Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 4th Jun 11, 11:19 AM
    • 9,343Posts
    • 17,889Thanks
    zippychick
    • 4th Jun 11, 11:19 AM
    4th Jun 11 at 11:19 AM
    Hi everyone,

Welcome to the first Grocery Challenge of 2012

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your December budget, then keep on posting in the December Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be 1 a week or 20 a week.

If you are currently spending 200 a month don't suddenly drop it to 100 - you'll never do it but if you cut 20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is 80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on 80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    For quidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #3, #4, #5 and #6 on this thread.

For everyones totals, see post #7 on this thread

I hope everyone has a great month!

Zip
    Last edited by zippychick; 27-12-2011 at 12:52 PM.
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

Page 73
    • angelatgraceland
    • By angelatgraceland 8th Jan 12, 10:10 PM
    • 3,318 Posts
    • 23,074 Thanks
    angelatgraceland
    Hi all, hope you've all had good weekends. I've had my children the whole weekend so I haven't been on here so much. We've had a lovely time. Yest did the main weekly shop, for 21 and some pennies, having been to the library first, so they both sat in the trolley reading all the way round!! Meant I didn't add any "Mummy can I haves" to the trolley.

Dinner yest was supposed to be hm pizza, but we got dragged to pizza h^t for lunch. We had a kids eat free voucher (7 kids, 6 adults), and my share of the bill ended up being 10.50. My mates laughed at the though, as when we were waiting for our pizzas to be cooked, i said that I was filling up on unlimited free salad and taking my pizza home for dinner. They found that funny, but carried on eating. Anyway, two massive bowls of salad later (only one with sauce - watching waistline!), I ate two pieces of a medium pizza, then we paid. The people at the other end of the table to me looked over and laughed, "Oh, you weren't joking then!! It'll do you for dinner, I suppose." I merely looked back at them, and said, yes, and lunch tomorrow!! I was comfortably full, and they were rolling out, having stuffed on salad AND pizza!

Dinner then ended up being tom soup, and dinner tonight was hm chicken nuggets - they love making those! I love that it feels unhealthy, but isn't at all! Have enough left over for them both to take some to school with a mini pot of ketchup.

NSD today, and prob tom too. Don't actually need anything at the moment, but I usually end up at a sm on a tues. A mate is coming over this week though, so may be able to avoid it, in which case may be able to go until Fri eve or sat before shopping again.

On the bad news front, my kitchen ceiling started leaking today. Not good, as it was only last month that my dining room ceiling was leaking!!! There'll be a bill for that tomorrow when the plumber (a mate) has been back to sort it out. Hopefully it'll be small, as this year I've already had to tax 2 vehicles and have 1 MOT done! And it's only the 8th!!!

PG x
    Originally posted by PennyGrabber
    Now that is my kind of eating out! Re your ceiling though-should you not claim on your buildings insurance?
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is 1500 pa 125 calendar month 28.84 pw for 3 adults
  • rej-c
    I'm still reading - just about 20 pages further back! - so ducking in to add 2 NSDs for this weekend. Today I did intend to get a few things for next week's meals, but looking at the meal plan I realised we didn't need anything urgently, so I could leave it for a day or two and have a lazy day in the house instead [aside from the 20 minutes on Wii Fit. ]

It's 'beans etc on toast' [onions, mushrooms, slices of veg sausages etc] tomorrow night, and Him Indoors will now be out on Tuesday night, so I'll drop the SC stew and treat myself to something HM he's less keen on than I am - bubble and squeak maybe...
    Haven't done the GC since February, but a glance at the Tower of Receipts tells me I really need to get back into it... and plenty of other Challenges besides.
    • meg72
    • By meg72 8th Jan 12, 10:12 PM
    • 5,082 Posts
    • 46,072 Thanks
    meg72
    Evening all. Was going to nip on to report a NSD but OH just came back from MrS with whoopsies and spent 3.50. A pasta salad pot for 40p for DD or mines pack up tomorrow, a paella for 99p for himself for lunch, a turkey breast roast for 99p for dinner tomorrow night with a bag of sliced leek and cabbage to go with it for 10p and a pack of cod fillets for 99p for the freezer for another night- battered cod bites and chips and peas, me thinks. I can't tell him off.

