Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 4th Jun 11, 11:19 AM
    • 9,343Posts
    • 17,889Thanks
    zippychick
    • 4th Jun 11, 11:19 AM
    4th Jun 11 at 11:19 AM
    Hi everyone,

Welcome to the first Grocery Challenge of 2012

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your December budget, then keep on posting in the December Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be 1 a week or 20 a week.

If you are currently spending 200 a month don't suddenly drop it to 100 - you'll never do it but if you cut 20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is 80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on 80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    For quidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #3, #4, #5 and #6 on this thread.

For everyones totals, see post #7 on this thread

I hope everyone has a great month!

Zip
    Last edited by zippychick; 27-12-2011 at 12:52 PM.
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

Page 61
    • freyasmum
    • By freyasmum 6th Jan 12, 9:21 PM
    • 16,731 Posts
    • 48,923 Thanks
    freyasmum
    Lovebeingathomemum - Foraged deep into cupboards today and managed Nigella's s**t spaghetti for tea tonight - success with all family!

Reminds me of my childhood. When I used to ask my Mum what was for dinner she would reply "!!!!! and sugar"!

Please tell me what was in the spaghetti ....????
    Originally posted by Coxy11
    It's spaghetti alla puttanesca - w**re's style spaghetti in Italian.

Depending on the version you prefer, the story goes that cos it's so quick and easy to put together it was easy for all the ladies of the night to have between, ahem, shifts
    • stardrops42
    • By stardrops42 6th Jan 12, 9:21 PM
    • 855 Posts
    • 4,759 Thanks
    stardrops42
    Hi everyone

Decided to sit down last night and really look at how much we've been spending on food over the last year. Turns out we were spending approx 500 a month for 3 of us I can't believe it
    I'm so glad I joined this thread, it has really made me think about how much we're wasting
    Feb GC 80 per week (Well I'm gunna try)
    Diet starts today(31/12/16)! Only 18lbs to lose

4/2/16 - 13lbs to lose
    11/2/16 - 12lbs to lose
    3/3/16 - 11lbs to lose
    • Doom_and_Gloom
    • By Doom_and_Gloom 6th Jan 12, 9:33 PM
    • 3,839 Posts
    • 13,251 Thanks
    Doom_and_Gloom
    Year budget - 1,320.00
    Year Spent - 0,110.51
    Year left - 1,209.49
    Originally posted by Doom_and_Gloom
    Mr S spent - 9.40. In that shop my partner got milk for the month for himself.

Year budget - 1,320.00
    Year Spent - 0,119.91
    Year left - 1,200.09
    I am a vegan woman. My OH is a lovely omni guy
  • LondonDreamer
    Lovebeingathomemum - Foraged deep into cupboards today and managed Nigella's s**t spaghetti for tea tonight - success with all family!

Reminds me of my childhood. When I used to ask my Mum what was for dinner she would reply "!!!!! and sugar"!

Please tell me what was in the spaghetti ....????
    Originally posted by Coxy11
    It's spaghetti alla puttanesca - w**re's style spaghetti in Italian.

Depending on the version you prefer, the story goes that cos it's so quick and easy to put together it was easy for all the ladies of the night to have between, ahem, shifts
    Originally posted by freyasmum
    Just to add on to the above, here's Nigella's recipe.
    • angelatgraceland
    • By angelatgraceland 6th Jan 12, 9:59 PM
    • 3,318 Posts
    • 23,074 Thanks
    angelatgraceland
    Just filled in my spreadsheet for my spends so far:
    Spent 68.04 Real Val 89.41 Cost of Whoopsies 9.93 Worth 30.30 Vouchers 2.60
    So I still have 7 approx left until end of tomorrow! I think I will keep that in a separate purse. Very pleased that apart from petrol and hospital parking(20+3)that Ive not had any "other" spends this week. Going to type a list of what they are "allowed to eat" tomorrow while I am at work! I will leave it in a prominent place in the kitchen so hopefully they will go by it and not waste what needs using up in the fridge. Have my lunch ready-tin of WW soup, packet of couscous and a mince pie plus one for my workmate-they will get put on top of the storage heater to warm up for elevenses!
    Last edited by angelatgraceland; 06-01-2012 at 10:07 PM.
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is 1500 pa 125 calendar month 28.84 pw for 3 adults
  • rej-c
    Hope everyone's well, and doing well.

