is 80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on 80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    For quidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #3, #4, #5 and #6 on this thread.

For everyones totals, see post #7 on this thread

I hope everyone has a great month!

Zip
    Last edited by zippychick; 27-12-2011 at 12:52 PM.
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

Page 112
    • Justamum
    • By Justamum 16th Jan 12, 9:24 PM
    • 4,685 Posts
    • 35,888 Thanks
    Justamum
    I think I'm going to give the 2nd purse a go. I didn't really understand it at first, but I've had a good read of it and I think I understand. I've got quite a good food stock in reserve already, so I suppose I should start 'buying' things off myself.

• linz4383
    • By linz4383 16th Jan 12, 9:32 PM
    • 287 Posts
    • 4,276 Thanks
    linz4383
    a small spend for me today at MrAs of 4.30 included a boneless turkey breast down from 4.68 to just 50p :O couldnt resist it!!! and sum uncle bens rice that was on offer... i was goin to go down a brand but i really prefer uncle bens its a lot nicer and fluffy and i dnt eat it very often... (tryin to justify it) and a couple of other bits
    everyones doin really well!!
    House deposit 0/10000
    Loan 6,065.43- 5803.30
    credit card 3,932.25 - 4233.40
  • moneysaver13
    First day in new job meant a NSD, Yes. Nearly more exciting than the job but hey mustn't complain, its a job. Three more sleeps to DH gets paid - can I make it on budget? Dinner all sorted for tomorrow so no reason to spend any money though I get this tugging feeling as I drive past the supermarkets at 5pm wondering if there are any bargains inside! Its sort of addictive but if I didnt go shopping for bargains I am sure I would have spent less this month but on the upside there is more in my freezer for next month's budget. Hoping that being back at work wont distract me from this site as it has really opened my eyes to bargains and offers.
    GC 2012 April 0/150
    March: 176.71/150
    (payday 22nd) NSD 3/10
    Feb: 138.93/150 NSD:11/10
    Jan: 171.13/150
    Nectar rewards: 18.55, Boots 13.82
    Sealed pot challenge 5 no 1602:
    • cw18
    • By cw18 16th Jan 12, 9:48 PM
    • 8,051 Posts
    • 85,994 Thanks
    cw18
    A few more 'from stock' bits added to my "spends", but stuck on one as I don't know what I paid and I can't get an 'alternative' on any supermarket website.
    Does anyone who keeps records happen to know what the price was for a box of 12 Mr T Value Mince Pies (or a close alternative) please? - Thanks to Sproggi for the info

As today wasn't an NSD (due to a D/debit going out of my bank this morning) I allowed myself a wander down to Mr M just after 5pm (chilled section final Whoopsie time is 5-5:30), which also served to check my legs were still functioning after a 12 mile run this morning

Had to hang around for quite a while to get the bits that interested me (the lass got called away a couple of times to do other tasks), but in the end I came home with...

Full price (needed in the next week or two)
    Demerara Sugar 1kg - but having had a price check on the Mr M bag (1.99) I got the Whitw0rths fairtrade (1.49)
    Phili Light 300g- on offer at 99p

Whoopsied
    Bread, Oat & Barley, 800g - 1.20 29p
    Eggs, 6 medium free range - 1.48 25p
    Lemons - 1.00 55p
    Quiche, cheddar and onion - 2.00 49p
    Cumberland Pie (tonight's tea) - 2.29 55p
    Mushroom ravioli (tomorrow's tea) - 2.49 55p
    Double Cream, organic, 227ml x 4 - 89p each 19p each (will be making organic butter tomorrow )
    Ricotta Cheese - 1.00 25p
    Yoghurt, raspberry, cranberry & blueberry, 500g - 1.09 29p

So Whoopsies gave me 16.11 worth of groceries for 3.98
    Last edited by cw18; 16-01-2012 at 10:23 PM.
    Cheryl
    • meg72
    • By meg72 16th Jan 12, 9:53 PM
    • 5,082 Posts
    • 46,072 Thanks
    meg72
    I need help!! Done our weekly shopping last night and we now have around 8 left until payday on the 27th. We only normally shop on a sunday so just really the shop on the 22nd to go. The thing is there is a really good deal on heinz tomato soup at morrisons. 4 tins for 1.59!! That is like the best deal ever. If i buy these then I will go over budget as we defo will need bread, milk and some fruit and veg.