Planning a NSD tomorrow to put off big shop once again. Am short of fruit but we can have a can of peaches with yoghurt for breakfast, will make do.
    Originally posted by medsdemon
    So glad you didnt tell him off, a OH like that deserves a big hug.
    Slimming World at target
    • linz4383
    • By linz4383 8th Jan 12, 10:17 PM
    • 287 Posts
    • 4,276 Thanks
    linz4383
    Hi all, hope you've all had good weekends. I've had my children the whole weekend so I haven't been on here so much. We've had a lovely time. Yest did the main weekly shop, for 21 and some pennies, having been to the library first, so they both sat in the trolley reading all the way round!! Meant I didn't add any "Mummy can I haves" to the trolley.

Dinner yest was supposed to be hm pizza, but we got dragged to pizza h^t for lunch. We had a kids eat free voucher (7 kids, 6 adults), and my share of the bill ended up being 10.50. My mates laughed at the though, as when we were waiting for our pizzas to be cooked, i said that I was filling up on unlimited free salad and taking my pizza home for dinner. They found that funny, but carried on eating. Anyway, two massive bowls of salad later (only one with sauce - watching waistline!), I ate two pieces of a medium pizza, then we paid. The people at the other end of the table to me looked over and laughed, "Oh, you weren't joking then!! It'll do you for dinner, I suppose." I merely looked back at them, and said, yes, and lunch tomorrow!! I was comfortably full, and they were rolling out, having stuffed on salad AND pizza!

Dinner then ended up being tom soup, and dinner tonight was hm chicken nuggets - they love making those! I love that it feels unhealthy, but isn't at all! Have enough left over for them both to take some to school with a mini pot of ketchup.

NSD today, and prob tom too. Don't actually need anything at the moment, but I usually end up at a sm on a tues. A mate is coming over this week though, so may be able to avoid it, in which case may be able to go until Fri eve or sat before shopping again.

On the bad news front, my kitchen ceiling started leaking today. Not good, as it was only last month that my dining room ceiling was leaking!!! There'll be a bill for that tomorrow when the plumber (a mate) has been back to sort it out. Hopefully it'll be small, as this year I've already had to tax 2 vehicles and have 1 MOT done! And it's only the 8th!!!

PG x
    Originally posted by PennyGrabber

hi could u tell me exactly how u do ur hm nuggets id love to try em, think my little girl would to thanks
    House deposit 0/10000
    Loan 6,065.43- 5803.30
    credit card 3,932.25 - 4233.40
    • Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 8th Jan 12, 10:28 PM
    • 3,038 Posts
    • 28,032 Thanks
    Suffolk lass
    Arg, the horror! I've actually run out of stuff!

Can anyone think of a cheap place to buy packets of seeds and nuts? Otherwise I've looked up the prices at my local food co-operative and they seem to be significantly cheaper than Sainsbobs, which is sort of annoying as I have a coupon for 2 off 20 that needs to be used up on Wednesday.

So next conundrum - what to buy at Sainsbobs? Or should I just let the coupon expire, as I have enough food for the rest of the week and plenty of stuff in the cupboard and freezer?
    Originally posted by bupster
    I usually buy nuts and seeds from Co-op - as you say, cheaper than many. I discovered they have 2 ranges; more expensive ones with baking stuff and cheaper ones with things like ginger and chillies in the green-grocery section. HTH

Holland & Barr*** have some offers on and an on-line service if none local - they typically do 125g from 1.99 and 500g for 4.49 Pumpkin seeds - not sure about delivery costs though...
    Last edited by Suffolk lass; 09-01-2012 at 8:26 AM. Reason: Just checked H&B offers
    MFIT T5 target to clear our mortgage completely (59,998) Q1 26,828 or 44.71% paid - Mortgage Free Wannabes 2019 #37 78.13% 31,251.65 including July
    Save 12k in 2019 - #68 target is 7k 4,998.99 or 71.41% after May
    OS Grocery Challenge 2019 target is 3k - 46.03% spent so far, mid July
    My DFD is here
    • PennyGrabber
    • By PennyGrabber 8th Jan 12, 10:34 PM
    • 1,268 Posts
    • 22,438 Thanks
    PennyGrabber
    HM Chicken nuggets
    Now that is my kind of eating out! Re your ceiling though-should you not claim on your buildings insurance?
    Originally posted by angelatgraceland
    To be honest, because it's my best mate's bloke, I'm sure it won't be much, and I don't like the idea of the house insurance going up or whatever because of losing no claims. It's all rubbish! He reckons it's a rubber seal that's gone that he has to replace. He has a key, and knows where the tea and biscuits are, so it's all good!

