Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 4th Jun 11, 11:19 AM
    • 9,343Posts
    • 17,889Thanks
    zippychick
    • 4th Jun 11, 11:19 AM
    4th Jun 11 at 11:19 AM
    Hi everyone,

Welcome to the first Grocery Challenge of 2012

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your December budget, then keep on posting in the December Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be £1 a week or £20 a week.

If you are currently spending £200 a month don't suddenly drop it to £100 - you'll never do it but if you cut £20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is £80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on £80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    For quidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #3, #4, #5 and #6 on this thread.

For everyones totals, see post #7 on this thread

I hope everyone has a great month!

Zip
    Last edited by zippychick; 27-12-2011 at 12:52 PM.
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

Page 93
    • linz4383
    • By linz4383 12th Jan 12, 9:34 PM
    • 287 Posts
    • 4,276 Thanks
    linz4383
    well just 2 small spends today small bottle of juice at work 61p .. thats very good normally it wud b around £3
    and also my ex got me a LARGE bag of tatas for just 2.50 so they should last a while
    had LO's for t as bubble and squeak... never had it before but really enjoyed it
    tomorrow SHOULD b a NSD but i am at work tomorrow nite and there may b sum bargain whoopsies i will b keepin my eye out.. cant resist a good bargain especially the meat but well see
    House deposit £0/£10000
    Loan £6,065.43- £5803.30
    credit card £3,932.25 - £4233.40
    • ModestyB
    • By ModestyB 12th Jan 12, 9:37 PM
    • 1,573 Posts
    • 15,283 Thanks
    ModestyB
    Evening all, another spend today, got dog food from pet shop, 15kg for £25 which was down from£35+. Then £16.73 on milk, faggots and dog treats at Mr S. That was 24 cartons of milk. Will be having £6.00 back for half of that as DS asked me to pick some up for him. Brains faggots were on offer at £1.07 for six. We separate them into packs of two before freezing them, they make a great stew with mixed veg over mashed potatoes.
    Hugs to all.
    Be Well.
    S.P.C. 9 2016 No. 062 Banked £337.50
    My Gold Stars off Sue.
  • destroyerofdebt2011
    Wow this thread is moving so quickly this month! Hope everyone is bright and cheerful.

Just a small spend today on some great whoopsies for me... bags of salad marked down to 15p each, pk of bagels 9p, 12 bridge rolls 9p, punnet of cherries 25p, 4 multigrain rolls 9p

So with the milk i wanted and some bananas and cabbage to top up the fruit and veg supply i spent a grand total of £2.89. Some how i may just manage this £25 till the end of the month and not break the diet either .

Plus my packed lunches are causing a lil bit of a stir.. dunno whats wrong with a UFO for lunch.
    HSBC £3223.20 £2060.00
    Cap1 £1724.91 £1782.00
    OD £939.78 £200.00
    No 49 of £2012 in 2012.. £645.10 so far & Crazy Clothes £14.09/£100.00 ReducingtheToiletryStash2012 UU12/IN 20 March Grocery 0.00/£65.00 & LbsNot£s Lost 14Lbs
    • carolinerunner
    • By carolinerunner 12th Jan 12, 10:03 PM
    • 491 Posts
    • 6,304 Thanks
    carolinerunner
    Just £3.50 on a twin pack of M&$ posh sausages to report, had these before and they're really nice, pretty decent price for 16 sausages! Even DH liked the spicy parsnip soup made for 29p's worth of parsnips, along with toast from the 25p posh organic loaf in the freezer.. he's getting the idea, I think!
    Destroyer, what kind of lunch is a UFO?!
    Erratically money saving
    • greent
    • By greent 12th Jan 12, 10:16 PM
    • 8,105 Posts
    • 82,311 Thanks
    greent
    Destroyer, what kind of lunch is a UFO?!
    Originally posted by carolinerunner
    I'm guessing an unidentified freezer object - something unlabelled and unidentifiable until defrosted
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786 12/18 £54829 2019 OPs (#18) £1972.10/£5K
    Net sales 2019 £173.62/£500
  • WelshDreamer
    Had to pop into mr t£$co tonight managed to fill the fruit bowl and lunch meats for £4 fairly lucky with the whoopsies tonight .... month is plodding nicely on target and still quite well stocked up...
    march Grocery Challenge 2012 £187.00/£285
    Weekly spend 11th march £0.00/£20.00
    5/17 NSD march
    10/14lb..2012 loss...1st/5st
  • Sazdaz
    I cant believe we are on the 12th of the month and i have only spent £40 on food. I think i am going to make it this month. Have started a Mr S shop online to do on OH payday by working out what is already in the cupboard freezer etc. have to do a £50 shop to get £10 discount so anymoney not spent I will work on next months food plan and buy bits for that so next month may be an even better month.
    APR NSD - 0/10
    Paid off in 2013 so far £125.00
    April Money made - £18.00
    • Florenceem
    • By Florenceem 12th Jan 12, 10:28 PM
    • 3,984 Posts
    • 52,562 Thanks
    Florenceem
    Reporting a NSD.
    I am halfway to my NSD target.
    15 in 2015 1/15
    • Ches
    • By Ches 12th Jan 12, 10:30 PM
    • 1,105 Posts
    • 10,371 Thanks
    Ches
    Came in this week at £3.65 under budget. We will be away from home for most of next week so I am not going shopping at all. The odd days we are here we will eat out of the cupboards so no challenge for me for the coming week. Normal service will be resumed tomorrow week.
    Mortgage and Debt free but need to increase savings pot.
    • Fiasco55
    • By Fiasco55 12th Jan 12, 10:40 PM
    • 1,345 Posts
    • 15,364 Thanks
    Fiasco55
    I stopped by Mr S tonight and managed to pick up some good reductions on a few things for tonights dinner. I had a friend over so ended up with