I've just added two NSDs [Tues and Thurs] and combined spend of 17.38 [Weds and today].

Need to do better on the NSDs and lessen the outlay on spendy days - a bit like the weight-loss 'calories in vs calories out' equation, easier said than done, but I know we can do it.

Now to spend the rest of the weekend catching up on this insanely fast-moving thread
    Haven't done the GC since February, but a glance at the Tower of Receipts tells me I really need to get back into it... and plenty of other Challenges besides.
  • minipenny

2) A 200 unexpected tax refund cheque And it didn't even cross my mind to order a takeaway
    Originally posted by XSpender

Thats when you know your at the top of your game I can only hope I can follow in your footsteps

Tonight i didnt feel well so only ate a third of my dinner which means I've now put the remainder in the fridge for lunch tomorrow lol

A quick supermarket question - we shop at Mr t on my theory that as we get cc points its cheaper as I use the cc points to buy things when the statements come through right? are you following me ?(I've probably lost half of you there haven't I lol!) is it much cheaper in say Icel@nd and @ldi? or is my theory correct that we get a bigger discount as will use the points? god I'm not sure that made any sense

• sonastin
    A quick supermarket question - we shop at Mr t on my theory that as we get cc points its cheaper as I use the cc points to buy things when the statements come through right? are you following me ?(I've probably lost half of you there haven't I lol!) is it much cheaper in say Icel@nd and @ldi? or is my theory correct that we get a bigger discount as will use the points? god I'm not sure that made any sense
    Originally posted by minipenny
    I get where you're coming from. Not sure I can explain my answer clearly though

You should be able to work it out. You get (e.g. - not sure of the exact details) 1 point for every pound spent and 1 point equals 1p to spend when the statement comes through. So for every you spend in Mr T, you get 1p off your next shop. And every in that next shop buys you 1p off the shop after that.

If I understand correctly (and I'm tired now so might not be thinking clearly), you're better off shopping elsewhere if it is cheaper because your points are only equivalent to a penny off. But if its the same price in the other stores or Mr T is closer/more convenient and only marginally more expensive then you might as well rack up the cc points.

In my experience, some things in A!di are significantly cheaper and better, some aren't so cheap and some aren't as good on quality. I've taken to doing my shopping all over the place depending on who offers the best value for money for a particular item.
    • angelatgraceland
    • By angelatgraceland 6th Jan 12, 10:45 PM
    • 3,318 Posts
    • 23,074 Thanks
    angelatgraceland
    Above correct "but" when you trade in the vouchers for days out or whatever they are worth? x times as much. so if when traded in theey are say 4 times the value(or whatever)then count those points as worth 4p each(or whatever the discount is) to see if you are saving or not.
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is 1500 pa 125 calendar month 28.84 pw for 3 adults
  • minipenny
    I never do the 4x stuff only double ups for presents perhaps or just on their own for groceries....thanks for understanding my ramble lol!

• minipenny
    I get where you're coming from. Not sure I can explain my answer clearly though

You should be able to work it out. You get (e.g. - not sure of the exact details) 1 point for every pound spent and 1 point equals 1p to spend when the statement comes through. So for every you spend in Mr T, you get 1p off your next shop. And every in that next shop buys you 1p off the shop after that.

If I understand correctly (and I'm tired now so might not be thinking clearly), you're better off shopping elsewhere if it is cheaper because your points are only equivalent to a penny off. But if its the same price in the other stores or Mr T is closer/more convenient and only marginally more expensive then you might as well rack up the cc points.

In my experience, some things in A!di are significantly cheaper and better, some aren't so cheap and some aren't as good on quality. I've taken to doing my shopping all over the place depending on who offers the best value for money for a particular item.
    Originally posted by sonastin

this makes sense!! i'll venture to aldi next week (is only down the road) and see what they offer....I have all prices for food we have on an excel sheet *geek* so should be able to print and take with me to compare thanks!

must remember 1 point is only a penny so if its cheaper than the pennys/cc points ill get then its worth the switch.