hi could u tell me exactly how u do ur hm nuggets id love to try em, think my little girl would to thanks
    Originally posted by linz4383
    Hi - they're the easiest things in the world to make. You take a chicken breast, cut it with scissors into small bits. Get three small pots/side plates, and put flour onto one, 1 beaten egg onto another, and breadcrumbs onto the last. I'm rubbish and have a tub of breadcrumbs in the cupboard for this, but you could use your own, or my friend uses crushed up corn flakes. Then, take one piece of chicken, put into flour, then egg, then crumbs, making sure you turn it over to fully cover. Sometimes, i put a bit of chili powder/random herbs and spices in with the crumbs to give them a bit of zing. Cook for about 20 mins or so - I never time, I just open one up to see if it's done, then that becomes the tester one . LUSH! And so much better than c**p-filled ones from the freezer.
    Last edited by PennyGrabber; 08-01-2012 at 10:36 PM.
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan 87.97/100 Feb 0/100
    Frugal 2018 needed! Saving and NOT spending
    • PennyGrabber
    • By PennyGrabber 8th Jan 12, 10:35 PM
    • 1,268 Posts
    • 22,438 Thanks
    PennyGrabber
    That's the first time I've ever multi-quoted - thanks to whoever it was (sorry, can't remember!) that taught us how to do it! x

PS Sig not yet updated, will do that when I've counted the pennies in my purse.
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan 87.97/100 Feb 0/100
    Frugal 2018 needed! Saving and NOT spending
    • linz4383
    • By linz4383 8th Jan 12, 10:40 PM
    • 287 Posts
    • 4,276 Thanks
    linz4383
    thanks penny grabber think ill take sum chicken out and do them ... hopefully shell like them as shes a fussy eater but shes took to nuggets at the moment and id prefer her to eat those rather than the c**p filled ones much better
    House deposit 0/10000
    Loan 6,065.43- 5803.30
    credit card 3,932.25 - 4233.40
  • helen jelly
    Budgets done to here

Helen :]
    Projects made for craft fair - 40
    1st fair on 13/4/14
    • meg72
    • By meg72 8th Jan 12, 11:16 PM
    • 5,082 Posts
    • 46,072 Thanks
    meg72
    Have just placed an order with approved foods as it is free delivery until Thursday. Wont update sig yet as sharing order and dont yet know what my share will be. Of particular interest to me is 800g tins of tomato paste for 40p, Britvic Cranberry juice 125ml 8p,seafood sauce 12 for 1.44 and 500g sesame oil 3 for 99p.Lots of other offers.
    Slimming World at target
    • mrs-moneypenny
    • By mrs-moneypenny 9th Jan 12, 6:45 AM
    • 15,518 Posts
    • 198,189 Thanks
    mrs-moneypenny
    morning all
    planning omlette at dinner time and quorn & leek pie for tea
    just off to to boys pack ups (mine go back to school today) then need to tackle some of ironing mountain
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
    • Meadows
    • By Meadows 9th Jan 12, 7:16 AM
    • 4,074 Posts
    • 10,404 Thanks
    Meadows
    Have just placed an order with approved foods as it is free delivery until Thursday.
    Originally posted by meg72
    Wants 5.25 for delivery for me compared the price of some items and found them cheaper here http://www.rosspa.co.uk/
    Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it.
    • janiepopps
    • By janiepopps 9th Jan 12, 7:21 AM
    • 69 Posts
    • 1,335 Thanks
    janiepopps
    So, having given myself a good talking to following my 70 food shopping spend in the first week of Jan (I live in a flat with one other housemate, but am only shopping and cooking for myself!!), I thought I would have a riffle through my two freezer draws to see what's what.

Holy guacamole! I've got:
    2 x 500g minced beef
    5 x 300g large prawns
    3 x Venison burgers (2 in a pack)
    15 x sausages
    5 x packs of pancetta cubes
    8 x pork steaks
    16 x chicken breasts
    3 x salmon fillets
    2 x 8 meatballs
    2 x 300g diced beef

Honestly, am I stockpiling for a nuclear attack?! With all this food, why am I even going shopping?! Aaaargh!

Anyway, I then made some soup using half a butternut squash, a sweet potato, a carrot, two sticks of celery, some chicken stock, chilli and coriander. Made enough for three days!

I will not go to Mr Ts, I will not go to W*itrose, I will not go to Mr Ts, I will not go to W*itrose...
    Originally posted by lula_moneybaggins
    This did make me laugh Lula, I don't go shopping any more (you know, the wandering round town looking for something to buy kinda shopping) so I wonder if the food shopping (aka hoarding) fills that empty void and getting something out the freezer just doesn't give that same buzz.