What would you guys do in this situation, would you go over budget in order to buy up a really good offer?? I can afford to buy it but am trying to be strict with my budget to avoid going nuts like i used to do!
    Originally posted by needtosavE
    I would buy the offer.I dont worry if an offer takes me over budget
    as I always view it as being in hand for next month.
    Slimming World at target
    • sproggi
    • By sproggi 16th Jan 12, 10:07 PM
    • 1,517 Posts
    • 6,376 Thanks
    sproggi
    Does anyone who keeps records happen to know what the price was for a box of 12 Mr T Value Mince Pies (or a close alternative) please?
    Originally posted by cw18
    According to Mysupermarket, they were 1.40

Sproggi
    'We can get over being poor, but it takes longer to get over being ignorant'
    Jane Sequichie Hifler
    Beware of little expenses.A small leak will sink a great ship
    Benjamin Franklin
    • carolinerunner
    • By carolinerunner 16th Jan 12, 10:16 PM
    • 491 Posts
    • 6,304 Thanks
    carolinerunner
    Two small spends to report:
    HB, 7.21 on cheap left over Christmas choc selection boxes (currently the cheapest way of buying Cadburys choc or similar that I've found), their cheap 'cherish' cube tissues at 39p which are NOT in fact like sandpaper as some cheap ones are, might be some use for those with colds! and a pack of their version of colour catchers (99p for 20, recommended by a GC member, if I remember rightly) and some half price Cadburys Brunch bars for 99p a box. Then about a fiver in Boots on 3 big bottles of the red Elvive on half price, at last in stock at my local branch. Cruised M$S looking for whoopsies but nothing decent, I do wonder if staff nudge each other and point to people cruising the store fast, scanning for ye's! 'There's another one, look, the cheapskate!' But don't care really!

Tried those fab oatcakes as per recipe earlier, really really good. I liked them thinner and cooked a bit longer, DH liked them thicker and less cooked. Everybody happy as i did a batch each way! Would have been perfect with my HM hummus if someoone hadn't eaten it all already...

Then a little battle with MBNA over my allegedly vanished Pulsebeats points, which may not have vanished after all...

Cat seems ok thanks, no honking today so far,
    Night all
    PS Save Dosh - have you thought about a rabbit? Mine dispose of cabbage really well...
    PPS rising from the ashes - electric toothbrush heads are much cheaper on ebay than in the shops, for when you need to buy some more, and I've found the non-brand ones not much good, though that may not be representative, hth
    Last edited by carolinerunner; 16-01-2012 at 10:32 PM.
    Erratically money saving
    • Florenceem
    • By Florenceem 16th Jan 12, 10:50 PM
    • 3,984 Posts
    • 52,562 Thanks
    Florenceem
    Not a NSD.
    Spent 5.96 today!
    15 in 2015 1/15
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 16th Jan 12, 11:11 PM
    • 3,103 Posts
    • 42,190 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    NSD for me, will need to buy some spuds tomorrow though
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!
    • Byatt
    • By Byatt 16th Jan 12, 11:15 PM
    • 3,403 Posts
    • 46,835 Thanks
    Byatt
    60 pence on reduced bread!

GC 32.50/50
    • mummyyof5
    • By mummyyof5 16th Jan 12, 11:20 PM
    • 1,839 Posts
    • 39,830 Thanks
    mummyyof5
    Spent 50 in Ic***and today but 46 of it was stamps given to me by my mum...she saves 1 a week for us but really didnt need to use it before Xmas so went today while OH was home to take me...he is a coach driver and tours a lot....so only 4 to add to sig....Am hitting HB and Al**is tomorrow...that may be painful.

Anyway both my freezers are stuffed...should only need to replace bread in there before end of month.....hoping to go to MrMs at some point to get some of the tom soup on offer...my kids will be thrilled if i do.....

Keep going everyone we will get there eventually..off to update sig now xxx
    Feeding 6 Adults 1 Teen a 8 year old with hollow legs and a very fussy 5 year old. Also 3 cats and 3 fishies
    To include all Food,Toiletries and Petfood.
    • kerri_dfw
    • By kerri_dfw 16th Jan 12, 11:35 PM
    • 4,556 Posts
    • 29,115 Thanks
    kerri_dfw
    thanks for the advice re: 2nd purse, that was how I thought it worked but wasn't quite sure even after reading the guide
    Diary: Getting back on track for 2013 and beyond
    DEBT FREE 13-10-13
    Beautiful daughter born 11.1.14
    Mortgage: 399,435.91 377218.83
    Deposit loan from Dad: 900010000
    • Fiasco55
    • By Fiasco55 16th Jan 12, 11:52 PM
    • 1,345 Posts
    • 15,364 Thanks
    Fiasco55
    I managed a NSD today but bought quite a few things yesterday.

Mr M 1.30
    Co$co 7.80
    HB 11.90

Total 21
    EDIT - forgot to add 5 for a naughty but very yummy Italian take away!
    Last edited by Fiasco55; 16-01-2012 at 11:54 PM.
    No buying toiletries Graduated May 2017

Decluttered 2016 2469 items, 2017 1580 items
    2018 3060 items

Sealed Pot Challenge No 038
  • 123budget
    couldn't get on computer last night - was being hogged by kids!!
    so quick update before i go off to work today
    small spend in coop on reduced sarnies, 1/2 price t bags, orange juice and rolls
    spent 8.63
    Sealed Pot Challenge 2011 / no. 1205 110 made]Sealed Pot Challenge 2012/no 1205 target 300
    Jan g/c 355.83/450
    g/c Feb487.66/400
    March 411.03/450
    To feed 5 adults and 2 dogs includes toiletries & cleanining
    • SueP19
    • By SueP19 17th Jan 12, 7:04 AM
    • 1,706 Posts
    • 14,488 Thanks
    SueP19
    Had a spend day yesterday at 8.28 but that did include whoopsie bread and cheese plus 15 eggs for 49p (will make 4 Quiches from this)

