Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 4th Jun 11, 11:19 AM
    • 9,343Posts
    • 17,889Thanks
    zippychick
    • 4th Jun 11, 11:19 AM
    4th Jun 11 at 11:19 AM
    Hi everyone,

Welcome to the first Grocery Challenge of 2012

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your December budget, then keep on posting in the December Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be 1 a week or 20 a week.

If you are currently spending 200 a month don't suddenly drop it to 100 - you'll never do it but if you cut 20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is 80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on 80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    For quidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #3, #4, #5 and #6 on this thread.

For everyones totals, see post #7 on this thread

I hope everyone has a great month!

Zip
    Last edited by zippychick; 27-12-2011 at 12:52 PM.
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

Page 101
    • raphanius
    • By raphanius 14th Jan 12, 5:19 PM
    • 1,269 Posts
    • 6,634 Thanks
    raphanius
    Well my toilet roll dilemma was solved for me, after having decided to get 2 more packs, I toddled off to L*dl only to find that they had sold out
    Originally posted by sproggi
    i went in tonight for loo roll and mozarella...they had neither so i walked out without buying anything. the first time i have ever done that, normally i would buy something to go through the checkout. go me!
    Wins: 2008: 606.10 2009: 806.24 2010: 713.47 2011: 328.32

• majjak
    Welcome - this tread has really helped me reduce my food budget so good luck!

I have been pondering about this second purse and think that I understand it now. My problem was not having the spare cash in the first place to stock up on the bargains but I have just had a lightbulb moment in the bath
    Upstairs I have a small stash of winter warmers - ie tins and packets to tide me over if we got snowed in. My plan is to make a list of this stash and find out the current price - gradually paying the cash into my second purse as and when the items are used - thereby creating a second purse from nothing - what do you think? It should work shouldn't it?
    Originally posted by Ninno820
    Sounds like a plan Ninno
    Save 12K challenge 2015 # 173
    0.00/10,000
  • Long tall sally
    Been to Mr T, Mr S, Fa*mfoods & Hom*bargains & the market today. Stocked up on tuna in Hom*bargains at 4 tins for 2.99 and luckily had enough cash to pay as it was really busy in there & just as I got to the checkout they announced over the tannoy that due to an electrical fault, they could accept cash only. Wish I had got more fruit though but a) I had used most of my cash in Hom*bargains & b) I really couldn't carry much more. I did 3 trips to & fro back to the car, once for Mr T, once for Far*foods, Hom*bargains & the market and once for petfood & hay!
    Grocery aim 450pm.Spent 519 August, 584 July, 544 June, 541 May, 549 April, 517 March, 517 Feb,555 Jan, 573 Dec, 465Nov, 561Oct, 493Sept, 426Aug,496 Jul, 528Jun, 506May,498April, 558 March, 500Feb, 500 Jan, 490 Dec, 555 Nov,566 Oct, 505Sept, 450Aug, 410 July, 437 June, 491 May, 471 April, 440 March, 552Feb, 462Jan
    • meg72
    • By meg72 14th Jan 12, 5:31 PM
    • 5,082 Posts
    • 46,072 Thanks
    meg72
    Second shopping spree of the month which came to 223,90 for me, my cats and bunnies. Won't need much rabbot or cat food next week but will need laundry liquid. Enjoying this challenge.
    Originally posted by Catwoman103
    Think that must be a typo as its almost double your budget.
    Slimming World at target
    • mrs-moneypenny
    • By mrs-moneypenny 14th Jan 12, 5:34 PM
    • 15,518 Posts
    • 198,189 Thanks
    mrs-moneypenny
    it looks like theres an extra 2 in there to me
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
    • totallybored
    • By totallybored 14th Jan 12, 5:46 PM
    • 1,084 Posts
    • 2,506 Thanks
    totallybored
    Spent a whopping 107 today this did include quite a few things for stock though.

M&S for dine in deals, got 45 of food for 20 so very happy. I got the chicken deal twice and managed to find chickens work 9.08 and 8.68, both over 2kg. One will do several meals and lunches this week and the other is in the freezer. I used a 5 off a 25 spend voucher and a gift card so I never spent any money. I'm adding the amount to by total and popping the 20 in my holiday fund though.

