Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • moggins
    • By moggins 6th May 05, 10:11 AM
    • 5,177 Posts
    • 10,159 Thanks
    moggins
    • 6th May 05, 10:11 AM
    • 6th May 05, 10:11 AM
    Orange sorbet. using the orange skins as dishes to pile the sorbet back into.
    Organised people are just too lazy to look for things

F U Fund currently at 250
  • Caz2
    • 6th May 05, 10:16 AM
    • 6th May 05, 10:16 AM
    hi moggins have you got a recipe it sounds great.
    • flea72
    • By flea72 6th May 05, 11:20 AM
    • 5,258 Posts
    • 5,263 Thanks
    flea72
    • 6th May 05, 11:20 AM
    • 6th May 05, 11:20 AM
    lol - ive got the same dilema, but ive got 3wks worth of oranges/clementines - think im gonna go with marmalade tho
    • catznine
    • By catznine 6th May 05, 12:13 PM
    • 3,187 Posts
    • 24,544 Thanks
    catznine
    • 6th May 05, 12:13 PM
    • 6th May 05, 12:13 PM
    Me too! at least we know that the organic box deliveries are fairly standard then! I too would love to try the orange sorbet recipe
    Is it on the recipe index yet? Hang on I'll go look.............
    Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind.

Jan grocery challenge 35.77/120
    • catznine
    • By catznine 6th May 05, 12:17 PM
    • 3,187 Posts
    • 24,544 Thanks
    catznine
    • 6th May 05, 12:17 PM
    • 6th May 05, 12:17 PM
    Orange sorbet. using the orange skins as dishes to pile the sorbet back into.
    by moggins
    Nope couldn't find the recipe! Please, Please Moggins can you post the recipe before these oranges completely take over my kitchen
    Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind.

• Galtizz
    • 6th May 05, 12:19 PM
    • 6th May 05, 12:19 PM
    Is it on the recipe index yet? Hang on I'll go look.............
    by catznine
    I can't find it on there, tut tut Squeeky, you missed one. I think you should go back and re-check what you have done (only joking)

The recipe is HERE on the second page, I've posted a link to the whole thread because it is similar to this one and it has other recipes to (like marmalade)
    When life hands you a lemon, make sure you ask for tequilla and salt
  • Caz2
    • 6th May 05, 2:29 PM
    • 6th May 05, 2:29 PM
    Hi all thanks for your responses. I really wanted to make marmalade for xmas presents but every cook book i have says to use seville oranges! has anyone made marmalade out of bog standard oranges or does it turn out to sweet?
    • Caterina
    • By Caterina 6th May 05, 2:36 PM
    • 5,809 Posts
    • 40,356 Thanks
    Caterina
    • 6th May 05, 2:36 PM
    • 6th May 05, 2:36 PM
    Done and it was great! I also get lots of oranges and grapefruits in the veg/fruit schemes and sometimes we don't eat them so I collect them and make marmalade. I usually go and buy a bag of organic lemons in Sainsbury to add to it for a bit of bite and more pectin but this is not necessary really!

I LOVE homemade marmalade!

Caterina
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
    • crana999
    • By crana999 6th May 05, 2:37 PM
    • 572 Posts
    • 270 Thanks
    crana999
    you can also just cut them into slices and eat them, yummy!
    • catznine
    • By catznine 6th May 05, 5:35 PM
    • 3,187 Posts
    • 24,544 Thanks
    catznine
    you can also just cut them into slices and eat them, yummy!
    by crana999
    I suppose you could freeze the slices - I do this with surplus lemons to put into summer drinks.

• moggins
    • By moggins 6th May 05, 9:49 PM
    • 5,177 Posts
    • 10,159 Thanks
    moggins
    Oops sorry, the parents arrived and then I had to run into town to find a dress to wear tomorrow

Glad you got sorted though.
    Organised people are just too lazy to look for things

F U Fund currently at 250
    • Glad
    • By Glad 7th May 05, 3:48 PM
    • 17,957 Posts
    • 39,913 Thanks
    Glad
    there was a recipe here somewhere for making marmalade from satsumas
    I'm a Board Guide on the Money Savers Arms, Discussion Time, Wales, Competitions, Marriage Relationships & Families, Health and Pet Care boards. However, please do remember, board guides don't read every post. if you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    Compers please read the Comping Guide
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 7th May 05, 4:30 PM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    yep... here you go... Click Here just substitute as required
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = 5.20 Apr 0.50
  • justin138
    too many oranges
    I've got eight oranges which are about to turn if we don't eat them quick. Burger all left to put them with except apples, so can't just do a quickie salad.

Any ideas what I can do with them? I know we won't eat them as they are, and don't want to chuck them out.

I'd prefer to cook them really, as they're a bit soft, but haven't any recipes.
    • tooting_jane
    • By tooting_jane 12th Apr 06, 3:06 PM
    • 157 Posts
    • 206 Thanks
    tooting_jane
    Juice them and drink or make frozen orange juice lollies. Or freeze the juice to use later e.g. chicken in orange sauce or something.
  • justin138
    Oops, forgot to mention - we're both vegans! I DO have some ginger nut biscuits - something in the back of my mind says they'd go well with oranges - but WHAT?
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 12th Apr 06, 3:16 PM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    Three threads that might help, though for one of them you'd have to juice your oranges first

- Orange juice - frozen, any ideas?

- Orange peels - what do do with them

- Oranges - 12 organic oranges, any ideas
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = 5.20 Apr 0.50
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 12th Apr 06, 6:20 PM
    • 5,665 Posts
    • 45,164 Thanks
    DawnW
    I've got eight oranges which are about to turn if we don't eat them quick. Burger all left to put them with except apples, so can't just do a quickie salad.

Any ideas what I can do with them? I know we won't eat them as they are, and don't want to chuck them out.

I'd prefer to cook them really, as they're a bit soft, but haven't any recipes.
    by justin138
    You could make lovely orange juice for breakfast tomorrow (keep in fridge overnight), or marmalade if you are feeling adventurous? Just use any old marmalade recipe, doesn't matter if it says 'seville' oranges, ordinary ones work as well.
  • justin138
    Well, being as I needed dessert today, this is what I came up with:

6 ginger biscuits in the bottoms of a dish.
    3 oranges peeled and shredded, mixed with a tbs of sugar, heated through, then added a teaspoon of "egg replacer" to make it thicken (could use cornflour I guess), then spread over the biccies. Custard, made with soya cream dolloped on the top of that.

I thought it delishus, Justin said it was OK, but he now tells me he doesn't like "hot" oranges. Ho hum. Going to send him to work with 2 tomorrow for lunch (being as he bought them and hasn't eaten them).

Thanks to everyone for their replies, it gave me the impetus to think of a use for them.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,064Posts Today

6,378Users online

Martin's Twitter