Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 4th Jun 11, 11:19 AM
    • 9,343Posts
    • 17,889Thanks
    zippychick
    • 4th Jun 11, 11:19 AM
    4th Jun 11 at 11:19 AM
    Hi everyone,

Welcome to the first Grocery Challenge of 2012

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your December budget, then keep on posting in the December Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be 1 a week or 20 a week.

If you are currently spending 200 a month don't suddenly drop it to 100 - you'll never do it but if you cut 20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is 80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on 80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    For quidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #3, #4, #5 and #6 on this thread.

For everyones totals, see post #7 on this thread

I hope everyone has a great month!

Zip
    Last edited by zippychick; 27-12-2011 at 12:52 PM.
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

Page 69
  • Ninno820
    Hello!

I know, not only am I new (though I have been lurking around for a while), but I'm late too! Can I join, pretty please!

Let me plead my case. We're just 7 days into the new year, and I've already spent:
    Tesco: 31.79
    Waitrose: 40.39

I am out of control!!! Plus, I have a freezer full of food! Can you please put me down for 120 and I'll have to learn some self-control for the rest of the month... Honestly, there's no excuse, there's only me to feed, after all! But I'm such a foodie and I walk around the supermarkets and get seduced by all the things I could make...

Be gentle...
    Originally posted by lula_moneybaggins
    I'm with you Lula - Waitrose is just heaven to meander - which is why I am trying to keep out of there! My aim, this year, is to avoid Waitrose and Tesco as much as possible - and shop in Ald* and Lid* much more than I have done - that way I am not tempted as much!

Happy birthday 123budget
    Today should be a NSD day - store cupboard porridge for breakfast, hm ham and vegetable broth for lunch and roast lamb from the freezer for dinner with apple cake and custardfor afters.

The sun is shining here - hope that its the same everywhere xx
    44 day challenge

1. Pay 650 off overdraft ( 288/ 650)
    2. Lose 12 lbs (4.5/ 12)
    3. Use YNAB everyday (6/44)
    • NickJW
    • By NickJW 8th Jan 12, 8:50 AM
    • 678 Posts
    • 13,646 Thanks
    NickJW
    Have you worked out how much you would of saved over a longer time........................I did and we could have paid for our house outright Over our married life it comes to to........................wait for it 68,640 (at todays prices)
    Originally posted by SueP19
    Crazy money! I haven't worked this out my the Demotivator calculated I would spend 100,192.50 in my lifetime!

Happy Birthday 123Budget!
    Grocery Challenge 14 Jan 14 46.05/130

Grocery Challenge 13 -spent 1453.06
    Grocery Challenge 12 -spent 1565.51

DFD 1st March 2011
    • blackandwhitebunny
    • By blackandwhitebunny 8th Jan 12, 8:58 AM
    • 489 Posts
    • 4,139 Thanks
    blackandwhitebunny
    This thread is moving so fast I'm really struggling to keep up.
    I've managed not to buy anything grocery wise since last weekend a first for me.
    My PIL have gone away for the week so left us a load of salad bits and a nearly full 4 pints of milk so didn't need to get those yesterday so only 6 at the market on fruit and veg instead of the usual 15 or so. We had picked up one of the M&S 5 of 25 spend leaflets so spent 20.01 there, mainly on sausages, bacon and fruit juice but I'm not sure if its going to be worth using any more of the vouchers as there really isn't that much we need from them. Last year we stocked up on their frozen chips but at the moment McC**ns work out at 50p a bag from MrS with vouchers so have got those instead. Then spent 9 in Sainsburys on various bits and pieces, including Benec*l yoghurts that work out at 91p for 4 with the voucher and Rock's squash as its one of the few I can find that has absolutely no artificial sweetners in it.
    So a total of 34.01 I'm doing well! (for me)
    I was off to conquer the world but I got distracted by something sparkly

• AlwaysHappy
    • By AlwaysHappy 8th Jan 12, 9:00 AM
    • 1,487 Posts
    • 11,732 Thanks
    AlwaysHappy
    So far I have spent 28.80 so a good week but there are lots of things I need on my shopping list and I am planning to do a large meat order next week so there may be tricky times ahead. I am enjoying taking control for once - long may it last.
    I'm not a failure if I don't make it, I'm a success because I :tried!
    • SueP19
    • By SueP19 8th Jan 12, 9:01 AM
    • 1,706 Posts
    • 14,488 Thanks
    SueP19
    Crazy money! I haven't worked this out my the Demotivator calculated I would spend 100,192.50 in my lifetime!