• JillD
    • By JillD 6th Jan 12, 11:50 PM
    • 1,768 Posts
    • 26,385 Thanks
    JillD
    Yay NSD for me
    Had planned spag bol for tea but as I am fasting for medical reasons I decided to do pizza for everyone instead as that blows my diet, so actually quite good for me to not have it. BM dough, 1/2 jar pasta saice left in fridge, and half peppers lying round the fridge.
    Pudding was cookies that we bought to go in a posh biscuit barrel for some friends for Christmas, but have realised we wont see them any time soon so we can eat the biccies instead, is that really bad

Just realised friend coming to do our hair tomorrow and I forgot to get cash out to pay her. Bah
    Jan GC: 202.65/450 (as of 4-1-12)
    NSDs: 3
    Walk to school: 2/47
    Bloater challenge: 0/0lbs

• kerri_dfw
    • By kerri_dfw 6th Jan 12, 11:54 PM
    • 4,556 Posts
    • 29,115 Thanks
    kerri_dfw
    Hi everyone

Decided to sit down last night and really look at how much we've been spending on food over the last year. Turns out we were spending approx 500 a month for 3 of us I can't believe it
    I'm so glad I joined this thread, it has really made me think about how much we're wasting
    Originally posted by stardrops42
    I've just totted mine and come to over 300 a month for just me on my own.

1.39 spent on bread + rolls this evening, reduced end of day in Mr W.
    Diary: Getting back on track for 2013 and beyond
    DEBT FREE 13-10-13
    Beautiful daughter born 11.1.14
    Mortgage: 399,435.91 377218.83
    Deposit loan from Dad: 900010000
    • lisakay
    • By lisakay 6th Jan 12, 11:56 PM
    • 434 Posts
    • 6,131 Thanks
    lisakay
    well i didn't quite manage the nsd that i anticipated. i was hoping to go from tues until sun, but really wanted to take advantage of the mr s fairy offer, so i dashed in there yesterday and bought 2 boxes for me and one for mum (that she's paid me for), but i also had some nectar points, more than i though in fact, so the 2 boxes cost me the grand total of 2.50.

only leaving the house tomorrow to go to the lotty to see if my shed is still standing after all the wind.

sunday is my weekly shop and only have a small list (for me, probably still quite long compared to some). seem to be under budget so far, but time will tell!

hope everyone is healthy and happy as i dont get much time to keep up with everyone xx
    freecycler and skip diver extraordinnaire
    • Save Dosh
    • By Save Dosh 7th Jan 12, 12:16 AM
    • 1,329 Posts
    • 15,828 Thanks
    Save Dosh
    Well spent 6.29 more, so added to sig. Thought I would add my first ever recipe, not one i have done myself, but got from Nigella. I must add that Nigella uses nothing but the finest, organic, etc. but this is the cheapie MSE friendly version, feel free to upgrade if you wish.

Digestives - Tesco value x 1/2 pack 25p
    2 x value cream cheese 1.00p
    Value lemon curd 22p
    Butter ????

Ok, so you mix the digestives and butter (sorry don't know how much) together to form a base, this is either done by hand by melting the butter and adding to digestives, or in a food processer by adding solid butter, then line a dish, pressing the crumbs into place, put into fridge for a while to set somewhat. you then mix together the lemon curd and cream cheese and layer on top of the digestive base. At this stage, you may leave plain, or cover, if you so wish with fruits, etc, maybe meringue, or banana, Nigella did fruits, but let your mind go wild. I am gonna do this this next week when i get the ingredients.
    August GC - Food 55.56/80 Alcohol 17.24/20
    Bulk Funds - Food 19.73
    -
    Save 12k in 2019 1,300/5,000 - #155
    • Meadows
    • By Meadows 7th Jan 12, 5:26 AM
    • 4,073 Posts
    • 10,404 Thanks
    Meadows
    Hi everyone Decided to sit down last night and really look at how much we've been spending on food over the last year. Turns out we were spending approx 500 a month for 3 of us I can't believe it I'm so glad I joined this thread, it has really made me think about how much we're wasting
    Originally posted by stardrops42
    Not too sure what mine is I allocate 500 but never actually check what I spend, I think some months are under and some over (but can honestly say no food is ever wasted). There was three adults but now just the two of us.
    My biggest problem is to ignore an offer or bargain as my freezers are nearly always fit to burst yet that meat I see can not be passed over as it is too good and offer.
    Also I have non perishable groceries everywhere (some times hard to keep track of again too good an offer to pass on).