Went to L*dl for the rest of what I needed and spent 43 but this included 8 pork chops which were on offer at 1.90 for 4, 5 bags of bread flour for my new bread maker, 10 cartons of juice, 8 beers and 2 bottles of wine, 6 mozarellas as I now make my own pizza and a 7.5kg bag of potatoes for 2. I was amazed at how much stuff I got for so little!

Called in Sainsbobs as I needed cornmeal for a recipe and only spent 3. Thinking of going back tomorrow though as De Cecco linguine in half price and I should have got more than 2. Kicking myself for not getting about 10 of these.

Got home and decided to go to As*a for yeast and the 50p tomatoes. Ended up spending 33 but got 20 cans of tomatoes to stock up on as I'm going to be making my own tomato sauces for pizza etc, some soup and a couple of months stock of fizzy drink cans that were on offer at 8 for 2 for us both to take to work. Spent about 18 on these but it's much better than us both paying 80p each for a can while we're at work.

I'm now up to 153 this month out of my 250 budget but I've got loads more food in stock and don't need much for the rest of the month now.
    • tessie bear
    • By tessie bear 14th Jan 12, 5:50 PM
    • 4,361 Posts
    • 30,013 Thanks
    tessie bear
    hi...cold here today had to have a hot choc with cream and marshmellows earlier to warm me up.....went to lidl earlier and spent 20 but got quite a lot....got some of the chocolate that was 22p,some lemons and yogurt...oh and some dishwasher tabs

going to costco on monday to stock up on a few bits so that will cost a bit

take care tess
    onwards and upwards
  • aberdeensaver
    Should really enter quote but can't remember who said it earlier in thread but SM are not our friends. Was reminded of the today when one swiss role with 12 servings is 1 and 2x6 servings comes to 88p. Discovered this in Mr Ts today while shopping for trifle ingrediants. THis is not the first time I've seen this and I'm sure others notice it to...also 4 individual tins of Mr Ts own brand beans cheaper than 4 pack. Shoppers beware...thought it would be worth bringing to others attention.

Anyway, enough from me. I'm really enjoying this challenge and the support from the threada. Thanks to all.
    Originally posted by jo84
    Very true, I realised today that A*d*'s own organic cannellini beans are cheaper per KG than their basic range!

I havent got my reciept to hand but must report two spends one of approx 5.60 last night in Mr T's but did find that Philly 300g family pack is on offer for 97p, also got YS bananas for 52p as well as the rest of the ingredients i needed for a lemon and lime cheesecake. OH says its the best thing he has ever tasted!

Last night I also made the sausage, leek and apple pie from the recipe page... now I have to admit I was dubious but it was GORGEOUS.

Went to Mr A for food for the week for the two of us. Spent 15 but they had run out of beef meat joints. OH has said we can use his M&S vouchers to get one tomorrow.

Out of interest people have mentioned a 5 off 25 spend in M&S, is this something that can be printed out or did it come through the post?

Wishing you all a good evening, off to morph chilli into buritos for dinner and then some cheesecake!
    Jan GC 242.38/250
    Feb GC 147.57 /240
    2012 Clothes Challenge 97.50/500
    Repay 5K in 2012 254.17/5000
    2012 NSD 14/200 (Jan 14)
    • SueP19
    • By SueP19 14th Jan 12, 5:58 PM
    • 1,706 Posts
    • 14,488 Thanks
    SueP19
    Thanks guys. I had antenatal depression because I had spd, then postnatal depression because my ex was having an affair (started while 8 months preg with my 2nd), then I had full on depression two years later because he was bullying me. I've been on loads of courses, and have come to realise I am a nice person who didn't deserve that, contrary to what he told me (!!), but it takes time. Work were really good, but thought I would go a bit funny again, as I had a miscarriage last year. Lots of the behaviours I have shown are a result of the bad times (like major stocking up), and although my youngest is now 5, it takes a long time to be ok again. For example, my weight fluctuates by up to 3 stone, depending on my mindset...