2 steaks £3.11
    Ready to roast parsnips 35p
    ready mashed turnip 24p
    salad bag 29p
    napkins 50 pack 61p
    strawberry milk shake 79p 1l size
    Fresh cream cakes apple x 2 79p

Steaks were very nice and my friend enjoyed the meal. So much so that they are going yellow sticker hunting tomorrow.

Also got some flavoured water, baked crisps and pate etc. Total food spend £10.71.

I am going to have a goats cheese salad for lunch tomorrow. I will use the salad bag bought tonight with the goats cheese I already have in the fridge.
    No buying toiletries Graduated May 2017

Decluttered 2016 2469 items, 2017 1580 items
    2018 3060 items

Sealed Pot Challenge No 038
    • Coxy11
    • By Coxy11 12th Jan 12, 10:43 PM
    • 2,295 Posts
    • 27,317 Thanks
    Coxy11
    Evening everyone,

Just on to say that I've decided to operate a 2nd purse system (thank you to the lady who devised this system). I've been online to MrT and C00p and have decided to buy teabags, kenc0 refills and olive oil with this month's £10. Will be shopping tomorrow and will be stashing these items away in the back of a cupboard until we need to 'buy' them back. I am very excited about this small change. Blimey I sound like a saddo!

Keep up the good work everybody
    Cross-stitch WIP #1: Collecting Shells by Nancy Cole
    Cross-stitch WIP #2: Pretty Little London by Satsuma Street
    • MissOrganised1972
    • By MissOrganised1972 13th Jan 12, 6:15 AM
    • 174 Posts
    • 3,644 Thanks
    MissOrganised1972
    Had thought I would be able to wait until the weekend for main shop but needed 1 or 2 things & so decided it would be best to buy everything at once to avoid multiple trips to SM & potential multiple overspends. I went to Al*i, M*rrisons & T*sco. Had intended to go to just Al*i & Mr M but (with my T*sco priced list in hand) I was surprised how much more expensive Mr M was! So, ended up with quick whizz to T*sco too! Spent £31.34 (budgeted £30) but that included everything (I think) for the meal plan til a week Sunday (apart from the 3 things I forgot-which I'll grab today).

Simple Goan Chicken curry for tea tonight!
    2017 GC O-£93.46/£160; S-£136.26/£160; A-£130.55/£160; J-£47.12/£160;
    J-£106.63/£190; M-£70.29/£160; A-£197.88/£180; M-£219.35/£180; F-£294.14/£160; J-£168.67/£160
    2016 GC £2322.39/£2285; GC-2012-2015 - £9789.91/£7773!
    for 2 adults & 2 kids (13 & 11) for all food,toiletries,cleaners etc

• prophecy_grrl
    • By prophecy_grrl 13th Jan 12, 7:52 AM
    • 668 Posts
    • 3,379 Thanks
    prophecy_grrl
    Just a quick update - I spent £8.30 on GC this week, so am up to £29.37 so far this month. I budgetted £50 to spend to this point, so am doing really well. Have been sticking to my meal pln religiously and it's working a treat - as an added bonus I've lost a few lbs too!