I really should use up what is in my freezers I have stuff to last me months, can some one please put up the 'Police Do Not Cross' tape around the section of the shop I really do not need to look at so I only get that bottle of milk I went for and not six bags of shopping and why oh why did my Post Office have to move into my local co-op.... went to post something yesterday and came back with 4 things!
    Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it.
    • mumsiemum
    • By mumsiemum 7th Jan 12, 5:37 AM
    • 241 Posts
    • 2,608 Thanks
    mumsiemum
    Not too sure what mine is I allocate 500 but never actually check what I spend, I think some months are under and some over (but can honestly say no food is ever wasted). There was three adults but now just the two of us.
    My biggest problem is to ignore an offer or bargain as my freezers are nearly always fit to burst yet that meat I see can not be passed over as it is too good and offer.
    Also I have non perishable groceries everywhere (some times hard to keep track of again too good an offer to pass on).

I really should use up what is in my freezers I have stuff to last me months, can some one please put up the 'Police Do Not Cross' tape around the section of the shop I really do not need to look at so I only get that bottle of milk I went for and not six bags of shopping and why oh why did my Post Office have to move into my local co-op.... went to post something yesterday and came back with 4 things!
    Originally posted by Meadows

Love it!
    Pay all your debts by Xmas 2013 #008
    Finally debt free!!!!!
    • rising from the ashes
    • By rising from the ashes 7th Jan 12, 5:47 AM
    • 12,321 Posts
    • 59,551 Thanks
    rising from the ashes
    Originally posted by minipenny
    Agree with the others ...... I get a few bits at Mr T if I'm in the town where it is (limited choice of sm here and large distances between them).

Generally, I've found their "everyday" prices very high when compared to others (eg Ariel Gel = 8.17 and it's only 6.79 at Mr A! etc) but their offers are often good so I will buy / stock up on those things.

If you've alternatives nearby (Al*di, Li*dl, Farm*Froods, Home Bar*gains etc) then certainly worth a look as their prices are a lot cheaper for many staples / toiletries etc.

It's a 50+ mile round trip for me to go to Home Bar*gains (about 6.40 in fuel) but, even so, going every couple of months to stock up is still worthwhile .....Tilda Rice @ 99. (4+ @ Mr T so 3+ saved per bag), Toilet Rolls @ 2.99 for 18 (lots more @ Mr T or Mr A), Cat Litter @ 1.29 / 5 lites - I save enough on the cat litter to cover the cost of the fuel so everything else is a bonus! HTH

Originally posted by Meadows
    My problem too ...... I've 5 blocks of mince in the freezer and still nearly put some more in the trolley last week as it was on a 3 for 10 offer - thankfully managed to talk myself out of it that time but .....
    Last edited by rising from the ashes; 07-01-2012 at 5:51 AM.
    Grocery Challenge 211/455 (01/01-31/03)
    2016 Sell: 125/250
    1,000 Emergency Fund Challenge #78 3.96 / 1,000
    Vet Fund: 410.93 / 1,000
    Debt free & determined to stay that way!
    • Meadows
    • By Meadows 7th Jan 12, 6:15 AM
    • 4,073 Posts
    • 10,404 Thanks
    Meadows
    My problem too ...... I've 5 blocks of mince in the freezer and still nearly put some more in the trolley last week as it was on a 3 for 10 offer - thankfully managed to talk myself out of it that time but .....
    Originally posted by rising from the ashes
    See ..... the voices in your head are not always a bad thing
    Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it.
  • cheekychipmunk
    DH has come home with a ham knuckle from the deli counter at work (didn't realise they sell them cheap to customers when the meat has all been sliced off!). Was thinking of making some soup - any suggestions from the ever so resourceful people on this thread?
    January 2012 GC 296.96/300
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,163Posts Today

7,634Users online

Martin's Twitter