Happy Birthday 123Budget!
    Originally posted by NickJW
    It's so g@d damn scary, you don't surprise me..........off to try the demotivator
    Mort Oct 15 70,353 66,422 58,804 MF Dec 31 Jun 31(191 176 mnths)
    EF 2016 700/1,000 Debt May 09 30,217Oct 17 14,093Nov 18 6,336.12[/B]
    • sproggi
    • By sproggi 8th Jan 12, 9:01 AM
    • 1,517 Posts
    • 6,376 Thanks
    sproggi
    The pork curry that we were supposed to have on Friday, got put off until yesterday, the pork had not deforsted in time
    So Friday was a treat of fish and chips that came out of our entertainment budget.

Spent 11.65 in Mr T yesterday on milk, rice, mince and some yellow stickered fruit and veg including a few bits for mum and dad, they give me loads of fresh veg from their garden when they have it, so I do like to get them a few bits back.

Had a trip to the optician yesterday, not been since 2005 and knew that I needed some new reading glasses. They wanted me to try some verifocals too combine reading and long distance for when my eyes get tired (a little long sighted), well when they told me the price would be 365 with nhs discount, I swear the colour drained from my face
    So have now opted for 2 pairs, one for reading which will be the most used and another pair just to keep in the car for when my eyes get tired. Total now 156, still a lot, but less than half what they wanted to sell me and hopefully they will last me another 6/7 years.

DD2 wants me to take her to Mr M today, so will look for any bargins while I am there, I don't usually shop there as I find them quite expensive, but worth a try.

Sproggi
    'We can get over being poor, but it takes longer to get over being ignorant'
    Jane Sequichie Hifler
    Beware of little expenses.A small leak will sink a great ship
    Benjamin Franklin
    • SueP19
    • By SueP19 8th Jan 12, 9:05 AM
    • 1,706 Posts
    • 14,488 Thanks
    SueP19
    OK the demotivator says 128,000 in a life time but it says we use 5.5 weeks of salary to pay for it, another shock

Thats a over a months worth of joint pay on ciggies
    Mort Oct 15 70,353 66,422 58,804 MF Dec 31 Jun 31(191 176 mnths)
    EF 2016 700/1,000 Debt May 09 30,217Oct 17 14,093Nov 18 6,336.12[/B]
  • Brassic Park
    Spent 3.50 on juices yest. Today should be an NSD.

Have started my Mr T order for next week. Was going to get it delivered on Sat but delivery is 6! So will get it Fri instead and save 1.50, though that still seems a lot to pay for delivery.
    Future hopes, dreams & emergencies fund: 4,000
    No. Internet. Shopping.
    • raphanius
    • By raphanius 8th Jan 12, 9:25 AM
    • 1,269 Posts
    • 6,633 Thanks
    raphanius
    2.98 for bread and milk today from lidl
    Wins: 2008: 606.10 2009: 806.24 2010: 713.47 2011: 328.32

• minipenny
    Happy Birthday 123budget hope you have a lovely day!

Am venturing to costco today...........I know I said net month but I was dreaming about the bloody shop (sad I know lol) so I better go and check it out lol!!!!! I'm only going to look (yeah right) and maybe get the loo rolls as will save us a fortune. Have decided after trip I might work out a yearly budget for us instead because then I can stockpile so I might spend a bit more first few months and then much less thereafter.

Good luck to everyone stopping smoking. I've done 2 and half years now and saved myself about 3700. I honestly don't know how I was affording it!!!

• linz4383
    • By linz4383 8th Jan 12, 9:33 AM
    • 287 Posts
    • 4,276 Thanks
    linz4383
    hi guys.. does anyone have a recipe for a tomato soup at all?? my lil girl LOVES it .. but it has to be heinz she wont eat ne other! would love to be able to make and b able to freeze it into portion just the rite size for her thanks
    House deposit 0/10000
    Loan 6,065.43- 5803.30
    credit card 3,932.25 - 4233.40
    • sproggi
    • By sproggi 8th Jan 12, 9:53 AM
    • 1,517 Posts
    • 6,376 Thanks
    sproggi
    hi guys.. does anyone have a recipe for a tomato soup at all?? my lil girl LOVES it .. but it has to be heinz she wont eat ne other! would love to be able to make and b able to freeze it into portion just the rite size for her thanks
    Originally posted by linz4383

I have found this thread that might help, it has LOADS of different receipes on it, so you will hopefully find one that your daughter will like.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=168427

Sproggi
    'We can get over being poor, but it takes longer to get over being ignorant'
    Jane Sequichie Hifler
    Beware of little expenses.A small leak will sink a great ship
    Benjamin Franklin
    • linz4383
    • By linz4383 8th Jan 12, 10:01 AM
    • 287 Posts
    • 4,276 Thanks
    linz4383
    I have found this thread that might help, it has LOADS of different receipes on it, so you will hopefully find one that your daughter will like.