Anyhoo, onwards and upwards!! I am planning on shopping tomorrow, with 6 things on my list! If I stay out of sms today, this will be nsd number four-in-a-row! Nowhere near as amazing as JackieO, but great for me! Actually, just looked at my spending diary, and I've only been shopping three times this year, so that means 11nsds so far!!! I'm so proud of myself! This may have to go into my 'little book of positives' tonight!!

Have a good weekend all,

PG x
    Originally posted by PennyGrabber
    Ah sweetie hugs to ya......you have been through the mill, other people can be so cruel. My postnatal was bought on with 2nd child, our 1st died when I had pre-eclampsia and he was born early. It was when the consultants told me I could not have a baby naturally cos of my hips, went to pieces inside, then DD had whooping cough at 3 weeks old and stayed in hosp till she was 9 weeks, don't remember much of DD's first year

PS you DO sound a nice person, sh*t only happens to the best people
    Mort Oct 15 70,353 66,422 58,804 MF Dec 31 Jun 31(191 176 mnths)
    EF 2016 700/1,000 Debt May 09 30,217Oct 17 14,093Nov 18 6,336.12[/B]
    • wannabee_in_credit
    • By wannabee_in_credit 14th Jan 12, 6:01 PM
    • 1,735 Posts
    • 7,822 Thanks
    wannabee_in_credit
    Just popping in to report my weekly spend of 55.18 - taking me ever nearer my total for the month. I had a bit more time and was shopping in the town where my mum lives so went to H B'gains, @ldi and Asd@ to do my shopping today. I seemed to get an awful lot for what I spent and I'm really hoping I'm done with cleaning stuff for the foreseeable. As I got into Asd@ they were just doing a 3rd reduction on the whoopsies so I got lots of meat so shouldn't need any more at all for the month. Fingers crossed I stay in budget because although I only grocery shop at weekends (unless serious emergency) there are two more before I get paid and I'm already at 169.50
    Ninja Saving Turtle
  • minipenny
    Hi all, sorry for not being around I've got a job interview next week so Ive been manic about that and just too busy to stop lol I havent read back far but hope everyone is ok and this month challenge is going well

some totals to add
    21.86 - C0stc0
    1.89 - forgot my lunch so had to buy
    8.18 - Tesco
    So another 31.93 all in all

bought a couple bits from boots too (nappies mainly) but used my advantage card points so not going to add.....hope thats right..

Brings my total to 123.58 and we're halfway(ish) through the month......I think I may be on target here!
    Last edited by minipenny; 14-01-2012 at 6:04 PM. Reason: To add total

• scotmumof3
    • By scotmumof3 14th Jan 12, 6:07 PM
    • 1,783 Posts
    • 13,910 Thanks
    scotmumof3
    Thanks everyone going to declare a budget of 60 for this week NSD toiday but shopping tomorrow X
    LHS #217 DFW#1421
    debt free day 29th October 2020
  • LondonDreamer
    Out of interest people have mentioned a 5 off 25 spend in M&S, is this something that can be printed out or did it come through the post?
    Originally posted by aberdeensaver
    They were handing them out at the tills in my local the week between Christmas and New Year. Booklet of vouchers for the month, one per week. I love shopping in M&S anyway, but I've definitely been making the most of them by combining them with offers!
    • jen49
    • By jen49 14th Jan 12, 6:50 PM
    • 137 Posts
    • 642 Thanks
    jen49
    been a bit lax with my tracking but just done it now - so far for this month have spent 178.48 on shopping out 400. budget so I think I'm doing well and I get paid on 27th and have plenty in so hopefully wont need to get much next week so will be well under target for the month
  • LondonDreamer
    Popping in quickly to report a tiny spend in Mr T. My local actually had proper whoopsies tonight! Iced buns for 6p, Finest potato salad for 14p and rice noodles for 10p. So a grand total of 30p to add to my sig.
    • tigerfeet2006
    • By tigerfeet2006 14th Jan 12, 7:18 PM
    • 13,826 Posts
    • 29,891 Thanks
    tigerfeet2006
    Very true, I realised today that A*d*'s own organic cannellini beans are cheaper per KG than their basic range!