It's amazing I am under budget, all last year I tried and only managed it once (week after we came back from hols and had food left over)

Yeah to this thread

Tonight is HM chicken pie, thanks to here, first time I've made it
    Last edited by SueP19; 17-01-2012 at 7:40 AM.
    Mort Oct 15 70,353 66,422 58,804 MF Dec 31 Jun 31(191 176 mnths)
    EF 2016 700/1,000 Debt May 09 30,217Oct 17 14,093Nov 18 6,336.12[/B]
  • Catwoman103
    Had to go to Boots today for some drops for conjunctivitis - 4.55.
    Jan GC 96.95/120; NSD 26/31
    Feb GC 113.19/120: NSD 24/29
    Mar GC 54.22/150 NSD 10/12

2012 Aim - To clear credit cards in 2012
  • aberdeensaver
    Coconut Curry
    Hi All,

Well i promised I would let you know how my attempt at a new coconut curry recipe went... and the answer is YUMMY!!! Now I must explain I am not a curry lover or expert, so to all those who might be a curry expert this might be far to simple and not resemble curry to you at all. But here is the recipe for all those that might want to revamp some left over roast chicken here you go:

3 onions (sliced)
    200g chicken (I used left over roast)
    1 carton of UHT coconut cream
    200ml chicken stock
    200g greek yoghurt
    1 tbsp cumin
    2 tbsp curry powder (I used mild masarla powder)
    2tbsp peas
    2 handfuls of spinach

Put a good glug of oil in a saucepan and turn the heat right down. cook the onions off for 20minutes stiring if they begin to catch the bottom of the pan.

In a saucepan combine the coconut cream, stock and youghurt and the curry powder and cumin, I added 1 tsp of flour to thicken but in the end the sauce was very thick so might have been my impatience!

Add the sauce over the onions, add the chicken and allow to boil. Add the peas and cook for 5 minutes as your serving up any accompaniements add the spinach allowing it to wilt over the top of the sauce.

I served this with 50g (dried weight) rice per person and this recipe serves probably 4 hungry adults although possibly more if you do a higher rice portion / naan breads etc.

Obviously if your using raw chicken you will need to cook it off, however as I was using left overs it was just a reheat job.

A NSD for us yesterday and hopefully today as left overs for dinner tonight. Not got much of the budget left but i am determined to get to Friday 27th under budget!

Wishing you all a good day.
    Jan GC 242.38/250
    Feb GC 147.57 /240
    2012 Clothes Challenge 97.50/500
    Repay 5K in 2012 254.17/5000
    2012 NSD 14/200 (Jan 14)
    • tessie bear
    • By tessie bear 17th Jan 12, 8:09 AM
    • 4,323 Posts
    • 29,754 Thanks
    tessie bear
    hi....chilly here again...going to make a chicken pie for tea and if there is any pastry left i might knock out some sausage rolls....off to do some banking later so might wander around tesco as dont go in there much

going to make marmalade later and have found a recipe for lime marmakade that i fancy making so just need to track down some cheap limes

costco was ok yesterday no great bargains i thought but did geta reduced chicken and some reasonable dishwasher tabs so stocked up with those

have a great day
    tess
    onwards and upwards
    • PaddyPaws
    • By PaddyPaws 17th Jan 12, 8:24 AM
    • 264 Posts
    • 3,019 Thanks
    PaddyPaws
    Just a quick update, nipped into c0stc0 as "my" coffee is on offer at the moment. Got two drums of the coffee, a couple of packs of the oatso simple as that's on offer so works out cheaper than A!di's own version (and DH definitely prefers the 'named brand' on this one, although he eats the A!di one usually). And picked up 5kg jar of basmati rice as we're getting a bit low and at 5.99 for 5kg I think the only way to get it cheaper was to buy a 10kg sack (difficult to store) or 5kg of Mr T value basmati which we didn't like

total spend 37.71 which takes me to 167.62 / 250 so far for the month. 54% of the month and I've spent 67% of the budget.

PP

• iwanttogoonholiday
    • By iwanttogoonholiday 17th Jan 12, 8:26 AM
    • 343 Posts
    • 2,569 Thanks
    iwanttogoonholiday
    im gonna change my total to 200 ..am already over my 150 and with a baby due anyday im sure im going to spend more - will try to keep within the 200 and even if i do go over i will make sure i write it down so i can look back next month

so new totals -

Jan grocery challenge - 163.51/200
    Learning to keep within budgets !

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

159Posts Today

2,619Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Snap post #BBCOurNextPM poll: Who do you think did best. (I had to have two in one category, so I picked randoml? https://t.co/gYTNBBn3SP

• Emily Maitliss being v mean to Boris using his own past quotes against him on Heathrow, having an election when lea? https://t.co/4baNAlmMid

• Wow - impressive performance from the 15 year old climate change activist. Not sure I'd have had such confidence when still at school.

• Follow Martin