Whatever, but I am so with you

OH back to work today - poor think really didn't want to get up! I'm finally clear of most leftovers and use ups to make another meal today so gonna do a lasagne. Also gonna get a huge bag of frozen tomatoes out of the farm freezer, skin them then cook up adn reduce into a ragu type sauce which I will then freeze into portions. I only have to do this every 3 months of so although I'm planning to cook it in the parents house as they've got a woodburner which is on all day anyway which means I'll have to share!

Made soda bread last night, it was ok but not the best. Will pop out this morning for a fresh loaf for OH lunch, and I'll use up the soda bread. Also planning to make coronations eggs for his lunch - just egg mayo with a bit of mango chutney, curry powder, chopped onion & celery, s&p added. It makes an amazing sandwich, spreads the egg further and sneaks some veggies in too!

Have a great day all xx
    Last edited by janiepopps; 09-01-2012 at 7:33 AM.
    Jan '12 GC; 74.66/100
    2 saver club member #107
    • skilly
    • By skilly 9th Jan 12, 7:56 AM
    • 882 Posts
    • 10,225 Thanks
    skilly
    HI all, doing ok so far this month spent 29.47 Still seem to have loads of veg .going to have to make some soup I think to get rid of it or maybe freeze some .
    27 Sealed pot challenge 3496/4706.75/5 376.74/6 645.08/ 7 861.34 /8 786.90/9610.49/10 722.03 / 11? / gold star from sue
    • carolinerunner
    • By carolinerunner 9th Jan 12, 8:08 AM
    • 491 Posts
    • 6,305 Thanks
    carolinerunner
    Pennygrabber, you cunning mummy you! Interesting how hard you hard to work to convince your friends about a perfectly reasonable money-spending approach. Sometimes other people think I'm mad, I'm sure! I can see in their eyes they just don't get it...
    Week 1 over and so far, n budget, with most of the month's stock of wine safely stashed .
    Thankfully my car is a hybrid so the tax is 10 or 15 for the year, I actually like renewing it because it's so low! DH has just realised his MOT is overdue tho

Keep up the good work all! Esp those kicking the cigs!
    Erratically money saving
  • rosieben
    PennyGrabber, your HM Chicken Nuggets recipe is in the index
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • rachbc
    another 28 at asda - though 7.50 of that was on stiff for me rather than grocceries and 9 on a massive box of persil non bio which saves me a trip to sainsbury for fairy.
    People seem not to see that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • 98jdougl
    Can't believe how quickly this thread is moving - going to struggle to keep up with it the days I'm at work. Had another NSD yesterday but doubt we'll have one today - OH has an assessment this morning atthe medical centre to decide if his DLA will continue or not am so nervous about it, he doesn't realise how tight things are but if he loses his DLA we are screwed think that is what's been giving me the motivation of the challenge and not spending.

Got chicken out of the freezer for tonight but not quite sure what I'm doing with it yet hehe.
    • annem38
    • By annem38 9th Jan 12, 9:23 AM
    • 107 Posts
    • 1,637 Thanks
    annem38
    morning all, well came in at 51.51 for the first week so sort of on target for my 200 quid for the month, was hoping to come in for less as have mr t order to do and that will be about 70 quid if i'm not careful, on the plus side, do have quite a lot of meals in and have planned for the next 3 days, which is about 3 days longer than i normally plan for

while i am keeping tabs on grocery spending, wasn't writing down all my spends, but thought i would start keeping a running total of what i spend on craft things, to my horror i spend over a tenner just on bits and pieces without even realising it (magazine, silks, a hoop) now they will all get used (are being used) but its just another reminder to use up all the crafty bits i have before buying more stuff to start new projects, no wonder i never have any money!

right off to shops, i need bread and broccoli, but what are the odds that is what i will come back with??

anne
  • majjak
    Morning all,

Another NSD here

Trying to think about eating a bit healthier/cutting down portion sizes this week, as I got on the scales and had a big this morning !

Dinner tonight will be Waitrose whoopsied mousakka with lots of veggies to fill me up.

Wanted to make a victoria sponge but I know I'll eat it if I do . Why is it the fattening foods all taste so nice and the healthier options are so expensive !
    Save 12K challenge 2015 # 173
    0.00/10,000
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

70Posts Today

3,173Users online

Martin's Twitter