Have to do a small shop next week - budgetted £25, have done meal plan and estimate that I'll need to spend around £20, less if I can help it!

Thanks to all GC posters for the continued motivation

p_grrl x
    *** PROPHECY_GRRL***
    *** DEBT FREE AS OF 17/10/11 - I DID IT!!! ***
    • quintwins
    • By quintwins 13th Jan 12, 8:20 AM
    • 5,003 Posts
    • 29,347 Thanks
    quintwins
    hmmm the pancakes i bought yesterday were abit mouldy this morning, not too bad tho so i picked it off and gave theem to them anyway thats never happened to me with whoopsies before the rest are in the frezzer so hope there ok

im feeling very unwell today im trying to drink some coffee, i havent lifted anything out for dinner, the kids can have scotch eggs and spagetti cause hubbys not feeling great either so i won't know if he wants anything til hes home, i dont think i can eat anything i might try a cupa soup or something at tea time if i feel any better
    DFW £7632/£28996 26.3%
    • TylersMummy
    • By TylersMummy 13th Jan 12, 8:28 AM
    • 132 Posts
    • 1,218 Thanks
    TylersMummy
    Hello all! Had a very well behaved week as I've had 3 NSDs since Sunday and hoping for at least one more by this Sunday.

Have spent £8.15 this week but have got quite a lot for this and some amazing buys as have been to Mr T twice in the evening and got some wonderful reduced items, such as a cabbage 2p, some casserole veg for 8p, a Happy Egg Co. quiche 7p, 2 chicken and white wine pies for 9p each, and a tonne of rolls for the freezer for OHs lunches and they were only about 15p a packet Also got milk, some chicken fillets and razors which is stuff we needed.

Am thinking we should definitely be able to stick to our £100 budget this month

Good luck all, keep it up

Mummy to 1. Devoted wife. Christmas addict! Life lover. Thrifter & Crafter. OU Student
  • lemmings1986
    morning guys hope every1 is well
    thanks suffolklass and budget123 for ideas will give them a try
    nsd today as just got home from work so off to bed and back at work tonight and taking packup so shouldnt spend anything.
    have got a busy at work this week so not having a day off but am off monday and tuesday HOPEFULLY so plan to do loads of batch cooking to put in freezer for meals for me n oh to take to work,freezers are still quite full but its all meat and no leftovers left or anything you can cook without defrosting it so plan for monday,tuesday is chicken chausser,chicken curry,chicken pie with mushroom soup,pastabake with chicken or mushroom soup,spaghetti bolognaise,cheese and onion pastys and bacon and tomato pie.ps we like chicken and wont have to buy anything as we have it all in to make these meals
    also quick question if i made mash and roastys could i freeze them????
    VSP#17 £2.34
    debt free 26/10/2012
  • lemmings1986
    just checked on google and found this
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=64382&page=2
    i love
    also found a recipe on here for patato cakes posted by mrsatobe may have to give them ago for anyone interested the recipe is

mrsatobe
    Here's the recipe I use:

450g cooked potatoes
    25g melted butter
    3 tablespoons flour
    Salt and pepper
    40g butter for cooking

Mash the potatoes, if necessary
    Add the melted butter, stir in the flour, salt and pepper.
    Turn the mixture onto a floured surface, and press out until 1cm thick.
    Cut out with 7.5cm cutter.
    Melt the cooking butter over a moderate heat, and then fry the cakes for approx 3 mins each side.
    Last edited by lemmings1986; 13-01-2012 at 8:49 AM.
    VSP#17 £2.34
    debt free 26/10/2012
    • tigerfeet2006
    • By tigerfeet2006 13th Jan 12, 8:50 AM
    • 13,812 Posts
    • 29,889 Thanks
    tigerfeet2006
    Dinner last night was Bacon, broccoli and pasta bake (GF and DF). I made two one GF and one normal. For the GF one I used MrT Free From pasta and Doves Farm GF Plain flour, MrT own mustard and Genius bread blitzed to make crumbs. To make it DF use Lactofree Milk and cheese and something like Pure Spread or most baking marg's are DF as well.

As I did two lots this fed the five of us and the three kids will have it for dinner tonight as well. We have a special offer booklet through from Subway so we are going to treat ourselves to a Sub tonight once DH and the two eldest have come back from cubs/beavers and they are in bed. Bliss!