Sproggi
    Originally posted by sproggi

thankyou sproggi.. just avin a flick through now n saving sum recipes so when my shingles ave gone n i can go out to get the ingredients i shall give them a go.. hopefully ill find one she likes thanks
    House deposit 0/10000
    Loan 6,065.43- 5803.30
    credit card 3,932.25 - 4233.40
    • elly2
    • By elly2 8th Jan 12, 10:05 AM
    • 553 Posts
    • 5,227 Thanks
    elly2
    Morning all, NSD here today I cooked the chicken in the slowcooker overnight for dinner today and am making a chicken curry for tomorrows tea and would like to make it in the slowcooker but do i fry the mushrooms and onions first or just chuck them in raw ??. Had no luck with the corned beef but will see if h*rons have any of the sliced stuff as that may work out cheaper (will compare weights and prices tomorrow) have decided we must have hotpot on tues and nothing else will do. I will also dust the breadmaker off and make a loaf of bread (my panny has been sat on top of the cupboard for 6 months now) will need to buy some bread flour and yeast but i will use it at least once a week from now on (another personal challange).

• Old Meanie
    • By Old Meanie 8th Jan 12, 10:07 AM
    • 81 Posts
    • 333 Thanks
    Old Meanie
    Twas me

Easy peasy to do, layer sausagemeat at the bottom of a glass baking dish (doesn't stick to the glass dishes), add a few herbs if you want to, our sausagemeat had them in already. Cook for 15 mins in oven. While that's cooking, make up some mashed potato. Take out sausagemeat from oven, pour over a couple of tins of baked beans, top with the mash and some grated cheese. Pop back in oven for another 10 mins or so. Voila ! Basically, sausages, mash and beans but in one pot - less washing up too .
    Originally posted by majjak
    Thanks for the recipe much appreciated am going to give this a go. I am never too old to cook something new.
    • quintwins
    • By quintwins 8th Jan 12, 10:22 AM
    • 5,003 Posts
    • 29,347 Thanks
    quintwins
    good luck to all the stopping smokers i stopped nearly 6 years ago when i found out i was preg by the time i'd had my babies my cravings we're almost completely gone

we had chippy last night, i didn't even want one but hubby insisted, so i've told him no more til the freezers empty, i know we won't stick to that but it's worth a try

free lunch today at mil, and dinner will be the spag bol we didn't have last night
    DFW 7632/28996 26.3%
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 8th Jan 12, 10:26 AM
    • 16,756 Posts
    • 143,531 Thanks
    JackieO
    Hi Chums still not spending any money or going near a shop.My freezer is my shop and my cupboards are getting a good inventory taken to use some of the stuff up.really pleased at how stern I have been with myself I have a big notice pinned up in the kitchen on the fridge saying ,"Eat before you think of going shopping"I have menu's sorted out for the next week and nothing at all to buy.
    Onwards and upwards chums
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
    • totallybored
    • By totallybored 8th Jan 12, 10:36 AM
    • 1,082 Posts
    • 2,506 Thanks
    totallybored
    Today is going to be a NSD as I don't intend leaving my cave. I'm cooking a small ham joint atm that I bought at L*dl yesterday for 1.99 which will make some sandwiches for lunch, some left to take to work on Tues in sandwiches and a bit for my home made pizza tonight.
    • meg72
    • By meg72 8th Jan 12, 10:44 AM
    • 5,082 Posts
    • 46,072 Thanks
    meg72
    Happy Birthday 123budget......have a lovely day
    Slimming World at target
  • tracey12
    Originally posted by linz4383
    Hi Linz

My dd's love Heinz tomato soup and I found this recipe ages ago and they really like it and most people have the ingrediants in their cupboards.

1 x tin tomatoes
    1 x tin baked beans
    1 x tin carrots (drained)
    1 x large pickled onion (or about 4 small onions).

Blend all the above in a food processor or use a stick blender.

Add about 3/4 pint of chicken stock and heat up.

I know it sounds weird with the pickled onion but it does taste nice.

HTH

Tracey
    Officially debt free
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

112Posts Today

2,194Users online

Martin's Twitter