I havent got my reciept to hand but must report two spends one of approx 5.60 last night in Mr T's but did find that Philly 300g family pack is on offer for 97p, also got YS bananas for 52p as well as the rest of the ingredients i needed for a lemon and lime cheesecake. OH says its the best thing he has ever tasted!

Last night I also made the sausage, leek and apple pie from the recipe page... now I have to admit I was dubious but it was GORGEOUS.

Went to Mr A for food for the week for the two of us. Spent 15 but they had run out of beef meat joints. OH has said we can use his M&S vouchers to get one tomorrow.

Wishing you all a good evening, off to morph chilli into buritos for dinner and then some cheesecake!
    Please can we have the recipe Pretty please
    BSCno.87
    The only stupid question is an unasked one
    Loving life as a Kernow Hippy
    • SueP19
    • By SueP19 14th Jan 12, 7:23 PM
    • 1,706 Posts
    • 14,488 Thanks
    SueP19
    Welcome - this tread has really helped me reduce my food budget so good luck!

I have been pondering about this second purse and think that I understand it now. My problem was not having the spare cash in the first place to stock up on the bargains but I have just had a lightbulb moment in the bath
    Upstairs I have a small stash of winter warmers - ie tins and packets to tide me over if we got snowed in. My plan is to make a list of this stash and find out the current price - gradually paying the cash into my second purse as and when the items are used - thereby creating a second purse from nothing - what do you think? It should work shouldn't it?
    Originally posted by Ninno820
    I think that's a great idea, I only started last week and had to use some of my grocery budget, I bought some BOGOF items to start me. This week I have managed to up my 2nd purse to 7 cash left and 13 spend on store room stuff for a later date, so it soon takes off
    Mort Oct 15 70,353 66,422 58,804 MF Dec 31 Jun 31(191 176 mnths)
    EF 2016 700/1,000 Debt May 09 30,217Oct 17 14,093Nov 18 6,336.12[/B]
    • Mrs Veg Plot
    • By Mrs Veg Plot 14th Jan 12, 7:25 PM
    • 894 Posts
    • 11,501 Thanks
    Mrs Veg Plot
    Have not been on here for a week but Iam please to report things are going well.

Grocery spends this week total 81.74. so the total is 16194 for the month. This includes a top up on my shampoo as it was on offer in Wilkinsons and an unplanned pork loin that I will cook a dfreeze sliced as sandwich ham.

Meal planning and stopping food wastage is all going well and helping to reduce the grocery spend.
    I am playing all of the right notes just not necessarily in the right order .
  • aberdeensaver
    Please can we have the recipe Pretty please
    Originally posted by tigerfeet2006
    You certainly can although it was a partial experiment!

100g NICE biscuits
    200g digestives
    100g butter
    2 tsp golden syrup
    250g mascarpone cheese
    100g Philly
    175ml condensed milk
    2 limes
    1 lemon

Bash the biscuits in a bag until they turn to dust
    Melt the butter and golden syrup and then add the biscuits
    Push the biscuit mixture into a loose bottom tin and stick in the fridge for one hour

Put all the cheese and milk in a bowl and blend ( I gave up and did mine with a hand blender )
    Add the zest and juice from the fruit and stir until blended
    Smooth the mixture over the biscuit base and stick back in the fridge

Enjoy!!!
    Jan GC 242.38/250
    Feb GC 147.57 /240
    2012 Clothes Challenge 97.50/500
    Repay 5K in 2012 254.17/5000
    2012 NSD 14/200 (Jan 14)
    • rising from the ashes
    • By rising from the ashes 14th Jan 12, 7:51 PM
    • 12,321 Posts
    • 59,551 Thanks
    rising from the ashes
    Ohhhh you've reminded me of a sausage & leek hash that I used to make a long time ago - it was one of these one pot things that was fab (less washing up!) and had mustard in.

Must have a hunt for that recipe tomorrow!
    Grocery Challenge 211/455 (01/01-31/03)
    2016 Sell: 125/250
    1,000 Emergency Fund Challenge #78 3.96 / 1,000
    Vet Fund: 410.93 / 1,000
    Debt free & determined to stay that way!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

828Posts Today

6,712Users online

Martin's Twitter