This serves four people.

Put water on to boil for pasta. Chop 250gm bacon and fry off( I used MrT value cookin bacon 99p for 500gm). Put pasta in boiling water to cook (I use MrT value pasta, 25p for 500g). Chop a head of broccoli into florets (around 300gm Ish) and cook for 3-4mins. Make cheese sauce by melting 2 tblsp butter in a pan. Add 2 tblsp flour and keep stirring until you have a roux. Add a little milk and stir, add a little more and stir, keep doing this, you will need around 500ml. Add a tsp of mustard and season with S&P. Add 200gm mature cheddar (I used MrT British Mature White Cheddar 500gm £2.50). Keep a little to one side to sprinkle over the top.

Put pasta in an oven proof dish, mix in bacon, mix in broccoli, pour sauce
    Over and sprinkle LO cheese over the top. To make extra crunchy mix cheese with breadcrumbs and sprinkle. Put under the grill for 10-15 mins until bubbling.

REMEMBER TO CHECK ALL LABELS AS INGREDIENTS CAN CHANGE IN READY MADE PRODUCTS. Lactofrree products are lactose free but not casein free.
    Last edited by tigerfeet2006; 13-01-2012 at 10:36 AM.
    BSCno.87
    The only stupid question is an unasked one
    I now live in a country that is 4 hours ahead of the UK so you may now find I post at weird times
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]
    • tigerfeet2006
    • By tigerfeet2006 13th Jan 12, 8:57 AM
    • 13,812 Posts
    • 29,889 Thanks
    tigerfeet2006
    morning guys hope every1 is well
    thanks suffolklass and budget123 for ideas will give them a try
    nsd today as just got home from work so off to bed and back at work tonight and taking packup so shouldnt spend anything.
    have got a busy at work this week so not having a day off but am off monday and tuesday HOPEFULLY so plan to do loads of batch cooking to put in freezer for meals for me n oh to take to work,freezers are still quite full but its all meat and no leftovers left or anything you can cook without defrosting it so plan for monday,tuesday is chicken chausser,chicken curry,chicken pie with mushroom soup,pastabake with chicken or mushroom soup,spaghetti bolognaise,cheese and onion pastys and bacon and tomato pie.ps we like chicken and wont have to buy anything as we have it all in to make these meals
    also quick question if i made mash and roastys could i freeze them????
    Originally posted by lemmings1986
    You can certainly freeze mash. Not a 100% with the roasties but don't see why not. Hopefully someone else will confirm it.
    BSCno.87
    The only stupid question is an unasked one
    I now live in a country that is 4 hours ahead of the UK so you may now find I post at weird times
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]
    • carolinerunner
    • By carolinerunner 13th Jan 12, 9:05 AM
    • 491 Posts
    • 6,304 Thanks
    carolinerunner
    Evening everyone,

Just on to say that I've decided to operate a 2nd purse system (thank you to the lady who devised this system). I've been online to MrT and C00p and have decided to buy teabags, kenc0 refills and olive oil with this month's £10. Will be shopping tomorrow and will be stashing these items away in the back of a cupboard until we need to 'buy' them back. I am very excited about this small change. Blimey I sound like a saddo!
    Originally posted by Coxy11
    Coxy, I understand what you mean about going to these lengths possibly, to some, sounding like a saddo but just think of the lengths the SMs go to in order to persuade us to spend more money than we need to! (Saving you money every day my !!!!!). This is a very modest and proportionate response, in my view! I'm thinking of doing it myself (once I've worked out what the devil it is!). I don't think it is remotely saddo when you think about it like that

Got an Ocado 25% off voucher code so did a big shop to arrive Saturday 10pm - cheapest slot at £1.49. I find if you only buy occasionally from them, and ignore the 15% off vouchers, in the end they send you a 25% one.
    Last edited by carolinerunner; 13-01-2012 at 9:09 AM.
    Erratically money saving
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,367Posts Today

5,052Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the weekend, it's the weekend, yay. It's that moment, when as usual, to sign off for family time. So I bid y? https://t.co/2RYRnz3fEe

• Actually the BBC was set up to "educate, entertain and inform" so I think it is one of its responsibilities and cle? https://t.co/HMP4Q2Uptu

• Today's FRI twitter poll: Puritanical new laws by Tories/Labour/EU/Trump/Putin (pick ur own scapegoat) dictate mode? https://t.co/3LW55tFGJ9

• Follow Martin